Montana State University Employee Reviews

Great place to gain experience in an emerging field.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTDecember 13, 2016
Montana State University gave me a great chance to become familiar with satellite design, analysis, and operation. The management is always very understanding of the needs of students and accomodates well within reason. While the people who work there tend to fluctuate every semester, there's always a few long term employees who can help guide the newcomers.
Good Position for an Independent Worker
GTA OF ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTNovember 27, 2016
This position is a great job for someone looking to advance their career in teaching, but start out slow and not have too much of a workload. It is not a position for someone who will need a ton of guidance though. Much of the work is independent so what your students get out of your teaching truly shows your effectiveness at the position.

The pay is not great; however, it is enough to sustain a graduate student if they have another part time job.
Pros
Stipend, Teaching Experience, and job satisfation
Cons
Not a lot of control over schedule, low pay
Small town university feel with good research opportunities
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTFebruary 8, 2017
Academic research can be hectic but the support staff at MSU makes it enjoyable. The hardest part of any research job is the failure of a well thought out experiment. The most enjoyable part is the discovery of new ideas and solving problems that were thought to be impossible.
Pros
Academic freedom
Cons
Competitive
Not great for adjuncts
Faculty Lecturer/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTFebruary 3, 2017
Unless you are full-time faculty, there is little security or adequate compensation/benefits. The only way around this is to be creative with teaching for multiple departments.
Pros
Independence
Cons
No benefits for adjuncts
Pretty relaxed, generally speaking
Tutor and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTOctober 15, 2016
The experience depends entirely upon the job within Montana State University. For example, if you work in an office, you might be responsible for the day to day happenings of a department, but if you were a faculty member, you would be responsible for teaching people.
Incredible for students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJanuary 4, 2017
As a student while working at MSU, all employers were professors who were understanding of school schedules and the need to stay on top of my classes and education.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Low salary
Great University. Good Jobs, Low pay on average
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTFebruary 19, 2017
MSU is a great employer to work for. Pay for most positions is low compared to similar employers but that is somewhat of a standard for many jobs/companies in Bozeman/Montana.
Poor graduate student culture
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTSeptember 26, 2016
The chemical engineering department is a good department for undergraduates but the graduate culture is poor. Communication between PI and graduate students isn't very good and the department isn't very collaborative.
Campus Research Work
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTDecember 1, 2016
I enjoyed my time here. I did various jobs through HR and a top-tier research institute, home of the Cooley Laboratory. I learned many lab skills which be helpful for future job endeavors.
Friendly and productive lab partners
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTSeptember 19, 2016
Learned many important lab techniques and skills
Friendly and productive lab partners
Exploring different kinds of microorganisms and creating media for these species are the most enjoyable part of the job
Wonderful/incredibe work environment/great people/well organized
Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTMay 10, 2016
I loved working for Montana State University Youth Sports Camp. The people are wonderful to work with. The children are an absolute joy to be around and safety was highly valued and well managed. I loved this camp and would definitely work for them again.
Pros
Wonderful Crew/Great Kids/Well Organized/Safety highly valued
Cons
Rainy and stormy days
Great working and learning environment
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Havre, MTJuly 9, 2016
Having both been a student and an employee of this institution I can say it is big enough to compete with other large universities, but small enough to know your name and feel important.
Pros
Lots of student / teacher interaction
MT isn't NY or anywhere else for that matter
Curriculum Coordinator/Writer (Current Employee) –  Havre, MTApril 12, 2016
If you're a Type-A personality used to strict deadline and things that happen "in a NY minute" then MT is NOT the place for you. Havre, MT, the location of the university only has 9,000 people in it, and housing is expensive compared to wages for most people.
That said, I worked with the absolute nicest, most giving people of my career at this school, and the current chancellor is the most upstanding individual I have ever had as a boss.
If you don't mind that the nearest Starbucks is a 90 minute drive south of town, and you want genuinely good people to work with, you'll like MSU-Northern.
Pros
Kind people
Cons
remote, slow pace
Interesting work place
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJune 22, 2016
My main duties were to oversee the seed distribution in planting containers for wheat hybrids. The work was monotonous but the schedule was flexible.
Umm... second review??
Montana State Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  MontanaApril 28, 2016
Loved it, not more i can say. This place will always hold a special place in my heart. The workers and management really love to help and support you in every way possible.
Pros
Worked around my Schedules.
Cons
Nothing.
A Wonderful Place to Work
Employee (Current Employee) –  BozemanJune 3, 2016
This job is made better every day by the wonderful people I am surrounded by. I could not ask for a better environment in which to work.
Working with college students was both rewarding and enjoyable.
Residence Life/Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJanuary 5, 2016
My time spent at MSU was filled with daily tasks along with weekly, monthly and yearly projects that involved other sections of Auxiliary Service. Every day was a new experience with co-workers and students which made for an air of excitement.
The hardest part of the job was the summer break and the students where gone. I also had the opportunity to learn different programs for our department and how it all interacted with the college.
Pros
Very much apart of the college atmosphere and the events.
Cons
Paying for parking and getting paid once a month.
Great work atmosphere
Post Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTFebruary 5, 2016
MSU provides a very supportive work environment. While their health plan varies in its coverage, mostly because of trouble negotiating packages at the university level, the Wellness incentive program rewards you for being healthy and proactive.
Great benefits package, and cultural atmosphere
Financial Aid Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTDecember 4, 2015
Red tape and politics are part of the environment.
I really enjoyed working with the students and their parents, assisting them to work through the financial aid maze.
I met some great people there.
Pros
educational opportunities
Msu
DESK CLERK (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTFebruary 5, 2016
Amazing place to start working as a student. The environment in which the work is set up is friendly. The staff who guide the student workers are friendly and very helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Montana State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3