Mobile Infirmary Medical Center Employee Reviews

Fast-paced environment, production work with attention to details for 100 % accuracy
Medical Records Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 6, 2012
I have thoroughly enjoyed my employment with MIMC in the medical records dept. Actually, my husband was just fortunate to receive a job in his field of respiratory therapy in the Montgomery, AL area, and that is the ONLY reason I am leaving MIMC. I enjoy my job tremendously because every night is different. My hours are from 5:30 p.m. until 2:00 a.m., and I work with a great group of co-workers. We all work so well together because we know the task at hand. You have to keep the charts flowing in order for the coders to do their jobs so that insurance claims can be successfully processed. The goal every night in our department is to process every chart that we receive. We also work extremely well without supervision. That frees our supervisor to do her job more efficiently, and she is very good to us for that. The only hard part I can think of relating to my job is to always keep your concentration sharp. Some days you might be distracted and it might take a while to get your concentration going, but you have to because my job is all about attention to details with 100% accuracy. You are handling a person's permanent medical record. I take that very seriously. The most enjoyable part I can truly say is to see a patient discharged home who has been so sick but is now well and ready to go on with their lives. I always whisper a prayer for whomever when I hear a 'Code Blue' called. I work in an environment where life and death are entertined everyday. It has really taught me to appreciate life--just how precious it is.
Pros
flexibility with breaks, safe environment
Cons
none - i am very grateful for my job.
A fun place to work with many discounts
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 8, 2013
A typical day at work would be during the early morning hours an early morning collector (someone who starts at 2, 3, or 4 am) would be assigned floors. That collector could have anywhere between 15 and 40 patients to stick depending on the workload. These early morning collectors would have to have these labs drawns and resulted by 7 am when the doctors would take a look at the results and base their decisions on those levels. After 7 am the supervisor would keep track of how many labels would be on the board whether they were stats, urgents, or rountines. The management and co-workers were easy to work with in terms of helping you whenever you had a hardstick or if a patient refused to have their labs drawn. The hardest part of the job was sticking babies and children but it had to be done and the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I met while performing my duties.
Pros
employee discounts/payroll deductions for meals, uniforms, and gift shop purchases
Cons
short breaks and lunches (the cafeteria is too far away from the lab location).
Very enjoyable and fun place to work especially with the men in the department
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 4, 2013
A typical day at work would begin at 7am in the shop. Coffee was provided. You had a few minutes to gather your tools and work orders for the day and interact with the other craftsmen. I learned to be efficient with my paper work (work orders) and over time the many fine points of the job. Management was excellent and fair in their interaction with the employees. The bigest thing I miss is the many friends and my co-workers. Tipically, the hardest part of the job was getting access to the job site as many times it was occupied by patients or employees. You always had to take the inconvenience of everyone into account and accommodate them as much as possible before beginning work. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the employees and patients.
Pros
free lunches on special days, turkeys at christmas and excellent healthcare insurance
Cons
night work, weekend work, christmas work, etc.
If you want to be worked to death and not be appreciated this is the place for you
RN (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 13, 2013
I took exactly zero vacations in 5 years at this "hospital". The management could care less how you feel, your recommendations for improvement in the work place, or the patients. They are interested in making money. Period. They will do anything make the most money they can. 7 and sometimes 8 Pts to one RN on a cardiac unit is not an acceptable ratio. As soon as u try to take a vacation, question management, or look for another position elsewhere after you figure out they are a less than ideal facility, they will find a reason to fire you. Oh yeah, they're being sued by the federal government for 550+ million dollars in alleged Medicare fraud. Have fun with this one!
Pros
high salary initially. but only 2 tiny raises in 5 years :(
Cons
everything you can fathom
Do not care for their employees
Patient care technician (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 22, 2012
If the day is short of staff, some coworkers did not want you to take a break which is required by law because it was just too much work to be done and taking a 30-45min break only put you or them behind. I learned a lot of hands on skills which is a plus. Some of my coworkers would be a team player but mostly were not. The hardest part of the job was not able to grow with the company. The most part of my job was seeing the smile on the patients and coworkers faces after I did something to make their day.
Pros
i only had to work just 3 days a week
Cons
short breaks or no breaks, worked short handed most of the time and barely any teamwork, only a 2% raise for 4 years
Largest Medical facility in Region
Telemetry Monitor Technician (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 7, 2014
Telemetry Monitor Tech:
Review 20 (ICU Units) to 50 (Cardiac room) patients per shift. Report and Chart Cardiac arrhythmias.
Report Time of Death.

Management not supportive of non-registered employees.

Co-workers very supportive, maintains high level of integrity of department.

Hardest part of the job is lack of respect and support of management.

Most enjoyable part of job: interaction with patients; personal sense of growth in patient care.
Pros
heavy turnover- jobs usually available.
Cons
no breaks; broken/out-dated/lack of equipment;expensive medical coverage
Great co-workers...just wish I could say that about the management
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 16, 2014
I was originally hired at a position which did not require much work. By the time I left I was doing about 4 different people's work as well as mine. It just slowly gets added on especially small things that management should be doing but dont want to do. They pulled everyone's sick time and compensations before it was time to retire and a lot of the people working there should have retired long before but couldn't. Great place to use as a stepping stone, just don't plan on staying there for too long.
Great place to work.
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 24, 2015
A very good place to work. Loved my hours. Co-workers and family
was the best part of job. the hardest part was losing pt's that had been their a long time. Best part was seeing someone get better when all hope was gone.

I learned to let go of everyday stress at the end of a hard day.
To be there for my fellow co-workers during there times of need.
To be flexable with my hours and days of work. To enjoy life. Because you never know what the future holds for you.
Pros
great benifits.
Cons
sometimes too busy to stop and take lunch breaks.
Hospital- Great Campus- Tedious work
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 15, 2013
I was a Unit Secretary I loved this job I was young and the work was fast pace and it paid nicely. I work to keep the nursing station in order and thing the doctors or nurses needed they could come to the Unit Secretary, from ordering labs, filing reports in patient charts, inventory, helping with patients family, medical record filing, scanning, answering phones, ect.
Pros
nice benefits, great people at times
Cons
short lunch breaks- part of the jobs sometimes at a hospital, stressful at times
Great experience especially if you are interested in becoming a LPN or RN
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 19, 2012
I worked on the cardiac floor. Great experience. I loved every minute of it. Received a lot of insight of the daily tasks of being a registered nurse. The most rewarding part of my job was knowing that I was making a difference in my patients' lives, whether through constantly having a smile on my face, always having a positive attitude, through an uplifting conversation or just helping them with daily activities that we take for granted.

Want to know more about Mobile Infirmary Medical Center?

Ask a question
Good pay, poor concern for employee wellbeing
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 1, 2013
I made a little bit more poor hour while working at MIMC than I did at my previous job at a teaching hospital. The extra pay was not worth it. Nursing staff is treated horrible by MDs (cursing at nurses, treated nurses like they are stupid). My nurse manager never helped when we were shorthanded. Nurses hardly ever got a lunch since we were always understaffed and had complicated patients.
Pros
salary
Cons
poor management, overload of work
Advancing Enviroment
Outpatient Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 25, 2014
Making sure is the most important is the biggest part of our department. Everyday we are constantly learning about a new form that has been created within the company. The hardest part about this job if the system is not functioning properly it slows down the production which can cause a major set back. The most enjoyable part knowing that we have completed the task successfully without any errors
Pros
flexibility
Cons
short breaks
Distribution Breakdown
Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 3, 2014
Stocking medical supplies, distribution of medical supplies
Time management ,learned different types of medical tools and equipment
Cohesive teamwork environment
Not having the right supplies in stock
Ensuring that the right supplies reached the desired destination in an urgent fashion to best serve the patient
Pros
learned about different fields in the hospital i.e. nicu, micu
Cons
working through emergency situations
Pleasant Atmosphere
Nursing Service/Staffing Secretary (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 25, 2014
While I was employed at Mobile Infirmary Medical Center I enjoyed my time there. My supervisors were insightful, helpful, energetic, understanding, & were pleasant to work with. I also enjoyed other employees that I worked with. During the timeframe of being at work, the time passed quickly because I was always surrounded by friendly and helpful people that made my shift go by plesantly quick.
overall good experience
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Mobile, AlabamaApril 27, 2012
Every day is different-variety. Co-workers become your extended family. Was nice to not have a great deal of turnover.
Had a great break room/lounge. Often got to eat lunch as a group.
Hardest part of job was not replacing people as they left-created staff shortages which resulted in overtime.
Most enjoyable was the physicians we worked with. They became part of the extended family-great working relationships
Like high school again
CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 25, 2014
The work environment was very much like high school. If the team leader was unhappy with you, you were on your own in all aspect of the job. Even when help was needed for a patient's care. Unfortunately, no one in upper management are willing to hear that the team leader in this department was stealing time and working the system in every way she possibly could.
Cons
no lunches most days
great place to work, patients are great to work with, great co-workers and management
Diagnostic tech, Receptionist, Insurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mobile, alApril 30, 2014
sign in patients, collect insurance info. get orders from EMR from doctor for patient. file xrays, ekg, lab test, deal with doctors and management. the most enjoyable part of the job was the patients and seeing the smile on their faces.
Pros
free medical advice
Cons
micro management
Very Patient oriented Care
Registered Nurse- Telemetry (Current Employee) –  mobile alFebruary 22, 2013
I work on a telemetry floor and it is pretty fast paced. I enjoy taking care of patients. I love that aspect of nursing. The organization is very focused on patient centered care. The hardest part of the job is I feel that nurses should have no more than 5 patient so that care can be adequate for each patient.
Pros
doing what i love
Cons
having 6 or 7 patients
Best hospital in Mobile, Alabama.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 24, 2015
I loved the environment and my coworkers. This was my second home for 15 years. Very family oriented. I was able to experience many different areas of nursing without having to leave Infirmary Health Systems.
Pros
always evolving to stay relevant with constantly changing healthcare model.
Cons
high insurance premiums for part-time workers
Very high fast paced environment........
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Mobile, AlMay 8, 2013
Overall a good place to work, very fast. Can hardly get a full break without being interrupted. Pays better than all the other hospitals but haven't had a raise since I have been there. Food in new cafeteria is expensive and nasty.
Pros
flexibility with scheduling days off
Cons
holidays, weekends, no raises, lack of being able to take full break