MOKA Employee Reviews in United States

pay is too low, management not straight forward, high turnover
Community Living Support (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMarch 28, 2016
-management not straight forward about what will actually be expected of you
-low pay for what you are expected to do/handle
-extremely physically demanding work environment, would be fine with proper training and background, management doesn't help to fix simple issues
-felt sorry for clients I helped, that I was not trained for the job at hand, expected to do things like tube feed with no medical background
-barely any hours to go around, and when you do work you work strange hours
extremely caring
Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kent County, MIFebruary 11, 2016
MOKA embraces the culture of gentleness in which each employee and individual served is viewed as a unique and valued member of society deserving of love. They believe in the good of everyone and truly seek the best for all. They work with integrity and are very conscientiousness about each decision made as well as how to present information with others. Overall I have had a great experience working with MOKA.
Demanding, yet rewarding job
Residential Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Otsego, MIJune 24, 2016
There is not anything typical when you work with people. Every day is different. Every day work includes passing medications, interacting with individuals, and helping them with ADLs. The individuals we help have a variety of mental disabilities, so the hardest part of the job can be dealing with challenging behaviors. But nothing is more rewarding or enjoyable than knowing you're helping them and making a difference in someone's life.
Hires for Attitude. Takes great pride in employees and enhancing the lives of the individuals served.
AA (Current Employee) –  West MichiganJuly 14, 2016
Hires for Attitude: They'd rather train you for the position than train you to have a good attitude.

Pros
Flexibility, offers college tuition reimbursement, etc.
Cons
It's a non-profit, so don't expect to get paid like a doctor.
rewarding but very stressful
Home Health Care for Special Needs (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMay 3, 2016
Moka had its upps and downs, it all depended on what kind of day our resedants were having. A good day we laughed and played like a family. I have many fond memories. Bad day we didnt know if we were coming or going
Pros
rewarding
Cons
very stressful
Consumers become family
Resident Support/House shopper (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIApril 18, 2016
Management does not stand by its positions towards fairness with its employees. Staff is out for self and not all do same amount of work as other coworkers
Excellent job culture, open communication, and strong business practices.
Community Living Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 8, 2014
MOKA is a very good company, that values open communication, and education in your chosen field. The management is qualified, efficient, and helpful, and they have a good hiring process which typically results in qualified co-workers. Their training process is good, and they are willing to give you extra training and other opportunities to learn and advance your career. The job is rewarding, even if there are difficult or boring days. The company, being non-profit, and in the social work field, does not pay a huge amount, but it is competitive for the field, and the company works to make sure that employees know that they are appreciated in other ways.
Wonderful Supervisors and co-workers. An extremely compassionate setting!
Residential Supports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 14, 2015
MOKA was a wonderful agency to work for. The team is very compassionate and supportive with superb supervisors. The agency really seems to care about not only the individuals that are served but also the it's employees. The job can be hectic and can be overwhelming but supervisors are always willing to brainstorm and offer assistance to help you. It is a true "Team" atmosphere.
it is the worst place! never place a loved one there!
former employee (Former Employee) –  alleganOctober 23, 2015
They claim to be non-profit but corporate is padding their pockets very well. While the employees work short staff all the time because nobody wants to work there!
Pros
absolutely none
Cons
To many problems to stay...
CLS worker (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 24, 2014
**Inconsistent hours/ clients often ended earlier than was scheduled
**No compensation for no call/no shows
**Mileage compensation was very low, and there was a TON of driving involved
**Workplace environment was often hazardous
**Management was not quick to help
**There were a lot of additional expenses that were not compensated (plans included community events/outings and those came out of my pocket)
Pros
i loved the time i got to be with the individuals i served
Cons
i missed having coworkers, i was always on my own
Always a new day
Residential Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIFebruary 25, 2015
Typical Day there isn't a typical day, because its never the same which helps a lot in the career.

I'd say the hardest part of the job is that you are told you can not take things to heart and can not adapt someone like family. But when you work day in and day out and with them more then your own family, it is hard not to treat them like a relative and family.
Low paying with much expected from MOKA
Community Living Support (Current Employee) –  Allegan officeSeptember 16, 2011
I work for MOKA as a Community Living Support provider. I enjoy the individuals I work with, but the company does little to provide support for the CLS worker. The job requires a lot of traveling but only reimburses for miles driven while working with an individuals. I work shifts that range from 2 to 4 hours and if the shifts are not back to back the cost of driving to these shifts comes out of my pocket. The job also requires excessive paper work and there isn't always time to do the paperwork during the shift, so time spent filling out the paper work is often done on my own time w/o compensation from MOKA.
Cons
split shifts
fun
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIAugust 3, 2015
every day is a new day, new customers, great college program easy schedule not the best for family life and money is ok. I got lots of advice on how to not be so quiet and more outspoken
Find another company!
RSS (Current Employee) –  West MichiganJanuary 25, 2014
Work for MOKA if you enjoy coworkers who are always late and don't do their job and a management that knows, but doesn't care because if they followed policy and dismissed these workers, they'd have to work the open shifts.
The goal of the company is wonderful and working with adults with disabilities and helping them to change their lives is AMAZING.... it's the company its self that needs a lot of work and restructuring.
Excellent place of employment but hours are not consistant
Community Living Support Aide (Former Employee) –  Allegan, MIMay 15, 2013
Great people to work with. Management was great with communication and direction. Only down fall is the lack of consistent hours. Hours frequently fluctuate do to individual need and services required.
Pros
positive environment
Cons
lack of consistency
A great place where I have grown a lot with the different people I have come to know.
Residential Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIMarch 25, 2014
I begin my shift by checking in with the staff and finding out how the individuals day went. I then begin bed checks and checking our individuals, making sure they are comfortable, toileting, and readjusting them. I then begin cleaning the home and checking on the individuals periodically. I pass medications and give showers, hygiene, cook meals, and transport them to day programs.
I get along with all staff, communication and acceptance is vital. The hardest part of my job is trying to comfort and care for someone without a voice. I have to really watch body language and all nonverbal cues to gather information. My greatest joy is when I do break through and I make someones day.
Pros
flex-time
Cons
no upward mobility
Enjoy working with the consumers...
RSS (Current Employee) –  OttawaMay 10, 2013
I've worked for this company for approx. 10 years, I've enjoyed working with the consumers and I think that's what has kept me with the company. When I first started, the company valued it's employees and worked hard to deliver on its mission statement. Over the years this organization has lost sight of why there in business and who actually keeps it running. They fail to realize that its the "direct care staff" who keep the consumers living as much as a normal life as possible... you'd think that by all the over turn in staffing, they'd see that they must be failing some where. It starts from the TOP!!
Cons
you top out at 10 dollars, no breaks, corporation has lost sight of it's mission statement!
great place to be
Direct Care Staff/Home Shopper (full-time) (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 25, 2012
Co-workers and management are great. many people are college students, and everyone is very flexible with switching shifts with each other.
MOKA is an excellant company to work for.
Residential Support Staff (Current Employee) –  West Olive, MISeptember 16, 2014
MOKA is an organization that really cares about the individuals with physical and mental disabilities who are being served. Working with these individuals has been highly rewarding and although this type of work can be challenging, the feeling of improving the lives of others is a reward in itself. I have told others that this is both the most challenging position I've ever had as well as the most rewarding.
Rewarding
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 28, 2013
Persons with a disability has always been a rewarding career.

2.6