ModCloth

ModCloth Employer Reviews

Disorganized company lacking correct guidance
Shipping Associate (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 12, 2014
4 day (must include either Sat or Sun), 10 hour shifts. Decent break schedule. Good benefits.

Hardest part was the large turnover rate, both permanent and temporary employees. Two large layoffs, but still bringing in new temps each week.

Best part was co-workers that made the dysfunction and monotony bearable.
Open workplace
Infrastructure Team Project Manager/Admin (Current Employee), Crafton, PAOctober 14, 2014
Pros: no dress code
Fun place to work, easy to get caught up with projects and throw off work/life balance. Young management, upbeat and open environment.
A positive start to the job ended in disappointment.
Customer Care (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches, bring dogs to work, parties
Cons: favoritism, unprofessional hr department, too causal, management not taken seriously
Great benefits, they cover everything and are dirt cheap. Unfortunately the great benefits mean they don't feel the need to pay a competitive wage. Good people- most everyone there below the management level were a blast to work with. Alot of people there are driven to succeed and truly want to be part of making ModCloth a better place to work. I've – more... never made as many friends at a job than I had there and know for a fact that I'll remain friends with most of them.

Working for a startup company is at first exciting due to the possibility of advancement with hard work and effort. Unfortunately it becomes clear after a while that it will only get you so far, and after that hard work goes unrewarded. Those that continue to advance are the ones who "play the game" and kiss the right peoples butts. I found myself towards the end of my employment working at an unreasonable pace because the hard work that earned me a lead position also led management to put unrealistic expectations on me. I watched others sit around watching youtube videos and goof off while I had my head down getting the tasks done that were essential to keep the company running.

As with most of the other reviews, I completely agree that one of the biggest problems is favoritism. The majority of the department managers at the FC have great resumes, but in fact do very little on a daily basis. This gives them time to BS with people the majority of the day. They start to make friends and pick their favorites. Those favorites are given free reign to goof off and have no fear of not meeting their job requirements. It is the worst work environment I've come across as far as cliquishness. It's so bad that most of the time it feels like high school. That's partly to be expected with such a young work force, but it's a consistent problem continues to be ignored.

Working in the Fulfillment center for so long led me to one big realization. The ownership places little value on the warehouse (shipping, receiving, etc). When one owner is the "tech guy" and the other is the "fashionista", there is no one to care about the blood and guts of the company. The FC is the one consistent part of the company. It's what brings in the merchandise and gets it to the customers. Ownership, however, invests all their time and resources into constantly overhauling their website and taking new approaches to what they are buying to put on the site. They over-invest in the creative and tech aspects while the people who put in the real work are overlooked, and that is why they continue to lose good people. The harder you work, the more you will go unappreciated.

I was recently one of 70 employees laid off. Instead of letting go the overpaid people who are making poor decisions and leading the company downhill, they let go the people who actually did their jobs and made the company better. The way they handled the layoffs couldn't have been any worse either. They held a company meeting right after lunch announcing the layoffs. They then asked everyone to go back to work for the next 2 hours and wait to hear from their managers if they were one of the unlucky few. They seriously expected everyone to just go back to work like nothing was wrong and wait to hear if they were getting axed? When they pulled us upstairs to give us the news, they could not have been colder and more unapologetic. As negative as my opinion of the company was prior to this, even I could not imagine these layoffs being handled so poorly. – less
Great Company
Intake/Data Entry (Former Employee), Crafton, PAOctober 19, 2013
Everything about this company is amazing. The company is constantly growing and new jobs are appearing, along with new salary options.
Hands on internship
Intern, International Strategy (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 16, 2013
Pros: free snacks and drinks, close to the ball park, fun people!
Cons: cute dogs can be distracting to working
Great place for an internship if you want to jump in and solve a real business issue. You are given a topic and resources and the freedom to explore. What you do next is up to you.
Able to accomplish real, implementable business solutions. Saw immediate results from my suggestions.

About ModCloth

ModCloth.com is a rip-roaringly innovative, rapidly growing e-tailer of vintage-inspired fashion and decor that’s out to – Read more