MKS Instruments Employee Reviews

Very poor collaboration
Snr SQA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 6, 2017
I worked here 2 years as the only Software QA Eng on staff. I was asked by senior mgmt to inplement a QA policy, implement a QA test strategy, and implement a QA automation test framework.

The position was later absorbed into the DEV group, when senior management received a promotion.

DEV management and the DEV department refused to follow the same QA policy that I was previously asked to implement. Zero cooperation or collaboration from the developers who’s software I had to test. Clarification questions for how features were implemented were flat out refused. Requests to adhere to a standard web app development structure so that I could automate it were flat out refused.

I tolerated this for 2 years, and with zero support, I quit without notice. The Company didn’t desire their work to be tested by QA, clearly, and I didn’t have any support from management to enforce anything at all.
Pros
Cons
zero collaboration
Engineering Technician 3 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 16, 2017
Work 8 hours a day. Learn test and repair process. Had a good management. Workplace culture was good. I love this kind of job and it was no hard time at all.
Review
Facilities Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MAOctober 19, 2017
Good place to work, friendly people and small but nice cafeteria. good benefit package with option to buy stock. Offers health insur, dental, FSA, 401K and 3% match.
Pros
Acknowledge birthdays
Cons
cubicles
Fun place to work
Electronics Engineer (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAJune 30, 2017
Good place to work. I would recommend it to a friend. The benefits are good. The working atmosphere is also good. The company is expanding and the potential is there for secure employment.
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAMay 22, 2017
Sensor Instrument test calibration, troubleshooting, rework
Learned how to troubleshooting test station failures
Great management
Great team work and enjoy working with coworker
Good People to work with
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 17, 2017
I loved working for MKS mostly because of the people that I worked with and the overall environment is pretty positive. Unfortunately I knew this position was just a temporary stepping stone. They have a bad reputation of hiring people when the hit a busy season or land a big contract but they do huge layoffs as soon as it slows back down again.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Frequent Layoffs
It's an okay place.
Sustaining Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 17, 2017
Was only interning, so I never got to do anything extensive (but it could be my lack of ability). Also there weren't any young people there so it was hard to bond with anyone there aside.
Working for MKS
Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee) –  Methuen, MAMay 17, 2017
Same routine everyday.. management was basically absent. Work for the company, don't go through an agency if you want a balance between work and life.
Pros
close to home, good pay
no structure at all
Electronics Technician II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 13, 2017
management was practically non existent. many are hired on as temp employees an are given little chance for advancement. and the pay is a joke so do not expect much.
laid back
intern (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAFebruary 2, 2017
MKS was very laid back during my time as an intern there. The work could sometimes be dull but also interesting depending on the product line. People were friendly and approachable
Worse Working Environment Ever
Principal Electronics Engineer (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAMay 25, 2016
Very Dysfunctional.. Non-appreciative... Difficult Working environment.. Cut-throat...

The management is manipulative and very bullying... Very negative management. Employees are Demoralized.. Stay clear of the Methuen Business Unit... GM is the worse...
Enjoyed working for this company.
CNC MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 8, 2016
I had amazing co-workers. Learned a lot from this company. The benefits were amazing, we were even taken to a Rockies game.
Pros
Benefits and learning experience.
Cons
Company planned to shut down.
Great Company
Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COMarch 15, 2016
MKS was a very tight fit group. Great team spirited. Excellent Benefits. They had a no time card policy, employee's recorded their own time in which I found amazing. This really increased the trust issue between employee's and management.
Mixed review
Electro-mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MAFebruary 5, 2016
Great employees are leaned on heavily to produce and are safe from cyclical reductions, but advancement and salary increases do not happen. Local managers are very reasonable, but hands are tied and they are powerless to make changes. Long term employees are surrounded by a revolving group of temps who have no hope of ever being hired despite their title of "temp to hire".
Pros
Friendly management in exchange for low pay
Cons
Low pay
Very uncomfortable place to work. Not really sure of what is expected of me
Machine Operator II (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 17, 2015
Zero job security! Very low production employee moral! Company would really like to move. I don't believe then will be here in 5 years.
Pros
I don't see any!
Cons
Extremly long temp to hire
it was a nice place to work till it got big
machinist (Former Employee) –  burlington mass andover mass,lawrence massAugust 18, 2015
i worked there for 24 years starting in the 1970s when it was just 34 people ...they took good care of us but after it grew they just seemed to stop caring about the workers. i worked in the machine shop, at times i worked 16 hours a day to help product get shipped on time.after that they just stopped caring about us.many with a lot of years there were simply laid off,pretty sad that they no longer cared about us,almost half my life was spent there .all for nothing they didnt even care anymore
Pros
great 401K
Cons
the workers no longer seemed to matter to them

Comment – December 7, 2015

i worked in the shop too ,they seem to lay off just to have something to do and dont care if you were a good worker or not. i saw a bunch of great workers let go and they kept their pals ...very poor management, the lay offs happen even if they are busy ..its just something they do kinda of a game with them ..i learned that the hard way and got out of there,funny part is none of the higher ups ever get let go,too bad otherwise its a very nice place to work at.one day they will tell your your doing great ,the next day your laid off ,go figure.

Comment – December 11, 2015

yes the machine shop in lawrence mass is very poorly run ,if you're not in the click they let you go,picture a shop of 34 machinists with 4 supervisors some thing is very wrong with that, i worked in a shop with 54 others,1 supervisor,and these 4 tell you they are over worked! too funny,they get mad if anyone from andover comes in to check on them,they call them company spys . theres alway been something fishy going on and they dont want any one to know it. maybe some day the people in andover will wise up

Comment – December 20, 2015

from what i hear MKS was a great place to work long ago,but now its a bad place,24 years ? and they showed you the door ,thats so very wrong. it shows that they no longer care about people ...sad.

Comment – September 17, 2017

yes the Lawrence mass machine shop has some odd things going on ..its best to look the other way and pretend you didn't see any thing. just stay out of whats going on or you'll be laid off .

A Relaxed Workplace
RF Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 23, 2015
My time at MKS was a little boring. My manager usually did not give me enough to do. While working at MKS I was able to gain skills which were not taught at my school such as soldering and other practical skills.
Pros
relaxed, easy to fit in, low stress
Cons
not much room for advancement, boring
Very intresting type of job.
Master Scheduler/Planner/Buyer (TEMP) (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMarch 22, 2015
i was a stock room attendant for engineering group, i had to have a min, max of parts in stock room at all times. If i needed to order weekly would get with engineers to see if what i put on order was all they needed. Did all transactions and whatever else was necessary for the job. Great people to work with. Always willing to help with any question's. I enjoyed working with ordering parts through a Oracle system.
Electronic Assembler
Electronic Assembler (Former Employee) –  Andover, MASeptember 19, 2014
⦁ Assembled electronic equipments and parts as per company's policies.
⦁ Assembly line work with team in station for build product.
⦁ Repaired and modify electronic assemblies as per the requirement.
⦁ Used different hand and power tool to create assembly.
⦁ Carried out various types of assembly operation.
Review
Senior Engineering Manager, Quality (Current Employee) –  MAJune 24, 2014
Company in semiconductor industry; Interfacing with customers on issues,