Montana State University Employee Reviews

Typical academic post
Assistant Professor of Accounting (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTNovember 13, 2017
The faculty at MSU-Bozeman are very collegial and supportive. The quality of the students is very high. I was able to balance my duties and responsibilities with my home life schedule.

I left to pursue a post at Fort Lewis College.
unfortunate
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTOctober 31, 2017
This is the best way I can describe this experience. Poor leadership at the top of my program led to life threatening working scenarios and misrepresentation of data. Ultimately leading to the dissolving of the program.
NOT a good time for soft money
Research Professor (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MT 59717October 1, 2017
I took this gig knowing that I would be on soft money a year after beginning. The current administration has severely cut funding - OUCH! I am toast.
Pros
University environment
Cons
Soft money - NO job security
Energetic & Unprepared Pupils
Instructor of Trade & Industry (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTSeptember 25, 2017
The university environment is filled with excited young adults. Many of them have never been away from home and are not experienced in taking care of themselves. So sometimes it was fun and other times it was overwhelming.
Pros
Working with young energetic people
Cons
Very high expectations for the pay
Great experience
Head Manager (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTSeptember 23, 2017
Working with the Montana State basketball team taught me a lot of life long lessons I will take with me for the rest of my life. It was an amazing experience.
Pros
Connections
Cons
Losing record
Productive workplace
PhD Researcher (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTSeptember 9, 2017
Montana State University's Department of Chemical Engineering is great and highly recommended. The professors are helpful, friendly, intelligent and have a great experience in a field of chemical manufacturing and petroleum refining, biofilms, biofuels, materials and microelectronics, pharmaceutical manufacturing and delivery, food processing.
Healthy workplace culture
Grants ruled the work
Research Associate III (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MontansAugust 16, 2017
'Stuck between a rock and a hard place' Challenge to balance working essentially for the government with all the state dictated rules and the flexibility of the science. Ended up working many weekends, holidays etc. but not able to be compensated for it. Long time ago, things may have changed.
Pros
Good group of people to work with, lots of science discoveries
Cons
projects could end artificially due to funding-frustrating
Good Environment growth greed could affect this
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTAugust 16, 2017
Great place to work if you use it for supplemental income.
The departments are generally very vibrant, supportive and have overall great people. Growth is not a positive thing in our area, as it removes the "mid-size" safe and involved learning environment. Students are crammed into spaces and contract faculty often have no offices to assist students. On the positive LOTS of tools and resources for student success. Negative: you have to either have a second job or shop at the food bank to survive -- or make quality of life sacrifices.
benefits
Cons
salary, an no civic leave
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTAugust 14, 2017
Although a competitive environment, it is a great place to work. Lots of good people and good energy. You get to work with a lot of people in all different fields.
A learning institution; student and team oriented.
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTAugust 3, 2017
I enjoyed and enjoy teaching and MSU was just that: enjoyable. I am not at advocate of tenure and did not pursue it thus I did not stay. I was asked to go for tenure and assured I would be tenured.
Pros
Flexibility, being creative, writing grants, colleagues.
Cons
None that come to mind.
Over Promised Under Delivered
Director of Compliance (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJuly 13, 2017
Montana State Athletics is not a place that I would recommend to anyone wishing to advance their career in athletics. There were significant promises made to individuals that were not seen through. Those promises were significant and drastically affected individuals lives. Many of the individuals that work in the athletic department are amazing, but when it comes to management, I have never been around a more poorly run organization. As described by a co-worker, MSU Athletics breeds doubt in their people and loses quality individuals without even batting an eye. Compensation is embarrassing for individuals who have not been there 20+ years or senior staff.

Bozeman is FANTASTIC. Wonderful community!
Pros
Bozeman, work/life balance
Cons
Poor management, no room to grow, not encouraged to develop professionally, poor communication
The laboratory that I worked in was for a summer opportunity that I got through school
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJune 26, 2017
The lab that I worked in was not a place that wanted someone else there to help them. I rarely worked because my supervisor was never there. I learned nothing while I was there it was supposed to help me decide what I wanted to do for a future job and I have realized that being a scientist is not for me
Pros
lot of time off
Cons
no learning
Great
students, faculty, staff (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJune 24, 2017
I started the tennis program at Montana State University. I worked with staff, student and educators to help them improve their tennis. It was a very rewarding experience.
great faculty and great environment
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJune 22, 2017
great faculty and great environment lots of fun to work for. Enjoyed the skiing and local restaurants. Made some great friends for life in the lab. Fun
Great Education
Indoor Sports Facility Steering Committee Chairman (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJune 18, 2017
This is a great school to get an education along with many learning opportunities. The sports facility steering committee was a great learning opportunity afforded to me by Montana State.
Efficient and Fun
Economics Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJune 12, 2017
People are good at what they do, and it is a great office culture. I learned a lot of new skills, and made life long friends. The research assistant position was a very enjoyable job.
Pros
New Skills
Cons
Pay
Find the right fit.
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTJune 8, 2017
Every department, college and program is different. Get into a good culture and you will get the support and encouragement that will make everyday a joy to come to work.
Pros
Working with students and a great faculty (in the right college)!
Cons
You pretty much have to move to different positions to get raises or promotions.
This is not a company, its a school
Student (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTMay 23, 2017
I am adding one hundred and 50 characters because your program won''t let me skip through reviews for companies that aren't companies but rather a university.
Pros
Great student life
Cons
You pay to be there
Cryogenic spectroscopist
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bozeman MtMay 9, 2017
I was instantly brought into am ultra-fast spectroscopic lab my freshman year of school. I knew very little about quantum mechanics. After four years of research probing kinetics and dynamics of DNA in solid state configuration, I began to feel very comfortable with high levels of math, precision, and attention to detail. I was paid as a freshman and beyond, to help build up the lab environment. I worked to help organize components and processing for the post- doctorates, graduate, and senior level undergrads that were in the group. I was giving the task of organizing the cryogenic set-up for the pump-probe, TCSPS, UV-Vis, FTIR experiments. At 77° K, I would statistically evaluate properties of DNA nucleotides that did not occupy room temperature kinetics and dynamics. Therefore, based on the rapid ability of DNA nucleotides to relax in a matter of femtoseconds from an excited state; in a solid state we could observe the relaxation time from the excited state to the singlet state in the order of multiple magnitudes. It was fun.
Pros
Awesome, go skiing
Cons
Distance
Graduate School is tough
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTMay 4, 2017
Graduate school isn't easy but MSU is a great place to make it easier. Faculty have been supportive and helpful. Fellow students are smart and thoughtful and great collaborators. Unique opportunities to work at the Center for Biofilm Engineering. And all the biking, hiking, skiing, brewery touring you could want. And the Museum of the Rockies has the best dinosaur exhibit and mostly specimens from Montana.

Pay can be low and future opportunities to stay in the area are limited unless you want to take an extreme pay cut.
Pros
Great people, outdoor pursuits out the back door
Cons
pay is lower than many similar universities