Mitre Corporation

Mitre Corporation Employer Reviews

Great place for provision of public service in advanced technology.
Lead Systems and Software Engineer (Former Employee), Bedford, MAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: great opportunity to serve the tax-payer.
Cons: availability of job funding.
A typical day at work is extremely professional in all ways.
I've learned cutting edge technology and how the military performs systems engineering.
The management is top notch and co-workers are high achievers dedicated to serving the public interests.
The hardest part of the job is out-pacing strict schedules and the
most enjoyable part of the job – more... is know you have served the tax-payer of the USA. – less
Lots of exceptionally bright people
Senior Software Applications Development Engineer (Current Employee), Bedford, MAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: compensation not great, advancement process is convoluted
Management is extremely supportive. The work is challenging, lots of variety and opportunity.
MITRE is unique in that it is an FFRDC. This made it a great company to work for cause it didn't always look at the bottom line.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee), Bedford, MAJune 15, 2014
Pros: great management; true leadership from the top down.
Pretty much a normal 40 hour week. But, as a Senior Secretary, I often covered up at "Rug Row." There, supporting the various VPs and the President, I came in contact with many leaders from Capital Hill; that was an eye opener. I loved every minute. I worked at MITRE when there was the big transition into the computer world as a daily tool. It was, – more... at times, quite intimidating. But I sincerely loved the people there. It was the best job I every had. – less
Great Company
Asset Control & Hardware/Software Technician (Current Employee), Bedford, MAMay 29, 2014
Great company. Much knowledge flowing about to absorb. Great management and peers.
People are nice, but no room for advancement
Information Assurance Manager (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COApril 23, 2014
Phone calls are constant, customers are calm and professional.

I've learned a lot about Government regulations and writing profiles/ssps to get systems accredited.

Managers are nice, very laid back. But after 8 years at this job, I feel that I deserve a promotion.

Hardest part of this job is dealing with all the goverment inspections. We have multiple – more... sponsors, and inspections all year long.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the people who work here. They are generally very kind and hard working. – less
Relaxed environment
Support Secretary (Former Employee), McLean, VAApril 11, 2014
Administrative support to the Director and Deputy Director of the AERA Lab. Proofreading/reviewing documents for production.
Business Focus: Research & Development
Data Center Support Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 24, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short break, health
The Mitre Corporation

Business Focus: Research & Development
Industry Category: Nonprofit
Local Offices: DC Metro Region
Total DC Employees: 3,600
Total Employees: 7,500
The MITRE Corporation is a not-for-profit organization that provides systems engineering, research and development, and information technology support to the government. It operates – more... federally funded research and development centers for the Department of Defense, the Federal Aviation Administration, the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Homeland Security, the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. MITRE also has an internal research and development program (the MITRE Innovation Program) to enable our staff to create new technologies or apply existing tools and technologies in innovative ways to meet our sponsors' needs.

MITRE has been identified by Fortune magazine as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For for 9 years in a row. – less
A mission centered company
Principle Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee), McLean, VAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: very skilled and experienced staff, work life balance is highly promoted and expected.
Cons: lots of mobile workers so face to face collaboration can be difficult at times.
MITRE is very focused on serving the needs of various agencies across the federal government.

You have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects in a single agency or across multiple agencies.

I have been able to work on the defense side and various civilian agencies in a strategic capacity helping to move the government forward.

My coworkers – more... are very helpful and everyone will provide their expertise and experience on a subject if you ask. – less
GREAT Job Security + Flexibility
Lead Simulation Modeling Engineer (Current Employee), Bedford, MAMarch 1, 2014
Pros: flexible, work life balance, challenging work
Cons: no true technical promotion track
Great place to work overall. Challenging problems, good culture in regards to treating employees as valued people, and good work-life balance. Extremely amenable to alternate schedules/teleworking.

NOT a start-up culture though, don't expect to find many office parties, happy hours, or catered lunches.
Good Worklife Balance - But that is all they got
Principle (Current Employee), McLean, VAFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: you will lose your skils and become outdated in 2 years.
Management - pretty bad
Organization Learning and capability growth - Bad
Compensation - Below Market
Growth: Only for brown nosers
Leadership: Clueless
Culture: People go there to retire

I think that sums it up.
Heavy on Staff Augmentation, Light on Innovation
Group Lead (Current Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: retirement matching
Cons: extremely slow promotions, lackluster management
Although MITRE claims to fulfill a role separate from that of the for-profit consultancies, it has lost that mission and the specialized culture with it. Whether you're a systems engineer, scientist, or business analyst, a day at MITRE is about the same -- authoring PowerPoint presentations for government clients, setting up meetings, and occasionally – more... sitting in on a budget meeting. – less
Contract position
LAN/Voice & Video Tech (Former Employee), Bedford, MAJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: access to s lot of technology.
Cons: temp work
I loved working there, however the position was temporary. I would go back in a heart beat.
Great Learning Experience
Mid-Level Virtual World Design Engineer (Former Employee), Mclean, VirginiaJanuary 8, 2014
MITRE was my first "real world" job opportunity. I enjoy being at the company for almost 3 years before I moved on to pursue more Serious Games Projects. I truly enjoyed Management and the massive amount of extremely intelligent individuals who worked at and I worked with at MITRE.

Great Place to work
Mobility seems a little Political
Great Work Life – more... Balance – less
Small accounting dept. and lackluster management
General Accounting Senior (Former Employee), McLean, VADecember 23, 2013
Pay was not very good, relatively easy accounting processes in place. The business model is not very complex.
ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH, & SAFETY SPECIALIST (Former Employee), McLean, VANovember 21, 2013
Management was supportive and my co-workers were great. They were flexible with work schedules.
Great place to work.
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee), McLean, VANovember 20, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: salary
Very interesting place to work, FFDRC provides the an environment for professional and personal growth.
Overall a good company to work for.
Engineer (Former Employee), Bedford, MANovember 13, 2013
Many very talented people. Pay is not great, but OK. They pay attention to work/life balance. Government funding is a cause for uncertainty with respect to job security. Not much room for advancement, management can be very clickish.
very overated and self satisfied
SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 12, 2013
Pros: good cafeteria
Cons: pompous management
Once a powerhouse, now a mere shell. They tout how their work is somehow at a higher level than other contractors, but in reality they are just another company bowing and scraping for the few government scraps.

Forget advancement unless you meet the politically correct template and you have the right friends.
Great company
Lead Operations Research Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2013
Pros: innovative, family oriented company that treats you right. recognized by the government/military as the best.
Cons: pays less then other companies performing similar duties
MITRE is as good as it gets, only lacks in compensation. Great benefits. Collaboration across the company. Innovative and leaders in the industry. Allowed to build your own career based on your interests.
The Best Place to Work!
Training and Organizational Development Lead (Former Employee), McLean, VAAugust 31, 2013
Working at MITRE was the best work I've ever experienced. I learned a lot there, the management was supportive, my co-workers were the best.

1 2 3 4

About Mitre Corporation

Politicians try to engineer a better government, but MITRE governs the country's best engineering. A private, not-for-profit organization, – Read more