MOKA Employee Reviews

Not a place for advancement
Records keeping/residential support (Former Employee) –  Whitehall, MISeptember 20, 2017
My supervisor was the greatest, but this company hires for a body to feel shifts. They don't hire because they want you to advance or because staff love their jobs.
Pros
Residents
Cons
No advancement within the company.
Amazing company
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJuly 27, 2017
Wonderful and dedicated company that is all about taking care of the most vulnerable of people. Provides a lot of training opportunities and thus some advancement for employees. Can't say enough good things about MOKA.
Pros
Cons
Can't think of anything
fun workplace
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  grand rapids miMay 22, 2017
awesome company, cares about the employees and residents they provide services too. Nice facilities and helpful staff. Amazing place to work. Wish the pay was better.
It's alright I guess
Residential Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMay 6, 2017
Not paid enough for what you have to deal with. Organization and management is a mess. Needs a lot of work, and is made more difficult than it needs to be.
Rewarding
Residential Support/Supervisor at Double JJ (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMay 1, 2017
This is a really fun and rewarding place to work. It offers many areas to grow within the company and upwardly within yourself. This was a great place to work.
Amazing employer
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIApril 26, 2017
MOKA has a mission of a Culture of Gentleness that they strongly live by every day. This organization is wonderful to work for. Everyone is professional and dedicated to their work. They encourage advancement through trainings which is offered frequently. Every October they host an event called Heart and Soul where all of the employees are recognized with a bonus check, fun guest speakers and a wonderful lunch. MOKA values their employees and you don't see this as often anymore with large companies.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Pay rates a little low but to be expected with non profit organizations
Exceptional Culture
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIApril 11, 2017
MOKA has an exceptional culture of respect and an amazing dedication to those they serve. They are always willing to invest in their employees too. Very professional atmosphere where there is no gossiping in the corporate office.
Pros
Willing to invest in their employees
Cons
Pay is a little low for most positions
This job was very rewarding and life changing
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMarch 22, 2017
I worked this job for 31+ years. It was very rewarding and I learned a lot. I was a supervisor to between 1 and 3 homes for developing disabled people. I was on the safety committee, quality assurance committee, fish training committee and I trained CPR and First Aide. Most of the time I worked there it was good but the bigger they got they lost some of the caring where I felt it should be. I worked 24 hours a day 7 days a week as I was on call. The most enjoyable was making a good life for people who had problems. The most difficult was when we lost a client by them passing away. I enjoyed this job but it was very stressful and it was time to find something different.
Pros
Helping people, making a difference in someone's life even the smallest things to make them happy.
Cons
Stress and not enough people to help.
Every day is something new.
Home Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJanuary 11, 2017
There never really is a typical day. Working with people can keep your schedule flexible. In my ten years with MOKA I have learned many things. I have become a better leader, learning to keep a positive perspective and open mind. Actively listening to others point of view and being able to openly discuss situations. Management is open and helpful. My co workers are the greatest and make work easy. The hardest part of my job is the on call piece. I carry a cell phone for work that I have 15 minutes to respond to. Calls can vary from call ins, medical emergencies for individuals, questions from the staff. If there is a call in I have 15 minutes to find coverage or I go in to fill the shift. The best part of the job is working with the individuals and seeing the positive impact that being present creates and my coworkers!
Pros
flexible schedule, great atmosphere
Cons
some job duties are not easy to fulfill when you have small children
loving place to work
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIDecember 15, 2016
the guys are adoreable and love new people. Love taking care of them and giving them a good quality of life. Management is very supportive and there are always oppourtunities to advance. The pay does not match the work you do but the benefits are good and knowing you are helping others makes up for the pay.
Hires for Attitude. Takes great pride in employees and enhancing the lives of the individuals served.
AA (Current Employee) –  West MichiganJuly 14, 2016
Hires for Attitude: They'd rather train you for the position than train you to have a good attitude.

Pros
Flexibility, offers college tuition reimbursement, etc.
Cons
It's a non-profit, so don't expect to get paid like a doctor.
Great place to begin
Home Supervisor and Supported Living Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJuly 13, 2016
a good place to begin to work with individuals with disabilities. A little top heavy with administration but it is a good place to work
Demanding, yet rewarding job
Residential Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Otsego, MIJune 24, 2016
There is not anything typical when you work with people. Every day is different. Every day work includes passing medications, interacting with individuals, and helping them with ADLs. The individuals we help have a variety of mental disabilities, so the hardest part of the job can be dealing with challenging behaviors. But nothing is more rewarding or enjoyable than knowing you're helping them and making a difference in someone's life.
rewarding but very stressful
Home Health Care for Special Needs (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMay 3, 2016
Moka had its upps and downs, it all depended on what kind of day our resedants were having. A good day we laughed and played like a family. I have many fond memories. Bad day we didnt know if we were coming or going
Pros
rewarding
Cons
very stressful
Consumers become family
Resident Support/House shopper (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIApril 18, 2016
Management does not stand by its positions towards fairness with its employees. Staff is out for self and not all do same amount of work as other coworkers
pay is too low, management not straight forward, high turnover
Community Living Support (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMarch 28, 2016
-management not straight forward about what will actually be expected of you
-low pay for what you are expected to do/handle
-extremely physically demanding work environment, would be fine with proper training and background, management doesn't help to fix simple issues
-felt sorry for clients I helped, that I was not trained for the job at hand, expected to do things like tube feed with no medical background
-barely any hours to go around, and when you do work you work strange hours
extremely caring
Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kent County, MIFebruary 11, 2016
MOKA embraces the culture of gentleness in which each employee and individual served is viewed as a unique and valued member of society deserving of love. They believe in the good of everyone and truly seek the best for all. They work with integrity and are very conscientiousness about each decision made as well as how to present information with others. Overall I have had a great experience working with MOKA.
it is the worst place! never place a loved one there!
former employee (Former Employee) –  alleganOctober 23, 2015
They claim to be non-profit but corporate is padding their pockets very well. While the employees work short staff all the time because nobody wants to work there!
Pros
absolutely none
Cons
Wonderful Supervisors and co-workers. An extremely compassionate setting!
Residential Supports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 14, 2015
MOKA was a wonderful agency to work for. The team is very compassionate and supportive with superb supervisors. The agency really seems to care about not only the individuals that are served but also the it's employees. The job can be hectic and can be overwhelming but supervisors are always willing to brainstorm and offer assistance to help you. It is a true "Team" atmosphere.
fun
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIAugust 3, 2015
every day is a new day, new customers, great college program easy schedule not the best for family life and money is ok. I got lots of advice on how to not be so quiet and more outspoken

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MOKA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9