MModal Employee Reviews

Great company with many perks
Application Syst Analyst/System Security Adm (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GADecember 20, 2016
Majority of the employees are virtual as the company is spread out over the US and oversees. It is a very fast pace work environment and requires quick thinking. All co-workers support one another with the ultimate goal to provide the best service to its customers. There are times were you will be required to work odd times but it is worth it in the end. It is important to be a team player and understand that we provide a service that affects patient care.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Work more than scheduled, no compensation
By far the Worst Place to work
Coder (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 2, 2017
This has been a nightmare. This company is horrible! I have been required to work every weekend, had every benefit stripped away, including PTO, have no job security, and after more than 2 years, have never gotten a raise, even with outstanding performance reviews.
This company should be ashamed at the way they treat their employees.
Pros
work from home
Cons
everything
Life as a transcriptionist has changed
Editor/transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNOctober 4, 2016
The hours were good. Up until the last supervisor, could flex a bit. TAT was good. There were conflicting messages from supervisor on logging on and off, which I believe affected my production. Did not like the sense that every keystroke was monitored. The flexibility in the last year disappeared, but could deal with that. The hardest part of the job was the dictators who do not realize that when they stop and have a 5 minute conversation or they keep changing their minds, it affected the person transcribing their dictation. ESL doctors were not a real problem. The poor sound quality was. The most enjoyable time would be when I would get a string of clear speaking, organized dictators who realized that some of the names they could not even pronounce correctly would need to be spelled out. Loved some of the doctors, hated others. As for management, I do not think that they understand what the real problem with production and quality is. The dictators had a huge effect on my production always.
Pros
Interesting cases, always had work.
Cons
No raise, but ever increasing qualifiers on production and quality, never could figure out when we were supposed to break, conflicting messages about protocol.
Don't unless you have to
Home-based healthcare documentation specialist (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNAugust 4, 2016
This used to be a very good company to work for, but has gone steadily downhill. They expect a near impossible 99.6% accuracy rate (I was put on review for 99.4) while constantly giving you accounts you are unfamiliar with, each that have different account specifics which have to be read which lower production. They have also flat out said that they will not give raises, no matter how long the employee has been there. We were told if you want more money, type faster. Also, there are frequent out of work issues interspersed with wanting overtime. Frequently required to change scheduled work hours.
Pros
Work from home, decent, if expensive, insurance.
Cons
Unrealistic standards.
I see nothing has changed since I quit 2 years ago...
Tier II Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  TenneseeJuly 26, 2016
I worked for this company for 8 years. Started out as MedQuist and I made the most money working for them ($42,000/year!) They were bought out by M*Modal and things went downhill quick. I worked the 11 pm to 7 am shift. Editing voice recognition reports took waaay too long (as compared to straight verbal from the docs) and the line compensation for editing was half. I could see the writing on the wall, the company was going bankrupt, promoting the India workers over US, and I quit.
I thought I would check to see how M*Modal was doing and, obviously, things have not changed. I would NOT recommend this company to anyone looking to do this type of work.
Pros
Working from home, they supplied the computer when I worked for MedQuist...
Cons
Compensation and available work not in keeping with high skill levels required.
Not supportive of their emplyees. No loyalty
Cpc (Current Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 22, 2016
I was told before I started working for this company that it was not a good place to work and that I have found that to be true. And they have since moved my job to their India Global support which even though it's the same company I consider it Outsourcing. The client i was working on with my team always said it was very pleased with us, yet MModal . The company does not support its employees, they are always throwing up new expectations which are unreasonable and taking away our benefits at the same time. Very disappointed with this company. I would not advise working for them if you want a long-term position and I was assured at

my initial interview that there was more than enough work to go around but I am constantly losing hours because there is not enough work. They require continuing education specifically foe the company, not related to keeping up yor certification, but you are supposed to do it on your own time. And this is stuff required
by the company to keep your job. I don't see how any of these things are conducive to a good and supportive working environment. Very disappointed. I have to say that my immediate supervisor is wonderful but I think her hands are tied by the company.
I loved working for Verde Valley Medical Center
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJune 14, 2016
A typical day at work included working hard at medical transcription, but also taking time to become friends with those in the department. My supervisor and other management were extremely competent and became my friends.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with people! Plus, I love medical transcription!
Pros
Wonderful staff and benefits.
Cons
None.
I should have listened more from friends
Health Document Specialist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNAugust 22, 2016
My friends saw the writing on the wall with this company several years ago. I hung in there after they left the company. I had some very wonderful managers and performance coaches. For some reason, this year things changed. I wasn't getting the audit scores that were required so was put on performance management. Manager said it would go away in 6 months. They want your audit score to be above 99.65% which is impossible and you are going to have good days and bad days. We are human and there will be mistakes. I have been with MedQuist/M*Modal company for 9 years and having to deal with a lot of stress, I have decided to quit. This will be a big heavy load off my shoulders.
Pros
Cons
Stay away
One of the worst
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  homeJanuary 8, 2017
I was new to medical transcription when I started working for them. It was a horrible experience. I was expected to be perfect, a perfect machine, not a human being. After resigning, UPS came, picked up the equipment, left me a receipt. Six months later, I received a threatening, certified letter from the company, demanding "return" of the equipment, lest they take legal action. Good thing I kept my "pick-up" receipt!!
Pros
Some added income
Cons
High stress, horrible, depressing experience.
Pleasant, supportive staff
Healthcare Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNDecember 12, 2016
Mmodal is a well-managed and supportive work environment that furnishes opportunities for advancement and all the interaction necessary to perform at one's best.
Pros
Supportive coaching and excellent reference guidance always available
Director of Customer Relations and Sales (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNDecember 15, 2016
I worked at M*Modal for 15 years. I had many different roles over those years and started at the bottom but with hard work and dedication continued to move up the ladder. M*Modal works with their employees to grow in their careers.
Horrible place to work, don't waste your time.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNOctober 13, 2015
This company took over the smaller company I was working for. They tell lies about pay, accounts and nearly everything else, nitpicked to death on every aspect of the job, and all of this for just barely more than minimum wage. This company is ruining what was once a great profession, turning it into sweatshop work with no appreciation ever given to the MT's, who bring in the money for the suits. No appreciation ever. No pay raises ever. Either out of work for weeks on end or mandatory overtime for weeks on end. Cesspool accounts, hardly any from regular accounts. Just know that they keep track of your every move and require you to punch out for bathroom breaks. I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy work here.
Pros
None except working from home so you don't have to see these jerks.
Cons
Literally everything.
Happy Place
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNFebruary 6, 2017
Wonderful work environment. Pleasant staff along with great training.
Get team building and employee appreciation. The payroll management is superb. Low wages is the only reason to relocate
Ten years experience as a medical transcriptionist/d
Senior Quality Analyst/medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2016
My day starts at 5 evening and ends by 2 midnight as a dusk shift employ. On a given day (preferable Tuesday due to the nature of my job), during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out – proactively – what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. My last job was an excellent learning opportunity and I developed my skills and experience in numerous different ways. When my employer introduced a new order management system which used Access they gave me the opportunity to undertake additional training so as to be able to work effectively with this. I was then able to put this training into practice on a day-to-day basis and I am now extremely adept at using the package. Co-workers are always an inspiration for me. The hardest part of job is getting stat jobs in a row with no time to move for a short break hours together. I enjoyable part of the job is the open and direct communication level. Moreover, I like the ability to learn new things and take on more responsibility. Everyone was in a constant state of growth.
Pros
Insurance, free lunches, etc
Cons
shortbreaks, healthcare
Editor (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMarch 11, 2016
Work culture is good and very helpful team leaders to help out to exposure of new accounts and managing work. There was good work timings and accounts as well as benefits and incentives.
Would Not Recommend
Healthcare Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNSeptember 22, 2016
I agree with every one of the negative remarks here as I have experienced them myself. These are not disgruntled employees, these are true and valuable lessons learned to advise of a most unpleasant, underpaid, stressful working environment. After many years, I was unexpectedly let go due to falling slightly below the stringent 99.65% accuracy limit. Not unfortunate, actually a blessing.
Pros
Cons
No time for breaks, 8 hours = keystrokes every second of 8 hours
One of the leading companies, decent employers
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  North Fort Myers, FLSeptember 10, 2015
I tried to work for this company just fresh out of college classes for transcription/editing, and they had a program for Full-Time that was for new graduates, but I feel like their requirements for production were way too high. My mother, who has worked for this company for over 30 years, had the same production requirement as I did when I was in their fresh graduate program? So that was the only thing I had issues with when it comes to this company, as it was nearly impossible to maintain that much when I was so new to the field. Otherwise, very caring and compassionate staff that tried their best to work with me.
Pros
Great benefits, lots of work available
Cons
Asking too much from fresh graduates
Fast-paced environment
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 23, 2017
Listening to different dialects was interesting. It was something different every day. The hardest part of the job was making sure it was being done correctly. I worked past "normal" working hours. I did not have any support.
Started off good 13 years ago, company has went downhill fast.
Healthcare Document Specialist (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 8, 2016
Asked to change schedule every year until you are forced to work nights and weekends. My pay has DROPPED 5 dollars an hour in the last 5 years with the new ASR technology. I could have typed the report faster myself than it takes to edit the document. Now, we are running out of work on a daily basis and we are required to work on our evenings/weekends off (with the only option being 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.) to get our hours in and when there is still no work they require us to take our vacation time to make up the hours in our shift. Unreasonable expectations for the situation we are put in. Management changes frequently, you are lucky to get an answer back to any question you may have. This company has taken our career field over to India with MModal's new facility housing 1200 new transcriptionists. If you value your time outside of work, then do not ever work for this company. They will nitpick at you and put very high expectations on you until you are drained and exhausted. It is time for a new job.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Too many to list.....read review.
Virtual employee with little to no direct communication with supervisor or others up the chain. Typically only hear from them if you make a mistake.
Virtual Medical Transcriptionist/Editor - Tier III (Current Employee) –  Watertown, WI (my home)May 11, 2016
Typical day includes 7.5 hours of medical editing for nationwide tertiary care hospitals as well as clinic work. Vast experience with hospital reports of all kinds. It's a learning experience almost every day, keeping abreast of new products, equipment and medications. I have no co-workers (except my dog who is always close by keeping me company). Not much communication with "management." Most enjoyable part of my job is learning, and working at home isn't all that bad either :-)
Pros
Working at home
Cons
Horrible pay; not like 10 years ago when I could make $50, 000 a year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MModal. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7