Modell's Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Started as a cashier, ended as a Buyer's assistant in corporate
Sales, Bookkeeper, Assistant to the Buyer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 15, 2017
No day was ever the same, but it was very fast paced. I interacted with vendors who supplied us with product. Answered phones, lots of paperwork. I learned how to use a computer, to how to estimate how many thousands of socks to order for all the stores. Great workplace, very family oriented.
This goes back many years.....I started when my kids went to school. I really enjoyed the retail store the most, there were a lot of advancement opportunities. I went from the floor, to the cash counter, was promoted to bookkeeper. I won several customer service awards. Mitchell Model would often visit the stores, so we had to be spot on. I considered becoming a department manager, but declined to take the opportunity to work at the corporate office in Manhattan.
Pros
Great culture, very fast paced, enjoyed all the coworkers
Cons
Often had to stay late, and travel to NYC difficult
Modells is a good place to work at
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 13, 2017
I never worked at modells before but i really want to work there. Itll be fun and the customer service will be great the people that comes in and out will be nice too
Coaching Manager
Coaching Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 11, 2017
I got to know Mitchel and Michael Modell very well and enjoyed working for the company until I realized that retail was not where wanted to be in life
Not a good company to work for.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJNovember 10, 2017
Poorly run organization from the top down. Owner doesn't care about anything but the almighty dollar. There is a clear lack of a culture within this company and I am surprised its still in business.
Pros
management benefits
Cons
to many to list
Great people but poor place to work.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shirley, NYNovember 10, 2017
I could not balance, life, school and work. Everyone was great but it couldn't work out. Pay was also not good compared to previous jobs and made the job not worth it.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
short breaks and low pay
Overall
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 10, 2017
Great management. Loved working there. Great coworkers. Everyone worked as a team and we excelled because of it. Work was fast paced but fun. Good company to work for if its your first job or you just want to work in a fun environment.
good enviornment
"Sales Associate" (Former Employee) –  Freeport, NYNovember 9, 2017
quick paced job. had to learn a lot of knowledge on all sorts of sports, different styles of shoes, and different type of material on clothing. it was a good enviornment
Good first job
Head Cashier/Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJNovember 9, 2017
Models is a job made for teenagers and students. It is not stressful and it is a good environment. You get 2 to 3 breaks depending on how many hours you work.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Little opportunity
Working for Modells
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 31, 2017
This job was the first retail job I worked. It was an eye opener for me, learned so many little things that I look at today like oh wow that's what I was doing. I worked in the footwear department and I loved it, I had the best co-worker show me the ropes of how the stockroom works and how to arrange shoes by style number, size, and color. My co-workers worked as a team as well and I loved it.
Pros
My co-workers we awesome
Cons
The store manager was mean but she was transferred
fun work place
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Centereach, NYOctober 31, 2017
My days working here were fun and an enjoyable work place. I learned a lot of customer service techniques here. The people working here were respectful and greeting. The hardest part of this job was the lines when we had to ring super fast.
Great Teamwork
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2017
Overall, it was an ok place to work. They're flexible with hours if you go to school at the same time, However, they do not give enough hours and coming home with $100 is not enough. It's like any retail job, folding clothes and making yourself look busy.
I loved my job I love working with my associates
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2017
I would have never left but under certain circumstances I had to. Department heads were disrespectful made it hard to work in that environment . I enjoy doing my job plus I also volunteered for working in the stores and I decorated the office on holidays
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Summer youth
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 26, 2017
Well managed . I wasn’t there for that long I was cleaning the floors . Making sure the stock was complete so the shoes can go on display . I learned that you have to put things in order .
temporary job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 26, 2017
Modells was an alright job, it was just always hot in the store, the air conditioning was always broken, it got boring most of the time. mostly the managers wouldnt help you even if you asked multiple times they would be in the office all day doing nothing
Pros
lunch
Cons
break
good place to start working
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2017
teaches time management. perfect one on one interactions with customers and teaches you to deal with each person in their own way. great place to work on a team.
Pros
always hireing
Cons
not enough hours
Good first job or sports enthusiast job
Sporting Goods Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 25, 2017
Usually filled with stocking, receiving freight, organizing Sporting goods and Bringing items to register for customers.
I learned about plenty of sports equipment and technology and a bit of managerial experience.
I had no personal manager in Sporting goods for the last 8 months of my employment there but the other department managers were very helpful and supportive
It was a location in center city so we interacted with many different people and many different people came and went as co-workers. very relaxed conversation friendly environment. Hardest part of my job was working Sporting Goods solo with no manager. Had to learn everything on my own. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around such amusing sports equipment and getting them at a great discount.
Pros
Very interesting environment. multi-cultural environment and enjoyable workplace
Cons
Center city brought plenty of thieves and troublemakers.
Great Place to Work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2017
Awesome ! place to work management was great and I learned a lot on a daily basis.
Upper Management were great.
enjoyable part of the job when the home teams won we came to together to take of our customers.
Productive work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYOctober 13, 2017
The Store itself, was a good location for me to travel to, and the co-workers their were nice, and it was fast-paced, during the seasonal times. there were no problems with the management and everyone worked well together with any problems.
retail
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYOctober 10, 2017
I dont really remember working there it was a long time ago, what i do remember was they really trained the employees well ang wanted everyone to learn as much as you can.
Pros
get busy
Cons
get busy
great place to work but no advancement no raises not enough help.
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 8, 2017
Work days can get very frustrating at times.
Customers comes first because they bring business into the building.
love the management team
Culture great mission statement
To satisfy every customer
Pay period
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Never enough help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Modell's Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8