Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews

Very poor healthcare FFRDC senior leadership.
LAN Director (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 25, 2017
MITRE is contracted to "manage" several FFRDCs. Representations during my interview/hiring phase were misleading and false. During my three month tenure I didn't even know to whom I reported. Based on my processor's performance at the sponsor's request there were multiple senior level MITRE individuals who inserted themselves in all meetings/calls, creating the impression that my leadership was in question. I think in general the workplace culture is very positive, but this project was, and will be, a disaster.
Wonderful Company
Strategy Director (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 25, 2017
I have worked at MITRE for 6 years, and have found it to be a very rewarding work environment. The culture is relaxed and supportive, while the work is stimulating an challenging.
Pros
Work life balance, variety, smart colleagues
Cons
Difficult to navigate promotions, slow pace, growing too quickly
The job is what you make it at MITRE
Lead Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 17, 2017
i worked at MITRE for 26 years. Most of my time was spent at MITRE sites both overseas and in the states. I spent a few years at the MITRE Bedford MA Operations. The work environment was radically different depending on the site management. MITRE site leaders a given a substantial autonomy and the culture of each site is different. I spent the last 12 years of my career at the MITRE Scott AFB, IL site. That site was exceptionally well managed. I had an opportunity to get involved with very interesting hands on satellite communications projects. MITRE is good about creating a good work life balance. I was always proud that the work that I was doing was benefitting the country. I prefer the sites to the Operations Centers a.k.a Headquarters as they are far less bureaucratic and allow more freedom of action. MITRE is good at attracting talented people and is a good place to acquire technology.

Unfortunately promotions come very slowly and considerable politics and favoritism is involved in the process. The jobs are usually very stable and it is almost like working for the government. Rifts to happen and usually track government funding cycle.
Pros
Educational opportunities, benefits and pay, stability and variety of work programs.
Cons
bureaucratic at times, somewhat political, work is more theoretical than practical.
Big Company Culture with All the Politics
COMMUNICATIONS BUSINESS PARTNER (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 9, 2017
The company is going through a big culture change. This company is a private, not-for-profit that operates research and development centers for the federal government. It used to be 'mission-driven', focusing on solving tough problems and working in a collaborative way to do so.

It is now a highly charged political hierarchy that is going through major culture changes--not for the better. While everyone at MITRE works hard and focuses on producing high-quality products, the company used to emphasize work-life balance.

That is no longer true. The work-life balance is being chipped away to the point that this not-for-profit is being run more like the big consulting firms. That means long hours, weekends. In this case though, there's no chance for true financial reward because this is a not-for-profit.

There is little room for advancement, and management skills in many cases are poor because the company promotes without ensuring people have true people management skills.
Pros
Retirement match
Cons
Work-life-balance gone by wayside, insurance expensive, management
Competitive and rewarding
Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Belleville ILJune 21, 2017
The culture at MITRE can be confusing and is centered at the major campus locations. While there are many remote locations, the people at those locations are often not part of the team.
FINANCIAL RELOCATION ANALYST/VENDOR MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 21, 2017
A very forward company, lots opportunities to grow and learn cutting edge technology. great benefits and compensation, lots of emphasis in work life balance.
Productive and fun place to work at
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 20, 2017
Great colleagues, good team dynamics, drive and enthusiasm exists in key departments and changes are coming into play with a clear strategic direction from the top down.
MITRE is a terrific place to work
Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lexington Park, MDJune 2, 2017
The MITRE role as a Federally Funded Research and Development Center is a great place to balance working for the private sector and government. The FFRDCs are not-for-profits working in the public interest, the mission is great!
Good
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 31, 2017
Overall balance was good, coworkers were friendly. I learned quite a bit while I was there, and enjoyed the manager I worked under. They also had a cafeteria that made decent food and an afterwork program that provided good incentives to form a community outside of work
Pros
Job security
Cons
fast paced
A lot of energy invested in self-promotion
Research Program Director, Lead Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMay 23, 2017
I have worked in many different fields, but I have yet to come across any organization that makes so much of so little foundation. There are some good programs, and a long litany of abject failures. Suffice it to say there is much more effort put into glossing-over the failures than into learning from them.
Pros
Work-life balance is amazing
Cons
Not by any stretch a meritocracy
wonderful place
Lead Software Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 22, 2017
very positive and supportive culture. learning opportunities, especially if you office out of one of the two main hubs. remote work is possible subject to the need of the sponsor
Pros
flexible
Cons
remote mobility can be tough
A Perfect Balance of Hard Work and Personal Life
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAMay 12, 2017
MITRE has an excellent work life balance and gives its employees the opportunity to work on many diverse projects. The learning opportunities available at MITRE are numerous, but the pace of work can be a little slow at times depending on the sponsor. There are certainly opportunities for advancement, but they fit within the confines of a highly-structured organization. You are expected to work hard, provide clear evidence of your accomplishments, and participate in company politics if you want to move up.
Pros
Great benefits, excellent work/life balance
Cons
DoD work can be slow and frustrating, funding is highly dependent on the U.S. Government and internal politics
Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAMay 10, 2017
good place to work. work life balance. people are friendly and always willing to help.

I work with every level in the company, and the enjoy the work and the company.
Great place
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAApril 18, 2017
The staff are very friendly and has a great work culture. The benefits are great also. The management structure is very organized. I learned a lot during my career.
Great Work Environment
Senior Security Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAApril 10, 2017
Awesome coworkers, great work environment, not a lot of pressure, an awesome place to work! sometimes the work is a bit slow but it also is government work
Able to be promoted on a regular basis.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 4, 2017
A very large company that afforded many opportunities including new and improved applications to make my work easier. I was able to travel to meet request by HR and the Army. Excellent Managers and staff.
Pros
Diverse opportunities.
A great place to work
Analog/Mixed-Signal Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAMarch 30, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Mitre, I was involved in a diverse set of projects and worked alongside many talented engineers. Many of the managers have a wealth of experience in their fields, although there are a few singularities.
Pros
nice benefits
Cons
promotions are slow
Solid Engineering Staff With Interesting Work
Member of the Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJMarch 14, 2017
The technical staff and engineers were good people doing interesting work to make the Air Traffic Control systems better and move aircraft more efficiently. Great experience.
More with less
Quality Assurance/Training Lead (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 10, 2017
As an FFRDC, MITRE was subject to tight financial budget circumstances. The culture was outstanding, and most employees love working for the company. The benefits were competitive and even expensive for the corporation, but the financial compensation was not good. The paid-time-off (PTOB) was much lower than any place I've worked.
Government Contractor
Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMarch 7, 2017
A decent company but the old culture of Corporate America there slowly grows into misery. If you are a hardworking individual that likes to interact with the customer you will enjoy it.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
The Old New England Culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitre Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2