Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI)

Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI) Employee Reviews in United States

Great employee culture!
Business Development (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 26, 2016
From the start, it is obvious that this company cares about its employees. Everyone is extremely friendly and very welcoming and do their best to make you feel like you're a part of the team. The compensation and benefits package is definitely reasonable considering the market and industry.
Pros
Competitive compensation and benefits; amazing culture
Best Place to Work
Information System Security Officer (ISSO) (Current Employee) –  Redstone Arsenal, ALOctober 7, 2015
Just check the Best Places to Work in Huntsville list, provided by the chamber of commerce, and you will see how often MTSI's employees have voted their company #1. It's pretty impressive to see that track record for a company that continues to grow at exponential rates.
Cares about Their Employees
Modeling and Simulation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Redstone Arsenal, ALNovember 5, 2015
This company's first core value is Employees come first. They challenge all managers to live by that rule. They will invest in the continual expansion of their employees. This is a great place to work.
Great Comipany and Great Benefits
MDA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 1, 2015
Great company and even better benefits. The work culture is great and pay is consistent with other similar companies. I would recommend this company to a friend.
A friendly company
Requirements Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VirginiaJuly 8, 2015
A small company that prides itself on promoting a family friendly environment and strict fidelity to company ethics. However, the employee may be on his own when dealing with the customer and issues.
Pros
A nice friendly company
Cons
Stingy when accommodating the employee
Group parties and milestone events were fun
Deputy Engineering Team Lead for MDA (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 5, 2015
Focused on getting good people, but not necessarily keeping them

Glorified job shop, not interested in transitioning people to other programs
Pros
Parties
Cons
limited depth in programs
Great company to work for
Architecture Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 12, 2015
Award winning company that values employee input. Top notch management. Great benefits. Manager is easy to work for. Great mentor, allows flexibility in work schedule. Strong team environment.
Pros
Employee Recognition
Cons
Lack of funding on small task orders
Good place to work, if the contract lasts.
Senior Engineer/Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 30, 2015
I enjoyed working for MTSI and would have liked to have stayed longer, but the contract ended and there was no other place to go as a follow-on. Such is the life of a defense contractor. Senior management talks about the employees as being the number one resource and the most important part of the business... you'd think they'd figure out a way to keep them if they were so important. When I left I took a few resumes with me from co-workers, so that might be a clue.
Pros
Good lines of communication
Cons
Short on career planning; when the contract ends you're gone; keep your resume up to date.
Productive streamlined team
Material Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kermit, TXApril 27, 2015
I was overwhelmed with work 99% of the time although i enjoyed the people i worked with the workload was entirely too much.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No time off, had to skip several lunch breaks and work unscheduled overtime on a daily basis

Comment – November 5, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, however, we don't have operations in Kermit, TX and the work you describe doesn't seem to match our company's operations.

Employee owned company with potential, but lacking excellent management
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 3, 2015
An employee owned company with potential, but lacking the proper management structure to help employees further their career. Multiple management and staff changes over the past year have made it difficult to give the company an outstanding rating.
Systems Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OhioApril 3, 2015
The people here are really nice, but training on the job is lacking. Atmosphere is easy-going, but things in the office can get pretty quiet.
Pros
people, snacks/drinks, laid back environment
Cons
lack of training, work comes and goes
Good Place to work for other department but not Accounting Department
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 25, 2013
The company benefit is good. There is an opportunity for advancement (training, tuition reimbursement). There was lack communication in Accounting Department. The accounting department had a bad management. It was overstaffed.
Pros
good benefits (health, 401k, tuition aid ...)
Cons
bad management in accounting department
Value centered company
Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 12, 2015
MTSI has developed a set of corporate values and standards that elevate personal performance.

Focus is on employees and providing exceptional customer support.
Systems Engineer
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 19, 2013
Provided Systems Engineering on Condition Based Maintenance Program for Army Helicopters through the AMCOM Express Contract
Great place to work.
Systems Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 29, 2013
Absolute great place to work. Great benefits and lots of room for advancement.
Challenging yet sometimes rewarding
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 3, 2012
A typical day at work can be challenging at times. There can be many interuptions at times, so I have developed good multi-tasking skills and definiltely how to set priorities and meet deadlines. There are times when I am doing 3 jobs at once..For example, we could be in the middle of invoicing, meeting our deadline to get them all done and posted, and in the middle of this, I need to get A/R and unbilled data ready for each of our groups(there are about 10) PMR meetings for the month and then on top of that there could be emails that I need to respond to or sometimes contract administrators will send me emails that a customer needs to know the amount that we can deobligate that day. So to sum it up, every day is a challenge but rewarding at the same time.
Co-workers seem to take advantage of our flexibility and miss a lot of work leaving me and others to do their jobs while they are out of work. Some of them can have an attitiude if you try and ask them for information that you may need to complete a task.
The hardest part of my job is trying to reconcile the unbilled recievables. We recently converted from GCS to Cost Point and we are still trying to figure out how to accomplish this in Cost Point, so this has definitely been a challenge.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am/was able to complete a task from start to finish without any interruptions, but that has been a rare occassion lately.
Pros
flexiblity, benefits, recognition of accomplishments
Cons
high turnover, short staffed, change in management, disorganized, no structure