MODESTO CITY SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Tthis is a good company to work for
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 23, 2015
plenty of work and plenty time off, not sure of compensation/ benefits are ok $400 toward insurance, The job is secure, as long as vehicle codes are followed. The management is under construction and needs some tweeking.
Pros
dealing with students
Great Job, work with children to learn new things everyday!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 18, 2014
Everyday was fun, get to meet new people and show them the wonders of learning.
Management is nice and friendly.
Co-workers are normally just as enthusiastic as I am to work with children everyday.
Hardest part of the job is not having my own classroom to go back to the next day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with children and seeing them learning new things and their excitement when they figure something new out.
Pros
great learning environments and wonderous people to work with.
Cons
no benefits
Interesting work place, fast paced with a mixed culture
yard supervisor (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 15, 2015
A typical day at work would be getting to work grabbing a talkie to be able to communicate with co-workers and other staff members. Monitor children and tend to them when need be. Answer any questions a parent or other staff member has. Be very alert, friendly and informative. Management is lacking on the end of our security with rude or dangerous parts and students, and lacks filling us in with information we were supposed to be told. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with the dangerous and rude parents and students, because we don't want to get hit. The most enjoyable part of the job I being able to help the students and make them feel safe and being able to build connections with other staff.
Pros
holidays
Cons
short breaks, not enough pay
It's an adventure
Para Educator Substitute (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 7, 2015
You're either going to meet people you like or people who don;t like you I'd advise keeping quiet and doing your job. Thats the best way to go.
Pros
AS A SUB YOU ARE NEVER WITHOUT WORK
Cons
THE PAY, Jobs can get cancelled
Working with students
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 8, 2015
Just working with students and helping the teachers out with the activities. Also, watching them play games in the classroom.
Modesto City Schools is fair.
Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 14, 2015
Modesto City Schools (MCS) is a big school district in California. There are various socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds of the many students. To service them, MCS uses the Language Institute, ALD (Acquisition Language Development) and specialized trained SDAIE programs. Standards are high with Common Core implemented in all classrooms.. A consistent, systematic approach of informal evaluations is conducted with regular walk-throughs by Admin/Staff Team.
Pros
Good IEP teams, helpful staffs, appreciative parents
Cons
Very Busy past two years
Job with variety of workplace
Teacher-Advanced Placement-College Preparation (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 2, 2015
I substitute taught. Variety of workplace. Little creativity as you are implementing other teacher's lesson plans. You can design your own work schedule.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No health care
A good collaborative environment, achieving success for the students to be on track for graduation.
Sub. Teacher, Test Proctor, Para prof. in Resource (Current Employee) –  various locations with four years at Downey HighJuly 20, 2015
As a substitute teacher since 1992, I have enjoyed the independence of working for the absent teacher, and implementing their curriculum. I also enforced a classroom management system, that allowed the respect from the students to stay on task in the classroom, while gaining the respect from other teachers and administrators. In 2007, I began my "after hours" as a volunteer tennis coach, and enjoyed working with the girls and the boys teams, sharing my experience and knowledge of the game. In 2010, I "switched hats" and began working in classified as a para professional in Resource, Special Education Department. I worked with a number of teachers to ensure our students success, and worked closely with either freshman status, to junior status, for their ability to be on track to graduation. During these years, I was a tutor for a program called AVID, and collaborated with small groups of students to increase their understanding of the discipline they worked on. I also served as an exam proctor for the district, to implement a variety of exams, such as CASHEE, PSAT, SAT, State Exams and the newer version called Smarter Balance. The administration from Downey High along with various schools, along with the district gave me many opportunities to serve our students, our staff, and work with the student's success and goals.
Pros
Working with a wonderful group of instructors
Cons
along with coaching tennis, I would have 12 hour days.
Fun and active environment
Food Attendant (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 16, 2012
A typical day at work was arriving and to just start cooking for the day. We had to prepare food to feed over 1000 students. We did cook several things because most of it went to the tray lunches which had to be within the nutrition guidelines. Then we had to prepare the food that we sold in the snack bar. Everyone including managment was a joy to work with. Everyone worked as a team to get everything done on time so all the students ate when it was time for their lunch break to start. The hardest part of the job was the cleanup because their were so many dishes and it took sometimes more than 2 hours to finish it all. It was very time consuming but we always got it done before we had to go home.
Review
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 19, 2015
I regularly managed students groups while teaching educational curriculum. There is little summer employment available through MCS but decent substitute teacher job availability during the year.
Fun and fast-paced
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 8, 2013
I usually work 7am - 3pm, just depends on the subject I'm teaching that day. I have learned how to deal with a diverse group of people, mastered my communications skills and time management.
Pros
being around the students
Cons
short breaks
Fast Paced enviroment
Nutritional Service I (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 12, 2012
High school Cafeteria enviroment. Prep of food, cashiering at snack bar, serving of 500 to 800 students daily on a A-line, clean-up of all kitchen ware. This is a great job how ever the hour, 2 to 4 hours a day, could not pay the bills. I still can go back to the job or apply to one in another county. Like the fast pace.
Pros
had to work as a team
Cons
not enough hours to pay gas and bills
Work as a team but work little hours and low pay.
YARD DUTY SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 23, 2013
I work with about 200 to 300 kids a hour and a half a day. I come in at lunch and go home after lunch and that the end of my day at the school.
Pros
work as a team.
Cons
not anought hours or days to pay my bill
Large, busy school district
Order supplies for patients and staff (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 25, 2014
Very large district in Central California. Ability to move up within the district. Different types of trainings and continued learning available to staff.
Pros
good pay
Cons
high insurance rates
Made a difference
Paraprofessional/Custodian/Lithographic Technician (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 5, 2014
I was happy to make a difference in the lives of children. I would never give up on making sure the children get the best education that they deserve.
Enjoy working with staff and students
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 26, 2014
I have worked for them several years..
Worked out perfectly when my children were young
Pros
summers off
Good place to work, lots of people interaction.
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 4, 2014
Modesto city schools, was an excellent place to work, the work environment was pleasant. I enjoyed meeting new people.
Really Fun Job
Substitute Nutrition Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Fun and rewarding working with students from PreK-12. Easy hours made it ideal for a student and to even hold a second job full or part time.
Good company to work for
Typist Clerk/Principal's Secretary/Library Asst. (Former Employee) –  Modesto CAJuly 28, 2013
Large school district, mostly great persons that worked their. Liked helping children of all ages.

MODESTO CITY SCHOOLS Reviews by Location