Modell's Employee Reviews

Seasonal and Dissapointing
Employee (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 14, 2017
I had no problem with the work but I couldn't get more hours and the pay wasn't worth the job. Great atmosphere but no payoff. I'd recommend the job to a friend if it wasn't temporary.
Pros
Knowledge, People Skills, Close to Home
Cons
Bad pay, Low Hours
Employee discount is very low, and the management needs improvement
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 30, 2017
The employee discount for model's is kind of low compared to other retail stores. The management was unorganized and really never communicated with their employees.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lack of communication
Job environment.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 15, 2017
Modell's is not a bad place to work at at all. But the management can be a little better far as giving more hours and hearing out the employee's that need SPECIFIC days off. I don't like how we have to clock out for every time we go on a 15 minute break and a 30... I love the fact that we get paid $Weekly :).
Pros
weekly pay, discounts
Cons
short breaks, rude customers
Big staff
Key person (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 1, 2017
Many ways to expend your skills. Motivation from coworkers. Apportunity to grown within the company.meet great people's. Have fun while working. Good hours
Pros
Rewards point
Associate in the footwear department (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2017
I really liked working at Modells because it was in my old neighborhood so I adapted easliy. Also I got to meet knew people and had to interact withb the customers.
Generally an OK place to work, not great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2017
Modells was a job which required you to be mentally awake but only just. Your pay was quite bad and most people there worked according to how they were paid. The hardest part of this job was dealing with angry or demanding customers. The easy part is when you are stuck in a department where there is very little foot traffic. The people on the sales floor, i.e. not managers or anyone in a position of power, were generally fun people to work with. The managers were for the most part ok.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Managers being a pain
family atmosphere but can be stressful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2017
coworkers was kind and polite. they will be there for you and will become your friend. mangers only think about they self and think you are beneath them.
productive
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 23, 2017
i worked mostly on the register, but at slow days i would assist some of the team members with customer service or fixing the sales floor, we had our busy days and slow days, the customers there were cool, very professional, and so was the staff loved working their as a team, and meeting sale goals
Pros
i loved the employee uniforms
Cons
no problem
Great Job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 17, 2017
Great part time job with excellent benefits. Management cares about employees very much as well as do a great job of establishing efficient and professional yet comfortable work culture.
Fun work enviorment with sports merchendise
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2017
A typical day entailed working in the stock room. I learned a lot, how to properly stock merchandise on shelves and putting correct price tags on merchandise.

Management was nice and co-workers were good to work with.

The hardest part of the job was having to stock a lot of merchandise. The most enjoyable part was a job well done.
A friendly fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYJanuary 2, 2017
As a sales associate, I enjoy meeting different people and some familiar faces. My co-workers are always there to help whenever there are situations I cannot handle on my own. I've learned a lot as I asked my manager to assign me to different departments for experience. The tasks aren't hard but they're not so easy, either.
Pros
worker's discount on full sale merchandise
Cons
short breaks
Great Learning work place
Sales Associate (Paid Intern) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 26, 2016
A typical day at work was great ,I learn to be patient. The Management was okay ,my co-workers was the best they keep me on my feet when I don't understand a new task.the hardest part at model's was speaking a different language.The most enjoyable part was that I learn something new everyday.
it was quiet and enjoyable.
Maintenance / porter (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 7, 2016
while I was there I didn't get close to any one I was there to do my job.The management was okay,My co-workers was helpful when needed it wasn't any thing hard about the job.The best part was when it was time to go home.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
The job is very laid back most of the time, but can get extremely hectic. So be prepared!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJune 25, 2016
Receive your assigned area for the day. Then man that area for your time there by assisting customers with any problems or questions they may have regarding the merchandise in your particular section. You may freely roam your designated work area. You will have co-workers of very different personalities. This allows you to place certain associates in certain areas of the store to maximize productivity. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a rush of people or scrambling to reorganize the store because of a last minute district manager appearance. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet new people on a weekly basis.
Pros
Very good discounts on most merchndise
Cons
A lot of standing
Offers a wide array of divisions
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 28, 2016
Modells is your typical sports store, selling a wide variety of athletic wear, shoes, and work apparel. Overall the connections I made with my coworkers was substantial, and branched off into long term friendships outside of work. Unfortunately , as a part time employee the hours were almost full time and the store was always busy.These long hours every week did not bring in a lot of money either, and I often had to work nearly 30 hours a week just to make $200 after taxes. However, I enjoyed talking with my customers, and seeing the new faces, and building relationships with regular customers. My managers were pretty nice in the beginning but often down talked the employees heavily, making the work environment uncomfortable. The footwear was bad quality, often being returned after a day for rotting damage. Personally Modells just wasn't for me because sports and athletics is not more forte. I prefer to sell items and market sales that not only interest me but I can relate too.
Pros
Make new friends, learn to work under pressure
Cons
short breaks, little pay, dull environment
Supervisor/ head cashier/ cashier experience
Head Cashier/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2016
My typical work day consisted of pretty much being the second eyes and ears when the managers weren't present. Giving orders, zoning associates, scheduling breaks, answering questions for other associates that the managers would answer. Being there I have learned that every single person is going to react differently in certain situations. Whereas I would normally think "oh, this is how you should react", for example... a customer sees an item on sale online but its not on sale in-store. Lets say the customer tends to get irate, me being the person that I am, I quickly try to diffuse the situation but the customer still choose to be difficult. When i would think that since I was calm that the customer would be calm as well, nope I was wrong. Management there differed because I dealt with three different managers while i was there, my co-workers as well. They came and gone so I pretty much adapted the best way I knew how to. The hardest part about the job I would say was balancing different personalities. It showed me that I can cope in any giving situation. It also made me feel like my acting skills where being tested. Just channeling my inner selves that I didn't know existed. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people. It was fun helping the customers and teaching them things as well, as far as the product goes. I learned that a little bit goes a long way, for instance, a smile can make a big difference.
Pros
meeting celebrities, different events, giving back
Cons
short breaks
It was okay
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2016
You deal with a lot of different people, most customers are nice people and easy to speak to but there's some customers that tend to get under your skin with dumb questions and obvious observations. Customers would also be tedious but for the most part i actually enjoyed working for the people. There were customers that made my job really good but there were some that made me want to burn the red modell's shirt.
Pros
Co Workers
Cons
Everything Else
Sporting goods
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Corona, NYDecember 11, 2015
the team work is great. everything is cooperative, well functioned. good organization. management is great . Modells is a great shopping store.
Friendly environment based on teamwork
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Media, PADecember 9, 2015
The actual people that work at Modell's are great; management and employees. However, the benefits are not that great. They do promote from within the company, so that is a plus.
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2015
My experience working at Modell's is good. Co-worker was nice.They thought me a lot about Modell's.Modell's carries a fairly decent variety of Under Armour gear. Beyond that, they carry all the normal sports/sweat brands: NIKE, ADIDAS, etc. Selection is pretty normal, nothing too deep. No specialist gear. Very mainstream for casual people that loves the gym. Sneaker shopping for runners can be awesome because a lot of off season sneakers get discounted pretty quickly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Modell's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9