Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and Great Place to Work
HR Recruiting/Generalist Specialist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 24, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is to learn new skills participating in training courses and other functional areas.Management is flexible and very understanding of work life balance.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
geographic
Heavy on Staff Augmentation, Light on Innovation
Group Lead (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 30, 2014
Although MITRE claims to fulfill a role separate from that of the for-profit consultancies, it has lost that mission and the specialized culture with it. Whether you're a systems engineer, scientist, or business analyst, a day at MITRE is about the same -- authoring PowerPoint presentations for government clients, setting up meetings, and occasionally sitting in on a budget meeting.
Pros
retirement matching
Cons
extremely slow promotions, lackluster management
Used to be a good place to work, but not any longer.
Lead member (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 14, 2013
Company is constantly chipping away at the benefits package in order to reduce corporate costs. Pay raises have been very small over the past 5 years in order to manage costs. Management is not trustworthy. Nepotism was commonplace in the Division I supported--upper management hires neighbors, friends, and relatives.
Pros
good retirement benefits
Cons
management, lack of promotions, no training or conference money, only 8 federal holidays
Good work life balance, but...
Systems Engineer, Senior (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 25, 2014
Pros:
A great place to work in the DC metro area. Expect moderate compensation, especially when considering that DC was voted the most expensive area to rent in 2014. I was fortunate enough to work alongside some very talented and intelligent people. There is a good work ethic vibe here, and colleagues are easy to reach out to for guidance, assistance, and advice. Communication is very open, people do not hoard information to protect their jobs here.

Cons:
Management seems somewhat disconnected at times, and loses sight of the real complexities involved in creating products for the sponsor. Management may or may not possess the software skills to even understand the work performed from a high level, so the complete value of team members may not be fully understood.

SMEs are sometimes more highly valued than the hardcore engineers that actually create the products.
Pros
great cafeteria, holiday/vacation time rates
Cons
mediocre compensation for the area, but it is a non-profit. no company sponsored events.
GREAT Job Security + Flexibility
Lead Simulation Modeling Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAMarch 1, 2014
Great place to work overall. Challenging problems, good culture in regards to treating employees as valued people, and good work-life balance. Extremely amenable to alternate schedules/teleworking.

NOT a start-up culture though, don't expect to find many office parties, happy hours, or catered lunches.
Pros
flexible, work life balance, challenging work
Cons
no true technical promotion track
Healthy and challenging work environment
Secretary/System Administrator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 24, 2012
The MITRE Corporation is a great place to work. They love hiring families. Out of the office socialization with coworkers is encouraged through team building events, company picnics and other planned activities.

Management is encouraged to assist employees with reaching their full potential whether it is higher education, career shifting, or technical certification.

Coworkers tend to be the best and brightest in their field.

Opportunities to learn new skills and software are everywhere. Employees are able to work on a variety of projects and are not limited to their specific department.
Pros
amazing health and dental, onsite chiropractic care, employee gym, tuition reimbursement, discounts and coupons for local stores and eateries.
Professional working environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shiloh, ILFebruary 1, 2013
A typical day at work would involve greeting visitors that come in for meetings and assigning them a badge. Answer phones, check e-mails, reserve conference rooms, support 29 computer engineers. I book travel for employees, then do expense vouchers for them when they get back, so they will get reimbursed.

I also help set up interviews when needed, welcome new employees and have them fill out all the necessary paperwork, ensure all things have been turned in by employees before they leave the company. I also serve as a local HR contact at our location and help employees with medical and other paperwork and answer questions that employees may have regarding benefits or other HR needs.
Pros
good benefits, flexible spending plan, retirement, good rapport with co-workers
Cons
not much room for advancement for the administrative staff.
Excellent place to work.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  McLean, VirginiaMarch 21, 2012
True work life balance. Management supports good employee moral, by addressing issues, and empowers employees to participate in the harmonizing of the employee culture. Great benefits. There are opportunities for growth.
Pros
work life balance, good culture
Great Place to start or end your career
Information System Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VirginiaMarch 1, 2012
I love MITRE as my first professional career out of college and only having a BS. I enjoy the people I work with on a daily basis they are all highly intelligent and understand their craft very well. However the up and down project work is a bother...one second you can't have enough time in a day and the next you have zero work to do for awhile. The work life balance in unbelievable. I seen lots of companies say it and state it however MITRE Lives it.
I hope to continue my career here and also end it once that time comes.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
chargeable work, some hostility to new and upcoming technologies
Fantastic place to work if.....
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mclean, VAJanuary 22, 2012
your retired or not ambitious. The company places more emphasis on age and education than it does abilities. The company is fabulous however if you are looking to move up the ladder here then you better be ready to wait 20-30 years to do so.
Pros
great atmosphere, great work life balance
Cons
terrible process for promotions and pay raises
Good Worklife Balance - But that is all they got
Principle (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 4, 2014
Management - pretty bad
Organization Learning and capability growth - Bad
Compensation - Below Market
Growth: Only for brown nosers
Leadership: Clueless
Culture: People go there to retire

I think that sums it up.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
you will lose your skils and become outdated in 2 years.
Mitre
Office Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 23, 2013
As an admin person working with MITRE Corporation you will find that you run out of things to do.

MITRE is self-served except with the executive staff. This means that everyone does their own admin task (expense voucher, meeting room reservations, etc.).

I am a worker bee and must be busy. I realize that down time happens on all jobs but you downtime should never out weight the time you should be working. During the last 2 years at MITRE my downtime out weighed the time I should be working so I sought other employment
benefits
Cons
not enough for admin to do
MITRE tries hard to be above average but misses the mark.
Simulation and Modeling Engineer, Lead (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 30, 2013
During my 5 years at the MITRE corporation, I found the management culture to be disjointed from the working levels. I came as a well-known, respected distributed software engineer and trainer. I was promised research and development in these areas but instead remained as a project lead most of my time. My department head viewed me as as "cash cow" and felt little desire to allow me to work in my advertised fields.

In the end I felt like a square peg in a round hole because as a project leader I wanted to help my customer and as a software engineer I wanted to build and create. Instead, I was guided to do things like "attend this meeting for 25 minutes and charge your customer for the hour". This was by the rule since we rounded to the nearest hour in our charges. But, it soon became the rule and way.

The results speak for themselves: MITRE steadily moved down over the last 5 years from being in the top 100 places to work to off the list entirely.
Pros
very relaxed work environment
Cons
seldom guided or empowered to do productive work
Nepotism, poor management
Communications Lead (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 30, 2012
family atmosphere, promotions based on senority alone not skills or accomplishments. management very poor, highly prefers hiring family and friends of employees--against hiring from outside
Pros
compensation, atmosphere
Cons
nepotism, laziness, preferential treatment, bad management
Lots of exceptionally bright people
Senior Software Applications Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 11, 2014
Management is extremely supportive. The work is challenging, lots of variety and opportunity.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
compensation not great, advancement process is convoluted
Very challenging lacking needed management support
Facility Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAOctober 19, 2015
No comment at this time. MITRE can be a really good place to work but they should consider the value of the work performed by the employees and credit them for the work performed.
Overall a good company to work for.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MANovember 13, 2013
Many very talented people. Pay is not great, but OK. They pay attention to work/life balance. Government funding is a cause for uncertainty with respect to job security. Not much room for advancement, management can be very clickish.
Great Learning Experience
Mid-Level Virtual World Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mclean, VirginiaJanuary 8, 2014
MITRE was my first "real world" job opportunity. I enjoy being at the company for almost 3 years before I moved on to pursue more Serious Games Projects. I truly enjoyed Management and the massive amount of extremely intelligent individuals who worked at and I worked with at MITRE.

Great Place to work
Mobility seems a little Political
Great Work Life Balance
Great life balance but advancement is highly political
Lead Communications Engineer; Terminal Systems (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAOctober 26, 2014
Great life balance but advancement is highly political and compensation is also very much tied to that.
Is it really that much different outside of it? Probably not!
Thanks for your service and help!
Busy, Challenging, Engaging, Satisfying
Group lead and Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mclean VAJanuary 28, 2015
I co-direct a team of highly skilled MITRE FFRDC professionals at an executive agency supporting cross cutting IT/Communication services, and support an enterprise architecture project for senior leadership communications.

In addition, I'm responsible for a group of employees in my MITRE department and manage them to their project in support of their perspective project directors.

My direct responsibilities to my sponsors are:
- Strategic Planning and Enterprise Architecture
- Systems Evolution Plan and Technology profile and forecast
Pros
na
Cons
na

4.4