Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Environmental Health and Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 24, 2017
It was a great opportunity to learn and utilize what I obtained from earning my college degree. Unfortunately, I cannot divulge to much information about my last job because of my security clearance, my apologies.
A Good Place to Work
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 5, 2015
MITRE is a good employer - Market rate compensation, good retirement benefits, good work/life balance, great job security...but it's not a *great* place to work.

The culture very much depends on where you work in the company, both in geographic location as well as specific department, but in general things just happen slower than they would at a for-profit company. Middle management and executive leadership rarely seem to mesh in message.

Many have said "MITRE is a great place to retire," which seems accurate.
Pros
work/life balance, retirement benefits
Cons
not the best place for new employees fresh out of college
Solid Engineering Staff With Interesting Work
Member of the Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJMarch 14, 2017
The technical staff and engineers were good people doing interesting work to make the Air Traffic Control systems better and move aircraft more efficiently. Great experience.
A great place to work.
Office Administrative Support Level III (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 10, 2012
A typical day at work was busy, however, I enjoyed every moment of it.

I learned to develop teamworking skills, and time management.

Management as well as my co-workers were very supportive and taught me everything I needed to know and more.

The hardest part of the job was learning the company system, but once I learned, it became a piece of cake. Another hard part was actually leaving the job permantly.

As I said before, I loved every part of this job. My bosses as well as the staff were a pleasure to work for. The working environment was very clean and positive.
Pros
dining facilities, healthcare, 401k, company online system site, clean working environment, management, co-workers, training, advancement, support
This was the place to work.
MEMBER OF THE TECHNICAL STAFF (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA, Bedford, Mass.October 9, 2012
Intellecturally there was no higher quality people, management nor an environment that fostered customer confidence in the Mitre ability to get the job done and produce the desired results. Consequently, the customers kept coming back year after year. That lasted for at least the decade that I was so proud to serve with Mitre, both in Bedford, Mass and Washington D.C. There was no finer staff and management that I was exposed to for at least my 50 years of professional experience. To this day, I sing high praise and pride that I was able to contribute a small amount to that reputation. None finer in the world.
Pros
real professional environment, customer satisfaction, real fine retirement program.
Professional working environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shiloh, ILFebruary 1, 2013
A typical day at work would involve greeting visitors that come in for meetings and assigning them a badge. Answer phones, check e-mails, reserve conference rooms, support 29 computer engineers. I book travel for employees, then do expense vouchers for them when they get back, so they will get reimbursed.

I also help set up interviews when needed, welcome new employees and have them fill out all the necessary paperwork, ensure all things have been turned in by employees before they leave the company. I also serve as a local HR contact at our location and help employees with medical and other paperwork and answer questions that employees may have regarding benefits or other HR needs.
Pros
good benefits, flexible spending plan, retirement, good rapport with co-workers
Cons
not much room for advancement for the administrative staff.
A World-class knowledge and innovation environment
Information Systems Engineering Lead (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 16, 2016
It is a dream come true to pursue ideas and innovate that leads to serving federal agencies.

You can be creative and innovative to benefit the federal agencies.

Nice people and conducive work environment.
Pros
A wonderful learning environment. Research heaven (if you have individual initiative).
Good work-life balance
Senior Health Policy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 17, 2016
Lots of flexibility to work from home and other flexibility. Project management and division management is very frustrating to deal with as no one really seems to be in-charge or accountable.
Pros
balance
Cons
weak leadership
Good work life balance, but...
Systems Engineer, Senior (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 25, 2014
Pros:
A great place to work in the DC metro area. Expect moderate compensation, especially when considering that DC was voted the most expensive area to rent in 2014. I was fortunate enough to work alongside some very talented and intelligent people. There is a good work ethic vibe here, and colleagues are easy to reach out to for guidance, assistance, and advice. Communication is very open, people do not hoard information to protect their jobs here.

Cons:
Management seems somewhat disconnected at times, and loses sight of the real complexities involved in creating products for the sponsor. Management may or may not possess the software skills to even understand the work performed from a high level, so the complete value of team members may not be fully understood.

SMEs are sometimes more highly valued than the hardcore engineers that actually create the products.
Pros
Great cafeteria, holiday/vacation time rates
Cons
Mediocre compensation for the area, but it is a non-profit. No company sponsored events.
Mitre
Office Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 23, 2013
As an admin person working with MITRE Corporation you will find that you run out of things to do.

MITRE is self-served except with the executive staff. This means that everyone does their own admin task (expense voucher, meeting room reservations, etc.).

I am a worker bee and must be busy. I realize that down time happens on all jobs but you downtime should never out weight the time you should be working. During the last 2 years at MITRE my downtime out weighed the time I should be working so I sought other employment
benefits
Cons
not enough for admin to do
Used to be a good place to work, but not any longer.
Lead member (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 14, 2013
Company is constantly chipping away at the benefits package in order to reduce corporate costs. Pay raises have been very small over the past 5 years in order to manage costs. Management is not trustworthy. Nepotism was commonplace in the Division I supported--upper management hires neighbors, friends, and relatives.
Pros
Good retirement benefits
Cons
Management, lack of promotions, no training or conference money, only 8 Federal holidays
Great work life balance and benefits
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shiloh, ILJuly 30, 2015
Management was not honest in making recommendations and providing personal assessments. Excellent co-workers and physical environment was excellent. Great learning opportunities.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
All about bottom line and no growth potential unless in right group
Intelligent and collegial company that has a lot of interesting work.
Senior International Tech Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 28, 2012
Though the demands of the market have pushed MITRE toward a more typical consulting firm, its status as a Federally Funded Research and Development Center still does provide it with opportunities to help the US government solve some of its most complicated and interesting issues.
Pros
excellent benefits, collegial atmosphere, and the overall intelligence of employees is palpable.
Cons
can be challenging to ascend into the mid-to-higher ranks of the company.
Fantastic place to work if.....
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mclean, VAJanuary 22, 2012
your retired or not ambitious. The company places more emphasis on age and education than it does abilities. The company is fabulous however if you are looking to move up the ladder here then you better be ready to wait 20-30 years to do so.
Pros
great atmosphere, great work life balance
Cons
terrible process for promotions and pay raises
Great company
Lead Operations Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2013
MITRE is as good as it gets, only lacks in compensation. Great benefits. Collaboration across the company. Innovative and leaders in the industry. Allowed to build your own career based on your interests.
Pros
Innovative, family oriented company that treats you right. Recognized by the government/military as the best.
Cons
Pays less then other companies performing similar duties
Excellent place to work.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  McLean, VirginiaMarch 21, 2012
True work life balance. Management supports good employee moral, by addressing issues, and empowers employees to participate in the harmonizing of the employee culture. Great benefits. There are opportunities for growth.
Pros
work life balance, good culture
Nepotism, poor management
Communications Lead (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJuly 30, 2012
family atmosphere, promotions based on senority alone not skills or accomplishments. management very poor, highly prefers hiring family and friends of employees--against hiring from outside
Pros
compensation, atmosphere
Cons
nepotism, laziness, preferential treatment, bad management
Great mission toward impact.
Portfolio Director (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 9, 2015
Excellent company to work for regarding mission and benefits. Focused on "doing-what-is-right" without focus on profits.
Pros
Mission, benefits, work-life-balance
Cons
Declining budgets
One of the best places to work
Senior Network and Distributed Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 14, 2013
Mitre is a place where you work with smart people on challenging projects. The only downside is sometimes government work can be mundane, but the vast majority of work is building solutions to very difficult problems related to defense. The benefits are fantastic and it has great job security.
Good Worklife Balance - But that is all they got
Principle (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 4, 2014
Management - pretty bad
Organization Learning and capability growth - Bad
Compensation - Below Market
Growth: Only for brown nosers
Leadership: Clueless
Culture: People go there to retire

I think that sums it up.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
You will lose your skils and become outdated in 2 years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitre Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4