Mitre Corporation

Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews

great people
Manager, Diversity and Work Life Programs (Former Employee), Bedford, MAMay 15, 2013
It was an wonderful organization to work with and I developed many lasting relationships
MITRE tries hard to be above average but misses the mark.
Simulation and Modeling Engineer, Lead (Former Employee), McLean, VAApril 30, 2013
Pros: very relaxed work environment
Cons: seldom guided or empowered to do productive work
During my 5 years at the MITRE corporation, I found the management culture to be disjointed from the working levels. I came as a well-known, respected distributed software engineer and trainer. I was promised research and development in these areas but instead remained as a project lead most of my time. My department head viewed me as as "cash cow" and felt little desire to allow me to work in my advertised fields.

In the end I felt like a square peg in a round hole because as a project leader I wanted to help my customer and as a software engineer I wanted to build and create. Instead, I was guided to do things like "attend this meeting for 25 minutes and charge your customer for the hour". This was by the rule since we rounded to the nearest hour in our charges. But, it soon became the rule and way.

The results speak for themselves: MITRE steadily moved down over the last 5 years from being in the top 100 places to work to off the list entirely.
Good workplace and workforce.
Manager (Current Employee), McLean, VAApril 18, 2013
Good environment to share ideas.
Up to date use of software systems.
Management structure is hierarchical.
Great team members.
Required to ensure government reg compliance.
Terrific workplace environment.
Truly a great place for Research and Development
Technical Project Support Specialist III (Former Employee), McLean, VAMarch 13, 2013
A typical day always greeted you with a smile. The industry I worked for, dealt with Airport and Airspace, for which I acquired a great deal of transferable skills. The knowledge sharing with my co-workers was invaluable. The hardest part was my last day; for sequestration of the FAA budget spawned layoffs within the company. The many years of public service, made the seven years of employment, shaped my professional objective.
Great benefits; flexible work environment
Senior Communications Strategist (Current Employee), McLean, VAMarch 12, 2013
Pros: great benefits; flexible work environment
Great company; work in public interest; outstanding benefits; flexible work environment
Going through reorganization and a little bit scarry
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), O'Fallon, ILFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: building, parking
Cons: micro management
Management is hard to deal with. Co-workers are great. Management does not treat everyone fairly.
Professional working environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Shiloh, ILFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: good benefits, flexible spending plan, retirement, good rapport with co-workers
Cons: not much room for advancement for the administrative staff.
A typical day at work would involve greeting visitors that come in for meetings and assigning them a badge. Answer phones, check e-mails, reserve conference rooms, support 29 computer engineers. I book travel for employees, then do expense vouchers for them when they get back, so they will get reimbursed.

I also help set up interviews when needed, welcome new employees and have them fill out all the necessary paperwork, ensure all things have been turned in by employees before they leave the company. I also serve as a local HR contact at our location and help employees with medical and other paperwork and answer questions that employees may have regarding benefits or other HR needs.
Professional working environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Shiloh, ILFebruary 1, 2013
Cons: not much room for advancement for the administrative staff.

A company of engineers
Senior Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: a pure research and development environment
Cons: no management accountability
As a FFRDC, the company operates very much within those boundaries. Day to day, there is always a talk of something new, something to explore, something to learn. The main downside is there is no accountability for management, and that tends to reward incompetence. This can make it difficult when trying to pushing something forward and finalize on a single project. At times you will have team leads, or upper management that have a "rockstar" mentality which tends to cause a large amount of grief for people trying to complete the work. This however is probably MITRE's only short coming.
MITRE
Office Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: not enough for admin to do
As an admin person working with MITRE Corporation you will find that you run out of things to do.

MITRE is self-served except with the executive staff. This means that everyone does their own admin task (expense voucher, meeting room reservations, etc.).

I am a worker bee and must be busy. I realize that down time happens on all jobs but you downtime should never out weight the time you should be working. During the last 2 years at MITRE my downtime out weighed the time I should be working so I sought other employment
Healthy and challenging work environment
Secretary/System Administrator (Former Employee), McLean, VAOctober 24, 2012
Pros: amazing health and dental, onsite chiropractic care, employee gym, tuition reimbursement, discounts and coupons for local stores and eateries.
The MITRE Corporation is a great place to work. They love hiring families. Out of the office socialization with coworkers is encouraged through team building events, company picnics and other planned activities.

Management is encouraged to assist employees with reaching their full potential whether it is higher education, career shifting, or technical certification.

Coworkers tend to be the best and brightest in their field.

Opportunities to learn new skills and software are everywhere. Employees are able to work on a variety of projects and are not limited to their specific department.
This was the place to work.
MEMBER OF THE TECHNICAL STAFF (Former Employee), McLean, VA, Bedford, Mass.October 9, 2012
Pros: real professional environment, customer satisfaction, real fine retirement program.
Intellecturally there was no higher quality people, management nor an environment that fostered customer confidence in the Mitre ability to get the job done and produce the desired results. Consequently, the customers kept coming back year after year. That lasted for at least the decade that I was so proud to serve with Mitre, both in Bedford, Mass and Washington D.C. There was no finer staff and management that I was exposed to for at least my 50 years of professional experience. To this day, I sing high praise and pride that I was able to contribute a small amount to that reputation. None finer in the world.
One of the best companies I could work for
Principal Engineer (Current Employee), Bedford, MA, and O'Fallon, ILAugust 13, 2012
Proud to work for this company. I think the rigour one would expect in a systems engineering outfit has degraded somewhat into the customer's bureaucratic process and culture. My personal challenge is to overcome that over-damped bureaucratic culture and provide the sponsor with higher quality output and value.
Review
Principal Multi-Disciplinary Engineer (Current Employee), McLean, VAAugust 4, 2012
Pros: family supportive, individual recognition.
Cons: not the best benefits, they hire experience but start you at 2 weeks off to use for everything (vacation, sick leave, etc.) just like a new hire fresh out of school.
Great company to work for. Good work/family balance. Good managers. Dedicated to supporting sponsors. Excellent employee-to-employee cooperation and help.
Nepotism, poor management
Communications Lead (Current Employee), McLean, VAJuly 30, 2012
Pros: compensation, atmosphere
Cons: nepotism, laziness, preferential treatment, bad management
family atmosphere, promotions based on senority alone not skills or accomplishments. management very poor, highly prefers hiring family and friends of employees--against hiring from outside
A great place to work.
Office Administrative Support Level III (Former Employee), McLean, VAJuly 10, 2012
Pros: dining facilities, healthcare, 401k, company online system site, clean working environment, management, co-workers, training, advancement, support
A typical day at work was busy, however, I enjoyed every moment of it.

I learned to develop teamworking skills, and time management.

Management as well as my co-workers were very supportive and taught me everything I needed to know and more.

The hardest part of the job was learning the company system, but once I learned, it became a piece of cake. Another hard part was actually leaving the job permantly.

As I said before, I loved every part of this job. My bosses as well as the staff were a pleasure to work for. The working environment was very clean and positive.
Mitre
Domain Operations Analyst, Lead (Current Employee), McLean, VAJuly 9, 2012
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: benefits have gone down- not enough vacation
Great company.
Lots of opportunities for growth
Lots of opportunities for research
Good work Life Balance
Challenging and Professional
Principal INFOSEC Engineer (Current Employee), Ft. Meade Md.July 7, 2012
Mitre continues to stand out above its peers in quality of the work product and professionalism of its team.
Intelligent and collegial company that has a lot of interesting work.
Senior International Tech Analyst (Current Employee), McLean, VAJune 28, 2012
Pros: excellent benefits, collegial atmosphere, and the overall intelligence of employees is palpable.
Cons: can be challenging to ascend into the mid-to-higher ranks of the company.
Though the demands of the market have pushed MITRE toward a more typical consulting firm, its status as a Federally Funded Research and Development Center still does provide it with opportunities to help the US government solve some of its most complicated and interesting issues.
No job on earth like it!
Imagery Analyst (Current Employee), McLean, VAJune 22, 2012
The best place to work! Flex hours and comfortable environment. If you work hard, people appreciate it!

About Mitre Corporation

Politicians try to engineer a better government, but MITRE governs the country's best engineering. A private, not-for-profit organization, – Read more

Mitre Corporation Salaries