Montclair State University Employee Reviews

positive environment working aroundvstudents
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 20, 2018
Job was seasonal. Students very pleasant to work around. Ability to work with students and listening to their goals in life. I always encouraged them to stay in school because if not life would be hard. Helped a lot of students with their social problems and how to deal with it. Very fun place to work at times. On lunch and breaks you was able to see some of the students perform in plays.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
healthcare not that great
Supervisor of Bike Rental Services (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 15, 2018
The management at at the university recreation center is a little lax. They use providing extra responsibility to student workers as an excuse to do less work themselves.
productive workplace with a lounge area
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 14, 2018
the job was fun and easy going.
a typical day at work involved signing in guests
taking phone calls and doing lockouts
hardest part of the job was doing the overnights
Great Learning Experience
Professional Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 31, 2018
It was a great learning experience being employed at the University. Always exciting things happening here, students at this school are hardworking and dedicated.
Great Department
Adjunct Professor of Biology (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 24, 2018
I worked as an Adjunct Professor in the Biology Department at Montclair State University. It was a great place to work, and I was able to experience teaching at the collegiate level.
Pros
great staff
Cons
late classes
love being an adjunct!
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 14, 2018
Working at MSU has been a dream! I wish I could work there more. Adjuncts have great ownership over their course content and classroom management. My department has given me the liberty to create and edit my courses as I see fit and continue to develop as the years go on.
The students can be jaded at times and hard to engage but if you can connect with them and reason with them (look i was a student once too, i know its a drag to take quizzes, etc), they tend to be receptive and get their work done for the most part. That's part of your job as a teacher! It's a challenge but rewarding to have students tell you how interesting your course is and how much they learned, etc.
just why
Instructor, New Student Seminar GNED 199 (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 11, 2018
i hate this
i hate your site
i hate this process
you have NO credibility
this is beyond asinine
these were not even jobs
graduate positions are not jobs
why wouldn't you let me enter some in
Research Based Position
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 8, 2018
Every position is different on campus and which department one is working in. I was a graduate assistant and my typical day consisted of working with professional faculty conducting research.
Workplace that is dedicated to the growth of it's employees.
Supervisor/Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Falls, NJJanuary 7, 2018
My experiences working at Montclair State have catalyzed my personal development. The emphasis in utilization of communication skills has prepared me for future endeavors in education and fundraising.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Part Time for Students
Typical day at work
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 3, 2018
It was a very good job. It was not very demanding. It is like a receptionist job. I had to answer phones and type contracts it was not very demanding.
Pros
Flexible hours
Productive and Fun
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJDecember 28, 2017
It is a great environment to work in and the schedule is flexible. The classes are great and the technology is up to date. The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and seeing your students succeed.
Great relaxed environment with great coworkers
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJDecember 14, 2017
There are stressful times here like with any other job, but the people and the benefits far outweigh any negative aspects. The supervisory chain is well defined and I have had nothing but positive experiences when addressing any issues.
Family-like working atmosphere
Grants Accountant and Reporting Analyst (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJDecember 4, 2017
Staff is friendly, helpful and cooperative. Managers are discreet and professional, providing all necessary tools that are required in order to complete needed tasks.
Not the best assistantship but better than nothing
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJNovember 24, 2017
You only get an annual stipend of $7000 per year but you also get full tuition remission so that's a plus. The parking situation is an absolute mess which is a downside.
Pros
Tuition remission
Cons
No discount on parking, not allowed to park in faculty/staff lots
Productive Work Place
Technology Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJNovember 19, 2017
Working for Montclair State University has provided me with a numerous amount of opportunities so that I can further my career in the technology field
Mixed reviews
Professor (FT) (Current Employee) –  Upper Montclair, NJNovember 16, 2017
The University has changed a great deal over the years. I believe the elimination of SATs has effected the admission standards adversely.
The university operates within the context of management hierarchy that has become increasingly corporate. This can affect faculty morale in a negative way.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with students who are enthusiastic about learning. The least enjoyable part of the job is working with students who do not truly care about learning and uncommunicative management at various levels.
Ok place to work
Mechanical Equipment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJNovember 15, 2017
Repairs were expected in a timely manner , however parts and equipment that were ordered were not paid for or okayed and delayed project which made the issue escalate to more expensive repairs.
Great benefits, stressful environment
Benefit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJNovember 12, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with customers. The least enjoyable part of this job is the stressful workplace culture. Jobs are annual contracts so you are always living with the fear of your contract not being renewed
Balanced and Professional workplace
Women's Basketball Student Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJNovember 1, 2017
Great place for young students to earn some cash. The management is flexible with letting employee transfer within departments. Allowing room for growth within different departments. While great environment for an adult to start a career.
Short-term. Fast paced. No sleep.
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJOctober 31, 2017
Typical Work day: A lot of office errands and busy work.

What I learned: Close to nothing.

Management: boss was amazing.

workplace culture: regular 9-5, slow paced, dreadful.

hardest part of the job: none really, just got tired of sitting inside all day.

most enjoyable part of the job: lunches
Pros
Boss was great
Cons
Short-breaks, no benefits