Mohawk Valley Community College Employee Reviews in United States

MVCC has a very friendly atmosphere and is totally student oriented
Senior Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Utica New YorkAugust 12, 2015
I learned with my many years of service to MVCC, that the college truly exemplifies their college mission statement: "Student Affairs strives to create a welcoming and supportive environment that foster student engagement to promote learning, personal growth and student success."MVCC has a network of very supportive co-workers and management.
Terrible work enivorment
Senior Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYMarch 16, 2015
Horrible place to work. Always had to watch your back because your co-workers would do anything to hurt you. Management is a joke. Who you think is in charge is not. I biggest thing I learned from working here is that it is amazing how many people can be fired for no reason other than one person does not like them
good for students
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 8, 2015
Good place for a student to get some work. Not much to do. Friendly management and good money. Slow paced work but can get enough hours.
Great work space, with time to study for classes and get homework done.
Class Cancellation Manager (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYDecember 29, 2014
They were flexible with their hours, my co-workers were friendly and very helpful, the work was very easy but it was very hard for me to be in front of the computer the whole time. They were very understanding if you could not make it in due to illness, they always had refreshments for their workers and worked around your school schedule.
Pros
got to study and do homework while waiting for emails and calls to come through.
Cons
sitting in front of a computer the whole time.
Adjunct "Faculty"
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYNovember 14, 2014
I am absolutely shocked and disgusted by the steady thread of high employee ratings of MVCC - especially from MVCC adjunct faculty. It is obvious that many of these tremendous reviews are from internet image protection firms. This is likely done as a hedge against what MVCC administration knows to be a seriously disordered work environment. MVCC has over 350 adjuncts, and they teach the majority of the "high quality" courses offered at the "college."

MVCC notoriously pays its Adjuncts among the lowest salaries of all community colleges in New York State. Often human resources is late in paying adjunct salaries. Their benefits are negligible, and require little extra expenditures from the college.

There are only a couple of small communal offices for the adjuncts to hold office hours. Because these offices are occupied by many teachers simultaneously, it is difficult for students to focus and for the faculty to teach.

The full-time faculty are notoriously unhelpful and distant towards their adjunct "colleagues." Some of this hostility is rooted in the generally inadequate qualifications and teaching skills of many adjuncts. However, the bulk of this hostility comes from the potential overload sections that adjunct faculty have siphoned away from them. The full-time faculty are paid far higher amounts for teaching the same courses as adjuncts.

Maximizing the hiring of adjuncts is a clear cost-cutting strategy that belies the opportunities and prestige of the full-time faculty. Unfortunately, this practice has eroded the actual and perceived quality of the institution as a
  more... whole. However, the money saved from hiring more adjunct faculty is diverted to institutional priorities such as an ever-expanding campus infrastructure and a small army of "coordinators" and assistant administrators.  less
Pros
little-to-no oversight and instructional assessment, students are as apathetic as administration
Cons
very poor morale, full-time faculty and administrators are condescending and unappreciative, pay is very poor
Great College
Adjunct Instructor/ Part-Time Professional (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 25, 2014
Most Employees are friendly and helpful

Administration has great communication

Good people
Leadership needs reinforcement
adjunct teacher
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYAugust 13, 2014
the college ensures that adjunct are orientated yearly and provide ongoing training should you require more information
Pros
union
Fun workplace
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 24, 2014
I enjoyed giving feed back and putting forth new ideas to help.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
there was nothing bad
Fun workplace
Front Desk Staff (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 16, 2014
fun environment and working with great people. it fit around my schedule so it was great working there. The staff were friendly and great to work with.
Very Goo Place to Start
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 25, 2014
MVCC is a great starting point for all teachers that want to take the next step in advancing into higher education.
Photo Lab Assistant
Photo lab Assistant /Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 19, 2014
I actually found this job enlightening. I am a visual arts major with a concentration in photography. This job actually helped me understand the equipment used in the studio and the darkrooms. I would say the best part of this job was that I can have class and work at the same time, a lot of my classes were in the photography lab.
Pros
get work done, fair pay, equipment knowledge
Productive, relaxed work environment
Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 9, 2014
It was a work study position so I was mainly working with my dorm friends. I learned to maintain I professional attitude when speaking with individuals over the phone. My persuasion skills excelled. The hardest part of the job was reeling the alumni back in when I felt I was losing them.
Productive and fun workplace to tutor students
American Sign Language Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 21, 2013
When I was done with my classes, I clocked in and I am always what my tutor has in mind for me to tutor them in order to improve their American Sign Language skills and to earn a very good grades. The co-workers at work are super friendly, intelligent, and teach the subjects very professionally. They are ready to give and expose their students in many different techniques that will improve their knowledge based on their study and their future career. I must say that there was no hardest part of the job except the professor assigned me with some of the challenge tasks I must do with the students in order to improve their skills and to pass the courses. I was truly honored that I got to experienced as American Sign Language Peer Tutor.
Pros
positive atmosphere for the students to find their comfort zone while studying
Cons
no cons
Student too wide ranging in ability and skill levels
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 21, 2013
Salary structure is very poor. No benefits are provided and adjuncts are insured that they will not teach enough hours to qualify for benefits. Classes are capped at 40 students although it is common to end up with only 30 due to attrition. Co-workers are excellent and share common disappointments such as students that do not have the basic skills required for college. The core body of students is there for a purpose and they are very enjoyable to work with. A large number are simply avoiding the "real" world and seemingly have little interest in getting an education or a degree.
fun and intovative
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYJune 30, 2013
I work for two different offices and my job is simple I file papers away find things in the files that people need. scan new files into the system, and other tasks asked of me. Everything is strait forward and there is no nonsense. Everyone is helpful and great to work with.
Pros
friendly workers
Cons
nealing on the hard floor for a few hours at a time is painful
College
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJune 15, 2013
Good place to work for. Immedite supervisor good, upper mangement so-so.
Pros
free room and board
Cons
no balance between work and private life
Adjuncts are seldom offered full time positions and maxed out.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMay 27, 2013
Colleagues that were adjuncts were highly educated and dedicated, enthusiastic instructors.

Students were the most enjoyable part of the job as each day they provided me an opportunity to make a difference in their lives.

Valued by my students.

Hardest part of position was ability to promote within being discouraged.
Productive work environment with a well organized and experienced team!
Internship for Networking (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMay 17, 2013
On a typical day at work we would maintain, install, update, upgrade, or configure networking devices. They would range from networking switches, access points, and networking hubs. I also had a great team of knowledgeable members that would give me advice if needed. They would give me tasks to achieve and once I was told what needed to be done I would do it. I had to run many cables from one point of the campus building to the other side and also set up node connections in several rooms at the campus. I love just doing what I went to school for and its what I have done for a hobby since I was a young boy. There really is no hard part of the job.
Pros
experience
great job
Academic Advisement/Placement Testing (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 23, 2013
Very supportive management and very supportive of professional development

4.2