Mitre Corporation

Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews

Great work life balance and benefits
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Shiloh, ILJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: All about bottom line and no growth potential unless in right group
Management was not honest in making recommendations and providing personal assessments. Excellent co-workers and physical environment was excellent. Great learning opportunities.
Productive and Great Environment to grow and develop your skills
Cyber Security Engineer (Current Employee), McLean, VAJuly 8, 2015
Pros: MITRE people
A typical work day is working in an environment where new challenges always surfaces. Solving problems for the customer to help their daily tasks. Working for MITRE, I learned different methodologies on approaching problems. Applying Engineering concepts to complex problems. Management is very helpful in progressing your career. They stay engaged with the employee and work with them on accomplishing their goals. The hardest part of my job is having patience when approaching difficult problems and having patience with difficult individuals on certain tasks. The most enjoyable part of my work is the different tasks, working with different government agencies and learning different experiences from those tasks.
A Good Place to Work
Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Bedford, MAJuly 5, 2015
Pros: work/life balance, retirement benefits
Cons: not the best place for new employees fresh out of college
MITRE is a good employer - Market rate compensation, good retirement benefits, good work/life balance, great job security...but it's not a *great* place to work.

The culture very much depends on where you work in the company, both in geographic location as well as specific department, but in general things just happen slower than they would at a for-profit company. Middle management and executive leadership rarely seem to mesh in message.

Many have said "MITRE is a great place to retire," which seems accurate.
Good and fun environment
Desktop Configuration Specialsist (Current Employee), McLean, VAJune 30, 2015
Mitre is a very fun and professional environment. I have learned a plethora of different types of systems and what while working here.
Limited time opportunity.
Associate Technology Consultant (Former Employee), McLean, VAJune 25, 2015
Very friendly and supportive environment. Technology leaders are always happy to help in the learning process for entry-level candidates.
Great place to work - benefits and retirement are great.
Personnel Security Assistant (Current Employee), McLean, VAJune 3, 2015
I am a control center operator providing access control to employees and contractors. The management team cares about their employees and strive to get the best out in them.
Productive and Great Place to Work
HR Recruiting/Generalist Specialist (Current Employee), McLean, VAApril 24, 2015
Pros: Work-life balance
Cons: geographic
The most enjoyable part of my job is to learn new skills participating in training courses and other functional areas.Management is flexible and very understanding of work life balance.
Review Summary
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Shiloh, ILApril 20, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: Managers
A typical day at work would be badging in anywhere from 10 to 60 people to attend meetings. Booking travel for 1 or more engineers, and doing there expense reports. Loaning out computers that I have configured myself. Setting up classified meetings and managing a classified computer. Co-workers are challenging.

Hardest part of the job is managing our Corporate office's expectations, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the people
Systems Engineering Company
Senior Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee), McLean, VAMarch 9, 2015
MITRE is a Federally Fundunded Research and Design Corporation (FFRDC). Most of the projects I have been a part of are of the research and development (R&D) nature.
Busy, Challenging, Engaging, Satisfying
Group lead and Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Mclean VAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: na
Cons: na
I co-direct a team of highly skilled MITRE FFRDC professionals at an executive agency supporting cross cutting IT/Communication services, and support an enterprise architecture project for senior leadership communications.

In addition, I'm responsible for a group of employees in my MITRE department and manage them to their project in support of their perspective project directors.

My direct responsibilities to my sponsors are:
- Strategic Planning and Enterprise Architecture
- Systems Evolution Plan and Technology profile and forecast
Great life balance but advancement is highly political
Lead Communications Engineer; Terminal Systems (Current Employee), Bedford, MAOctober 26, 2014
Great life balance but advancement is highly political and compensation is also very much tied to that.
Is it really that much different outside of it? Probably not!
Thanks for your service and help!
Good work life balance, but...
Systems Engineer, Senior (Full Time) (Current Employee), McLean, VAOctober 25, 2014
Pros: great cafeteria, holiday/vacation time rates
Cons: mediocre compensation for the area, but it is a non-profit. no company sponsored events.
Pros:
A great place to work in the DC metro area. Expect moderate compensation, especially when considering that DC was voted the most expensive area to rent in 2014. I was fortunate enough to work alongside some very talented and intelligent people. There is a good work ethic vibe here, and colleagues are easy to reach out to for guidance, assistance, and advice. Communication is very open, people do not hoard information to protect their jobs here.

Cons:
Management seems somewhat disconnected at times, and loses sight of the real complexities involved in creating products for the sponsor. Management may or may not possess the software skills to even understand the work performed from a high level, so the complete value of team members may not be fully understood.

SMEs are sometimes more highly valued than the hardcore engineers that actually create the products.
We do mostly Government work.
Network/Telecommunication Specialist (Current Employee), McLean, VAOctober 14, 2014
I come in each morning and monitor and pick up tickets for end users with network, Phone or Video teleconferencing problems. I call to set an appointment to visit client. I then go to resolve problem and close ticket. I have learned a tremendous amount of network, Phone and VTC problem solving and end user solutions. My co-workers are great. Most enjoyable part is making the end user happy with the work I ahve done and completed.
Great Company
Lead Information Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Bedford, MASeptember 30, 2014
Work on top technology for some of the most important issues for the nation. Great pay and benefits. Great work life balance.
Great Place to work
receptionist (Current Employee), Chantilly, VA.September 24, 2014
Pros: fun loving
Cons: i'm a temp employee
Work days are great, I work with highly intelligent people. Everyday I arrive in the office I'm learning new things, and meeting new people. I love to keep busy so I'm associating myself with everyones job function. I really like speaking with the engineers I admire there work ethic. Mitre is a diversity organization, your working with people from all aspets of life, which makes it a fun workplace.
Lead Network Systems & Distribution Engineer (Former Employee), McLean, VASeptember 19, 2014
People are great, management is ok depending on who you work for.
Great place for provision of public service in advanced technology.
Lead Systems and Software Engineer (Former Employee), Bedford, MAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: great opportunity to serve the tax-payer.
Cons: availability of job funding.
A typical day at work is extremely professional in all ways.
I've learned cutting edge technology and how the military performs systems engineering.
The management is top notch and co-workers are high achievers dedicated to serving the public interests.
The hardest part of the job is out-pacing strict schedules and the
most enjoyable part of the job is know you have served the tax-payer of the USA.
Lots of exceptionally bright people
Senior Software Applications Development Engineer (Current Employee), Bedford, MAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: compensation not great, advancement process is convoluted
Management is extremely supportive. The work is challenging, lots of variety and opportunity.
MITRE is unique in that it is an FFRDC. This made it a great company to work for cause it didn't always look at the bottom line.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee), Bedford, MAJune 15, 2014
Pros: great management; true leadership from the top down.
Pretty much a normal 40 hour week. But, as a Senior Secretary, I often covered up at "Rug Row." There, supporting the various VPs and the President, I came in contact with many leaders from Capital Hill; that was an eye opener. I loved every minute. I worked at MITRE when there was the big transition into the computer world as a daily tool. It was, at times, quite intimidating. But I sincerely loved the people there. It was the best job I every had.
Great Company
Asset Control & Hardware/Software Technician (Current Employee), Bedford, MAMay 29, 2014
Great company. Much knowledge flowing about to absorb. Great management and peers.
Industry