Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Systems Engineering Company
Senior Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 9, 2015
MITRE is a Federally Fundunded Research and Design Corporation (FFRDC). Most of the projects I have been a part of are of the research and development (R&D) nature.
Busy, Challenging, Engaging, Satisfying
Group lead and Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mclean VAJanuary 28, 2015
I co-direct a team of highly skilled MITRE FFRDC professionals at an executive agency supporting cross cutting IT/Communication services, and support an enterprise architecture project for senior leadership communications.

In addition, I'm responsible for a group of employees in my MITRE department and manage them to their project in support of their perspective project directors.

My direct responsibilities to my sponsors are:
- Strategic Planning and Enterprise Architecture
- Systems Evolution Plan and Technology profile and forecast
Pros
na
Cons
na
Great life balance but advancement is highly political
Lead Communications Engineer; Terminal Systems (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAOctober 26, 2014
Great life balance but advancement is highly political and compensation is also very much tied to that.
Is it really that much different outside of it? Probably not!
Thanks for your service and help!
Good work life balance, but...
Systems Engineer, Senior (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 25, 2014
Pros:
A great place to work in the DC metro area. Expect moderate compensation, especially when considering that DC was voted the most expensive area to rent in 2014. I was fortunate enough to work alongside some very talented and intelligent people. There is a good work ethic vibe here, and colleagues are easy to reach out to for guidance, assistance, and advice. Communication is very open, people do not hoard information to protect their jobs here.

Cons:
Management seems somewhat disconnected at times, and loses sight of the real complexities involved in creating products for the sponsor. Management may or may not possess the software skills to even understand the work performed from a high level, so the complete value of team members may not be fully understood.

SMEs are sometimes more highly valued than the hardcore engineers that actually create the products.
Pros
great cafeteria, holiday/vacation time rates
Cons
mediocre compensation for the area, but it is a non-profit. no company sponsored events.
We do mostly Government work.
Network/Telecommunication Specialist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 14, 2014
I come in each morning and monitor and pick up tickets for end users with network, Phone or Video teleconferencing problems. I call to set an appointment to visit client. I then go to resolve problem and close ticket. I have learned a tremendous amount of network, Phone and VTC problem solving and end user solutions. My co-workers are great. Most enjoyable part is making the end user happy with the work I ahve done and completed.
Great Company
Lead Information Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MASeptember 30, 2014
Work on top technology for some of the most important issues for the nation. Great pay and benefits. Great work life balance.
Great Place to work
receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VA.September 24, 2014
Work days are great, I work with highly intelligent people. Everyday I arrive in the office I'm learning new things, and meeting new people. I love to keep busy so I'm associating myself with everyones job function. I really like speaking with the engineers I admire there work ethic. Mitre is a diversity organization, your working with people from all aspets of life, which makes it a fun workplace.
Pros
fun loving
Cons
i'm a temp employee
Lead Network Systems & Distribution Engineer (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 19, 2014
People are great, management is ok depending on who you work for.
Great place for provision of public service in advanced technology.
Lead Systems and Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 17, 2014
A typical day at work is extremely professional in all ways.
I've learned cutting edge technology and how the military performs systems engineering.
The management is top notch and co-workers are high achievers dedicated to serving the public interests.
The hardest part of the job is out-pacing strict schedules and the
most enjoyable part of the job is know you have served the tax-payer of the USA.
Pros
great opportunity to serve the tax-payer.
Cons
availability of job funding.
Lots of exceptionally bright people
Senior Software Applications Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 11, 2014
Management is extremely supportive. The work is challenging, lots of variety and opportunity.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
compensation not great, advancement process is convoluted
MITRE is unique in that it is an FFRDC. This made it a great company to work for cause it didn't always look at the bottom line.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJune 15, 2014
Pretty much a normal 40 hour week. But, as a Senior Secretary, I often covered up at "Rug Row." There, supporting the various VPs and the President, I came in contact with many leaders from Capital Hill; that was an eye opener. I loved every minute. I worked at MITRE when there was the big transition into the computer world as a daily tool. It was, at times, quite intimidating. But I sincerely loved the people there. It was the best job I every had.
Pros
great management; true leadership from the top down.
Great Company
Asset Control & Hardware/Software Technician (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAMay 29, 2014
Great company. Much knowledge flowing about to absorb. Great management and peers.
People are nice, but no room for advancement
Information Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 23, 2014
Phone calls are constant, customers are calm and professional.

I've learned a lot about Government regulations and writing profiles/ssps to get systems accredited.

Managers are nice, very laid back. But after 8 years at this job, I feel that I deserve a promotion.

Hardest part of this job is dealing with all the goverment inspections. We have multiple sponsors, and inspections all year long.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the people who work here. They are generally very kind and hard working.
Relaxed environment
Support Secretary (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 11, 2014
Administrative support to the Director and Deputy Director of the AERA Lab. Proofreading/reviewing documents for production.
Great company overall
Economic/Business Analyst, Senior (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 3, 2014
MITRE has high standards for it's quality of work, the services it provides its clients, and recognizing its employees as its best asset. Each day brought exciting new projects, which were challenging and demanded excellence. Coworkers were always willing to help recommend solutions, provide peer reviews, and give insight and lessons learned from past projects.
Business Focus: Research & Development
Data Center Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 24, 2014
The Mitre Corporation

Business Focus: Research & Development
Industry Category: Nonprofit
Local Offices: DC Metro Region
Total DC Employees: 3,600
Total Employees: 7,500
The MITRE Corporation is a not-for-profit organization that provides systems engineering, research and development, and information technology support to the government. It operates federally funded research and development centers for the Department of Defense, the Federal Aviation Administration, the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Homeland Security, the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. MITRE also has an internal research and development program (the MITRE Innovation Program) to enable our staff to create new technologies or apply existing tools and technologies in innovative ways to meet our sponsors' needs.

MITRE has been identified by Fortune magazine as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For for 9 years in a row.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break, health
A mission centered company
Principle Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 13, 2014
MITRE is very focused on serving the needs of various agencies across the federal government.

You have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects in a single agency or across multiple agencies.

I have been able to work on the defense side and various civilian agencies in a strategic capacity helping to move the government forward.

My coworkers are very helpful and everyone will provide their expertise and experience on a subject if you ask.
Pros
very skilled and experienced staff, work life balance is highly promoted and expected.
Cons
lots of mobile workers so face to face collaboration can be difficult at times.
GREAT Job Security + Flexibility
Lead Simulation Modeling Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAMarch 1, 2014
Great place to work overall. Challenging problems, good culture in regards to treating employees as valued people, and good work-life balance. Extremely amenable to alternate schedules/teleworking.

NOT a start-up culture though, don't expect to find many office parties, happy hours, or catered lunches.
Pros
flexible, work life balance, challenging work
Cons
no true technical promotion track
Good Worklife Balance - But that is all they got
Principle (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 4, 2014
Management - pretty bad
Organization Learning and capability growth - Bad
Compensation - Below Market
Growth: Only for brown nosers
Leadership: Clueless
Culture: People go there to retire

I think that sums it up.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
you will lose your skils and become outdated in 2 years.
Heavy on Staff Augmentation, Light on Innovation
Group Lead (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 30, 2014
Although MITRE claims to fulfill a role separate from that of the for-profit consultancies, it has lost that mission and the specialized culture with it. Whether you're a systems engineer, scientist, or business analyst, a day at MITRE is about the same -- authoring PowerPoint presentations for government clients, setting up meetings, and occasionally sitting in on a budget meeting.
Pros
retirement matching
Cons
extremely slow promotions, lackluster management