Moffitt Cancer Center Employee Reviews

Okay pay and benefits but full of favoritism and politics
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 14, 2017
I've been an employee for many years. Overall, Moffitt is an Okay place to work. The benefits and pay are fair as they try to be in the middle of the range for most positions. Work-life balance is Okay, depends on the department and immediate supervisor. Like everywhere, some are nicer than others. But overall, it's not bad.

What I don't like is the upper management. It is your "Big Boy's Club" at its best. They aren't transparent at all (although claim to be), and favoritism is blooming. People often get promotions based on who they know or what is their relationship with the important people, and not based on their skills. Politics and politics everywhere. Also no matter how many years you've been here and how much you have done, if you aren't friends with the management's circle, they will let you go at the first opportunity without hesitation. They also like to let go of the more experienced, higher pay employees and hire cheaper newbies instead, whenever they can. So yeah, either bring some hard to find skills or be friends with the management if you want to last here.
Pros
Salary, benefits, vacation days, events with free food, educational seminars
Cons
Upper management, favoritism
Health Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 15, 2016
Highly regarded by patients, great benefits and good job security
Visionary leadership
Employees are valued by leadership and most management
Valuable & Educational institution with talented physicians
Great teaching hospital
Pockets of unqualified management
Pros
Leadership has great vision for future and work culture, stable work environment
Cons
Varied-on making all managers accountable for following leadership philosophies
Dedicated, compassionate and professional.
Graphic Designer II (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 29, 2017
Relaxed atmosphere with an excellent dedicated group. Work very well together in groups or pairs. "One person can make a difference" is more than a motto here. We all are here for the prevention and cure of cancer. How much more motivation could a person need? A variety of of projects and skill sets are used.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
punch a clock, used to be salary
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 9, 2017
-Provided great compensation compared to other hospitals in the area.
-Work life balance was greatly encouraged
-Had 2-3 patients per nurse
-Great teamwork
-Everyone was always happy to be working there
Pros
compensation/nurse patient ratio
Productive and fun place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 23, 2017
Moffitt is a very good organization to work. Employees are treated equally, there is room to advance, learn and improve ones career. Tuition reimbursement and the benefits are great.
Not a bad gig
Oncology Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 8, 2017
Moffitt has been a great place to work at and to see how people grown through cancer. I have enjoyed my time here, and I feel they hire the most personable staff.
Cons
benefits are terrible; rarely have any raises
Work Life balance for IT is non-existent
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 1, 2016
Management does not seem to notice that staff are overworked and very stressed. Projects are always date driven regardless of staff workload. Those dates move frequently. If you are planning a vacation, better get it on the calendar before a project date changes. Management routinely stops allowing PTO or flexible work arrangements. Many managers play favorites. Some teams are not open to new people. There is never enough time to thoroughly analyze work or a project without being told to have it done by a certain date.

The department used to be fun and there was time for group lunches or time to enjoy your evenings. Now there is so much work, you eat at your desk. The Call schedule is a joke. It seems like every weekend is taken up with something for work, and there is no compensation for that work. Working on an issue overnight, does not seem to matter--you still have to come in on time the next day....you wind up working sometimes for 16 hours straight.

Managers are stressed --they seem to be just relaying information from the top down, without sticking up for their employees.
Pros
The mission of Moffitt.
Cons
Non-existent worklife balance. Lack of true leadership. Grueling hours.
Great first job as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 2, 2017
I enjoyed starting this job the day I finished my degree in Nuclear Medicine! The staff was so helpful and the management was very supportive. We worked on so many research projects, and it was here I learned about the FDA approval process (10years+ for all the phases of procedure and drug approval!). I loved being involved in research, and always volunteered to work extra hours when asked. I typically worked 50 hours/week. I helped direct a program for surgeons coming to Moffitt to learn about special Nuclear Medicine procedures. I can expound on that if interviewed. I continued to work with the same doctors in the other jobs I had after this one.
The best team a therapist can ask for
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 22, 2017
Working at moffitt is such a humbling and rewarding experience. Great rehab department, management is fair and understanding. Work life balance is acknowledged and productivity is manageable with dedication.
Family Environment
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 6, 2016
Great place to work, felt like family. There really isn't more to say but the site is making me type more. Not sure why this isn't a fortune 500 company but it should be.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Short lunches, cafeteria food was bad
My Moffitt experience
Pressent Patient Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 19, 2016
On a daily basis I interact with many patients and their families. Unlike my previous experience working in orthopedics, I have learned a great deal working in the cancer center. The management and leadership team are very supportive, and they provide the employees with all of the tools and resources we need to perform od duties. I enjoy working with my co-workers, and I enjoy the work that I do.
Fast Paced multi-line department
PBX Operator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 8, 2016
Fun place to work. Helping people get to the office or appointment center as needed. Must be flexible and work as needed no benefits for PRN
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
must be very flexible in schedule
Productive and Copassionate
Patient Access Representative III (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 13, 2017
Determined prior authorizations for outpatient procedures.
Pre-certified medical and radiology procedures, surgeries and echocardiograms.
Reviewed, analyzed and managed coding of diagnostic and treatment procedures
contained in outpatient medical records.
Responded to correspondence from insurance companies.
Examined patients' insurance coverage, deductibles, possible insurance carrier
payments and remaining balances not covered under their policies when applicable
Flexible working hours
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa FlaMarch 18, 2017
Moffitt Cancer Center is a great place to work. They would hold monthly meetings to communicate and ask if anyone had any issues or questions. They would have breakfast at times or just coffee and doughnuts. They also had everyone bring a dish day and we would have lunch together in the Facilities Office. The managers cared about your home life and was very flexible if you needed time off.
Cons
Sometimes the communication was lacking in the dept.
Great People to Work With
Health Unit Coordinator HUC/ Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 12, 2016
I've worked at Moffitt Cancer Center for 12 years. Over the years things have changed drastically. My position has changed and so have many others. We all have adjusted to our new assignments well, and see what the future holds for not only it's staff but also Patient care. Patient care is very important, and finding a Cure for Cancer is a major goal of the facility.
A typical day varies greatly here in the ICU. The job requirements hve changed over the years since we have gone to Physician Order Entry. Always finding things to do, help those around you while ensuring that your main duties have been accomplished for that day. Most enjoyable part of my day would be knowing that I have accomplished my duties for the day. Hardest part of the day is when a patient is not doing well. Seeing patients and their families during the worst part of their life, does not get easier with time.
Being in the medical field for 18 years has given me a broad spectum of education. I've had the pleasure of working in multpile fields of the medical field. From Trauma, ICU, Long Term Care, Pre Op, Post Op to Home Health Care. They all have different challenges, and I like a challenge.
Rewarding and humbling place to work at!
Medical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 2, 2017
Love coming in and being able to make a difference in someone's life. The work can be stressful at times and sometimes emotional. But, it is all worth it at the end of the day.
Pros
Get to meet people from around the world
Cons
It's hard emetionally when you lose a patient to cancer
Becoming a member of the Pain-Patient Care Team.
Registered Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 31, 2016
Provided a common understanding and guidelines for cancer patients in an outpatient clinic environment.

Functioned as both a resource and change agent in disseminating information, interfacing with nurses, physicians, other health care providers, and patients and families to facilitate quality pain management.
Pros
Worked with the most wonderful doctor who soon became my mentor.
Cons
Medical director was a demon physician.
Amazing opportunity.
Senior Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 29, 2016
Moffitt Cancer was amazing!! A typical work day would include checking the patients in and out of the clinic. I would verify patients insurance as well. The patients were fantastic for the most part. It is a cancer facility after all.
My supervisor was very understandable and willing to go to bat for her employees My co-workers were the best! It was like working with family .
The hardest part of the job was losing patients. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my coworkers and seeing patients beat their cancer.
Pros
My co-worker family, the patients were amazing!
Cons
Losing patients.
Enjoyable and Rewarding
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 23, 2016
Working at Moffitt can be a very rewarding job. There is a lot of competition and a lot of room for career development. Upper leadership is very attentive to what the staff wants/needs.
Loved what I did
Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaSeptember 22, 2016
I worked with very caring people. Very committed coworkers.
I enjoyed sharing knowledge.

My team was exceptional under the leadership of our Manager. I loved being part of such an exceptional team of professionals who worked in the community to make the public more aware of the importance of healthy eating and how it would impact their lives.

The population we reached was thankful of all the knowledge the outreach health educational representatives provided during their presentations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Moffitt Cancer Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2