Montclair State University Employee Reviews in United States

It was a great learning experience.
Professional Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  health centerSeptember 9, 2015
I enjoyed my time here at the health center. I learned a lot of things here. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Most things I did where challenging and rewarding. I was challenged plenty and I'm grateful for that. I'm leaving because its time to start fresh. Its time for a new start.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
no room for job advancement
great experience
Resident Assistant & Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 6, 2016
-work hard for your money
-prepares you for the real world
-very professional
-great team work skills
-great career development
A lot of autonomy and supportive staff
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 19, 2016
Staff and management are very supportive and helpful in providing supplies and giving advice about teaching or difficulties with students. A lot of autonomy in coming up with lesson plans, choosing a textbook, and which material to focus on. The most challenging and rewarding part of the job is getting students engaged in the material. A typical day in this position involves reading the material, preparing a lesson plan, lecturing to students, and having them engage in class discussion and activities.
Pros
autonomy, flexibility
Cons
pay
Strict work place but beneficial if interested in the Arts
Usher (Former Employee) –  Kasser TheatreDecember 15, 2015
I had to set up tables, chairs, ect. for the public to use before opening the house doors for the show. Utilized my skills to greet and help patrons to their seats. Very strict management
Pros
See free performances
Cons
no job security
Productive and centered on the advancement of awareness on child advocacy and policy
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 26, 2016
A typical day at work is fun, productive and reasonable. My co-workers are great and lively about this field. The hardiest part of my job is not being able to work directly with children but the most enjoyable part is shedding light to professors and students to bring forth awareness about the child welfare system due to personal experience.
Pros
flexible and ajustable to a full-time student schedule
Cons
It's only a year long job
Enjoy working with others
FOOD SERVICE/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 24, 2016
A typical day at work u learn something new everyday meeting new people helping out others and having good communication skills with others.Working wit my supervisor and coworkers can be challlenging but its fun cause u always have someone there to help out..My opinion the hardest part of the job is when u have a coworker call out and u have to pick up there work also and the fun part is u get it done without no problem..
Productive and interesting
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 26, 2016
I have done many jobs at the University. Every job involves the word community. always a friendly environment. The most enjoyable part about working here is all the people you will come across and meet. Everyday is a new day and you will learn a lot dealing with different personality types coming from different people. You will learn to adapt to your surroundings.
A top-tier public university...
ADJUNCT ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Upper Montclair, NJ 07043September 9, 2015
MSU / SUNJ is a top-tier university which offers numerous major pathways of study toward various successful careers !

This university provided me with a foundation in higher education not only with content knowledge, but with excellent research skills and teaching / instructional practices which enabled later success in a highly-ranked law school.
Pros
Offers competitive Teaching Graduate Assistantships
Cons
None !
Early days- but I learned a lot.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 25, 2016
This was a teacher assistant position offered by advisor.

I aided the professor with grading papers, holding office hours, and trying to help any students in need.
Pros
Very informative, meet a lot of different students.
Cons
Grading papers.
Productive and Fun
Assistant Director of Residence Life (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 31, 2016
MSU is a great place to work in higher education and student affairs. Those whom you work have great personalities and look forward to collaborating and making the student experience worthwhile!
Pros
Great supervisor, interdepartmental collaboration
Cons
Some times people's inability to make a stance

Want to know more about Montclair State University?

Ask a question
A growing institution improving over time
Director of Sponsored Programs (Former Employee) –  Upper Montclair, NJJanuary 16, 2016
The academic programs in many areas are outstanding, and enrollment is growing.

Support staff for my office was excellent and adequate. Physical conditions were excellent.

Morale is very dependent upon the supervision.
Pros
Many outstanding faculty
Cons
Internal squabbles among vice presidents
Underdog school
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 22, 2016
Working with students at MSU is wonderful. Every student works hard to advance themselves above and beyond. The faculty at the school are exceptional on guiding me to better communicate with students who are struggling.
work with student kind of fun
Sodexho, Upper Montclair Red Hawk Diner Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NJ MontclairAugust 21, 2015
• Supervisor Administrator for the EXECU/TOUCH Point of Sale at Montclair State University with the following duties and responsibilities, participation with the head of the department to :
• Installed and updated operating system and software programs for the system of EXECU/TOUCH
• Updating inventory control.
• Customer Service Associate .
• Handled complaints as an intermediary between customers and management
a) Managed operation and staff.
b) Oversee Customer service, food preparation, sanitation & safety.
c) Maintained all equipment.
Pros
free lunch and drink all the day
Cons
we have one hour break
Day at Work
Girls Basketball Manager (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 15, 2016
I love working for Montclair State University basketball team because they get you involved in everywhere because they are about team work.
Pros
Free games
Cons
N/A
great place to work and learn
Interim Head Coach Men's Basketball (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJFebruary 9, 2016
great place to work , great co-workers great students , Beautiful campus great location , Warm and friendly place to work
Montclair State University
Wish to remain anonymous (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 8, 2015
Great benefits for full-time employees!
Excellent work/life balance! 35 hour work week (unless in IT, then the job demands can extend past these hours for programmers).

Below Director level one is required to be in the Union and approximately 3% of gross salary goes towards Union. 5% if one chooses to be a full-fledged member. Thanks to the Union you get top of the line health insurance and 20-22 days vacation plus 12 sick days (don't quote me because this can always change).

Expansion: The University has built/is building 3 new buildings, which will open in Fall 2015. And there are talks of adding 2 additional new buildings. The campus is beautiful!

US News ranking is fair.

The University is taking many steps to increase applications. They have eliminated the requirement of SAT's citing that the statistics show that a student's gpa is a better predictor of a student's performance and success than SAT's.

They are also in the process of opening to the common application.

On the technology front they are in the process of implementing an unprecedented best-of-breed Enterprise wide application upgrade. This is causing many changes and a lot of uprooting, but after the transition period it will be even better. New skill sets accross the pillars of the University are now in demand, so keep your eyes open for Peoplesoft Finance positions and IT, Workday Human Resources and IT, and Banner (and others) for Campus Life and Student services.

Best of luck on your job search!
Pros
Benefits! Work/Life balance! Expanding environment!
Cons
In 2015-2017 there is a major period of transition, which can have it's challenges and ongoing changes.
Growing University
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJNovember 23, 2015
Growing University. I was a contract employee of a different organization working on-site there but was interested in working for the university in the future.
participating in graduate conferences
Graduate Student Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJOctober 30, 2015
Very nice place to work with. Learned and gained lot of experience in dealing with toughest challenges.fun working. Very good team mates.
Decent job
Student Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJSeptember 28, 2015
A typical day at work is assisting students and staff with any issues that they may encounter while in the computer lab. Our job is simply to provide the best customer service possible.

Other duties include troubleshooting printers, answering phones, filling paper trays etc.
work life balace.low career advancement
Lead Developer (Current Employee) –  montclair ,NJJuly 15, 2013
work life balance is good.Nice collegues and also the benefits are good if you are full time even though the take home salary is lower compared to industry. The work pressure is literally nil. This is infact a deterrent in the long run as you turn redundant and out of touch with the industry changes.
Cons
no work pressure, lack of cutting edge technology exposure

4.3