MoDOT Employee Reviews

The company is a great place to work for
Maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 9, 2017
I loved working for the state there were good people and bad people who worked there an the work place was nice the times that you were out you was working the highway cutting grass to asphalt patching
Pros
Was layed back
Cons
Sometimes no break depend on what was going on that day
Dangerous but needed
Hwy crew (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 23, 2017
It was something I signed up for for work experience. I went to work everyday not knowing what to expect but I did it to better my work experience and to get closer to my family and friends. I will not rate it positively nor will I rate it negatively. It was a job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Weather
Retired (Former Employee) –  Moberly, MOMay 17, 2017
I'm enjoying retirement but I get bored when not working. During the last five years prior to retirement, I held a supervisor position in highway maintenance performing customer service relations, parts deliveries and pick up.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
political cutbacks
Outstanding company with lots to offer
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOMarch 2, 2017
I would recommend this company to anyone. It payed well with great benifits and easy hours. It is a family oriented job. And the company is great to work for.
Pros
Benifits, work hours
Cons
Work 12 hour shifts plowing snow
I had to do the Modot job to move forward in life
Laborer/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Cameron, MODecember 27, 2016
Pros
I worked outdoors and had good co-employees
Cons
Rain and mud made it difficult.
Safe and productive.
Senior Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Salem, MODecember 14, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Roadway maintenance includes paving , mowing and snow plowing. Co- workers are willing to help when your in need. Weather conditions can sometimes be difficult to work in. Management is pretty flexible to work with. Equipment is maintained. I personally enjoyed snow plowing the most.
Pros
Alot of paid Holidays
Cons
Work in all weather conditions.
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MODecember 12, 2016
learned ins and outs of what it takes to b a civil engineer, management laid back and strict when it needed to be. hardest part of job was keeping busy when there weren't very many projects. Travelling to different job sites was most fun.
Pros
get off early
Cons
wake up early
Great place
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 14, 2016
Job security at its finest. Great people , lots of advancement available to anyone willing to work hard and prove themselves.
Miss my job
equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City MissouriOctober 26, 2016
I wish Modot would change some of the rules. Like for instance the second chance rule people are not perfect. But overall it's nice pagan job good benefits.
Good
Good
Great place
Senior Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOSeptember 21, 2016
Great people to work with every day and of different projects to work on and learned a lot from alot good people. Great benefits and it's like one big family most of the time.
great place
operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Odessa, MOSeptember 8, 2016
family oriented very good facilities and maintained equipment great people and easy hours as long as you can stand the elements
People, workers saftey comes 1st above all else
Driver/Equip-Oper (Current Employee) –  Cedar Hill, MOMay 14, 2016
Very good on the job training, with progression tracking and review including open door policy regarding any issue. Team environment with safety 1st and the right equipment for the right job.
Pros
training, work/life balance, management that cares.
Cons
pay
great family oriented company
cdl /snow plow operater/ maintence worker (Former Employee) –  Odessa, MOFebruary 29, 2016
loved working there with the people family oriented and all work together in a safety conscious way to make sure everyone goes home safe learned so much how to operate all sorts of heavy machinery and equipment safety procures ect.
great people to work for
Driver (Current Employee) –  Rolla, MOJanuary 13, 2016
I drive a snow plow for extra money and I enjoy working with everyone there. Everyone works together and works as a team. There is not 1 person that would not help you with anything you ask.
There is something different to do every day
Regional Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOOctober 29, 2015
You will meet the most diverse people working for MoDOT and the time you spend with the employees will make you friends for life
Pros
People you work with
Cons
The budget is running out of money
Enjoyable work place for the most part
Heavy Equipment Operator/Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Lee Summit, Mo.July 12, 2015
If u got quality help an equipment to achieve a job it was a great day.
If your help was somewhat skilled it to made for good day.
Liked working outdoors an that was 90% of it.
Pros
90% of all work was outdoors
Cons
Unskilled/Untrainable help that was hired
Working with a great group of people
Senior Project Clerk (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, MOJuly 7, 2015
I worked in an office of 24 men and I was the only woman. I really enjoyed working with them all and they all were kind and gentlemamnly. I loved my boss (resident engineer) and he was a joy to work for. When our area engineer moved into our office, he was a delight to work for too. When you work as long as I did with a group of people, they become your work family and you hurt when they hurt and you laugh when they laugh. The work was challenging and I enjoyed that.
Pros
People
Cons
Not enough people for the labor and too many upper management
Fast pace government agency providing excellent customer service to the tax payers of Missouri.
General Service Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2015
Employed for 30 years, provided employee development with career advancement. Communicates to management concerning Fleet, Facility and Procurement activities.Most challenging part of my job is to ensure 213 dump trucks are operational during winter events for the St Louis area and schedules 20 equipment technicians 24/7 during winter events. Most rewarding part of my job is providing employee recognition and employee promotions.
It was an experience that I sent most of my life at. I will never forgive the people I worked with !
Special maint.Superviser (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOMay 27, 2015
Working with good people, getting the job at hand done, a sense of a job well done.The hardest part of the day was, making the stripes on the highway as straight as possible,putting arrows and stop bars on the road and watching the drivers trying to understand what we are doing
Pros
A lot of holidays
Cons
plowing snow when you can barely see the road !
Nice place to work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 28, 2015
Enjoyed working here but the culture is to take your time and to work at your pace. I like a fast paced work culture and a exciting one. Not that this place is no good to work at. Its great. It just wasnt for me personally. The management was great and most of the employees and I got along great. Still have some friends that I worked with from here. This job was not difficult at all. Id say the hardest part was plowing snow for 12 hour shifts. The most enjoyable part was the people. Lots of great people work at MoDOT.
Pros
home early in the day
Cons
can be boring at times