Mohawk Valley Community College Employee Reviews

Challenging supervisors
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYDecember 18, 2016
There is no advancement opportunities at this college. No appreciation for hard work and dedication. I would recommend any other educational institute rather than working here again.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
The Supervisors, Rome campus director, Rome campus Dean have no interest in student success or employee moral
Productive Work Place
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYDecember 14, 2016
A good job great people in a college environment the diversity and ethic causes that Mohawk Valley stands for equivocates to something much greater than a job but a career.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No much Hours
Math teacher
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJune 15, 2016
Some days I gave tests for students, other days explain them a new material. I got experience of teaching profession, class working, punctual, responsible. I like when the students give me questions and understand my explanation.
Amazing.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJune 8, 2016
I was a Lab Assistant from 11'-13'. I loved that position. I helped assist students with technical problems on their computers and fixed the printer once every while. Great management, Great Job.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Competitive, first come first serve with the position
Mangeable
Administrative Assistance (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work was showing up on time and making sure everything was in order to work. Answering the phone, counting money and making sure students who were trying to come into the job were actual students which was checked through a computer database.
Pros
Pick schedule and interact with people
Cons
Making sure people leave
A fullfilling work experience, highly engaging.
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 1, 2016
Being a teachers assistant was definitely the most rewarding job I ever had. Being able to learn while teaching others was a great way to keep up on my own education in the machinist industry while honing my skills.
MVCC has a very friendly atmosphere and is totally student oriented
Senior Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Utica New YorkAugust 12, 2015
I learned with my many years of service to MVCC, that the college truly exemplifies their college mission statement: "Student Affairs strives to create a welcoming and supportive environment that foster student engagement to promote learning, personal growth and student success."MVCC has a network of very supportive co-workers and management.
Terrible work enivorment
Senior Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYMarch 16, 2015
Horrible place to work. Always had to watch your back because your co-workers would do anything to hurt you. Management is a joke. Who you think is in charge is not. I biggest thing I learned from working here is that it is amazing how many people can be fired for no reason other than one person does not like them
good for students
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 8, 2015
Good place for a student to get some work. Not much to do. Friendly management and good money. Slow paced work but can get enough hours.
Great work space, with time to study for classes and get homework done.
Class Cancellation Manager (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYDecember 29, 2014
They were flexible with their hours, my co-workers were friendly and very helpful, the work was very easy but it was very hard for me to be in front of the computer the whole time. They were very understanding if you could not make it in due to illness, they always had refreshments for their workers and worked around your school schedule.
Pros
got to study and do homework while waiting for emails and calls to come through.
Cons
sitting in front of a computer the whole time.

Want to know more about Mohawk Valley Community College?

Ask a question
Adjunct "Faculty"
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYNovember 14, 2014
I am absolutely shocked and disgusted by the steady thread of high employee ratings of MVCC - especially from MVCC adjunct faculty. It is obvious that many of these tremendous reviews are from internet image protection firms. This is likely done as a hedge against what MVCC administration knows to be a seriously disordered work environment. MVCC has over 350 adjuncts, and they teach the majority of the "high quality" courses offered at the "college."

MVCC notoriously pays its Adjuncts among the lowest salaries of all community colleges in New York State. Often human resources is late in paying adjunct salaries. Their benefits are negligible, and require little extra expenditures from the college.

There are only a couple of small communal offices for the adjuncts to hold office hours. Because these offices are occupied by many teachers simultaneously, it is difficult for students to focus and for the faculty to teach.

The full-time faculty are notoriously unhelpful and distant towards their adjunct "colleagues." Some of this hostility is rooted in the generally inadequate qualifications and teaching skills of many adjuncts. However, the bulk of this hostility comes from the potential overload sections that adjunct faculty have siphoned away from them. The full-time faculty are paid far higher amounts for teaching the same courses as adjuncts.

Maximizing the hiring of adjuncts is a clear cost-cutting strategy that belies the opportunities and prestige of the full-time faculty. Unfortunately, this practice has eroded the actual and perceived quality of
  more... the institution as a whole. However, the money saved from hiring more adjunct faculty is diverted to institutional priorities such as an ever-expanding campus infrastructure and a small army of "coordinators" and assistant administrators.  less
Pros
Little-to-no oversight and instructional assessment, Students are as apathetic as administration
Cons
Very poor morale, Full-time faculty and administrators are condescending and unappreciative, Pay is very poor
Great College
Adjunct Instructor/ Part-Time Professional (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 25, 2014
Most Employees are friendly and helpful

Administration has great communication

Good people
Leadership needs reinforcement
adjunct teacher
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYAugust 13, 2014
the college ensures that adjunct are orientated yearly and provide ongoing training should you require more information
Pros
union
Fun workplace
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 24, 2014
I enjoyed giving feed back and putting forth new ideas to help.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
there was nothing bad
Fun workplace
Front Desk Staff (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 16, 2014
fun environment and working with great people. it fit around my schedule so it was great working there. The staff were friendly and great to work with.
Very Goo Place to Start
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 25, 2014
MVCC is a great starting point for all teachers that want to take the next step in advancing into higher education.
Photo Lab Assistant
Photo lab Assistant /Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 19, 2014
I actually found this job enlightening. I am a visual arts major with a concentration in photography. This job actually helped me understand the equipment used in the studio and the darkrooms. I would say the best part of this job was that I can have class and work at the same time, a lot of my classes were in the photography lab.
Pros
get work done, fair pay, equipment knowledge
Productive, relaxed work environment
Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 9, 2014
It was a work study position so I was mainly working with my dorm friends. I learned to maintain I professional attitude when speaking with individuals over the phone. My persuasion skills excelled. The hardest part of the job was reeling the alumni back in when I felt I was losing them.
Productive and fun workplace to tutor students
American Sign Language Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 21, 2013
When I was done with my classes, I clocked in and I am always what my tutor has in mind for me to tutor them in order to improve their American Sign Language skills and to earn a very good grades. The co-workers at work are super friendly, intelligent, and teach the subjects very professionally. They are ready to give and expose their students in many different techniques that will improve their knowledge based on their study and their future career. I must say that there was no hardest part of the job except the professor assigned me with some of the challenge tasks I must do with the students in order to improve their skills and to pass the courses. I was truly honored that I got to experienced as American Sign Language Peer Tutor.
Pros
Positive atmosphere for the students to find their comfort zone while studying
Cons
No cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mohawk Valley Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

Mohawk Valley Community College Reviews by Location