Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews

Great place
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAApril 18, 2017
The staff are very friendly and has a great work culture. The benefits are great also. The management structure is very organized. I learned a lot during my career.
Great Work Environment
Senior Security Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAApril 10, 2017
Awesome coworkers, great work environment, not a lot of pressure, an awesome place to work! sometimes the work is a bit slow but it also is government work
Able to be promoted on a regular basis.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 4, 2017
A very large company that afforded many opportunities including new and improved applications to make my work easier. I was able to travel to meet request by HR and the Army. Excellent Managers and staff.
Pros
Diverse opportunities.
A great place to work
Analog/Mixed-Signal Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAMarch 30, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Mitre, I was involved in a diverse set of projects and worked alongside many talented engineers. Many of the managers have a wealth of experience in their fields, although there are a few singularities.
Pros
nice benefits
Cons
promotions are slow
Solid Engineering Staff With Interesting Work
Member of the Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJMarch 14, 2017
The technical staff and engineers were good people doing interesting work to make the Air Traffic Control systems better and move aircraft more efficiently. Great experience.
More with less
Quality Assurance/Training Lead (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 10, 2017
As an FFRDC, MITRE was subject to tight financial budget circumstances. The culture was outstanding, and most employees love working for the company. The benefits were competitive and even expensive for the corporation, but the financial compensation was not good. The paid-time-off (PTOB) was much lower than any place I've worked.
Government Contractor
Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMarch 7, 2017
A decent company but the old culture of Corporate America there slowly grows into misery. If you are a hardworking individual that likes to interact with the customer you will enjoy it.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
The Old New England Culture
Busy Administrative Assistant
Office Administrative Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 6, 2017
Worked for three different supervisors. Update electronic time sheets for employees and submit for processing bi-weekly. I regularly update our department SharePoint site, as well as assisting other staff with SharePoint help. Work with other administrative assistants to keep track of internal and external training requests on a quarterly basis. I keep track of badge swipe data for our department and report discrepancies to the Business Operations team. Schedule and assist reserving conference rooms for monthly department meetings, weekly manager meetings and technical exchange meetings when requested. Keep track of staff resumes and inform those who have out-of-date resumes to update. I often assist other administrative assistance in Microsoft Office products when needed.
Pros
Great co-workers, work/life balance
Great learning experience
Environmental Health and Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 24, 2017
It was a great opportunity to learn and utilize what I obtained from earning my college degree. Unfortunately, I cannot divulge to much information about my last job because of my security clearance, my apologies.
excellent Employer
Cyber Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAJanuary 17, 2017
The only issue is the commute and sometimes getting new project work is difficult until you get established. the company does not mentor or have an efficient way to build up your resume. those with experience do well but those with little experience is hard to grow or get onto good project work. Requires clearance to work as primary customer is US government.
Pros
work life balance, work from home, holiday parties
Cons
project take forever

Want to know more about Mitre Corporation?

Ask a question
Was a great place to work
Lead, Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 29, 2016
A reorganization has changed the company into something that is no longer different from the status quo. The company culture that was like a family is no longer there. Rather than a culture of those who help one another it is a cut throat enterprise.
Pros
Work/life benefits, continuing education
Cons
The lack of "care and feeding" of employee's for growth
Great company
Senior Virtulization Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 11, 2016
Mitre is a great well managed company. This is not always a good thing when you are trying to advance. The people here love being here so they never leave making it harder to climb the ladder. I would say overall management knows how to keep up moral while meeting deadlines. I will miss this place, but I must be career oriented at this stage in my life.
Very good opportunity
SD Quality Assurance Mgr. & Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 11, 2016
Management is very interested in work-life balance. There are many opportunities for continuing education and it is encouraged. Many opportunities for socializing with different groups within the corporation. Employees are encouraged to give back and volunteerism is very much supported with paid time off to pursue volunteerism. Great place to work. Very diverse & inclusive.
Pros
Good job security and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Tech Project Support, Sr(Pro Staff) (Current Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 17, 2016
It is what you make of the opportunities from inside and outside the company. There is a real love for what the company tries to obtain from its employee groups by way of balancing job with passions.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
sometimes up and down contracts
Ethical Company
Lead Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDNovember 8, 2016
However, the culture is changing from a Senior Government Expert (SME) to that of a contractor house, less the $$$ benefit. Lapses in the end of the government fiscal year has everyone chasing their tail, looking for little contracts to work under... Musical chairs.
Pros
Great people and management
Cons
Highly dependent on government funding and associated hiccups.
Great work/life balance
Office Administrative Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  New Carrollton, MDOctober 20, 2016
MITRE is very flexible with work/life balance. They encourage you take your vacation time and enjoy your personal life.
Pros
Flex time, not tied down to 9 -5
Not suited for everyone
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 30, 2016
If you are energetic, hard-working, career minded, this is not the place for you because there is almost no chance for career advancement. Typical promotions at low level take 6-7 years where they take 3 yrs in most places.

The company values newcomers more than their own proven and loyal employees, so negotiate when you join as you will not get a promotion after you do. This is so well known that there is huge grade inflation at the time of hire when compared to the tried and tested abilities of existing employees. Sad, but true.
Pros
Great Research Program, great work-life balance, good retirement benefits, flexible hours, telecommuting option
Cons
Lacking practical technical knowledge (lots of academic, theoretical knowledge), senior management who are here to take it easy, almost zero chance for promotion or advancement, too much politics
Good work-life balance, can be dull
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MASeptember 28, 2016
Generally a laid-back place to work. Good work-life balance - flexible schedules and work locations, healthy leave policies. Satisfaction will be highly dependent on the program you are placed on.
MITRE Good Company
Communications Lead (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 26, 2016
The MITRE Corporation is a not-for-profit organization that operates seven federally funded research and development centers. The company offers a decent salary, benefits, and work-life balance.
A World-class knowledge and innovation environment
Information Systems Engineering Lead (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 16, 2016
It is a dream come true to pursue ideas and innovate that leads to serving federal agencies.

You can be creative and innovative to benefit the federal agencies.

Nice people and conducive work environment.
Pros
A wonderful learning environment. Research heaven (if you have individual initiative).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitre Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2