Monterey Bay Aquarium Employee Reviews

Inspiring aquarium with an incredible, energetic staff
Guest Experience Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAApril 24, 2017
I love being surrounded by a staff and aquarium full of passionate environmentalist, educators, and learners. It is inspiring to be able to absorb knowledge every day while exciting guests to care for our oceans and conserve the environment.
Great people
Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAApril 21, 2017
Company hires great people who do great work, but unfortunately there is often a lot of red tape and office politics to deal with. Upper management doesn't do enough to know what their teams and individual employees are working on.
Great place
Cashier/Sales Associate cafe assistant (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAMarch 28, 2017
Awesome place to work in, great atmosphere awesome people, patient co workers, they teach you to be a team player and be part a a great wholesome family
Interesting
Manager (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CADecember 8, 2016
I titled my review "interesting" simply because my experience working at the aquarium was just that, interesting, and not in a good way. In my opinion and observation, most of the "executive" managers, (AKA; execs), are really phony people. They come across as happy and friendly, but underneath their happy, friendly faces, are conceited, holier than thou, condescenders, who think holding a "prestigious title", entitles them to intimidate subordinates through constant cynical criticism and a "Lay out the red carpet and be ready to kiss my ring" attitude. Also, (and again, just my opinion and observation), the "execs" are jealous of each other, in that there is a constant "tug of war" to see who holds the highest title and has the most authority. (Embarrassing for the execs, because all department heads see this selfish and childish behavior, talk and laugh about it amoungst themselves, and behind the execs' backs.) It's also pretty obvious, that department heads are quick to jump on any one exec's bandwagon, to insure a spot in the inner circle, as well as
thinking they will keep their jobs, (at least for one more day).

On a lighter and more positive note, I would like to add, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, in itself, is a spectacular place to visit. The exhibits, the breathtaking views, and not to mention, the incredible scientific research and developement projects, and all that they entail to make The Monterey Bay Aquarium and our Marine Sanctuary, (undeniably and uncontested), the BEST in the world!

To sum it up, the aquarium IS a beautiful place to work. As for
  more... the execs, remember this..nothing is forever, ...and no one is indispensable.  less
Pros
An undeniably beautiful place to visit and work.
Cons
Executive management need "How to treat subordinates with respect 101" training, and "No, I'm not all that, I just think I am", training, too!
Fun workplace and they take care of employees
Lead Proprietary Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Cannery Row, CANovember 7, 2016
Every day is something new. Everyone wants to have a good time when they work here. There is always room for advancement and great benefits. You develop great communications skills. Fellow co workers are always willing to help you learn something new.
mbay review
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Amazing place to work, great culture, great mission, great people. Really care about your lifestyle and personal development!
Great until the end
Senior System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJuly 6, 2015
The aquarium was a great place to work and I learned a wide variety of skills during my time there. Co-workers were great and I enjoyed my work. The hardest part was leaving before I was ready.
Amazing environment and great people
Guide (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAJune 24, 2015
The Aquarium features an amazing work environment with great people all over. The management as well as co-workers are all top-notch. Although the work may be fast paced at some times, it is still fun engaging with guests and teaching marine sciences to others.
Pros
Discounts on Cannery Row, Free entry to Aquarium
A Great Learning Enviornment
Digital Media Intern /Post Production (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAJanuary 29, 2015
I have learned so much during my time at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I have expanded on many skills, as well as gained new ones.
Great place to work, lots of new experiences, and a world class aquarium. great enviornment
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJuly 14, 2014
Work typically began at 5:30, and ended after midnight, with overtime being a normal requirement. While at the aquarium, I learned how to lead a team of servers, work closely with upper management, and gain valuable experience as a bar tender.
The most challenging part of this job would be the set up and break down of the function. all tables, chairs and other accoutrements were set up before each function, and removed afterwards, which required a lot of heavy lifting. By far the most enjoyable part of this job was the atmosphere. Getting paid to work in possibly the most beautiful and modern aquarium in the world was a delight.
Pros
free lunch, great atmosphere, great management
Cons
lots of heavy lifting
Fun Place
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAOctober 16, 2013
I really liked working here, its was fast pace and always something different going on. As well as the great coworkers. I would have kept working here but I really wanted to just go to school full time.
Pros
Free Passes
Cons
Conflicted with school hours
Fun
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAMarch 4, 2013
Fun environment to work in. Learn to appreciate the oceans and how you can help save them.
exciting enviornment, learning, meeting new people from around the world.
Entrance Host/Admissions (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJuly 30, 2012
Day starts an hour prior to opening preparing facility for guests. Instructions given regarding any exhibit or programming changes. As guests enter engaged guests with quick information tips about their visit or answer any other questions presented by guests. Scan advance tickets. Direct groups to group meeting places. Assist lost parties or those requesting medical assistance.
Pros
great free programs, feeding animals, free flu shots.
work there was very good.
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJune 18, 2012
A typical day working there was good you get to see all the things that go on in keeting the placed going for the Aquarium. I learned more about the sea than I ever did before.Management for it part was fair with every one.Co-workers were good to every that we work with. The hardest part of the job was walking all day on rocks. The best part of the job was learnking every thing about the fist and sea.
Wonderful ocean environment
Volunteer Guide (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAFebruary 28, 2012
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is an excellent place to volunteer or work, especially if you have a love for the ocean and the creatures. To be a volunteer guide, there is training, testing, and a graduation if you make it through everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Monterey Bay Aquarium. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3