Mohonk Mountain House Employee Reviews in United States

FUN workplace
Host, Buffet Runner, supervisory (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJanuary 6, 2016
I had the most welcoming fellow co-workers as I was from outside the country. A typical day at work always started off with a roll call which is 15 minutes before the restaurant opens so that the managers could confirm that all workers on duty are present. I learned a lot about working with different people from different cultures and also working with people's different dietary meals. It made me realise just how different we are. The best part about this job is that I had the advantage of working closely with my managers, it made me realise that to be a perfect manager you do not need to be rude to the people working below your level. The minute you respect them they will respect you back and will do whatever you ask of them with a warm heart. When it comes to the hospitality industry, each and everyday has its difficulties only because you have to satisfy a whole lot of different people and not all of them are as friendly. When you find yourself having helped someone without even realising it, it is the best and enjoyable part of the industry.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Productive environment with excellent job culture
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 13, 2016
I have been working at Mohonk Mountain House for almost six years. It was a great experience that provided me with many opportunities to learn about new cultures and new skills.
Pros
Affordable meals
Cons
Long breaks away from family
Learning Experience
Acting Assistant Chief of Safety & Security (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYAugust 17, 2015
Problem Solving, Medical Emergencies, paperwork, planning, meetings. Patrol of House and Grounds. Monthly Safety Checks (fire Extinguishers, Emergency doors and lights, AED stations and also pull stations.

I learned how to manage situations and prioritize, the hardest part of this job is no one wanted to change anything, they were stuck in their old ways. Most enjoyable part of my job was interaction with employees and Guests.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
Lack of Communication between Management and subordinates
Historical manager with large staff
Front Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 28, 2014
Working at a Historical Hotel and National Historical Landmark, I learned very quickly how much history you had to reatain and pass along to the guests who were looking to relax in a quiet and private hotel. I found the staff and scheduling to be the hardest-along with working over 65 hours a week and only being compensated a salary of 40. My team members aided each other like we were related! I enjoyed the cross-teamwork of different departments as well. Management wanted you to scuceed but sometimes stayed in the background if things were running smoothly - which was almost 90% of the time. A typical day consisted of confering with the Guest Relations manager, Front Office manager and team about difficulties the night before, billing issues, payroll and cash situations. Days arrivals and check outs were estimated and Housekeeping was readied for large departures. I found the cash handling and responsibilty of a large safe for change to be daunting.
Pros
discounts for family and myself, the history of the property
Cons
inability for promotion/raises
Great people and a great place
Granary Server (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYSeptember 29, 2015
Only working here temporarily (position is seasonal) and I must say it has been a great time. All the other employees I have met are friendly and it creates an impressive, relaxing atmosphere without sacrificing any seriousness of the job. Management is understandably strict, but still agreeable and understanding.
Cooperative, supportive, exceptional training program
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJanuary 29, 2015
Assist customers in designing and purchasing travel experiences via telephone. A typical day is spent speaking with 40-60 customers daily through both inbound and outbound calls. Management is very supportive and my co-workers are highly cooperative. The most challenging and exhilarating part of my job is designing a vacation that exceeds our customers expectations while working within their budget.
Pros
customer contact
Cons
long hours online
A challenging and fulfilling work environment with emphasis on diversity, while providing ultimate the customer experience.
Conference Service Assistant (September) (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYMay 6, 2015
A productive, diverse workplace, service oriented with a focus on guest satisfaction and social responsibility. Duties require an in-depth knowledge of customer service, the ability to multi-task, and the opportunity to work with co-workers from varied cultural backgrounds. The most challenging aspect of job is to experience adverse weather conditions during winter months, yet this can be contrasted with the pristine natural surrounding, panoramic views and the vistas enjoyed during the summer and fall period.
Pros
Job security, housing accommodations
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
Fine Dining Server/ Bartender (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYOctober 2, 2012
Mohonk Mountain house was a absolutely a great place to work.

the staff were amazing, and friendly, a fun place to be. the mohonk mountain house was reserve hundreds of acre of land,which was a natural ,for wildlife. this also attract hundreds of visitor annually.

Typical day at work,start 6:am , breaks set up lunch serve, break down clean up, break, start dinner @ 5:30.

management was great, motivational skill that help build employee.

The hardest part of the job was to bring the food tray from downstairs , up to the main dining room, but we were able to execute,

the most enjoyable part of the jobs, was to serve my guest and ensure, that they were all enjoying my service, as i interact with them.
Pros
live on property, meals were free
Cons
the long hours was good for me
Recreation department fun and fast pace
Boat Dock Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYDecember 21, 2015
Recreation employees get to enjoy the perks of the mountain everyday. They are able to hike, bike, and be adventurous with guest
Pros
free access to the property
Cons
there are slow weeks
Great place to work while attending school.
Gatehouse Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYSeptember 20, 2015
It is a great place to work while attending school. My boss always works around my school schedule and helps me out the best he can. The people I work with are amazing and the job itself is not bad at all. It is a fun environment and has been a good learning experience for me.
Pros
good schedule, great people, environment
Cons
no room for growth, low pay, no breaks
A beautiful place to go to work everyday
Maintenance Mechanic/Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJuly 31, 2012
I loved working there, it was a beautiful place and made many friends. I left to pursue a different career and now do to a human resources rule on rehire I cant return. I would highly recommend Mohonk though. It was a team environment and raises came every year.
Pros
nature, history, friendly place
Cons
ride in is rough especially in winter.
advancements to learn
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  new paltz NYJune 26, 2015
great place to get your foot in the door for the hospitality industry. lots of room for advancement and learning opportunities.
Very Fun Place to work!
Second Cook/Carver (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYMay 19, 2013
Always busy
Learned a lot of fun things
Management was always nice
co-workers were always upbeat and fun
Pros
fun
Cons
Very large high volume restaurant
Server, Expediter and Food Runner (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 17, 2015
Great place to work, great management , great place to learn the industry. working here was one of the best experiences of my life and I remember thing things i learned and experienced there over the years.
Pros
great work enviorment
Cons
seasonal work
fun place with awesome atmosphere
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2015
good place to work during summer , nature all around , management is okay , hotel gratuities is according to occupancy , also u can enjoy hotel amenities some for free
Pros
cheap lunch, nature, free activities
Cons
unbalance schedule
Upscale Hotel
GUEST SERVICE ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 5, 2015
Typical day: 8 hours day/night
Learned: Guest Service sensitivities
Management: Sluggish in accommodating new trends
Co-workers: Mostly inadequately suited
Hardest part of job: Absorbing guests' complaints
Most Enjoyable: Beautiful Landscape/nature
Fun but tough experience
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYMay 9, 2014
Mohonk is not a typical resort. Mohonk prides itself with being one of a kind. Every action of the staff has to be above five-star. The resort is an historic property in the Catskill Mountains with thousands of stories to accompany it.
Working at the Front Desk was a great experience since there were new faces to meet and returning faces to welcome back. Not each guest was happy, not unusual, but there was nothing that could not have been resolved. From greeting all guests to handing out real metal keys the job was a good time.
if you are willing to work really hard you do well
Clerk (Current Employee) –  new paltz nyFebruary 22, 2015
I need a change of pace and more time with my daughter so I will be leaving. I have given my two week notice. this is a fancy resort on a hill that can be challenging to access in bad weather.
Slave Drivers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 5, 2013
You can give all you have to the Mountain House and them still not appreciate it. Although, you have an amazing place to hang out in the summer and a beautiful drive on the way in, you're suckered into staying in dank dorms overnight when it snows, your lunches cost a fortune, and breaks are cut in half (the food is terrible, by the way).

No thank you
Pros
location
Cons
everything else
Beautiful resort with breathtaking views and great food.
Picnic Lodge Manager and Server (Current Employee) –  Mohonk Lake near New Paltz, NYNovember 15, 2013
Mohonk review
Great work experience with high class fine dining and catering to an up scale market.
I started as the Picnic Lodge Manager, the manager of the food stop for hikers on the property and moved to the dining room to be a Server, after the high volume hiking season ended. I started mornings at Picnic Lodge by clocking in and picking up the keys for the business and printing off the daily shift briefing from the kitchen office. After stopping in the office I would go get the money for the entity's cash drawer from the office behind front desk and then grabbing the daily news papers from the resort gift shop. I then would drive down the mountain (quick, three minute golf cart ride) to unlock the Picnic Lodge and greet my staff. As a staff, we picked up fresh produce/bread daily from the walk in cooler in the main kitchen and Mohonk's pasty shop. The white, wheat, rye, herb, and pumpernickel breads that we used had to be sliced daily in the pastry shop where we would also pick up any hotdog buns or cookies that we would be selling. The food we used in the restaurant was ordered through an Adaco order system that linked the Picnic Lodge to the shipping and receiving ordering system. Using this system gave me experience with ordering food ahead of time and stocking our fridges, so that the business would never run out during a rush and also making connections with vendors while working hand in hand with the staff in shipping and receiving. Times weren’t always easy going in that there were several mornings I came in to open the doors and found that the coolers had failed
  more... and all of the food was lost. In addition to food picked up from the pastry shop, gift shop, and shipping and receiving there was food that was prepped ahead of time. We had to go up to the main kitchen to do prep work as there was no kitchen appliances on site and then bring down prepped food before starting food service. More prep work was done to stock the cold line such as slicing deli meats for sandwiches, chopping/cutting veggies for salads and sandwiches, making chicken salad and tuna salad, and restocking any supplies for pizza or other items that were running low. We served pizza, salads, sandwiches, hot dogs, drinks and snacks from 11am-4pm before closing for the day. The business was open on weekends from memorial day-mid june, then was open 7 days a week mid june - labor day, then went back to just weekends from labor day to mid-October. Most days at the Picnic Lodge had a large lunch rush that the business was not equipped to handle. Talks with management about this problem brought few solutions which became frustrating as a leader and manager. I was in charge of setting the schedule and took pride in doing so in a way that would not spend too much money on labor by cutting back on hours during slower times and not paying much overtime over the course of the hiking season. Working as the Picnic Lodge Manager was an extremely valuable experience in that it was my first manager position on my own and it taught me how to solve issues in tough high volume situations. This position taught me the value of planning ahead and preparing for big rushes of customers efficiently so that there wasn’t a lot of food wasted but we also didn’t run out.
As the summer high volume hiking season wrapped up I made the transition to server. I spent two weeks training as a server during the week and then managing Picnic Lodge on the weekend. At the conclusion of my training period I passed my server evaluation and started working as a full availability server. Serving at Mohonk has had me working: breakfasts, lunches, and 3 course dinners in the main and satellite dining rooms as well as all kinds of holidays, banquets and special large events for private groups. The typical day consists of getting to work a few minutes early to check my section assignment and to check the settings on my tables. After roll call and the opening of the dining room, servers get tables progressively throughout the meal service as determined by the host. Breakfast and lunch are buffet service with dinner being a 3 course fine dining experience. The top priorities were: friendly attitude, professional appearance, prompt service, using fine dining standards, sufficient flow of service, good timing in course clearing and proper turnover after the guests leave the table. The end of each shift required a section check out by a dining room captain, these checkouts required: polished glasses, polished silverware, clean linens, stocked salt/pepper/sugars and clean floors at every table. Serving at Mohonk showed me all kinds of seating arrangements often in a high volume setting and gave me great exposure to high class food and fine dining.
Pros
fine dining, spectacular mountain views within short walk of the resort, historic hotels of america registered landmark, nice staff
Cons
isolated, limited facilities for employees

4.2