Mitre Corporation

Mitre Corporation United States Employee Reviews

Heavy on Staff Augmentation, Light on Innovation
Group Lead (Current Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: retirement matching
Cons: extremely slow promotions, lackluster management
Although MITRE claims to fulfill a role separate from that of the for-profit consultancies, it has lost that mission and the specialized culture with it. Whether you're a systems engineer, scientist, or business analyst, a day at MITRE is about the same -- authoring PowerPoint presentations for government clients, setting up meetings, and occasionally sitting in on a budget meeting.
Contract position
LAN/Voice & Video Tech (Former Employee), Bedford, MAJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: access to s lot of technology.
Cons: temp work
I loved working there, however the position was temporary. I would go back in a heart beat.
Great Learning Experience
Mid-Level Virtual World Design Engineer (Former Employee), Mclean, VirginiaJanuary 8, 2014
MITRE was my first "real world" job opportunity. I enjoy being at the company for almost 3 years before I moved on to pursue more Serious Games Projects. I truly enjoyed Management and the massive amount of extremely intelligent individuals who worked at and I worked with at MITRE.

Great Place to work
Mobility seems a little Political
Great Work Life Balance
Small accounting dept. and lackluster management
General Accounting Senior (Former Employee), McLean, VADecember 23, 2013
Pay was not very good, relatively easy accounting processes in place. The business model is not very complex.
ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH, & SAFETY SPECIALIST (Former Employee), McLean, VANovember 21, 2013
Management was supportive and my co-workers were great. They were flexible with work schedules.
Great place to work.
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee), McLean, VANovember 20, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: salary
Very interesting place to work, FFDRC provides the an environment for professional and personal growth.
Overall a good company to work for.
Engineer (Former Employee), Bedford, MANovember 13, 2013
Many very talented people. Pay is not great, but OK. They pay attention to work/life balance. Government funding is a cause for uncertainty with respect to job security. Not much room for advancement, management can be very clickish.
very overated and self satisfied
SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 12, 2013
Pros: good cafeteria
Cons: pompous management
Once a powerhouse, now a mere shell. They tout how their work is somehow at a higher level than other contractors, but in reality they are just another company bowing and scraping for the few government scraps.

Forget advancement unless you meet the politically correct template and you have the right friends.
Great company
Lead Operations Research Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2013
Pros: innovative, family oriented company that treats you right. recognized by the government/military as the best.
Cons: pays less then other companies performing similar duties
MITRE is as good as it gets, only lacks in compensation. Great benefits. Collaboration across the company. Innovative and leaders in the industry. Allowed to build your own career based on your interests.
The Best Place to Work!
Training and Organizational Development Lead (Former Employee), McLean, VAAugust 31, 2013
Working at MITRE was the best work I've ever experienced. I learned a lot there, the management was supportive, my co-workers were the best.
Great benefits and culture.
Graphic/Web Designer (Former Employee), McLean, VAAugust 13, 2013
Great company when I worked there before 2006. Wouldn't recommend it now with the federal budget cuts.
Excellent
ENCODING SPECIALIST (Current Employee), McLean, VAAugust 10, 2013
Great company to work for. Great environment. Solid growth.
Excellent Company
Lead Data Scientist (Current Employee), McLean, VAAugust 9, 2013
Pros: excellent opportunities
Cons: limited growth
Determine Requirements; formulate hypothsis to obtain data sets and unknowns

Decompose Data Sets to assemble a "multiple pieces of the puzzle"

Evaluate components into a re-assembled

Determine how they relate to requirements

I learned use opensource and coursera for education

Co-works are good folks

Hardest part of the job is dealing with multiple managerial layers

Working with good folks on important work
nice compensation benefits
Member of the Technical Staff (Former Employee), McLean, VAJuly 26, 2013
Pros: retirement benefits
Cons: slow response of managers
8 to 5 typical day at work
learned system engineering
good management
nice co-workers
the hardest part of the job was the slow response of managers
the most enjoyable part was the challenging tasks of problems facing the FAA
Great Benefits and flexible work/life balance
Telecommunications Specialist II (Former Employee), Bedford, MAJuly 22, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule/wfh options
Cons: sequestration causing cut backs
The best part of this job was being supported to create areas of growth in my job. Growth, both personal and professional, is strongly supported.
Great culture
Director, Strategy (Current Employee), McLean, VAJuly 8, 2013
Best team and teammates I ever worked with. Very understanding and supportive environment.
No room for advancement or to learn anything new
Project Accounting Associate (Former Employee), McLean, VAJune 17, 2013
Pros: learning about project management
Cons: being the last to know about things affecting my job, and there was no way to advance in this position no matter how well you did your job.
I did a production process biweekly, activate projects, set up new departments and section IDs. Transfer funds from one project to another. Maintained a log of all cost transfers processed or sent to accounts payable. Answer e-mails requesting changes in project status, bill fee overrides, adding new fee overrides and closing projects.

I learned a lot about projects and how to fix issues that came up. It was a laid back environment where every one knew what they needed to do to everyday without much supervision.

The hardest part was making sure everyone who sent in a cost transfer memo had everything it needed so it could be transferred but that rarely happened. The best part of the job was acquiring the knowledge I needed to perform the duties that were required for this position, however it changed constantly.
One of the best places to work
Senior Network and Distributed Systems Engineer (Former Employee), McLean, VAJune 14, 2013
Mitre is a place where you work with smart people on challenging projects. The only downside is sometimes government work can be mundane, but the vast majority of work is building solutions to very difficult problems related to defense. The benefits are fantastic and it has great job security.
Used to be a good place to work, but not any longer.
Lead member (Former Employee), McLean, VAJune 14, 2013
Pros: good retirement benefits
Cons: management, lack of promotions, no training or conference money, only 8 federal holidays
Company is constantly chipping away at the benefits package in order to reduce corporate costs. Pay raises have been very small over the past 5 years in order to manage costs. Management is not trustworthy. Nepotism was commonplace in the Division I supported--upper management hires neighbors, friends, and relatives.
Management is the worst. Administrative staff doesn't really matter.
Office Admin Specialist (Former Employee), McLean, VAMay 19, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
A typical day was sitting with nothing to do.
Management sucked.
My co-worker sucked.
Sitting all day with nothing to do.

About Mitre Corporation

Politicians try to engineer a better government, but MITRE governs the country's best engineering. A private, not-for-profit organization, – Read more

Mitre Corporation Salaries