Moffitt Cancer Center

Moffitt Cancer Center Employee Reviews

Good Place Bad Management
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 15, 2015
Moffitt is a great place to work. However Management in my particular department does not work well together. There is no room for advancement and they have too much work one person. Benefits are about normal and the pay is decent.
Productive and fun workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 21, 2015
The workflow is steady and always busy, everyone is willing to help one another. The staff are all very friendly, which makes for a well functioning laboratory.
Pros
Events, benefits, discounts
Rewarding workplace and good atmosphere
current medicla concierge (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 11, 2014
Current position is a Medical Concierge. I am a coordinator or liason between patients and staff. I assisit with requests that are asked. I also assist with check-in, patient updates, and new patients reviewing HPPA and documentation. I also act in the capacity of a Care Traffic Controller and use a carepass program to track patients while in our facility.
Pros
Rewarding career, and a cancer survivor myself
Cons
none, it is a great company
had a great experience here
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  tampa, flApril 19, 2014
This was my first Sterile Processing Job straight out of surgical technology school. I am confident that I was trained efficiently and effectively by a great educator. This facility was compromised of a very different culture involving teamwork and effective communication with not just the operating room, but also within the department. Overall great place to work. The manager keeps his team up to date on changes within the department as well as the hospital and organization. Low score on benefits because I moved to a different organization with free healthcare and one of the last remaining pension plans.
Pros
quick to reward hard work and ethics
Cons
healthcare
Great Place to work.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 25, 2014
Work At Genitourinary Clinic , on a typical day we will take care of 80 plus patients and at the end of the day prepared patients charts for the following day of clinic. Working in a Oncology environment I am constantly learning. My co-workers are great, team players. The most enjoyable part of my job to to be able to help patients with cancer and assure them that they are in one of the best Oncology Hospital in Florida.
Pros
My manager is wonderful.
Cons
Short Breaks, Not enough rooms for the Medical Assistant in clinic, pay rate can be better.
Fun enjoyable place to work
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaMay 30, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job is patient interaction. On any given day I would perform mobile x-ray, fluoroscopic studies, bone surveys, or surgical c-arm cases. With all jobs their are co-workers that have negative attitudes, the best thing to do is surround yourself with positive co-workers and get the job at hand finished; because proper patient care is the main goal.The hardest part of the job is not getting alot of hours in a pay period.
Pros
discounts to certain parks
Cons
not alot of hours
Very professional and compassionate work place.
OB/GYN clinic (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 30, 2012
I enjoyed my time at Moffitt during my externship and being able to work with the patients one on one. It is very rewarding work and the staff is the best around. Our manager was outstanding with an open door policy and the employees were a joy to work with. It was a very sad day when I completed my externship. My hopes are to work at Moffitt as I have experience alot of what the patients are going through and I have the empathy and first hand knowledge of their challenges and fears.
Pros
working one on one with the patients
Cons
n/a
Research Assistant
Research Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Tampa FlJune 20, 2012
Worked on multiple projects during my time at Moffitt. From researching and identifying preferred channels of communication in the hispanic community, conducting focus groups, assisting in a breast cancer support group for hispanics to working on a smoke cessation project. I learned so much, and had such a great experience here. I felt like I was contributing to something great. I had a great team and I felt like there was always something new to learn. Since cultural anthropology and public health were my two cognates in college, I felt like this position assisted in challenging me in both those areas.
Pros
related to my field, felt like i was making a difference
Very calm and peaceful place for patients and employees.
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 3, 2012
Never typical. I learned patients and families are very important and very stressed and you have to try and be that comfort for them when you are there with them. Never had an issue with management only worked weekends so the nursing supervisor was the person that I would have to go to and they were always on top of things. My co-workers were very good people to work with. Hardest part of the job was at first learning how to enter medication orders. Working for a wonderful Cancer Center.
Cons
only was hired for weekends.
It is not a job, it is a career.
Clinic Coordinator Full-Time (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 23, 2012
Moffitt is an amazing place to work if you are able to always go above and beyond, if you can put the patient first and can handle having to work overtime at times. I grew up there, and the skills that I learned there have made me into the hardworking individual that I am today. The patients humble you and are amazing. I learned how to assess and address situations in stressful situations.
Pros
patient contact, benefits
Cons
retaliation is a bit of a problem in some departments, some departments work in silos which makes it difficult to assist the patient
Enjoyably workplace with great management and co-workers
Moffitt Valet (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 8, 2013
A typical work day is usually a five hour shift where I am responsible for parking patients cars. There are roughly 1000 patients that visit Moffitt every day. I help assist cancer patients in and out of their cars. I am required to retrieve cars in a timely fashion which involves running to and from the patients car. There are two supervisors who over see each valet location. They are in charge of handing out tickets and seeing that everything runs smoothly. The most challenging part of the job is keeping up the pace during the rush hours. I enjoy working with my supervisors and co-workers everyday.
Pros
Flexible hours, Good management, and weekends off
Cons
Physically exausting and no breaks
Very productive environment and personally satisfying place to work
Change Configuration Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 7, 2012
I enjoyed my work at Moffitt. Everyone really cared about what they brought to the care for cancer. As a Project Manager II I managed some very exciting projects with great teams of resources.
When the opportunity for the position of Change Configuration Manager arose, I immediately applied for it because I thought I would bring value to the new role with my background. I was very happy to receive the promotion and loved the many challenges brought about in this role.
Whether working with the clinical or business staff, it was remarkable how everyone was a team together, working towards the cure for cancer.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
no cafeteria for staff moved off-site
Wonderful sense of unity between SPD and OR
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 30, 2013
The manager won SPD manager of the year from IASCHMM and it was greatly deserved. The staff is knowledgeable and one of the hardest obstacles to overcome at any establishment is communication. This department gets an A for their effort. Its extremely clean and organized but its a direct result of the staff working very hard to achieve this. I loved working here and doing things the "right way". If I were to go back, I would have no problem besides compensation. The department manager fights HR at every turn for the slightest bump in wages and unfortunately this is an uphill battle for SPD employees everywhere.
Pros
We are greatly appreciated as employees here
Cons
very strict routine and coworkers that like drama
National Accredited Cancer Hospital
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 12, 2012
I Checked patients in and out of the hospital as well as entering STAT orders and biopsy. I learned how to schedule MRI's, CT's, Ultra Sounds as well as coordinate patients appointments with other facilities. With great leadership from management and other co-workers made the job easier. Knowing that the patients visit/experience went smoothly made the job rewarding.
Great place to start a social work career
Outpatient Gastrointestinal Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 15, 2013
Excellent and supportive co-workers. High volume of cases and can be very stressful and demanding. Job would be best suited for someone who can multi task and has a strong interest in counseling regarding the end of life process. Management and Institution is disorganized which can add to stress. Patient and families are enjoyable to work with.
Moffitt good learning place....no good working environment!
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  TampaJune 16, 2012
Moffitt's Lab has great professionals but this is no place for working moms, there's no schedule flexibility whatsoever, mangement needs to do a better job about diversity training, some managers are still in the 60's prior to the civil rights movement, lots of hostility towards minorities and your opinion does not count as they want to preach, their motto: my way or the highway! Bigotry is rampant, you can hear racial comments made by not only your coworkers but also by some managers and you just have to take or else the retaliation and the lies they will use against you will be unbelievable. So if you are a minority...apply at your own risk. I don't know of any other sections of the hospital but this is what I know of the Micro Lab.
Tough gig!!
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FlNovember 7, 2012
Working with the patients and most of the staff was an unforgetable experience!! Very rewarding!! But even with the abundace of Physical Therapy experience I had working in different facilities, I found working as a staff person was over wheelming! As a staff therapist you are required from day one to work all the floors from intensive care to BMT. A significant amount of physicians (they work in teams from 3-7) and nursing staff to get to know as well as social workers all different on all units!! Not to mention as a PTA you work under supervision of many different PT's all with different expectations of their PTA's. Difficult situation when communication between these people are crutial!!
Pros
rewarding experience to see those get well
Cons
difficult enviroment floating floor to floor
Wonderful place to work.
Computed Technologist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 30, 2015
I love working at Moffitt Cancer Center. The best part is our patients and the willingness of their fight for life. I have learned so much here and continue to learn daily. I hope someday we will find a cure for cancer,
Wonderful place to learn and work!
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 23, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed my time spent at Moffitt. They are an incredible hospital with incredible staff. The research they do there is outstanding, and its wonderful to see the outcomes for patients who are in need of their research. Loved working with the pharmacist and technicians-they were always willing to help/teach me.
Pros
team-work, interesteing
Great work atmosphere
Senior Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 18, 2013
Moffitt is a great organization with many opportunities for advancement. I've worked with numerous physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, surgeons, and non-clinical staff and have always found everyone to be pleasant to work with and satisfied in their roles. Management is very understandable with every employee's needs and concerns, as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Moffitt Cancer Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2