Modell's Sporting Goods

Modell's Sporting Goods Employer Reviews

Great work environment
Sales associate (Former Employee), Middletown, NYMarch 28, 2015
I learned what it meant to be responsible working at Modell's, my first job with friends. Management was full of great people who you had an actual relationship, you weren't just an employee.
Great work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Woodbridge, VAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Great hours, great work environment
A typical day would consist of greeting customers and walking throughout the store assisting customers with what they're looking for. If customers were lost then I would assist them to the items they're looking for
A nightmare.
Sales associate/cashier (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 23, 2015
Pros: you work with good people. it's easy to have a life outside of work.
Cons: no hours. low pay. poor management.
If I could quit now, I would. I can't wait to find another job. Managers in sweatshops care more about their employees then those at Modells.
Typical Retail Position
Footwear Department Manager (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 5, 2015
Pros: paid vacations
Cons: union healthcare
Main focus of the day is customer service. The company empowers their associates to do whatever we can to make the customer happy and satisfied.

Whenever there is some "down time", I process new freight (censoring product) and getting it out on the sales floor properly displayed and priced. As a department manager I am responsible for all recalls and transfers in my department, keeping the sales floor and stock room neat and organized, managing and training other associates and delegating work, etc. Every week I am responsible for looking up my weekly sales numbers and making call centers requests as needed.
A winning team driven to provide great customer services
Fitting room attendant/ Retail associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: great job for college students.
Cons: no cons
A great place to work lots of support from management and co-workers. I learned so much and really enjoyed being part of the team at Modell's.
Good working there everything was clean and there was always something to do.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 23, 2015
The job was close to my house and the co-workers were fun to work with is always fun to work in a fun environment. The only thing I didn't like was the pay.
A great starter job with high job security
Head Cashier (Current Employee), Paramus, NJFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, great coworkers
Cons: limited hours, low pay
A typical day at work involved receiving shipments and putting products out on the floor. Interacting with customers either helping process transactions or explaining product features and benefits. The hardest part of the job can be difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the work environment if you love sports this is a good place to work.
Stepping Stone to successful retail career
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER/OPERATIONS (Former Employee), United StatesFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: people, laid back environment, hot markets are fun and rewarding.
Cons: little room for advancement, home office uses it's really limited resources on the biggest volume stores, leaving the rest with an uphill battle.
Modell's has been great to me during the years i spent there. The day today work flow is predictable and easy to manage. There are set guidelines for every facet of the business and the District Management makes every effort to help grow your volume. I learned some of the more intricate workings of the big box retail environment: P & L, cost analysis, store setup and closing, and the inner workings of the home office dynamic. My management and coworkers were usually down to earth, and eager to be successful. Modell's has a good culture for having happy employees. Modell's gives you the opportunity to grow as an individual and learn the basic skills to compete in the retail world. That being said, the upper management and home office has limited time/money and must invest that on the top performers. There is a lot of opportunity in some of the smaller markets that is sadly missed.
Modell's Sporting Goods is all about team work.
Cashier (Current Employee), 4 Graham AvenueFebruary 7, 2015
If you aren't a team player Modell's is not the job for you. A day at Modell's is basically having fun and loving what you do of course your time at work is centered around the customers needs but its about having fun and loving the team you work with. Communication is key at Modell's Sporting Goods.
Excellent hiring process
Cashier and Sales Representative (Former Employee), Flushing, NYFebruary 5, 2015
When they want to hire you at Modell's, they let you know on the spot. This makes for a very good place to apply to. The place can be busy at times, which can cause some pressure.
Great place to start a career
Modell's office worker (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: many perks and great people to work with
Cons: needs suggestions box
Modell's is a great place to start a career. Much like the military, there are less and less opportunities as you go up the corporate ladder.
Easy going workplace
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: easy going
A typical day at Modells was very easy going. It wasn't much of a rush, but I learned how to get people what they need in a reasonable time. I had a great set of managers who always kept me busy. My co-workers were very helpful and friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job was closing, it was so fun. It seemed like everyone loosened up.
easy going, great managers
Footwear Department Manager (Former Employee), Manassas VaJanuary 20, 2015
working at modells was hard at times with the deadlines they would set on moves and such but it was a relaxed environment and a great place to work.
Great experience.
Sales Associate/ Head Cashier (Former Employee), Wakefield, MAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: free lunch, great pay.
Cons: stressful hours
Constant heavy lifting and rearranging of furniture. Owner is a great guy along with the other movers.
My first Job
Sales Associates (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 14, 2015
This my first job in the U.S. I gained my experience here about how to deal with customers and work hard to achieve good results.
fun and great
Sales associate (apparel) (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2015
it was an productive and fun workplace, i always had enegery and always felt safe.
stressful place
Sales Associate/ Receiving Manager (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: it is a job
Cons: not a potential career for anymore that wants more out of life
Everyday is very unexpected you never know if you are going to have more work on your hands because people frequently call out because they do not want to be their and the ones that come have to really pick up the slack. I learned the ins and outs of the business but it felt like it was just being used to have me be taken advantage of because their was no promotion opportunities and yet your still doing the advancement work. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with management negative feedback and pushing you harder without no reward behind it. the most enjoyable is the fellow co workers they was individuals that can relate and help you through the tough days with dealing with customers and managers.
Modells sporting goods
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Watchung, NJJanuary 1, 2015
Customer service, I gained stronger customer service skills and learned about sports
ok for teens
Footwear Department Manager (Former Employee), Media, PADecember 17, 2014
this job was held back in 1999. i cant give specific details but i can say that it was an overall nice place to work.
Modells
Sales/ Stock Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 26, 2014
If you love sports and sports apparel than you will love modells. Good discounts for those who like to shop and wear the brand for low prices. Management and pay vary. If you're looking for a job to pay a lot of bills , this may not be the job for you. its a good job to build the resume with

1 2 3 4 5

About Modell's Sporting Goods

MODELL'S SPORTING GOODS is the nation's largest family-owned sporting goods chain, operating stores throughout the Northeastern – Read more

Modell's Sporting Goods Photos