Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Worst Company in the Worls
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  MacLean, VAJanuary 9, 2016
Poorly managed company that adds no value to any program. Lots of politics, little technical talent, VERY little chance for advancement.

If you have any technical skills at all, go get a real job.
Pros
pay/benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Poor managent, lots of politcs, lazy employees/managers, no real deliverables
A Good Place to Work
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 5, 2015
MITRE is a good employer - Market rate compensation, good retirement benefits, good work/life balance, great job security...but it's not a *great* place to work.

The culture very much depends on where you work in the company, both in geographic location as well as specific department, but in general things just happen slower than they would at a for-profit company. Middle management and executive leadership rarely seem to mesh in message.

Many have said "MITRE is a great place to retire," which seems accurate.
Pros
work/life balance, retirement benefits
Cons
not the best place for new employees fresh out of college
Great work life balance and benefits
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shiloh, ILJuly 30, 2015
Management was not honest in making recommendations and providing personal assessments. Excellent co-workers and physical environment was excellent. Great learning opportunities.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
All about bottom line and no growth potential unless in right group
MITRE isn't for everyone.....
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMay 24, 2016
As things go, MITRE seems to be an almost ideal place to work. Amazing benefits are part of the package such as tuition fully covered as education is encouraged, PTO, and sabbatical available for employees. Knowledgeable people work at MITRE and you can expect to learn a lot while here.

Problems exist because management has some unrealistic expectations of subordinate employees as they are out of touch with reality. In fact, some managers are downright sadistic especially if they have tenure with the company. Expect to see managers play favorites. Also, rivalries exist between departments and older employees are sometimes threatened by new staff members and interfere with their ability to learn the particulars of the job.

MITRE might be the right fit for some while others will struggle to fit in. Beware....
Pros
Great people, outstanding benefits
Cons
Management might suck
Great mission toward impact.
Portfolio Director (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 9, 2015
Excellent company to work for regarding mission and benefits. Focused on "doing-what-is-right" without focus on profits.
Pros
Mission, benefits, work-life-balance
Cons
Declining budgets
Good company to work for
Principal (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 4, 2016
MITRE is a great place, offering many opportunities for pursuing a research and development career. As a non profit organization, the company works hard to invest in supporting its employees.
Pros
Decent pay, good retirement matching
Cons
No bonus at all
Productive and Great Environment to grow and develop your skills
Cyber Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 8, 2015
A typical work day is working in an environment where new challenges always surfaces. Solving problems for the customer to help their daily tasks. Working for MITRE, I learned different methodologies on approaching problems. Applying Engineering concepts to complex problems. Management is very helpful in progressing your career. They stay engaged with the employee and work with them on accomplishing their goals. The hardest part of my job is having patience when approaching difficult problems and having patience with difficult individuals on certain tasks. The most enjoyable part of my work is the different tasks, working with different government agencies and learning different experiences from those tasks.
Pros
MITRE people
Great place to work!
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 17, 2015
Overall, MITRE is a great place to work for those who are self-starters and are willing to put in the energy and effort to guide their own careers. Co-workers tend to be highly educated and skills. Management is so-so. The hardest part of the job is maintaining focus and delivering quality products regardless of management guidance and/or intervention.
The Most Challenging Aspects
Principal Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Reston, VirginiaNovember 4, 2015
I currently am supporting a very politically charged program within IC ITE for the ODNI. We are responsible for developing and implementing a common desktop across a community consisting of 17 separate and disparate agency's ranging in size from 45 to several tens of thousands of personnel. Adoption is required, but setting and maintaining expectations throughout all levels of leadership is a constant challenge. Also each agency wants their requirements met first and fully, not willing to accept that the goal is a common desktop environment that leads to better information sharing and collaboration.
One of my most positive professional experiences.
Computational Linguist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 9, 2016
Excellent culture, great management. I wish I were still there, but the government sequester made my staying on untenable. Loved my co-workers and my bosses.
Pros
Excellent collegial atmosphere.
Cons
Need to compete for government programs.
Typical Government Job
Software Application Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZApril 15, 2016
Decent workplace when not bogged down by unrealistic government expectations. Worked on Big Data problems, so the project was interesting.
Pros
up-to-date tech, strong specifications and processes
Cons
unrealistic expectations
Section leader
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Eatontown, New JerseyDecember 1, 2015
As section leader had technical responsibility for team and also worked as a non-for profit representaive serving both goverment and civilans as well. Duties required in depth technical knowledge of software development and its applcation with communication systems. Was able to influence design in such a way the governmement could justify its approach to chiefs of staff to civilians.
Pros
tremendous opertunity to get recognized for work you were resonsible for.
Good work life balance, but...
Systems Engineer, Senior (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 25, 2014
Pros:
A great place to work in the DC metro area. Expect moderate compensation, especially when considering that DC was voted the most expensive area to rent in 2014. I was fortunate enough to work alongside some very talented and intelligent people. There is a good work ethic vibe here, and colleagues are easy to reach out to for guidance, assistance, and advice. Communication is very open, people do not hoard information to protect their jobs here.

Cons:
Management seems somewhat disconnected at times, and loses sight of the real complexities involved in creating products for the sponsor. Management may or may not possess the software skills to even understand the work performed from a high level, so the complete value of team members may not be fully understood.

SMEs are sometimes more highly valued than the hardcore engineers that actually create the products.
Pros
great cafeteria, holiday/vacation time rates
Cons
mediocre compensation for the area, but it is a non-profit. no company sponsored events.
Productive and challenging work environment concerned with the advancement of the Nation's public interest.
Information Systems Engineer, Senior (Current Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 6, 2015
Mitre is a federally-funded research and development center (FFRDC) chartered to provide unbiased and objective advice to the government. It's central focus is systems engineering and complex systems-of-systems.

Mitre presents its employees with a challenging, rewarding and dynamic work experience, while allowing them to maintain a balance between work and personal life.
Security Operations Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAApril 24, 2016
MITRE is a wonderful company to work for, they are very family oriented, have great benefits and the job culture is great.
A great place to work.
Office Administrative Support Level III (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 10, 2012
A typical day at work was busy, however, I enjoyed every moment of it.

I learned to develop teamworking skills, and time management.

Management as well as my co-workers were very supportive and taught me everything I needed to know and more.

The hardest part of the job was learning the company system, but once I learned, it became a piece of cake. Another hard part was actually leaving the job permantly.

As I said before, I loved every part of this job. My bosses as well as the staff were a pleasure to work for. The working environment was very clean and positive.
Pros
dining facilities, healthcare, 401k, company online system site, clean working environment, management, co-workers, training, advancement, support
This was the place to work.
MEMBER OF THE TECHNICAL STAFF (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA, Bedford, Mass.October 9, 2012
Intellecturally there was no higher quality people, management nor an environment that fostered customer confidence in the Mitre ability to get the job done and produce the desired results. Consequently, the customers kept coming back year after year. That lasted for at least the decade that I was so proud to serve with Mitre, both in Bedford, Mass and Washington D.C. There was no finer staff and management that I was exposed to for at least my 50 years of professional experience. To this day, I sing high praise and pride that I was able to contribute a small amount to that reputation. None finer in the world.
Pros
real professional environment, customer satisfaction, real fine retirement program.
Great/Amazing company
College Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJanuary 5, 2016
I love working with this company. The environment is amazing and so are the people. Everyone is extremely helpful, kind, and willing to help if they have the band-width to do so. The company locations and sites are beautiful and extremely relaxing as well.
Professional working environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shiloh, ILFebruary 1, 2013
A typical day at work would involve greeting visitors that come in for meetings and assigning them a badge. Answer phones, check e-mails, reserve conference rooms, support 29 computer engineers. I book travel for employees, then do expense vouchers for them when they get back, so they will get reimbursed.

I also help set up interviews when needed, welcome new employees and have them fill out all the necessary paperwork, ensure all things have been turned in by employees before they leave the company. I also serve as a local HR contact at our location and help employees with medical and other paperwork and answer questions that employees may have regarding benefits or other HR needs.
Pros
good benefits, flexible spending plan, retirement, good rapport with co-workers
Cons
not much room for advancement for the administrative staff.
Mitre
Office Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 23, 2013
As an admin person working with MITRE Corporation you will find that you run out of things to do.

MITRE is self-served except with the executive staff. This means that everyone does their own admin task (expense voucher, meeting room reservations, etc.).

I am a worker bee and must be busy. I realize that down time happens on all jobs but you downtime should never out weight the time you should be working. During the last 2 years at MITRE my downtime out weighed the time I should be working so I sought other employment
benefits
Cons
not enough for admin to do