MobiTV Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, friendly and fun workplace, lot of cool technologies
Sr. Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAOctober 15, 2015
I started working for MobiTV right after I completed my masters in Computer Science. I needed a friendly environment to work, also wanted to learn new technologies. MobiTV's distributed content management and delivery subsystem uses most up to date modern technologies and scales for thousands of customers. Hence, it gave an opportunity to learn these technologies and application. Its hosted solution gave an opportunity for me to get familiar with deployment and production.

Overall, people are very friendly, good work life balance and fun place to work. I would highly recommend MobiTV.
Pros
modern cutting edge technologies, scale out hosted architecture, friendly people, good work life balance
Sinking ship
Manager (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAOctober 7, 2015
Some good people, but out of money.
Sinking ship. So many layoffs and attrition, company not inking the big deals. 20 word minimum here? hmm, ok
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Sinking ship/out of money
Great work culture!
Lead Applications Support Engineer-NOC (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJuly 16, 2015
MobiTV really cares about their employee's and takes very good care to show it! They have various happy hour days in the lobby, culture days, and many other various company celebrations! I was introduced to various aspects of the network, operations, and QA. If you want to grow and learn, they really give the employee the opportunity to learn !
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAApril 30, 2015
Friendly environment
Not much technology to learn
Newly joining people are not getting proper updates about process and company policies
Pros
Easy interviews, Friendly environment
Cons
Recent lay offs
Good company with great culture
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CANovember 5, 2014
Had a summer internship with MobiTV in 2014. Great work/life balance and an interesting but not too overwhelming workload. Decent stocked kitchen, happy hours and supportive co-workers made working there a great experience.
Fun place to work, great collegues
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Emeryville CaSeptember 30, 2012
Web page development using HTML, CSS, Javascript. Good culture, had a chance to acquire many useful skills
Excellent startup with great core values for it's product and one that values it's employees.
Lead DBA/developer (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJanuary 3, 2013
My typical day would be to check the main databases via alerts and various tools. I would have many meeting for various projects and join the engineers for their scrums to assist with agile development projects. Engineering assistance would range from SQL tuning and optimization to a complete architecture on migrations from Oracle to Oracle, Oracle to postgres. Also dealing with new client systems, installing Oracle and new products, setting up and tuning Oracle, Mysql.

Solutions provided would be managed by me to delegate to the other dbas or engineers, for prod and QA envs. Documentation on JIRA for the solutions, such as QA refreshes, migrations, SQL deployment, database remediations etc.

Working with the other DBAs was enjoyable, I try to lead by example and whilst training DBAs one learns more as well.

Hardest part would be the managing of multiple components that relate to the database, many tomcat web servers and apps would need to be rolling restarted with high prod change docs to ensure changes were smoothly implemented. Also time frames to advise clients would need to be managed closely.

The most enjoyable part would be optimizing queries, as an example taking a query from not responding to 20 minutes to meet critical financial billing to our customers. Also introducing redesing and re architecting of databases and ensuring new databases are tuned and optimmized pre production as to pre empt possible problems with performance and eventual outages if ignored.
Pros
great people and a great atmosphere. the usual startup comforts also.
Cons
long hours due to a small team setup, and a changing team. this is to be expected in a startup.
Nice culture
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAOctober 25, 2014
My mentor was especially helpful and gave me guidance throughout the internship
Great people are working there
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJune 28, 2013
Great people are working there - always happy to help. Busy environment, like in any startup.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MobiTV. Our community is ready to answer.