Montclair State University Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun
Assistant Director of Residence Life (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJJanuary 31, 2016
MSU is a great place to work in higher education and student affairs. Those whom you work have great personalities and look forward to collaborating and making the student experience worthwhile!
Pros
Great supervisor, interdepartmental collaboration
Cons
Some times people's inability to make a stance
A growing institution improving over time
Director of Sponsored Programs (Former Employee) –  Upper Montclair, NJJanuary 16, 2016
The academic programs in many areas are outstanding, and enrollment is growing.

Support staff for my office was excellent and adequate. Physical conditions were excellent.

Morale is very dependent upon the supervision.
Pros
Many outstanding faculty
Cons
Internal squabbles among vice presidents
Strict work place but beneficial if interested in the Arts
Usher (Former Employee) –  Kasser TheatreDecember 15, 2015
I had to set up tables, chairs, ect. for the public to use before opening the house doors for the show. Utilized my skills to greet and help patrons to their seats. Very strict management
Pros
See free performances
Cons
no job security
Growing University
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJNovember 23, 2015
Growing University. I was a contract employee of a different organization working on-site there but was interested in working for the university in the future.
participating in graduate conferences
Graduate Student Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJOctober 30, 2015
Very nice place to work with. Learned and gained lot of experience in dealing with toughest challenges.fun working. Very good team mates.
Decent job
Student Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJSeptember 28, 2015
A typical day at work is assisting students and staff with any issues that they may encounter while in the computer lab. Our job is simply to provide the best customer service possible.

Other duties include troubleshooting printers, answering phones, filling paper trays etc.
Assistant Researcher
Assistant Researcher (Former Employee) –  Montclair NJSeptember 18, 2015
I worked here as a student, this was my first step in gaining professional programming experience. I was able to work remotely and was compensated well.
It was a great learning experience.
Professional Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  health centerSeptember 9, 2015
I enjoyed my time here at the health center. I learned a lot of things here. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Most things I did where challenging and rewarding. I was challenged plenty and I'm grateful for that. I'm leaving because its time to start fresh. Its time for a new start.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
no room for job advancement
A top-tier public university...
ADJUNCT ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Upper Montclair, NJ 07043September 9, 2015
MSU / SUNJ is a top-tier university which offers numerous major pathways of study toward various successful careers !

This university provided me with a foundation in higher education not only with content knowledge, but with excellent research skills and teaching / instructional practices which enabled later success in a highly-ranked law school.
Pros
Offers competitive Teaching Graduate Assistantships
Cons
None !
work with student kind of fun
Sodexho, Upper Montclair Red Hawk Diner Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NJ MontclairAugust 21, 2015
• Supervisor Administrator for the EXECU/TOUCH Point of Sale at Montclair State University with the following duties and responsibilities, participation with the head of the department to :
• Installed and updated operating system and software programs for the system of EXECU/TOUCH
• Updating inventory control.
• Customer Service Associate .
• Handled complaints as an intermediary between customers and management
a) Managed operation and staff.
b) Oversee Customer service, food preparation, sanitation & safety.
c) Maintained all equipment.
Pros
free lunch and drink all the day
Cons
we have one hour break

Want to know more about Montclair State University?

Ask a question
Excellent atmosphere with awesome people!!
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJAugust 3, 2015
This is an excellent place to work. The team is cohesive and friendly and management is extremely supportive. The ability to learn and grow is ever present,
Pros
Great group of people
Research Assistant, Department of Biology (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJJuly 15, 2015
Great learning environment. Productive and fun. Staff and students are great to work with and are always there to help.
hard worker
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJJuly 1, 2015
• Maintained clean restrooms for students and facility (Male and Female)
• Trash removal
• Swept and mopped floors
• Assisted with keeping calls rooms and facility office clean
• Maintain the physical integrity of the storage facility
• Adhered to all safety rules and regulations
Innovative, Dynamic, and Challenging
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJJune 10, 2015
My duties included work toward my masters in Industrial & Organizational Psychology. The project managers and professors exceeded my expectations and I was truly inspired by being in their presence.
A very productive job and everyone is very nice.
Assistant Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJMay 28, 2015
I normally come into work and greet and answer any questions any one may have. If they need directions some where on campus I can tell them where to go, if they lost something they can see if anyone dropped the item off at the desk and etc. I learned how to set up media equipment such as speakers and microphones for events in the student center. The supervisor is an amazing woman and so are my coworkers. They are nice, funny and they are very welcoming. This job is not difficult and the most enjoyable part is working with wonderful people.
Calm work environment with minimal socializing
Student Assistant in the Political Science Dept (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJMay 2, 2015
The job is all types of office work. I usually make copies, scan papers, type papers, and answer the phone. The amount of work expected of me was reasonable.
Good environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 28, 2015
I worked at MSU for over 3 years as a research assistant. It's a good place to work at with friendly people. There is a scope to learn new things.
great place to acquire office skills
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 21, 2015
a regular day as a student worker included filing documents and organizing them. it was a pleasure working with the staff they were always very caring about their student workers.
Montclair State University
Wish to remain anonymous (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 8, 2015
Great benefits for full-time employees!
Excellent work/life balance! 35 hour work week (unless in IT, then the job demands can extend past these hours for programmers).

Below Director level one is required to be in the Union and approximately 3% of gross salary goes towards Union. 5% if one chooses to be a full-fledged member. Thanks to the Union you get top of the line health insurance and 20-22 days vacation plus 12 sick days (don't quote me because this can always change).

Expansion: The University has built/is building 3 new buildings, which will open in Fall 2015. And there are talks of adding 2 additional new buildings. The campus is beautiful!

US News ranking is fair.

The University is taking many steps to increase applications. They have eliminated the requirement of SAT's citing that the statistics show that a student's gpa is a better predictor of a student's performance and success than SAT's.

They are also in the process of opening to the common application.

On the technology front they are in the process of implementing an unprecedented best-of-breed Enterprise wide application upgrade. This is causing many changes and a lot of uprooting, but after the transition period it will be even better. New skill sets accross the pillars of the University are now in demand, so keep your eyes open for Peoplesoft Finance positions and IT, Workday Human Resources and IT, and Banner (and others) for Campus Life and Student services.

Best of luck on your job search!
Pros
Benefits! Work/Life balance! Expanding environment!
Cons
In 2015-2017 there is a major period of transition, which can have it's challenges and ongoing changes.
Adequate
Accounting Tutor (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJMarch 10, 2015
A good place to work and assist accounting students. Good natured staff. Provides for a good working environment that allows me to perform well in my job there.

4.3