MoDOT Employee Reviews

great place
operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Odessa, MOSeptember 8, 2016
family oriented very good facilities and maintained equipment great people and easy hours as long as you can stand the elements
People, workers saftey comes 1st above all else
Driver/Equip-Oper (Current Employee) –  Cedar Hill, MOMay 14, 2016
Very good on the job training, with progression tracking and review including open door policy regarding any issue. Team environment with safety 1st and the right equipment for the right job.
Pros
training, work/life balance, management that cares.
Cons
pay
great family oriented company
cdl /snow plow operater/ maintence worker (Former Employee) –  Odessa, MOFebruary 29, 2016
loved working there with the people family oriented and all work together in a safety conscious way to make sure everyone goes home safe learned so much how to operate all sorts of heavy machinery and equipment safety procures ect.
great people to work for
Driver (Current Employee) –  Rolla, MOJanuary 13, 2016
I drive a snow plow for extra money and I enjoy working with everyone there. Everyone works together and works as a team. There is not 1 person that would not help you with anything you ask.
There is something different to do every day
Regional Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOOctober 29, 2015
You will meet the most diverse people working for MoDOT and the time you spend with the employees will make you friends for life
Pros
People you work with
Cons
The budget is running out of money
Enjoyable work place for the most part
Heavy Equipment Operator/Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Lee Summit, Mo.July 12, 2015
If u got quality help an equipment to achieve a job it was a great day.
If your help was somewhat skilled it to made for good day.
Liked working outdoors an that was 90% of it.
Pros
90% of all work was outdoors
Cons
Unskilled/Untrainable help that was hired
Working with a great group of people
Senior Project Clerk (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, MOJuly 7, 2015
I worked in an office of 24 men and I was the only woman. I really enjoyed working with them all and they all were kind and gentlemamnly. I loved my boss (resident engineer) and he was a joy to work for. When our area engineer moved into our office, he was a delight to work for too. When you work as long as I did with a group of people, they become your work family and you hurt when they hurt and you laugh when they laugh. The work was challenging and I enjoyed that.
Pros
People
Cons
Not enough people for the labor and too many upper management
Fast pace government agency providing excellent customer service to the tax payers of Missouri.
General Service Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2015
Employed for 30 years, provided employee development with career advancement. Communicates to management concerning Fleet, Facility and Procurement activities.Most challenging part of my job is to ensure 213 dump trucks are operational during winter events for the St Louis area and schedules 20 equipment technicians 24/7 during winter events. Most rewarding part of my job is providing employee recognition and employee promotions.
It was an experience that I sent most of my life at. I will never forgive the people I worked with !
Special maint.Superviser (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOMay 27, 2015
Working with good people, getting the job at hand done, a sense of a job well done.The hardest part of the day was, making the stripes on the highway as straight as possible,putting arrows and stop bars on the road and watching the drivers trying to understand what we are doing
Pros
A lot of holidays
Cons
plowing snow when you can barely see the road !
Nice place to work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 28, 2015
Enjoyed working here but the culture is to take your time and to work at your pace. I like a fast paced work culture and a exciting one. Not that this place is no good to work at. Its great. It just wasnt for me personally. The management was great and most of the employees and I got along great. Still have some friends that I worked with from here. This job was not difficult at all. Id say the hardest part was plowing snow for 12 hour shifts. The most enjoyable part was the people. Lots of great people work at MoDOT.
Pros
home early in the day
Cons
can be boring at times
Modot
highway repair (Former Employee) –  florissant moNovember 14, 2014
Did work there very long it was my first full time job. Great job to start a career
Pros
good lob
State job
seasonal maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Northeast District, MOMarch 29, 2014
The dinasaurs in HR, that make the big bucks and the hiring decisions by the way, don't want to hire anyone full time over 35-40 years old. They never say you're too old. They use other BS excuses, like you live too far away (when applying in another district, even telling them you are willing to move if offered a position), or that they had enough local applications. If they actually had enough local applications, why do they post the jobs statewide?
I learned that most of the people I worked with were about the whiniest, laziest, crybabies, I'd ever been around. If there were 2 workers on a jobsite, and they got caught doing something wrong by a passing motorist, when questioned, they both denied anything had happened. The younger guys don't want to work, and when made to do something, don't care if it';s done right or not. They'd rather spend the day on their phone, trying to buy a motorcycle 250 miles away. Or trying to set up a date for the weekend.
Pros
work outside, or in; drive a snowplow; operate heavy equipment
Cons
whiners; lazy co-workers; managers that do nothing to fix the laziness, and whining.
good place to work
Bridge Deck Repair (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 27, 2014
replacing the deck on Bridges, I learned how careful you need to be while working in traffic. the Supervisors were fair but sometimes hard to work with.I had good coworkers The hardest part about this Job was working on the highways in Traffic. The most enjoyable part was working with my coworkers.
Pros
seeing the finished product.
Cons
working in bad weather.
overall good work, some challenges, safe practices
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Houston, MOFebruary 18, 2014
It is not fair for my judgement, as I was employed by the corrections/workrelease program. I did however find the experience fulfilling and satisfying. I would like to have been able to have a regular position.
Pros
constant work, team effort
Cons
costant work loads, some unexperienced help.
Good
Senior General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 18, 2013
Good people to work for. benefits are good. retired from the job.
good
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 18, 2013
It's a nice relaxed environment as long as you are doing the work that needs to be done in a timely manner. I alot of the employees that have been working there for years learned to love the job even with the end and outs of it.
Pros
nice place to work with job security
Cons
boring sometimes
Overall good experience
Seasonal maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOSeptember 16, 2013
I enjoyed my seasonal position at MoDOT. My crew striped the state highways. I assisted in attenuator placement and flagging traffic.
Pros
stable work week
Cons
no room for advancement
No pressure
Materials Inspector (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOJuly 21, 2013
Nice place to work, with good people. Sometimes working hard is looked down upon.
Pros
opportunity to endless learning
Cons
nothing expected of you. have to be self motivated
Great learning experience and a very safe workplace.
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Harrisonville, MOJuly 10, 2013
I was taught everything I needed to know to operate a snowplow truck. I was trained for and received my class b license. I was always with good hard working people. I was always asked if I was confident in doing the job I had been given. The management were easy to talk to and very understanding. The worst part about the job is that they rarely hire on full time. They hire people for a 6 month seasonal position and that is it. You get no benefits, just a check. I was given the run around on a full time spot for months after my seasonal position had ended. I would not waste my time with this company unless you are only looking to utilize the work experience to find work elsewhere.
Pros
great people, safe work environment, great training
Cons
don't hire full time, seasonals get no benefits, pay is low for the type of work
Steady Job
Highway Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 25, 2013
Typical day is a safety meeting before receiving your work assignments and then gathering your equipment to do the job you were assigned. The guys are great working with. Always helping one another out should there be any questions about anything.
Pros
work hours
Cons
pay

4.3