Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

For Engineers Only
Office Administrative Support III (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAMarch 1, 2012
Great corporation to work for if you're an engineer but not for administrative staff. The benefits are excellent but MITRE exercises poor management skills in all areas.
Pros
excellent benefits.
Cons
poor management.
Management is the worst. Administrative staff doesn't really matter.
Office Admin Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMay 19, 2013
A typical day was sitting with nothing to do.
Management sucked.
My co-worker sucked.
Sitting all day with nothing to do.
benefits
Cons
management
Productive and Great Place to Work
HR Recruiting/Generalist Specialist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 24, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is to learn new skills participating in training courses and other functional areas.Management is flexible and very understanding of work life balance.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
geographic
Great benefits; flexible work environment
Senior Communications Strategist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 12, 2013
Great company; work in public interest; outstanding benefits; flexible work environment
Pros
great benefits; flexible work environment
Great place to work.
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 20, 2013
Very interesting place to work, FFDRC provides the an environment for professional and personal growth.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
salary
Great Place to start or end your career
Information System Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VirginiaMarch 1, 2012
I love MITRE as my first professional career out of college and only having a BS. I enjoy the people I work with on a daily basis they are all highly intelligent and understand their craft very well. However the up and down project work is a bother...one second you can't have enough time in a day and the next you have zero work to do for awhile. The work life balance in unbelievable. I seen lots of companies say it and state it however MITRE Lives it.
I hope to continue my career here and also end it once that time comes.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
chargeable work, some hostility to new and upcoming technologies
Healthy and challenging work environment
Secretary/System Administrator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 24, 2012
The MITRE Corporation is a great place to work. They love hiring families. Out of the office socialization with coworkers is encouraged through team building events, company picnics and other planned activities.

Management is encouraged to assist employees with reaching their full potential whether it is higher education, career shifting, or technical certification.

Coworkers tend to be the best and brightest in their field.

Opportunities to learn new skills and software are everywhere. Employees are able to work on a variety of projects and are not limited to their specific department.
Pros
amazing health and dental, onsite chiropractic care, employee gym, tuition reimbursement, discounts and coupons for local stores and eateries.
GREAT Job Security + Flexibility
Lead Simulation Modeling Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MAMarch 1, 2014
Great place to work overall. Challenging problems, good culture in regards to treating employees as valued people, and good work-life balance. Extremely amenable to alternate schedules/teleworking.

NOT a start-up culture though, don't expect to find many office parties, happy hours, or catered lunches.
Pros
flexible, work life balance, challenging work
Cons
no true technical promotion track
Heavy on Staff Augmentation, Light on Innovation
Group Lead (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 30, 2014
Although MITRE claims to fulfill a role separate from that of the for-profit consultancies, it has lost that mission and the specialized culture with it. Whether you're a systems engineer, scientist, or business analyst, a day at MITRE is about the same -- authoring PowerPoint presentations for government clients, setting up meetings, and occasionally sitting in on a budget meeting.
Pros
retirement matching
Cons
extremely slow promotions, lackluster management
Busy, Challenging, Engaging, Satisfying
Group lead and Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mclean VAJanuary 28, 2015
I co-direct a team of highly skilled MITRE FFRDC professionals at an executive agency supporting cross cutting IT/Communication services, and support an enterprise architecture project for senior leadership communications.

In addition, I'm responsible for a group of employees in my MITRE department and manage them to their project in support of their perspective project directors.

My direct responsibilities to my sponsors are:
- Strategic Planning and Enterprise Architecture
- Systems Evolution Plan and Technology profile and forecast
Pros
na
Cons
na
Great place to work - benefits and retirement are great.
Personnel Security Assistant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 3, 2015
I am a control center operator providing access control to employees and contractors. The management team cares about their employees and strive to get the best out in them.
Great Learning Experience
Mid-Level Virtual World Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mclean, VirginiaJanuary 8, 2014
MITRE was my first "real world" job opportunity. I enjoy being at the company for almost 3 years before I moved on to pursue more Serious Games Projects. I truly enjoyed Management and the massive amount of extremely intelligent individuals who worked at and I worked with at MITRE.

Great Place to work
Mobility seems a little Political
Great Work Life Balance
Overall a good company to work for.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MANovember 13, 2013
Many very talented people. Pay is not great, but OK. They pay attention to work/life balance. Government funding is a cause for uncertainty with respect to job security. Not much room for advancement, management can be very clickish.
A mission centered company
Principle Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 13, 2014
MITRE is very focused on serving the needs of various agencies across the federal government.

You have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects in a single agency or across multiple agencies.

I have been able to work on the defense side and various civilian agencies in a strategic capacity helping to move the government forward.

My coworkers are very helpful and everyone will provide their expertise and experience on a subject if you ask.
Pros
very skilled and experienced staff, work life balance is highly promoted and expected.
Cons
lots of mobile workers so face to face collaboration can be difficult at times.
Review Summary
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shiloh, ILApril 20, 2015
A typical day at work would be badging in anywhere from 10 to 60 people to attend meetings. Booking travel for 1 or more engineers, and doing there expense reports. Loaning out computers that I have configured myself. Setting up classified meetings and managing a classified computer. Co-workers are challenging.

Hardest part of the job is managing our Corporate office's expectations, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the people
Pros
People
Cons
Managers
MITRE tries hard to be above average but misses the mark.
Simulation and Modeling Engineer, Lead (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 30, 2013
During my 5 years at the MITRE corporation, I found the management culture to be disjointed from the working levels. I came as a well-known, respected distributed software engineer and trainer. I was promised research and development in these areas but instead remained as a project lead most of my time. My department head viewed me as as "cash cow" and felt little desire to allow me to work in my advertised fields.

In the end I felt like a square peg in a round hole because as a project leader I wanted to help my customer and as a software engineer I wanted to build and create. Instead, I was guided to do things like "attend this meeting for 25 minutes and charge your customer for the hour". This was by the rule since we rounded to the nearest hour in our charges. But, it soon became the rule and way.

The results speak for themselves: MITRE steadily moved down over the last 5 years from being in the top 100 places to work to off the list entirely.
Pros
very relaxed work environment
Cons
seldom guided or empowered to do productive work
Limited time opportunity.
Associate Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 25, 2015
Very friendly and supportive environment. Technology leaders are always happy to help in the learning process for entry-level candidates.
Good and fun environment
Desktop Configuration Specialsist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 30, 2015
Mitre is a very fun and professional environment. I have learned a plethora of different types of systems and what while working here.
very overated and self satisfied
SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 12, 2013
Once a powerhouse, now a mere shell. They tout how their work is somehow at a higher level than other contractors, but in reality they are just another company bowing and scraping for the few government scraps.

Forget advancement unless you meet the politically correct template and you have the right friends.
Pros
good cafeteria
Cons
pompous management
A company of engineers
Senior Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 25, 2013
As a FFRDC, the company operates very much within those boundaries. Day to day, there is always a talk of something new, something to explore, something to learn. The main downside is there is no accountability for management, and that tends to reward incompetence. This can make it difficult when trying to pushing something forward and finalize on a single project. At times you will have team leads, or upper management that have a "rockstar" mentality which tends to cause a large amount of grief for people trying to complete the work. This however is probably MITRE's only short coming.
Pros
a pure research and development environment
Cons
no management accountability

4.4