MOMENTIVE PERFORMANCE MATERIALS Employee Reviews

Changing enviroment
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterford, NYApril 18, 2017
The work environment has changed since the days of GE. Investment, Management and culture are totally different. More attention on leverage the growth.
Pros
Co-worker
Cons
Hard to maintain a healthy life style with the schedules and hours worked
Chemical operator (Current Employee) –  Waterford, NYApril 11, 2017
Hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle with the schedules and hours worked.
Decent pay
I learned how to troubleshoot machines and work in factory setting
pass the buck
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterford, NYMarch 3, 2017
the little guys are the ones hit the hardest and fecal matter rolls down hill
14 men make more money in this company than the 400+ workers that work the hours and breathe the chemicals they work with everyday....
dont work here
Chemical Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Waterford, NYFebruary 2, 2017
the company's majority workforce is on strike because upper management wants to eliminate retirement health care and life insurance, make drastic changes to overtime compensation, nearly eliminate 401k contributions after already eliminating pension and hike up health care cost. Momentive doesn't care about its employees, go here at your own risk. you have been warned.
Cons
health care, long hours, rotating shift, work holidays and weekends, no job security, dangerous
Good pay possible, but...
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterford, NYJanuary 12, 2017
If you work in the right areas (most dangerous), there is great money to be made. But, the hours are long and weekends are mandatory.And the dangers are real. Mostly great people to work with. Every contract with the union, the company wants to take more benefits away. Going downhill fast.
Pros
compensation
Cons
management (high up)
A lot of good people
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Waterford, NYOctober 28, 2016
The work environment is harsh many chemicals and now there taking 401k $ away and forcing us into horrible health care provider
Pros
For now pays well
Cons
They are taking benefits away
Lousy Upper Mgmt with No Clear Vision
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Heights, OHOctober 25, 2016
Fist off, there are a few good things about the company. There are several great people working here. Operators are very knowledgeable about their process and are generally willing to help out when you help them understand what you're asking of them; however, the great people who work there are always overshadowed by the lack of vision, and path forward by the upper management. Not only do they not give promotions (only 1 in the 4 years I was there in my group), but when they say you are performing everything above your grade, but you just need to prove it (why do I need to prove what you just said I'm doing?), it shows the lack of support from managers is "outstanding". They like to keep hiring 'replacement' managers to manage the work of the people, but they don't replace anybody who leaves and continue to expect their employees to pick up the slack without getting anything for it in return. Instead, you get higher health premiums, no increase in vacation, lower 401K matching, a pause in raises for a quarter in order to make the fiscal year balance out (poor executive management if you ask me) and more work.

There is no support into R&D of their products and their sales lack the enthusiasm to talk to potential new customers to see where Momentive's products can possibly work into. Instead, they utilize their scientists to cold-call potential new customers to look for new areas of growth instead of their Sales group giving feedback and ideas of where they should be researching. And when there is a potential new market to go to, there is no funding. It's like it's
  more... all ticking off check-marks on if there is a business model for the product before the actual prototype is in place. That's like putting the cart before the horse.  less
Pros
Some of the people who are there.
Cons
Health Benefits (no PPO plan, and a Very high deductable plan), Decrease in 401K matching, Pause in pay raise to make the Fiscal year balance sheet look better, more responsibility with no incentives, lack of vision from upper management, etc.
Very fun place to work and gain experience
R&D Elastomers Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterford, NYOctober 12, 2016
I only worked at Momentive for a summer, but in that short amount of time I learned a lot. I spent most of my time in a lab in the R&D building at the Waterford location. I had to learn to use the equipment and about the chemistry behind what I was doing.I designed my own experiments and was given almost free range to do what experiments I deemed necessary. The culture is one with a huge focus on safety, and everyone is willing to help each other out, leading to a very enjoyable place to work. The management was very open about what was going on within the company, and where they see the company going in the future. The hardest part of the job was the learning curve in order to figure out what materials you are working with and how they work.
Pros
Weekly Lunch & Learns, friendly environment
Cons
Lots of plant equipment is old, not much investment
The overall impresion is total chaos.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Hebron, OHOctober 10, 2016
The corporate plan is largely hidden from all below executive level. The plant level, at the plant I work at, is very inexperienced, they have trouble making decisions.
Pros
Competitive wages.
Cons
Health insurance will take up a lot of your pay., There is no apparent manufacturing experience in management.
very good place to work
Process Technology Technician (Current Employee) –  Waterford, NYOctober 6, 2016
Very good place to work. The Chemists and engineers I work with are extremely knowledgeable and easy to work with. The technology management team is good as well. My only complaints are there is much labor unrest for the past 8 years. The unrest creates an uneasy and sometimes unproductive environment. I don't have a lot of faith in our upper management due to the fact that we have declared bankruptcy in the past and I don't see a clear path on how to reach their visionary plan.
Pros
very professional
Cons
labor unrest
Quality place to work
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Sistersville, WVJanuary 27, 2016
I loved working at Momentive. I would love to be given a second chance.I have twelve years of distribtion, QC lab, EP Lab and Spec lab experience plus experience with the prduction units.
Fork Truck Operator
Distribution Fork Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Friendly, WVNovember 4, 2015
Safely operated electrical and gasoline fork trucks, to load and unload trucks, transport materials, and haul finished goods into the warehouse. Completed yearly safety courses in hazardous chemicals, MSDS, LOTO, Electrical safety, fall protection, and DOT training for the transportation of hazardous chemicals by highway, air, and sea.
Pros
Good Benefits and Compensation
Cons
shift work
Productive and ever changing daily work environment.
Finishing Production Leader (Current Employee) –  Waterford, NYSeptember 23, 2015
A very performance and customer driven atmosphere. All about efficiency and safety. There is a lot of variety and different areas of the industry to learn throughout the company. The job is very family oriented and has a small town feel. They participate in community projects and stay up on local happenings. Each day brought about a new and exciting challenge.
Pros
Advancement and recognition of job performance
Cons
healthcare premiums
great workplace, limited advancement
Transformational Growth Technician (Current Employee) –  Waterford, NYJuly 1, 2015
great bond with co workers. Days can be shift work or days(7-3) great start to a career. There are many opportunities to learnn new skills. Tough place to continue to raise salary.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities
Amazing Company to work for
Commercialization Associate Intern (Current Employee) –  Strongsville, OHApril 23, 2015
I work 2 days a week and it is a part of my curriculum.
I learned various ways of market research and learned how to use six sigma methodologies in marketing environment.
I was challenged on a weekly basis and i learned a great deal from weekly reviews.
Hardest part of the job was the travel of 50mins but the best part of the job is spending the two days among team members and a very friendly and mentoring boss who helped me learn an extensive amount of knowledge in the silicone based product manufacturing.
excellent place
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Waterford, NYApril 8, 2015
learn a lot here to start off my work career in life. the owner is a great person. equal opportunity guy love this place. the people are great here all smiles and never a dull moment
Pros
owner is a great guy
Cons
Productive and goal oriented employees.
Sr. Specialty Production Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Willoughby, OHMarch 2, 2015
>Able to work independently.
>Ability to work from home when necessary.
> Great goal oriented employees.
> Good communication between management and employees.
> Typical day spent filling sand needs between plants for production, sub-suppliers, purchasing sand requirements, and overseas shipments.
Pros
Focused employees with known expecations.
Cons
Working on better communications with overseas plants to enter correct requriements.
Growth Driven Global Executive
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYFebruary 7, 2015
Lead highly profitable Global SBU with revenues of $400MM representing functional silanes, specialty silicones, silylated polyurethanes and silicone resins. Develop and implement global strategy, portfolio management, product innovation and investment plans, overall business and profit growth. Industry focus: Coatings, Adhesives & Sealants, Tire & Rubber, Wire & Cable, Plastics, Electronics, Fiberglass, Composites, Filler Treatment and Construction.
Equity Investment group changed culture.
Sr. Channel Marketing Manager – Consumer Sealants (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCJanuary 12, 2015
GE was a great place to work! Was developed and provided opportunities to learn.

When acquired by equity investment, layoffs and pay reductions were part of the norm.

First half of my time at Momentive (when GE) was amazing, but the 2nd half under equity investment was difficult.
Pros
Smart people who work hard.
Cons
Equity investment is all about EBITDA limiting innovation.
Manage by fear
Regional Sales Manager, CA, NV (Former Employee) –  San DiegoSeptember 23, 2014
Do not waste you time with this company. Keep looking for your sanity.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MOMENTIVE PERFORMANCE MATERIALS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8