Mohonk Mountain House Employee Reviews

fun job but poor pay
Greenhouse assistant (Former Employee) –  greenhouseJune 21, 2017
I loved the working environment at Mohonk and enjoyed the work I did, but the uniform was uncomfortable for the hot summer temperatures. I liked the staff I worked with but the guests could at times we snooty.
Demanding
Assistant Bell Captain (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 15, 2017
If you are looking for a job to become the focus of your life, Mohonk is a great location. They promote everyone taking part in all aspects of the resort.
Pros
Health Benefits, 401K, able to transfer within company
Cons
Short breaks
Banquet Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 5, 2017
Great place to work and lots of things to do. I worked in the kitchen did both pm and am shifts am shift more organized and demanding Chef Carlos is GREAT LEADER!
Pros
Cons
Long hours on the summer
MMH is a beautiful place to work
Concierge (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYMay 31, 2017
Management is over bearing, but a lot of employees have been there for decade... They enforce a very strict dress code... and the walk into work is excruciating... the employee parking lot is up about 100 stairs straight up the mountain.... snow sleet, 100 degrees... your walking...
Upbeat work environment but low compensation
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 22, 2017
Mohonk Mountain House is a great place to work. It's a beautiful House and the Sites from the surrounding grounds are breathtaking. They are always hiring, getting a job here is easy. They provide parking, almost free lunch ($3 a day for all you can eat fresh cooked meals) and use of the house and grounds for you and your guests free. Upper management is enthusiastic and helpful and HR department really cares about their fellow employees.

There are definitaly a lot of perks to working here, the pay check (at least for an entry level position) is not one of them.
Pros
Free acess to a world class resort
Cons
Low wages
Fun place to work for.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 11, 2017
Very cool people work here of all different cultures and backgrounds. You can learn a lot about different cultures and actually feel like you have traveled to a part of the world with out having even been there. Managers are great at managing and not being overly bossy and mean. Every one likes to have fun, but at the same time everyone is there to work to their fullest potential and maintain a very comfortable and habitable place for people stay in. You also can meet and see tons of famous people if your into that sort of stuff. The managers and higher ups also hold special fun events to keep their workers happy and motivated.
Pros
People from different cultures, great management/ co workers.
Cons
fun place to work while in school
Recreation Attendant (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYDecember 28, 2016
I worked their while going to school at SUNY New Paltz. My manager was very flexible with day I could and could not work with school work. It is a beautiful place to work and you get great perks but the pay is not great at all
Great place to work and visit
Stable guide (Former Employee) –  StableDecember 19, 2016
Mohonk is just overall a great experience. Coworkers, guests, all are happy and enjoyable to be around. I miss working here pretty much everyday, wonderful place.
rustic carpenter, outdoors, building repair, carpentry
Rustic Carpenter (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYDecember 7, 2016
Great employees, met people from all over the world, a typical day involved building fences and gazebos in difficult places on the mountain, fixing and maintaining hiking trails, snow removal.
Pros
great employees, challenging work, lots of learning opportunintys
Cons
working on a moutain, working with raw unfinished materials
Could be great
Reservations Agent Transfer (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYOctober 30, 2016
Wonderful environment, great opportunity. Enjoyed the experience but the family leave situation was mishandled. HR could have been more accommodating to the employee rather than the employer.
Pros
Beatiful grounds, many perks
Cons
Growth limited, nepitistic environment

Want to know more about Mohonk Mountain House?

Ask a question
Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYSeptember 15, 2016
Management and stuff make this a fun place to start your career. Many of the staff have been there over twenty years due to this. Management really takes the time to include the staff in things and morale is very high.
Formal, rewarding, well organized, employees handled well just like guests
Intern (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJuly 5, 2016
Short shifts with plenty of staff to spend time with doing various activities such as on the lake, in the forest, or recreational sports.

The internship was an insightful learning time during a semester at a very well established reputable hotel.
Pros
Staff treated very well, staff meals were delicious and varied
Cons
A fixed contract meant I could not extend my time working there
Productive environment with excellent job culture
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJune 13, 2016
I have been working at Mohonk Mountain House for almost six years. It was a great experience that provided me with many opportunities to learn about new cultures and new skills.
Pros
Affordable meals
Cons
Long breaks away from family
FUN workplace
Host, Buffet Runner, supervisory (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJanuary 6, 2016
I had the most welcoming fellow co-workers as I was from outside the country. A typical day at work always started off with a roll call which is 15 minutes before the restaurant opens so that the managers could confirm that all workers on duty are present. I learned a lot about working with different people from different cultures and also working with people's different dietary meals. It made me realise just how different we are. The best part about this job is that I had the advantage of working closely with my managers, it made me realise that to be a perfect manager you do not need to be rude to the people working below your level. The minute you respect them they will respect you back and will do whatever you ask of them with a warm heart. When it comes to the hospitality industry, each and everyday has its difficulties only because you have to satisfy a whole lot of different people and not all of them are as friendly. When you find yourself having helped someone without even realising it, it is the best and enjoyable part of the industry.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Recreation department fun and fast pace
Boat Dock Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYDecember 21, 2015
Recreation employees get to enjoy the perks of the mountain everyday. They are able to hike, bike, and be adventurous with guest
Pros
free access to the property
Cons
there are slow weeks
Great people and a great place
Granary Server (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYSeptember 29, 2015
Only working here temporarily (position is seasonal) and I must say it has been a great time. All the other employees I have met are friendly and it creates an impressive, relaxing atmosphere without sacrificing any seriousness of the job. Management is understandably strict, but still agreeable and understanding.
Great place to work while attending school.
Gatehouse Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYSeptember 20, 2015
It is a great place to work while attending school. My boss always works around my school schedule and helps me out the best he can. The people I work with are amazing and the job itself is not bad at all. It is a fun environment and has been a good learning experience for me.
Pros
good schedule, great people, environment
Cons
no room for growth, low pay, no breaks
Learning Experience
Acting Assistant Chief of Safety & Security (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYAugust 17, 2015
Problem Solving, Medical Emergencies, paperwork, planning, meetings. Patrol of House and Grounds. Monthly Safety Checks (fire Extinguishers, Emergency doors and lights, AED stations and also pull stations.

I learned how to manage situations and prioritize, the hardest part of this job is no one wanted to change anything, they were stuck in their old ways. Most enjoyable part of my job was interaction with employees and Guests.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
Lack of Communication between Management and subordinates
advancements to learn
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  new paltz NYJune 26, 2015
great place to get your foot in the door for the hospitality industry. lots of room for advancement and learning opportunities.
A challenging and fulfilling work environment with emphasis on diversity, while providing ultimate the customer experience.
Conference Service Assistant (September) (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYMay 6, 2015
A productive, diverse workplace, service oriented with a focus on guest satisfaction and social responsibility. Duties require an in-depth knowledge of customer service, the ability to multi-task, and the opportunity to work with co-workers from varied cultural backgrounds. The most challenging aspect of job is to experience adverse weather conditions during winter months, yet this can be contrasted with the pristine natural surrounding, panoramic views and the vistas enjoyed during the summer and fall period.
Pros
Job security, housing accommodations
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities