MKS Instruments Employee Reviews

Productivity really matters
Production Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAMay 5, 2014
Great place to work. Productivity really matters. Good work environment with plenty of engineering support. Technology is always considered and improvements are slways welcome. Maintenance team lacks of knowledge and desire of work but engineering always support and compensate that weakness. Manufacturing and Engineering supervisors are really supporting and conscious of priorities.Great communication at all levels. Job not stable all times. Semicondutor market has too many ups an downs. Productivity, improvement and achievement are words that really describes MKS.
Pros
awesome cafeteria
Cons
job security depend on semiconductor market.
fun, very pleasant co worker, always looking forward to go to work
Assembler II / Shipping And Recieving / Clean room (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 18, 2012
I learned alot here since all my co-worker have 20+ years age wise on me. I actually like going into work seeing my co-worker's faces, my two bosses probly the best bosses I had so far. There's pretty much no hardest part of the job we get trained till we're confidence on our own. I find it very enjoyable on break and lunch time, listening to co-workers talking about politics and what's on the news, Something that i never paid attention too but there's always something that always amaze me.
Pros
fun, long breaks, always work to do, friendly co-workers
Cons
kind of hard to thing of one
Market leader in measurement systems (semiconductor mfg)
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAFebruary 21, 2013
Strong manufacturing operations, with strong product development processes, in keeping with the demands of the business -- worked closely with customers to continuously improve product delivery on time at the point of use by the customer -- the epitome of working with customers to achieve success for all parties. Could not change the dynamic business cycles, however. Required intense intercommunications skills, both within MKS and among its customers, learning and utilizing that knowledge in navigating divers languages and cultures.
it was a nice place to work till it got big
machinist (Former Employee) –  burlington mass andover mass,lawrence massAugust 18, 2015
i worked there for 24 years starting in the 1970s when it was just 34 people ...they took good care of us but after it grew they just seemed to stop caring about the workers. i worked in the machine shop, at times i worked 16 hours a day to help product get shipped on time.after that they just stopped caring about us.many with a lot of years there were simply laid off,pretty sad that they no longer cared about us,almost half my life was spent there .all for nothing they didnt even care anymore
Pros
great 401K
Cons
the workers no longer seemed to matter to them

Comment – December 7, 2015

i worked in the shop too ,they seem to lay off just to have something to do and dont care if you were a good worker or not. i saw a bunch of great workers let go and they kept their pals ...very poor management, the lay offs happen even if they are busy ..its just something they do kinda of a game with them ..i learned that the hard way and got out of there,funny part is none of the higher ups ever get let go,too bad otherwise its a very nice place to work at.one day they will tell your your doing great ,the next day your laid off ,go figure.

Comment – December 11, 2015

yes the machine shop in lawrence mass is very poorly run ,if you're not in the click they let you go,picture a shop of 34 machinists with 4 supervisors some thing is very wrong with that, i worked in a shop with 54 others,1 supervisor,and these 4 tell you they are over worked! too funny,they get mad if anyone from andover comes in to check on them,they call them company spys . theres alway been something fishy going on and they dont want any one to know it. maybe some day the people in andover will wise up

Comment – December 20, 2015

from what i hear MKS was a great place to work long ago,but now its a bad place,24 years ? and they showed you the door ,thats so very wrong. it shows that they no longer care about people ...sad.

terrible company
R&D Manager (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAApril 5, 2012
poor communication top to bottom, terrible supply chain, dysfunctional company,
they offer incentives (raises) via stock, but pay off in 3 yrs if you are employed,

their concern for proper business practices is low, get the product out the door, low quality, old technology.

lack of design discipline, resources & documentation. no formal process & audits for ensuring a quality product.

I've seen start up companies that are better.

overall most divisions were un coupled, yet suffer the same problems.
Cons
many, nothing was positive
conservative company
Buyer/ Planner (Former Employee) –  Andover, MANovember 6, 2012
Continous approach to diversify market mix to ensure a profitable future. Shares earnings with employees - good times reaps rewards, bad times expect smart planning decisions in advance and everyone comes together.

Challenges every day make for a rewarding work environment. Would recommend this company at the top of my list.
Pros
employee stock options, bonus when business is good, employee empowerment
Cons
cyclical business market creates insecurity
Very intresting type of job.
Master Scheduler/Planner/Buyer (TEMP) (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMarch 22, 2015
i was a stock room attendant for engineering group, i had to have a min, max of parts in stock room at all times. If i needed to order weekly would get with engineers to see if what i put on order was all they needed. Did all transactions and whatever else was necessary for the job. Great people to work with. Always willing to help with any question's. I enjoyed working with ordering parts through a Oracle system.
A friendly, team-oriented group at a great location!
ASSISTANT TO CHIEF PATENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Andover, MAOctober 31, 2012
I love the environment at MKS, everyone has been extremely friendly and welcoming to me. My superiors are very knowledgeable and approachable. The hardest part of the job will be leaving when my assignment is over.
Pros
food cafe onsite, modern offices and breathtakingly beautiful grounds, particularly during the fall.
Cons
occasional heavy traffic on 495.
Productive and friendly environment
Assembler II (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MASeptember 24, 2012
This is a very easy going job once you get the hang of it. I enjoy working here and the people are great. We all work together to help each other complete each task before its time to go home. There is nothing really hard about this job.
Pros
very understanding, good pay good benefits
Cons
took a while for me to become permanent. same thing everyday which makes it a little boring
Disoriented work culture
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 10, 2014
Five separate divisions trying to act as one company.
Hardest part of the position was to get Divisional Management to be customer focused.
Management was lacking in leadership.
Technical support personnel were good.
Technology seemed to fall behind competition.
Pros
qualified support engineering
Cons
lack of leadership from executive management
Electronic Assembler
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Andover, MASeptember 19, 2014
⦁ Assembled electronic equipments and parts as per company's policies.
⦁ Assembly line work with team in station for build product.
⦁ Repaired and modify electronic assemblies as per the requirement.
⦁ Used different hand and power tool to create assembly.
⦁ Carried out various types of assembly operation.
Productive and active
DISTRIBUTION COORDINATOR III (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAJanuary 23, 2013
great place to work. not secure when business is slow.learned 4 departments (shipping,finished goods,receiving.and stockroom )
Co - workers were great and very helpfull. Group leader was very helpfull in teaching all aspects of job.
Pros
steadywork when business is good
Cons
layoffs when no business
I enjoy working with the people at MKS.
Senior Materials Manager (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 13, 2014
Typical day is very hectic. Customer's best interests are first consideration in all major business decisions. Focus on opportunities for improvement. Quality before schedule.
Pros
frequent bonuses for all levels of employment
Cons
limited resources, extra hours a must
A Relaxed Workplace
RF Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 23, 2015
My time at MKS was a little boring. My manager usually did not give me enough to do. While working at MKS I was able to gain skills which were not taught at my school such as soldering and other practical skills.
Pros
relaxed, easy to fit in, low stress
Cons
not much room for advancement, boring
Very uncomfortable place to work. Not really sure of what is expected of me
Machine Operator II (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 17, 2015
Zero job security! Very low production employee moral! Company would really like to move. I don't believe then will be here in 5 years.
Pros
I don't see any!
Cons
Extremly long temp to hire
Good management, Solving interesting problems
Research Engineer - Plasma Sciences (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAAugust 6, 2013
Management is very engaging, helps to solve problems.
Combination of open ended research with a focus on long term goal of product development and quality assurance.
Great place to do consulting
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAFebruary 10, 2014
Great products I was evaluation. Greta management teams. Friendly laboratories. All instrumentation was available.. Enjoyed the people as well.
Pros
good company
Cons
a bit hard driving on 95 north in the morning.
productive and fun work place with friendly coworkers
Mechanical assembler (Former Employee) –  North Andover, MAMarch 22, 2012
mks is a very good company and place to work for. is to bad that economy in the US is not going well, other wise i would still have my job.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 20, 2013
MKS Instruments is a rewarding, fun, and energetic place to work. They have great management commitment to the success of the individual as well as the company.
I worked at a division office and did not feel like part of the company
Sr. Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 23, 2012
Our dept was underminded by the HQ office. We were let gowith out even meeting our Management.