ModCloth Employee Reviews

Like getting paid to go to high school.
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 13, 2016
If you loved high school and all its cliques and drama B.S. then this place is for you. Everything from the terrible vice principle to the various subgroups of students. You better have school spirit or you can forget about advancing. Drink that kool-aid.
fun place, but with management maturity issues
Ops lead and Platform liaison (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 7, 2016
frequent reorgs, revolving door, mass firings. aside from that, pretty friendly and hip place to be. Also had a really interesting tech stack that beat similar shops because of close, expert technical scrutiny to nuances. When I left, this was being swapped out for commodity Linux build, so they may have lost their tech edge by now.
ModCloth Customer Care Advocate
Customer Care Advocate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2016
Being a ModCloth customer care advocate was great. Primarily because the entire atmosphere is phenomenal. Being a customer care advocate means answering phones, chats and emails from customer who have questions and complaints. As with any customer service position, it's not always pretty, but the employees there are awesome. Coming into work and being part of the team was the most amazing thing about this job. The job security is shoddy, then again I was hired seasonally. the hardest part of this job is keeping your cool with certain difficult customers. Beautiful office, spectacular team, I'll miss ModCloth dearly.
Pros
Work Environment, Work from home options, co-workers, open and honest managers, free Starbucks coffee!
Cons
I just wish I could have stayed longer
Tough but they truly take care of each employee
Order picker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 6, 2015
Hard work with high expectations but they really care about each person working there and really look out for you....The management checks on you to see how your making out and makes sure your progressing if not they come in to help you every step of the way. They refuse to let any employee struggle at the job.
Pros
stable full time work week
Cons
long shifts
Great team, perks don't outweigh company losses
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 27, 2015
The people at ModCloth are amazing, talented and hard working. Unfortunately, the company tends to only recognize these people in candy and cupcakes, not competitive compensation (tech team excluded).

Management could have done a better job recognizing wins and goals met. Had a very positive experience with ModCloth, loved my job and I do wish them the best in their harder times.
Pros
work-life balance, dogs, work from home opportuinities
Cons
not many raises, little job security
Easy, fun job.
Receiver/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 15, 2015
I worked from 8am-6pm counting , labeling, and inventoriing items, i had 4 breaks every 5 hours. Ive learn that in a warehouse everything is fast paced and it tends to go really fast which is a plus. The hardest part of the job was standing on my feet 10 hours 4 times a week 10 hours a day.
Pros
5 breaks, free food on wednesday, bus line, 4 days a week
Cons
10 hour shift
You don't want to work in shipping.
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 4, 2015
For all the glamor and jazz you're sold on working for a fun, quirky clothing company, shipping is where the fun goes to die. Shipping is the biggest, most entry level department, the backbone of the company, so expectations are as great as responsibilities are few. Meaning you perform menial tasks to the point of mindlessness, but your menial task is critical to the success of the company, and your management will not let you forget it. Hard work and dedication aren't respected, only your numbers, your numerical worth. Senior employees know this, and only strive for goal each day, and are heavily favored for doing so, no matter your own contributions. Also, sexism is inexplicably rampant there; if you're a female, you won't be put into physically demanding roles, no matter your own capabilities (despite qualifications for the job being equal for all). If you're a male, expect to do the dirty work and heavy lifting whenever necessary. This is shipping, where hypocrisy and favoritism runs wild, all for a very meager wage. On the plus side, what makes any of this even somewhat tolerable is you won't find a better grouping of coworkers to laugh and joke with. Laughter makes the tedium bearable. Otherwise, you'll leave like many do after a few short weeks.
Pros
three days off a week, easy work, shuttle service to and from job site to public transportation
Cons
4 day/10 hour shifts walking the equivalent of two full marathons a week, no structure for advancement, grunt labor, and treated as such
Disorganized company lacking correct guidance
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 12, 2014
4 day (must include either Sat or Sun), 10 hour shifts. Decent break schedule. Good benefits.

Hardest part was the large turnover rate, both permanent and temporary employees. Two large layoffs, but still bringing in new temps each week.

Best part was co-workers that made the dysfunction and monotony bearable.
Open workplace
Infrastructure Team Project Manager/Admin (Current Employee) –  Crafton, PAOctober 14, 2014
Fun place to work, easy to get caught up with projects and throw off work/life balance. Young management, upbeat and open environment.
Pros
no dress code
A positive start to the job ended in disappointment.
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2014
Great benefits, they cover everything and are dirt cheap. Unfortunately the great benefits mean they don't feel the need to pay a competitive wage. Good people- most everyone there below the management level were a blast to work with. Alot of people there are driven to succeed and truly want to be part of making ModCloth a better place to work. I've never made as many friends at a job than I had there and know for a fact that I'll remain friends with most of them.

Working for a startup company is at first exciting due to the possibility of advancement with hard work and effort. Unfortunately it becomes clear after a while that it will only get you so far, and after that hard work goes unrewarded. Those that continue to advance are the ones who "play the game" and kiss the right peoples butts. I found myself towards the end of my employment working at an unreasonable pace because the hard work that earned me a lead position also led management to put unrealistic expectations on me. I watched others sit around watching youtube videos and goof off while I had my head down getting the tasks done that were essential to keep the company running.

As with most of the other reviews, I completely agree that one of the biggest problems is favoritism. The majority of the department managers at the FC have great resumes, but in fact do very little on a daily basis. This gives them time to BS with people the majority of the day. They start to make friends and pick their favorites. Those favorites are given free reign to goof off and have no fear of not meeting their job requirements. It
  more... is the worst work environment I've come across as far as cliquishness. It's so bad that most of the time it feels like high school. That's partly to be expected with such a young work force, but it's a consistent problem continues to be ignored.

Working in the Fulfillment center for so long led me to one big realization. The ownership places little value on the warehouse (shipping, receiving, etc). When one owner is the "tech guy" and the other is the "fashionista", there is no one to care about the blood and guts of the company. The FC is the one consistent part of the company. It's what brings in the merchandise and gets it to the customers. Ownership, however, invests all their time and resources into constantly overhauling their website and taking new approaches to what they are buying to put on the site. They over-invest in the creative and tech aspects while the people who put in the real work are overlooked, and that is why they continue to lose good people. The harder you work, the more you will go unappreciated.

I was recently one of 70 employees laid off. Instead of letting go the overpaid people who are making poor decisions and leading the company downhill, they let go the people who actually did their jobs and made the company better. The way they handled the layoffs couldn't have been any worse either. They held a company meeting right after lunch announcing the layoffs. They then asked everyone to go back to work for the next 2 hours and wait to hear from their managers if they were one of the unlucky few. They seriously expected everyone to just go back to work like nothing was wrong and wait to hear if they were getting axed? When they pulled us upstairs to give us the news, they could not have been colder and more unapologetic. As negative as my opinion of the company was prior to this, even I could not imagine these layoffs being handled so poorly.
Pros
free lunches, bring dogs to work, parties
Cons
favoritism, unprofessional hr department, too causal, management not taken seriously
Great Company
Intake/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Crafton, PAOctober 19, 2013
Everything about this company is amazing. The company is constantly growing and new jobs are appearing, along with new salary options.
Hands on internship
Intern, International Strategy (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 16, 2013
Great place for an internship if you want to jump in and solve a real business issue. You are given a topic and resources and the freedom to explore. What you do next is up to you.
Able to accomplish real, implementable business solutions. Saw immediate results from my suggestions.
Pros
free snacks and drinks, close to the ball park, fun people!
Cons
cute dogs can be distracting to working

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ModCloth. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6