Monroe County Sheriff's Office Employee Reviews

Good bebfits when I worked at the county.
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 16, 2017
Working for the county in my capacity allowed me to work Mon-Fri and an occasional Sat. The Sheriff's Office is a political organization. I am glad for the opportunity to serve the Citizens of Monroe County and New York State, however, the job can be stressful. Deputies in different departments are not paid the same.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Not all deputies are treated or paid the same.
Great Department to make a career
Lead Court Officer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ILMay 31, 2017
I like working for this department and enjoy the men and women with whom I work with. I enjoy the community I work for and enjoy knowing that I am making it a great place to live and raise a family.
Professional
Captain, Training Director (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLMay 19, 2017
Professional organization, Well trained and organized, All officers are trained equally and well equipped to perform their function in a professional and effective manner.
Pros
Training and equipment
Cons
Often life threatening
Stressful but good people to work with
Classification Assistant (Former Employee) –  Key West, FL 33040May 5, 2017
I worked here back in 2013, it was a wonderful experience. The CO's were very friendly. It was difficult getting used to working near the inmates but it was brief. Surprisingly, they were fairly kind(?). Management was decent. This place can be relaxed and stressful, more relaxed on weekends when management wasn't there to blame you for stuff you didn't do. Paper work piled up quick so scanning loads of paper a day was required, on top of the actual work required like filing, filling out paperwork, and other desk job related work.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Short break
Friendly helpful staff. Most professional group of people ive worked with
Externship (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GAApril 19, 2017
My time as an extern was a brilliant experience. The staff were outstandingly professional, friendly, helpful, and they really know what they're doing. They took the time to teach me and counsel me towards career paths I wouldn't have otherwise known existed. I extended in the dispatch in the county jail and with the actual police officers. Everyone was outstanding.
Pros
Brilliant co-workers
Cons
Slow at times.
Negative Environment
NYS CERTIFIED PHYSICAL FITNESS INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 7, 2016
I am leaving the Sherif's Office because I feel like this job does not fit my personality. It is a very negative bureau (courts)and you deal with the dregs of society all day. Deputies want to leave but can't because they are "stuck". I feel like this job is like a merry go-round and it is not for me. My passion is to teach, that is why I became an instructor for the Sheriff's Office, but they do not let me teach other bureaus even though I am just as good if not better and teach the same stuff as other instructors. I am not being utilized and I feel like I need to do something different.
Pros
Good benefits, job security
Cons
negative Deputies, horrible people coming in the building, static, no room for growth.
lack of vision for community and police relations
Deputy Sheriff Road Patrol Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 19, 2016
Being a police officer in today's world has become an ever demanding job with more and more tasks expected of each individual. The number of people that each officer serves grows every year with the roster minimums always staying the same for over 30years. The expectations of officers to be 'productive' in writing traffic tickets meaning more than conducting thorough investigations in this high paced environment has cost the citizen in the quality of service that it deserves. This has also shorted the employee the opportunity to focus on well rounded policing skills that are necessary for a mature department. This lack of vision in what the community needs out of its officers is engrained in the culture of the department and has no foreseeable change in sight.
Pros
serving the community with pride on individual merit
Cons
raising expectations with limited staff and benefit cuts.
Its a a great place to work because it gives you experience in a variety of areas and job is never a dull moment
Jail Officer (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GADecember 15, 2015
I have learned the jail, administrative, and billing while working at the sheriff office. I worked with great people there that enjoyed there job. the hardest part is learning the attitude of different inmates. the enjoyable is learning the jail from the front to back.
Pros
family unit
Cons
short breaks
Professional Law Enforcement Agency
Deputy Sheriff/Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 24, 2015
Awesome Law Enforcement Agency to work for. Progressive training and excellent leadership.
Tremendous opportunities to work in specialized units such as narcotics, traffic, tactical, recruitment, warrants, training, staff services, firearms, airport, special operations and the three various patrol zones.
Pros
An enormous amount of opportunities
Cons
Having the least seniority
Deputy Sheriff, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Key West, FLSeptember 19, 2015
If your looking for an agency with a low crime rate, this is it. Great place to work with new equipment. Management is fair, opportunity for advancement.
Deputy (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, TNAugust 20, 2015
Had a good time there, but politics play a big role in if you get to keep a job or not when another Sheriff is elected. I suppose it is that way at a lot of departments.
Care, Custody and Control of Inmates
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLAugust 9, 2015
Typical day includes but not limiting to supervising meal service, medical calls, problem solving, creating and processing reports, transporting inmates to court or medical appointments. Deputies are trained in the use of firearms, taser and pepper foam; first aid and CPR, training includes coping with difficult people and verbal skills to de-escalate potentially negative situations. and self defense to protect yourself and other inmates. Management is obtained by advancement in rank from line officer to sergeant to lieutenant, etc. Uniforms are provided. As a para-military organization, everyone understands the role they play and limits "passing the buck". The hardest part is keeping your own feeling in check when faced with a situation that may become personal. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see an individual, you may have had a major role in assisting them get out of and stay out of the penal system, out of jail, holding a job and being a productive member of society.
Pros
Job responsibilites are clear cut. Training is extensive. Uniforms provided.
Cons
Deputies stay at the jail while their family evacuates during major storms.
Exciting anf Fun
Airport Security Technician/Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLJune 20, 2015
The sheriff's office was the most professional non-military organization I have ever worked for, Great people, great supervisors.
Productive and Busy
Police Patrol Officer / Detective (Current Employee) –  Monroe, MIMay 20, 2015
Working for this organization has provided growth and fulfillment. The structure allows to be productive, and to generate and foillow up investigations to a completion.
Pros
organizational structure, enviroment
Cons
location, hours
Good Department
Sheriff Deputy (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GAMay 6, 2014
It is ok place to work. Not a lot of turnover so advancement is slow.
Awesome experience in the Criminal Justice
Monroe County Sheriff's Office Internship (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 14, 2013
If you want to get an experience in the Criminal Justice Watching Court Cases, Talking to Guards, and Correctional Officers, knowing how the recruiting processes goes and just understanding the criminal justice process goes this is for you.
Pros
great internship opprotunity
Cons
no real good news
12 Hr. work schedule, only work 14 days out of a month
Okay to contact this Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Key West, FLDecember 1, 2012
Meet a variety of nice tourist, Breath taking views of the ocean from bridges. Monroe County Sheriffs Office provide new vehicles for road patrol every two years. Monroe Sheriffs Office are always looking for motivated young officers to hire.
Pros
opprotunity to meet a variety of tourist
Cons
no comment
Typical Sheriff's Office
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Key Largo, FLNovember 6, 2012
I thoroughly enjoy working with the agency, but have been disillusioned a little by extensive political problems. I have had the honor of serving the community I have lived in for several years.
Cons
lack of extra training oppurtunities
A great place to work, high character co-workers, family atmosphere
Computer Hardware/Software Technician (Former Employee) –  Key West, FLSeptember 3, 2012
Days began answering help desk phone calls, most issues resolved on initial call, either by talking user through issue, or by using remote desktop software, to connect to machine, and resolve. Some issues required me to directly work on machine(mostly hardware issues). I maintained storeroom supplies(hardware, printer cartridges, etc) and distributed them accordingly. Some days we had special projects, such as rewiring(ethernet cables) new offices, or exisiting offices. I also setup new machines(PC's, Thinclients, Printers, etc), and repaired/upgraded older ones. My co-workers, and myself formed an efficient team, that solved issues quickly. Management gave us the tools to do our jobs, and were always there when needed. I really enjoyed helping our users solve their computer issues in an efficient manner, and enjoyed my interactions with them, many of whom I became friends with. The hardest part of my job, was leaving, to move to North Carolina.
Pros
working with high character individuals, being a member of an elite law enforcement agency.
Cons
i have none
Intership
Criminal Justice Intern (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 12, 2012
I adquire experience listening to cases in the court. I also help with the organization on criminal records. It was a great experience
Pros
experience
Cons
no pay