Montgomery County Government Employee Reviews in United States

Rewarding work in Public Health
Administrative Assistant, CNA, CMT (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg MarylandOctober 2, 2015
Everyday we are providing services to an economically challenged community. I bridge clients with services they qualify for, I follow up with monthly visits and check ins. I provide direct patient care, as well as the office management for billing insurance companies or contacting Medicaid, and working with the Montgomery County Government sliding fee scale. I work directly with the providers with patient charting, scanning, electronic health records, statistics, patient referral tracking, scheduling, and all tasks associated with clinic management through NextGen software. It is a fast paced work environment, and the requirements for billing and electronic recording change monthly, you have to keep up with new tasks. I do enjoy assisting the providers and the patients we see with a healthy, friendly, successful work environment.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Competitive for Advancing
Gov't employees have job security
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 25, 2015
I find that the employees run the department and not management. Management doesn't seem overly concerned about non-productive employees. The hardest part of the job is being a productive and efficient worker and watching others not being counseled on their lack of productivity.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Lack of professionalism
Little room for advancement
4-H Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXJuly 19, 2015
Little room for advancement due to low turnover. Relatively fun job, but there is just no room to move ahead. Steady hours benefits are fine.
Productive and learning experience
Data Analysis and Schedule (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 15, 2015
A typical day work starts off with a overview of the time line for route and schedule production. Putting together personal schedule and timesheets. I learned the computer system Trapeze and Ocrab. Management is good with helping and teaching other to learn the what and how to do things in a systematic way to ensure that all things compile with all DOT rules. The most thing I enjoy about my job is that it a ongoing learning job; once you think you learn something and you got it something new comes out and you learn more.
Pros
Riding Montgomery County Ride On bus Free
Cons
over worked
Much flexibility in work schedule
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 17, 2014
There is great flexibility in the schedule one wants to work. This may be different for employees working specific shifts such as police, firefighters, correction officers, etc...
Compensation and benefit are average, proportionate to education, experience, and skills. There is a good sense of stability and job security as long as the economy is good (like any other employer). Advancement is limited by the level of operation of the department, and because people in local government tend to stay in their jobs until retirement.
Pros
operations are large enough to provide great experience.
Cons
promotion opportunities are limited.
Rewarding job helping and working with young people
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Montgomery county MarylandNovember 18, 2015
Direct traffic and help children cross the street safely twice a day
How to interact with a wide variety of people and manage difficult situations
the management was good
we worked alone and only occasionally interacted with other guards at meetings etc
it was not hard but could be dangerous
the kids, parents and drivers appreation
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Hot or cold weather
Energectic, great work place, experience
Program Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 27, 2016
Montgomery County Government is a fast paced work place. You learn more than you expect when first hire. The staff and management are fantastic and great to work with. I am relocating due to family and will miss working with management and colleagues.
productive and fun place to work
Public Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 6, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job was relating to the community, I met a lot of life long friends and was trained on a level that far exceeded my own expectations.
Pros
loved the freedom the job provided
Cons
coworkers where not on my level of working with the public
Love helping good people and putting away bad guys
Police/EMS/Fire Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Lower Providence, PAJuly 9, 2014
If you like non stop action and days of boredom, then being a dispatcher is for you. I work 12 hour days from two days one week and then five days the next. I have learned not only to multi-task but to handle three sometimes even five things at once without getting anybody killed. As far as management goes, you need to be on location for five years. I have this, however, my bosses have been working here for over 20 years. I love my co-workers! We spend more time here than with our own families. Not everyone gets a long but work place does. The most enjoyable part of my day is saving a life, it doesn't matter if its a good guy or bad guy. Knowing that they can live another day is all that matters.
Pros
short work week, lots of overtime, job security
Cons
no raises in years, short breaks, very stressful
Regulated government office with restricted flexibility; my supervisor is super and my coworkers are great!
PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Dewood, MDSeptember 29, 2015
Working for a child care subsidy program gives me an opportunity to serve the public and meet people from different walks of life. Personal growth and development are very limited; ample politicking and Stone Age regulations. My supervisor is the best. She gives me the chance to use many of my "other" skills and talents in graphics, art, writing and, as appointed PR/outreach person, also had the opportunity to be on television and radio. I feel that I am trusted. My colleagues are great people. We often work in a group environment, feeding off each other and learning from each other as well.
Pros
Health insurance, annual and sick leave
Cons
Monotony
Fun workplace
Juvenile Probation Officer Intern (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 13, 2016
I have learned a lot of my internship. Now, I am able to do initial interview, home visits, school visits, and write reports. All the probation officer in my unit are super nice and passionate about their work. It has been a wonderful experience, I love it.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
N/A
Typical jail setting
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 26, 2016
the main thing to remember before joining the sheriff's department is the people who love and care for one another and come to work every day to protect one another.
Operator superviser disconnect
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDDecember 22, 2015
I have been an operator for five years and in the those years i have had some good times but the last two years it has been challange with superviser and safety supervisers the buses we currently have are so outdated the safety of these buses are questionable they what the operators to use outdated buses to transport passangers
Experience in social issues and culture
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 11, 2015
At Busboys, great attention is placed on social awareness and issues, along with working with great people of various different ethnical backgrounds.
Pros
Social awareness and cultural experience
Cons
Job security
Fun Place To Work
Center and Youth Program Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 17, 2016
I love working with the kids and doing a lot of different thing or activities, the front desk is productive but pretty chill. The customers that come in are know us on first name basis as we do with them.
Enjoyed working with the public providing public health care to the citizens of southeast Kansas and surrounding areas
RN (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSDecember 29, 2015
Providing immunization to infants thru adults mainly. Maintaining vaccines for proper compliance with state regulations. Assisting co-workers as needed
Loved the work
Deputy Clerk for Commissioners Court (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXOctober 15, 2015
Because this was a local government position. I do not feel comfortable giving a review of this job, management (who are elected officials) or the co-workers. Please respect this.
Pros
Loved the work I performed.
Cons
The political environment conflicted with my spiritual outlook (morals).
Stability and Benefits
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 25, 2012
My work day begins at 7:30am with greetings. I check my voicemails and emails for oncoming priorities and/or mandatory timelines. After careful review of the Contracts Database preparation of contract renewals ie. extension options, or IFBs/RFPs, and additional contractual needs to accommodate in an accurate, yet timely manner. Every day is an exciting challenge from experience with Office of Procurement for requisitions to Office of Management and Budget/Department of Finance for encumbrances to Office of County Attorney for review. At times, contract negotiations can be somewhat tideous. However, beneficial for parties involved. It takes teamwork, hard work and dedication for a successful outcome.
benefits
Cons
furloughs
Productive Departments
Clerk I, Clerk II, III, Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXDecember 12, 2015
Work independently. Flexible work schedule. Everyone works together to get the job done. Cross Training. Consistency. Good client communications.
Pros
Working with various departments
Cons
Parking not too accessible
fun work place
bus operator (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 21, 2016
this was a great place to work for the people are also great and vibrant. love the time i spend at work it feels like a sport.