MOM's Organic Market Employee Reviews

MOM's is great
Naked Lunch Food Server (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 14, 2017
I love everything about MOM's is it a great company to work for. Their mission statement are really what they live by, the management is awesome. I really like and appreciate the people that I work with.
Wonderful job
Produce Clerk/Wellness associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJuly 11, 2017
Flexible and fair hours, book talk meetings, opportunity to change job title and move up in the company, opportunities for volunteer work, benefits including: help paying for a hybrid car, mattress, and compost bin
Stressful but very Informative and Influential
Stocker / Cashier / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 20, 2017
Every day at MOM's would be a new lesson in life. I enjoyed seeking and answering guests questions and I recommend this business to anyone I meet. I did not like the way management communicated with each other and how they dealt with certain issues between the crew. The hardest part of the job to me would have to be establishing a good relationship with management and fellow coworkers. Even though most of us felt like family. My favorite thing was the fact that it helped me improve my diet and lifestyle even more than I already had been. No hard feelings.
Great learning environment little room for growth
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 2, 2017
Mom's is a great atmosphere to work in but the employee structure changes frequently. Sometimes unorganized and those higher up are not always on the same page. Favoritism is another small problem and opportunity to grow within the company stems from this. Hours are not very flexible and schedule changes are not always acknowledged. However, not the worst place to work but not the best either.
Pros
Customers, Special events, and Discount
Cons
Short breaks, Schedule changes are not always aknowledged, and Favoritism
Okay Place to Work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 27, 2017
MOM's has it's ups and downs. Overall it helps if you believe in their mission and culture. They donate a lot of money to great organizations but sometimes it feels as if they are giving too much and not investing enough in their people. Raises are less frequent now (and by that I mean almost non-existent) and are only given once a year. Often times people are promised raises or future job opportunities that never come to fruition. There are definite struggles between the layers of management and the tension is palpable. The central office is sometimes viewed as a hindrance more than a help.
Pros
Free lunch (in stores with Naked Lunch), 30% Discount
Cons
Bad Management, Bad people stay in their jobs for far too long
Great culture
Nutritional Wellness (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 29, 2017
Amazing team to work with. Great culture. Good Health Care and 30% off organic groceries. Pay not competitive and hard to survive on. Good job for a household that does not require a large income or college kids.
Pros
People and culture
Cons
Pay and some customers
Great Company Culture
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDFebruary 27, 2017
Great store. Awesome employee benefits. Great Culture, free lunches (only at some stores). Great management, family oriented culture. They work with your schedules.
Serious but fun work place
Team Member Trainer (Former Employee) –  Merrifield, VAFebruary 1, 2017
My year and a half working at this company would be one I i can not forget. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and working with some of the management staff.
Pros
Free lunches and Free paid trips
Cons
Poor management
Great Coworkers, work on communication
MIT (Manager in Training) (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 27, 2017
Coworkers and culture are amazing. My coworkers (and my 30% discount) are the only reason I still work here! Management, especially upper/regional management needs to work on their communication to stores. Department coordinators are extremely hands off and non-communicative. A total let down from when I started and thought that working for an ethically minded company meant that me and my fellow coworkers would be treated ethically.
Pros
Generous discount
Cons
Constantly Understaffed, Berated by both management and customers
Great interaction with customers, management needs to be changed
Wellness Consultant (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDDecember 8, 2016
Fast paced, learned a lot about supplements, healthy food alternatives, interaction with customers.
Management needs to work on their management skills, co workers are careless, just looking for a paycheck.
Most enjoyable part of the job is to assist and interact with customers every day.
Pros
free staff samples, discount on food
Cons
short breaks, drama, management made up rules
HR is a nightmare
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 24, 2016
The HR department (if you call it that) is terrible. They do not maintain confidentiality and it's "open door" policy. HR is supposed to have the employee's best interest however Mom's does not.They denied even listening about a harassment claim.
Lots of hard work, but it's fun working with hippies
Produce Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 7, 2016
I really love working with all of the beautiful, high quality organic produce. My coworkers feel like family. I learned how to manage a team and what it means to be a buyer. Merchandising, buying, receiving, and retail management are a few skills I will take with me forever.
A nice company with good goals, but your schedule will bounce around
Produce Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 5, 2016
I like the people that work there. The company has nice ecological goals and good incentives for staff, but there is only so much room for upward advancement. My schedule bounced around so much that it is hard to live any kind of life outside of the job and it is hard to get enough sleep. Often they are understaffed, which makes the job more than one person can do, which was pretty hard on my back. They start at $11/hr and have health insurance benefits so it is a good place to start at, but overall was very physically draining.
Pros
Free Vegetarian Lunch
Cons
Understaffed
it's a lifestyle
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 6, 2015
MOMs is great place to work and they believe in helping with the community and the environment. The staff is easy to talk to as well as the customers that come in.
Pros
discounts, free compost, and learn about organic foods
Good job culture
Wellness Department Retailer (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 29, 2015
I enjoyed working for Mom's. I agree with everything that they stand for. One of the main reasons for leaving is because I was not able to maintain my life financially with the hours I was given.

When we were first hired, I was told I would be a full-timer and there would be 2 part-timers. When I checked our schedule, everyone was a full-timer and our hours were cut back.

I understand that there are decisions that need to be made. I fully respect that. I, however, look for consistency in statements and promises made.

It is still a great environment to work with and I do recommend it to anyone who is looking.
A wonderful work environment.
STOCK CLERK (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJuly 16, 2015
I would have to say that over all working at the MOM's store it was a great experience. Working here employees get an opportunity to speak with a large variety of customers.
Pros
30% employee discount
Cons
everyone can not cross train
Horrible place to work!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bryn Mawr, PAOctober 7, 2014
Management sucks, they don't handle problems head on, some of the customers are very snobby and want things done their way, and you have to clean up after adults like their kids. One of my coworkers is very condescending to me on a daily basis. There is nothing enjoyable about working here.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Slave work, managers help the cashiers but don't help other departments, 30 minute breaks, and condescending managers.
Great Perks
Opening Team Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 22, 2014
If you love organic food, this is a great place to work. Like minded people make up this community.
Pros
Lots of unique and hard to find items
Cons
Sometimes pricey
Inspirational, Motivational
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Merrifield, VAJuly 20, 2014
During new employee orientation, I was taught that Mom's Market do not have their priorities as trying to be the best health and wellness store but to restore the earth. Mom's Market trains employees on energy saving alternatives, recycling, and other various ways we are able to help the earth and its environment. Work feels like daily tasks or chores that needs to be done at a second home more than responsibilities at a paying job; our growing Mom's family members are eccentric, Mom's purpose is motivational, and the company's continuing growth is respectable.
Pros
Free lunch, new product sample, employee benefits, employee discount
Cons
More responsibilities, Less manpower
Flexible, easy workplace, but the environment can be stressful and the customers can be rude.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2014
As a cashier at MOM's, I work with the customers all day long. While my duties are essentially easy to comprehend and complete, the store gets busy quickly, and the managers expect the cashiers to be peppy and energetic for the entire shift, almost like robots and not actual people. Additionally, customers can be very rude, some coworkers may be difficult, and the breaks the store gives you are not nearly enough time to recharge from the continuously fast-paced, stressful environment. Overall, MOM's is a decent place to work temporarily, but definitely not something I plan to do in the long-term.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MOM's Organic Market. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2