MLive Media Group Employee Reviews

Relaxed Culture, Poor Management
Digital Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 21, 2017
Culture around office is sold as relaxed and helpful when in reality everyone is confused and frustrated in the direction of the company and what goals the managers set forth.

Very little to no training is provided. Additionally no room for growth as the company is made up of two entry level position teams and management, who isn't going anywhere.

Management does not know how to manage. Constantly changes job structures and teams to move in a different direction. 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Managers consistently harass and push boundaries to hit a sales goals.
Pros
Great pay, Flexible PTO
Cons
poor management, no options for advancement once past entry level
Hard to make goals
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 16, 2017
Goals are hard to achieve
Work-life balance was positive
Great Employees to work with
Management was unrealistic with goals
Need to focus back on the core product which is print
Great
Obituaries Representative (Current Employee) –  Walker, MIJuly 18, 2017
I love working there. The people are great. The work is fulfilling. Our manager cares about us, encourages us, gives constructive criticism for the purpose of improving her people. She is fair with the customers.
Cons
They outsourced my job to Ohio so I had to leave.
One hand knows not what the other is doing
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIApril 27, 2017
It took over 3 months and 6 interviews to get hired. Then they give you two days of training and put you in an office with your phone and computer and ask you to begin calling clients. If you have questions or need assistance you have to submit a form and wait upwards of 24hrs for a response. Not a friendly environment to work in.
I enjoyed my time at MLive
Reporter, High School Sports Central Desk (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 29, 2017
My time at MLive was great. I enjoyed every single second I was there. I had co-workers and I gained a lot of experience. My writing improved as well.
Pros
Hours, experience, networking, location
Cons
It wasn't a full-time job
Outrageous goals, poor management
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 30, 2017
Don't waste your time. I was once told that by year 3 they make it impossible to make money and it's completely true. Company structure is always changing, negatively affecting your clients.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Ever changing goals, accounts constantly moved, poor managers
Great Products
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 9, 2016
This was a good place to work for me first jumping int the digital marketing world. I was able to learn so much about the industry which now I woud be considered an expert.
Sportswriter (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMay 4, 2016
Was a great place to work until downsizing took its toll on the morale. Great atmosphere to work in until the fall of the newspaper industry.
Great work environment, Chronicle was a family.
Sales Associates (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at the Muskegon Chronicle was enjoyable and hard working. I learned so many aspect of the office, customer service, print advertising. The management was always there for you and typically worked right along with us. All my co-workers at the Chronicle were amazing and just like a big family. The hardest part of the job at the Chronicle was when they had to start making cuts and the family was broken up. The most enjoyable part was going there on a daily basis.
Pros
The Family atmosphere.
Excellent place to learn and grow
Sales (Current Employee) –  Grand RapidsJuly 13, 2015
Mlive Media Group is constantly looking for ways to grow and improve by developing solutions based on customer's needs.
Pros
Great pay, advancement opportunity
Awful on all accounts
Sales (Former Employee) –  farmington hillsMay 5, 2015
leadership is out of touch with work force. Sales pressure is tremendous. Sales goals or jobs can change on a whim without employee buy in or consultation.
No culture exists unless you're in Sr leadership.
Pros
Get technology to use
Cons
insurance costs so much it negates pay, entry level people make the same as experienced, goals are absurd
Productive and Innovative Company
Content Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 29, 2014
Working for Mlive Media Group is exciting and inspiring. The people here are full of fresh ideas. I love being challenged daily and given new perspective.
Fun but super high stress
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 14, 2014
In general this is a fantastic place to work. They have a great culture and environment. It is super high stress though. When I left there were at least four other people thinking of doing the same because everyone was afraid of getting fired all the time. They gave us large goals and high pressure to reach them.
Pros
free lunch on occasion, fun parties & events
Cons
high stress
Innovative and fun place to wok
Digital Media Sales Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 3, 2014
The local management and co-workers are great. I loved being able to step out of my comfort zone and bring new options to the local area.
Pretty nice place to work
Page Designer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 7, 2013
Considering that most newspapers are in a somewhat downward spiral the MLive Media Group seems to be holding still, the management will listen to concerns but there seems to be little room for advancement. It is a high pressure environment, but all newspapers are like that. The support you get from co-workers help make it a little easier though, just make sure you know the standard design as you will get thrown into everything right away.
Advertising/Marketing
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 24, 2013
Mlive Media Group is a good company for entry level digital advertising.
Changes are always occurring at Mlive Media Group
Account Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 6, 2013
I've worked with the company for 3.5 years and have watched the company struggle and thrive in the newspaper industry.
A great place to work
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 4, 2013
In the sales role, the typically day included prospecting, white boarding with leadership to determine best product mix for clients, proposal presentations and community committee's and events.

I have honed my digital media skill set since coming to work here. They have a great employee training program and there is a collaborative philosophy that allows you to learn from your peers as well.

The team is very diverse yet cohesive. Everyone works well together and they have a way of making work fun.

The hardest part of the job is pulling companies forward with their marketing strategies. Digital is the way of the future but most companies are still leery about how it works and how what they should do.

The best part is watching your client experience the 'AHA' moment when their campaign is performing.
Pros
lots of training, top technology, ability to work remotely with technology. ability to select additional pay instead of benefits.
Cons
open territory for prospecting, health benefits aren't the greatest.
Really missed an opportunity
Sales (Former Employee) –  DetroitNovember 30, 2012
Poor management, heavy pressure, and a rancid work culture make this place a really awful place to work. Highest employee turnover/dissatisfaction that I've ever seen.
Pros
grand rapids is probably a great place to work for mlive
Cons
no support, no team spirit, no leads, no motivation