Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews

MITRE tries hard to be above average but misses the mark.
Simulation and Modeling Engineer, Lead (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 30, 2013
During my 5 years at the MITRE corporation, I found the management culture to be disjointed from the working levels. I came as a well-known, respected distributed software engineer and trainer. I was promised research and development in these areas but instead remained as a project lead most of my time. My department head viewed me as as "cash cow" and felt little desire to allow me to work in my advertised fields.

In the end I felt like a square peg in a round hole because as a project leader I wanted to help my customer and as a software engineer I wanted to build and create. Instead, I was guided to do things like "attend this meeting for 25 minutes and charge your customer for the hour". This was by the rule since we rounded to the nearest hour in our charges. But, it soon became the rule and way.

The results speak for themselves: MITRE steadily moved down over the last 5 years from being in the top 100 places to work to off the list entirely.
Pros
very relaxed work environment
Cons
seldom guided or empowered to do productive work
Good work life balance, but...
Systems Engineer, Senior (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 25, 2014
Pros:
A great place to work in the DC metro area. Expect moderate compensation, especially when considering that DC was voted the most expensive area to rent in 2014. I was fortunate enough to work alongside some very talented and intelligent people. There is a good work ethic vibe here, and colleagues are easy to reach out to for guidance, assistance, and advice. Communication is very open, people do not hoard information to protect their jobs here.

Cons:
Management seems somewhat disconnected at times, and loses sight of the real complexities involved in creating products for the sponsor. Management may or may not possess the software skills to even understand the work performed from a high level, so the complete value of team members may not be fully understood.

SMEs are sometimes more highly valued than the hardcore engineers that actually create the products.
Pros
great cafeteria, holiday/vacation time rates
Cons
mediocre compensation for the area, but it is a non-profit. no company sponsored events.
No room for advancement or to learn anything new
Project Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 17, 2013
I did a production process biweekly, activate projects, set up new departments and section IDs. Transfer funds from one project to another. Maintained a log of all cost transfers processed or sent to accounts payable. Answer e-mails requesting changes in project status, bill fee overrides, adding new fee overrides and closing projects.

I learned a lot about projects and how to fix issues that came up. It was a laid back environment where every one knew what they needed to do to everyday without much supervision.

The hardest part was making sure everyone who sent in a cost transfer memo had everything it needed so it could be transferred but that rarely happened. The best part of the job was acquiring the knowledge I needed to perform the duties that were required for this position, however it changed constantly.
Pros
learning about project management
Cons
being the last to know about things affecting my job, and there was no way to advance in this position no matter how well you did your job.
Business Focus: Research & Development
Data Center Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 24, 2014
The Mitre Corporation

Business Focus: Research & Development
Industry Category: Nonprofit
Local Offices: DC Metro Region
Total DC Employees: 3,600
Total Employees: 7,500
The MITRE Corporation is a not-for-profit organization that provides systems engineering, research and development, and information technology support to the government. It operates federally funded research and development centers for the Department of Defense, the Federal Aviation Administration, the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Homeland Security, the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. MITRE also has an internal research and development program (the MITRE Innovation Program) to enable our staff to create new technologies or apply existing tools and technologies in innovative ways to meet our sponsors' needs.

MITRE has been identified by Fortune magazine as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For for 9 years in a row.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break, health
Professional working environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shiloh, ILFebruary 1, 2013
A typical day at work would involve greeting visitors that come in for meetings and assigning them a badge. Answer phones, check e-mails, reserve conference rooms, support 29 computer engineers. I book travel for employees, then do expense vouchers for them when they get back, so they will get reimbursed.

I also help set up interviews when needed, welcome new employees and have them fill out all the necessary paperwork, ensure all things have been turned in by employees before they leave the company. I also serve as a local HR contact at our location and help employees with medical and other paperwork and answer questions that employees may have regarding benefits or other HR needs.
Pros
good benefits, flexible spending plan, retirement, good rapport with co-workers
Cons
not much room for advancement for the administrative staff.
Healthy and challenging work environment
Secretary/System Administrator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 24, 2012
The MITRE Corporation is a great place to work. They love hiring families. Out of the office socialization with coworkers is encouraged through team building events, company picnics and other planned activities.

Management is encouraged to assist employees with reaching their full potential whether it is higher education, career shifting, or technical certification.

Coworkers tend to be the best and brightest in their field.

Opportunities to learn new skills and software are everywhere. Employees are able to work on a variety of projects and are not limited to their specific department.
Pros
amazing health and dental, onsite chiropractic care, employee gym, tuition reimbursement, discounts and coupons for local stores and eateries.
Great Place to start or end your career
Information System Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VirginiaMarch 1, 2012
I love MITRE as my first professional career out of college and only having a BS. I enjoy the people I work with on a daily basis they are all highly intelligent and understand their craft very well. However the up and down project work is a bother...one second you can't have enough time in a day and the next you have zero work to do for awhile. The work life balance in unbelievable. I seen lots of companies say it and state it however MITRE Lives it.
I hope to continue my career here and also end it once that time comes.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
chargeable work, some hostility to new and upcoming technologies
The Most Challenging Aspects
Principal Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Reston, VirginiaNovember 4, 2015
I currently am supporting a very politically charged program within IC ITE for the ODNI. We are responsible for developing and implementing a common desktop across a community consisting of 17 separate and disparate agency's ranging in size from 45 to several tens of thousands of personnel. Adoption is required, but setting and maintaining expectations throughout all levels of leadership is a constant challenge. Also each agency wants their requirements met first and fully, not willing to accept that the goal is a common desktop environment that leads to better information sharing and collaboration.
MITRE is unique in that it is an FFRDC. This made it a great company to work for cause it didn't always look at the bottom line.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJune 15, 2014
Pretty much a normal 40 hour week. But, as a Senior Secretary, I often covered up at "Rug Row." There, supporting the various VPs and the President, I came in contact with many leaders from Capital Hill; that was an eye opener. I loved every minute. I worked at MITRE when there was the big transition into the computer world as a daily tool. It was, at times, quite intimidating. But I sincerely loved the people there. It was the best job I every had.
Pros
great management; true leadership from the top down.
This was the place to work.
MEMBER OF THE TECHNICAL STAFF (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA, Bedford, Mass.October 9, 2012
Intellecturally there was no higher quality people, management nor an environment that fostered customer confidence in the Mitre ability to get the job done and produce the desired results. Consequently, the customers kept coming back year after year. That lasted for at least the decade that I was so proud to serve with Mitre, both in Bedford, Mass and Washington D.C. There was no finer staff and management that I was exposed to for at least my 50 years of professional experience. To this day, I sing high praise and pride that I was able to contribute a small amount to that reputation. None finer in the world.
Pros
real professional environment, customer satisfaction, real fine retirement program.
A company of engineers
Senior Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 25, 2013
As a FFRDC, the company operates very much within those boundaries. Day to day, there is always a talk of something new, something to explore, something to learn. The main downside is there is no accountability for management, and that tends to reward incompetence. This can make it difficult when trying to pushing something forward and finalize on a single project. At times you will have team leads, or upper management that have a "rockstar" mentality which tends to cause a large amount of grief for people trying to complete the work. This however is probably MITRE's only short coming.
Pros
a pure research and development environment
Cons
no management accountability
A great place to work.
Office Administrative Support Level III (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 10, 2012
A typical day at work was busy, however, I enjoyed every moment of it.

I learned to develop teamworking skills, and time management.

Management as well as my co-workers were very supportive and taught me everything I needed to know and more.

The hardest part of the job was learning the company system, but once I learned, it became a piece of cake. Another hard part was actually leaving the job permantly.

As I said before, I loved every part of this job. My bosses as well as the staff were a pleasure to work for. The working environment was very clean and positive.
Pros
dining facilities, healthcare, 401k, company online system site, clean working environment, management, co-workers, training, advancement, support
Productive and Great Environment to grow and develop your skills
Cyber Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 8, 2015
A typical work day is working in an environment where new challenges always surfaces. Solving problems for the customer to help their daily tasks. Working for MITRE, I learned different methodologies on approaching problems. Applying Engineering concepts to complex problems. Management is very helpful in progressing your career. They stay engaged with the employee and work with them on accomplishing their goals. The hardest part of my job is having patience when approaching difficult problems and having patience with difficult individuals on certain tasks. The most enjoyable part of my work is the different tasks, working with different government agencies and learning different experiences from those tasks.
Pros
MITRE people
A mission centered company
Principle Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 13, 2014
MITRE is very focused on serving the needs of various agencies across the federal government.

You have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects in a single agency or across multiple agencies.

I have been able to work on the defense side and various civilian agencies in a strategic capacity helping to move the government forward.

My coworkers are very helpful and everyone will provide their expertise and experience on a subject if you ask.
Pros
very skilled and experienced staff, work life balance is highly promoted and expected.
Cons
lots of mobile workers so face to face collaboration can be difficult at times.
MITRE
Office Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 23, 2013
As an admin person working with MITRE Corporation you will find that you run out of things to do.

MITRE is self-served except with the executive staff. This means that everyone does their own admin task (expense voucher, meeting room reservations, etc.).

I am a worker bee and must be busy. I realize that down time happens on all jobs but you downtime should never out weight the time you should be working. During the last 2 years at MITRE my downtime out weighed the time I should be working so I sought other employment
benefits
Cons
not enough for admin to do
A Good Place to Work
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 5, 2015
MITRE is a good employer - Market rate compensation, good retirement benefits, good work/life balance, great job security...but it's not a *great* place to work.

The culture very much depends on where you work in the company, both in geographic location as well as specific department, but in general things just happen slower than they would at a for-profit company. Middle management and executive leadership rarely seem to mesh in message.

Many have said "MITRE is a great place to retire," which seems accurate.
Pros
work/life balance, retirement benefits
Cons
not the best place for new employees fresh out of college
People are nice, but no room for advancement
Information Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 23, 2014
Phone calls are constant, customers are calm and professional.

I've learned a lot about Government regulations and writing profiles/ssps to get systems accredited.

Managers are nice, very laid back. But after 8 years at this job, I feel that I deserve a promotion.

Hardest part of this job is dealing with all the goverment inspections. We have multiple sponsors, and inspections all year long.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the people who work here. They are generally very kind and hard working.
Intelligent and collegial company that has a lot of interesting work.
Senior International Tech Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 28, 2012
Though the demands of the market have pushed MITRE toward a more typical consulting firm, its status as a Federally Funded Research and Development Center still does provide it with opportunities to help the US government solve some of its most complicated and interesting issues.
Pros
excellent benefits, collegial atmosphere, and the overall intelligence of employees is palpable.
Cons
can be challenging to ascend into the mid-to-higher ranks of the company.
Great place for provision of public service in advanced technology.
Lead Systems and Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 17, 2014
A typical day at work is extremely professional in all ways.
I've learned cutting edge technology and how the military performs systems engineering.
The management is top notch and co-workers are high achievers dedicated to serving the public interests.
The hardest part of the job is out-pacing strict schedules and the
most enjoyable part of the job is know you have served the tax-payer of the USA.
Pros
great opportunity to serve the tax-payer.
Cons
availability of job funding.
We do mostly Government work.
Network/Telecommunication Specialist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 14, 2014
I come in each morning and monitor and pick up tickets for end users with network, Phone or Video teleconferencing problems. I call to set an appointment to visit client. I then go to resolve problem and close ticket. I have learned a tremendous amount of network, Phone and VTC problem solving and end user solutions. My co-workers are great. Most enjoyable part is making the end user happy with the work I ahve done and completed.