Modell's Employee Reviews

Fun work enviorment with sports merchendise
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2017
A typical day entailed working in the stock room. I learned a lot, how to properly stock merchandise on shelves and putting correct price tags on merchandise.

Management was nice and co-workers were good to work with.

The hardest part of the job was having to stock a lot of merchandise. The most enjoyable part was a job well done.
Great Learning work place
Sales Associate (Paid Intern) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 26, 2016
A typical day at work was great ,I learn to be patient. The Management was okay ,my co-workers was the best they keep me on my feet when I don't understand a new task.the hardest part at model's was speaking a different language.The most enjoyable part was that I learn something new everyday.
it was quiet and enjoyable.
Maintenance / porter (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 7, 2016
while I was there I didn't get close to any one I was there to do my job.The management was okay,My co-workers was helpful when needed it wasn't any thing hard about the job.The best part was when it was time to go home.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
A friendly fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYJanuary 2, 2017
As a sales associate, I enjoy meeting different people and some familiar faces. My co-workers are always there to help whenever there are situations I cannot handle on my own. I've learned a lot as I asked my manager to assign me to different departments for experience. The tasks aren't hard but they're not so easy, either.
Pros
worker's discount on full sale merchandise
Cons
short breaks
Offers a wide array of divisions
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 28, 2016
Modells is your typical sports store, selling a wide variety of athletic wear, shoes, and work apparel. Overall the connections I made with my coworkers was substantial, and branched off into long term friendships outside of work. Unfortunately , as a part time employee the hours were almost full time and the store was always busy.These long hours every week did not bring in a lot of money either, and I often had to work nearly 30 hours a week just to make $200 after taxes. However, I enjoyed talking with my customers, and seeing the new faces, and building relationships with regular customers. My managers were pretty nice in the beginning but often down talked the employees heavily, making the work environment uncomfortable. The footwear was bad quality, often being returned after a day for rotting damage. Personally Modells just wasn't for me because sports and athletics is not more forte. I prefer to sell items and market sales that not only interest me but I can relate too.
Pros
Make new friends, learn to work under pressure
Cons
short breaks, little pay, dull environment
The job is very laid back most of the time, but can get extremely hectic. So be prepared!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJune 25, 2016
Receive your assigned area for the day. Then man that area for your time there by assisting customers with any problems or questions they may have regarding the merchandise in your particular section. You may freely roam your designated work area. You will have co-workers of very different personalities. This allows you to place certain associates in certain areas of the store to maximize productivity. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a rush of people or scrambling to reorganize the store because of a last minute district manager appearance. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet new people on a weekly basis.
Pros
Very good discounts on most merchndise
Cons
A lot of standing
Good Summer job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJuly 11, 2013
Your typical day would begin with you entering the building lock all of your belongings in the locker and proceed to clock in. Depending on your department of either footwear or cashier, you would either sign in on a register or work and assist customers in footwear. Your day would not be hard or challenging at all, generally you have nice customers and your associates are all cool people to be around. This job teaches a lot of patience, management often misinforms you on situations in order to cover for themselves, they often do not take responsibility for their actions and are immature. The hardest part would just be the patience you would have to have dealing with the company, in the early months of me working for the company about 8 months into the job, it was enjoyable and easy to deal with. The most enjoyable part would be the customers you dealt with, and how relaxed the work place could be.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, friendly customers and associates
Cons
Not much opportunity for promotions or raises, unprofessional management.
Supervisor/ head cashier/ cashier experience
Head Cashier/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2016
My typical work day consisted of pretty much being the second eyes and ears when the managers weren't present. Giving orders, zoning associates, scheduling breaks, answering questions for other associates that the managers would answer. Being there I have learned that every single person is going to react differently in certain situations. Whereas I would normally think "oh, this is how you should react", for example... a customer sees an item on sale online but its not on sale in-store. Lets say the customer tends to get irate, me being the person that I am, I quickly try to diffuse the situation but the customer still choose to be difficult. When i would think that since I was calm that the customer would be calm as well, nope I was wrong. Management there differed because I dealt with three different managers while i was there, my co-workers as well. They came and gone so I pretty much adapted the best way I knew how to. The hardest part about the job I would say was balancing different personalities. It showed me that I can cope in any giving situation. It also made me feel like my acting skills where being tested. Just channeling my inner selves that I didn't know existed. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people. It was fun helping the customers and teaching them things as well, as far as the product goes. I learned that a little bit goes a long way, for instance, a smile can make a big difference.
Pros
meeting celebrities, different events, giving back
Cons
short breaks
Friendly environment based on teamwork
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Media, PADecember 9, 2015
The actual people that work at Modell's are great; management and employees. However, the benefits are not that great. They do promote from within the company, so that is a plus.
Well-staffed w/ knowlegable crew.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Watchung, NJMarch 30, 2015
Uptempo and challenging every day! Reacting to trends, customers, new products, and sales information shaped what we did consistently. Training was basically an outline w/ augmenting done w/ real-world experiences.Management was fair. Compensation was good, as were the benefits. 5 day work-week, w/ a balance of opening and closing shifts,
Pros
schedule flexibility.
Cons
no time-off at Christmas to visit family.
Sporting goods
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Corona, NYDecember 11, 2015
the team work is great. everything is cooperative, well functioned. good organization. management is great . Modells is a great shopping store.
It was okay
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2016
You deal with a lot of different people, most customers are nice people and easy to speak to but there's some customers that tend to get under your skin with dumb questions and obvious observations. Customers would also be tedious but for the most part i actually enjoyed working for the people. There were customers that made my job really good but there were some that made me want to burn the red modell's shirt.
Pros
Co Workers
Cons
Everything Else
Good first job for any teenager
Assist in the opening and closing (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MdMay 6, 2013
A typical day at Modell's Sporting Goods envolved helping customers find what they came in looking for, or even using certain tactics to get them to buy something that's on sell or your item of the week. I learned how to be friendly to customers, how to handle rude or unreasonable customers, how to deal with customers and your co-workers in a professional manner. The hardest part of my job was dealing with management and the drama with them. The most enjoyable part of my job at Modell's was learning everyday to be a better sales associate
Pros
fun enviorment
Cons
management
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2015
My experience working at Modell's is good. Co-worker was nice.They thought me a lot about Modell's.Modell's carries a fairly decent variety of Under Armour gear. Beyond that, they carry all the normal sports/sweat brands: NIKE, ADIDAS, etc. Selection is pretty normal, nothing too deep. No specialist gear. Very mainstream for casual people that loves the gym. Sneaker shopping for runners can be awesome because a lot of off season sneakers get discounted pretty quickly.
fun work place
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMarch 29, 2012
a great place for company advancements.fun and fast paste
great for building customer relationships and getting to learn different business plans for company profit and sales
Fun work enviorment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2012
I learned most of my customer service experience here, it was a very comfortable n fun place to work Great management and lovely associates
not enough opportunity
Head Cashier, Footwear (Current Employee) –  Cinnaminson, NJMay 6, 2014
I was for more career advancement and not that much offered to me
Short term position, fun co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYFebruary 8, 2013
Stocking, greeting customers and doing cashier duties
Management was poor. Couldn't ever keep employees; new ones every 3 months. No direction.
N/a
Warehouse, Inventory and Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2014
I've learned a whole lot when I first started working at retail , I've learned how to work under pressure , how to channel the customers emotions like anger for example. Not only did I learn for my bosses and co-workers but also learned from the customers. The customers helped me shine the most by sharing their experiences , educating me about the merchandise and that right their alone just helps me serve the customers a whole lot better. I believe if u talk to a customer properly and confidently then their shouldn't be any problems. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is when you're doing most of the work and most of the co-workers are doing half effort or call out on u on a busy day.. and that forces u to worry more and deal with more responsibility but in the end I take it as a learning experience because we all have to learn how handle situations like that. The most enjoyable part of any job would be the co-workers and even the bosses. Not all of them are cool for whatever reason but their must be some level of respect.. we must always be professional no matter if u love or hate you're co-workers. Mostly though I never had any issues with my bosses or co-workers because I always had a smile on my face. :)
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Modell's
Footwear Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJAugust 5, 2015
This place was fun to work at, the typical punch in, do your job and go home. The break room could have been a bit nicer but hey just being nit picky here.
Pros
fun work place
Cons
feet gross me out

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Modell's. Our community is ready to answer.