Mitre Corporation Employee Reviews

Busy, Challenging, Engaging, Satisfying
Group lead and Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mclean VAJanuary 28, 2015
I co-direct a team of highly skilled MITRE FFRDC professionals at an executive agency supporting cross cutting IT/Communication services, and support an enterprise architecture project for senior leadership communications.

In addition, I'm responsible for a group of employees in my MITRE department and manage them to their project in support of their perspective project directors.

My direct responsibilities to my sponsors are:
- Strategic Planning and Enterprise Architecture
- Systems Evolution Plan and Technology profile and forecast
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
MITRE is unique in that it is an FFRDC. This made it a great company to work for cause it didn't always look at the bottom line.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJune 15, 2014
Pretty much a normal 40 hour week. But, as a Senior Secretary, I often covered up at "Rug Row." There, supporting the various VPs and the President, I came in contact with many leaders from Capital Hill; that was an eye opener. I loved every minute. I worked at MITRE when there was the big transition into the computer world as a daily tool. It was, at times, quite intimidating. But I sincerely loved the people there. It was the best job I every had.
Pros
Great management; true leadership from the top down.
For Engineers Only
Office Administrative Support III (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAMarch 1, 2012
Great corporation to work for if you're an engineer but not for administrative staff. The benefits are excellent but MITRE exercises poor management skills in all areas.
Pros
excellent benefits.
Cons
poor management.
No room for advancement or to learn anything new
Project Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 17, 2013
I did a production process biweekly, activate projects, set up new departments and section IDs. Transfer funds from one project to another. Maintained a log of all cost transfers processed or sent to accounts payable. Answer e-mails requesting changes in project status, bill fee overrides, adding new fee overrides and closing projects.

I learned a lot about projects and how to fix issues that came up. It was a laid back environment where every one knew what they needed to do to everyday without much supervision.

The hardest part was making sure everyone who sent in a cost transfer memo had everything it needed so it could be transferred but that rarely happened. The best part of the job was acquiring the knowledge I needed to perform the duties that were required for this position, however it changed constantly.
Pros
Learning about project management
Cons
Being the last to know about things affecting my job, and there was no way to advance in this position no matter how well you did your job.
Intelligent and collegial company that has a lot of interesting work.
Senior International Tech Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 28, 2012
Though the demands of the market have pushed MITRE toward a more typical consulting firm, its status as a Federally Funded Research and Development Center still does provide it with opportunities to help the US government solve some of its most complicated and interesting issues.
Pros
excellent benefits, collegial atmosphere, and the overall intelligence of employees is palpable.
Cons
can be challenging to ascend into the mid-to-higher ranks of the company.
Management is the worst. Administrative staff doesn't really matter.
Office Admin Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMay 19, 2013
A typical day was sitting with nothing to do.
Management sucked.
My co-worker sucked.
Sitting all day with nothing to do.
Benefits
Great Company
Lead Information Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MASeptember 30, 2014
Work on top technology for some of the most important issues for the nation. Great pay and benefits. Great work life balance.
Great place for provision of public service in advanced technology.
Lead Systems and Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJuly 17, 2014
A typical day at work is extremely professional in all ways.
I've learned cutting edge technology and how the military performs systems engineering.
The management is top notch and co-workers are high achievers dedicated to serving the public interests.
The hardest part of the job is out-pacing strict schedules and the
most enjoyable part of the job is know you have served the tax-payer of the USA.
Pros
Great opportunity to serve the tax-payer.
Cons
Availability of job funding.
People are nice, but no room for advancement
Information Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 23, 2014
Phone calls are constant, customers are calm and professional.

I've learned a lot about Government regulations and writing profiles/ssps to get systems accredited.

Managers are nice, very laid back. But after 8 years at this job, I feel that I deserve a promotion.

Hardest part of this job is dealing with all the goverment inspections. We have multiple sponsors, and inspections all year long.

The most enjoyable part of this job is the people who work here. They are generally very kind and hard working.
Section leader
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Eatontown, New JerseyDecember 1, 2015
As section leader had technical responsibility for team and also worked as a non-for profit representaive serving both goverment and civilans as well. Duties required in depth technical knowledge of software development and its applcation with communication systems. Was able to influence design in such a way the governmement could justify its approach to chiefs of staff to civilians.
Pros
tremendous opertunity to get recognized for work you were resonsible for.
Excellent company considered on of the Best DOD Contractors
Lead Engineer, Systems Engineering (Former Employee) –  Scott AFB IllinoisJune 9, 2012
Worked on top Secret projects so this review is limited in what I am free to say.
Pros
outstanding company, great benefits
Cons
working in the consulting world and constant challenges of the dod
Productive and challenging work environment concerned with the advancement of the Nation's public interest.
Information Systems Engineer, Senior (Current Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 6, 2015
Mitre is a federally-funded research and development center (FFRDC) chartered to provide unbiased and objective advice to the government. It's central focus is systems engineering and complex systems-of-systems.

Mitre presents its employees with a challenging, rewarding and dynamic work experience, while allowing them to maintain a balance between work and personal life.
Review
Principal Multi-Disciplinary Engineer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 4, 2012
Great company to work for. Good work/family balance. Good managers. Dedicated to supporting sponsors. Excellent employee-to-employee cooperation and help.
Pros
family supportive, individual recognition.
Cons
not the best benefits, they hire experience but start you at 2 weeks off to use for everything (vacation, sick leave, etc.) just like a new hire fresh out of school.
Great place to work.
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 20, 2013
Very interesting place to work, FFDRC provides the an environment for professional and personal growth.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Salary
Data Entry - Programming- Administrative
Lead Tech Telephony- Avaya VoIP (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 29, 2012
Evaluate system specifications and software down loads on to the phones for business requirements. Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Solid understanding of business practices with fundamental understanding of project management methodology.
Pros
working hands on with engineers-management
Cons
contract was not long enough
Great/Amazing company
College Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MAJanuary 5, 2016
I love working with this company. The environment is amazing and so are the people. Everyone is extremely helpful, kind, and willing to help if they have the band-width to do so. The company locations and sites are beautiful and extremely relaxing as well.
Great benefits; flexible work environment
Senior Communications Strategist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 12, 2013
Great company; work in public interest; outstanding benefits; flexible work environment
Pros
great benefits; flexible work environment
One of the best companies I could work for
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bedford, MA, and O'Fallon, ILAugust 13, 2012
Proud to work for this company. I think the rigour one would expect in a systems engineering outfit has degraded somewhat into the customer's bureaucratic process and culture. My personal challenge is to overcome that over-damped bureaucratic culture and provide the sponsor with higher quality output and value.
Challegning and Beneficial place to work!
Facilities Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 19, 2012
The company is a not-for-profit federally funded research and development organization. They work for different military and governement agencies, completing projects.
Pros
benefits (medical, dental, vision), leave time, sick time, vacation time, 401k, etc
Cons
distance, select departments can telecommute, etc.
Great place to work - benefits and retirement are great.
Personnel Security Assistant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 3, 2015
I am a control center operator providing access control to employees and contractors. The management team cares about their employees and strive to get the best out in them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mitre Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4