Montgomery County Public Schools

Montgomery County Public Schools United States Employee Reviews

Productive and Exciting
PARA EDUCATOR (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDMarch 17, 2015
Great work environment, very supportive. Everyone is very knowledgeable and passionate about their jobs. Tactful when it comes to the students being successful. Always helpful when interacting with the students.
Great Organization
Temporary Instructor/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Rockville, MDMarch 5, 2015
Pros: working with diverse populations, getting to teach a variety of lessons, seeing different classroom settings
Cons: having to work in classroom environments where the class isn't structured
Working as a substitute teacher in Montgomery County has been a great working experience. I have had the opportunity to work at various locations from elementary through high school settings and they have all been a positive learning experience in becoming familiar with the many schools that exist in the county. Working as a
substitute you don't have a typical day any day because of the fluidity of working at various locations all of the time. However, the general work day will consist of going to a location and filling in for the absent teacher. Taking attendance, classroom management and teaching prepared lessons are all part of the daily agenda. I find the most difficult part of the job is when the teachers don't have a set lesson plan for the day and you have to create a lesson on the spot for the students to become engaged in. The most rewarding part of the assignment is always getting to work with the students and since you usually don't have the same class for multiple days, getting to work with different climates all of the time is also a great way to be exposed to all different classroom settings.
Flexible schedule I got time to work in a part-time Job at nights
Bus Attendant (Current Employee), Clarksburg, MDMarch 4, 2015
Pros: good benefits working for the county
Cons: not too many hours for aleast 6 months
This is an excellent job. Howerver, I need to get something else to work more hours. The best of this job is the benefits and the chance to move up to other position when it is avaliable.
Great place to work!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Montgomery County MarylandFebruary 11, 2015
I like the flexibility of being a substitute, it allows me to work on my other passions because I work when I want! By working in different schools in the county you get to meet a lot of really nice people as well.
Enjoyed work, company benefits & events/promotions.
Building Services Manager (Former Employee), Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: lots of training programs for all aspects of building services/maintenance
Cons: contracted-out some services/lack of control
Monitored daily maintenance of building, ordered supplies, inspected all work upon completion, scheduled all maintenance & housekeeping employees, completed evaluations & hiring process, scheduled all training programs as needed for each employee.
Education focus is on the children and communit
Attendance Secretary (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: close knit group of co-workers
Cons: shortbreaks
Typical day at work is fast paced, it is the end of the day before you know it. I've learned how to work with various types of people, especially children who are eagered to learn. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the students who are ever changing everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping others.
Great learning environment
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee), Rockville, MDJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: free and reduced lunch; time with specialists- ot and speech
Cons: schedule
I enjoyed working with my students and planning lessons with my paraeducator and 5th grade team members.

The most enjoyable part was teaching Reading, Math, Social Studies, and Science. I also enjoyed teaching my paraeducator how to work with the students and we collaborated on strategies.
We worked welll as collaborative partners.

The hardest part of the job was working with general educators who did not want, or was apprehensive about special needs students working with general education students.
Excellent
Sports Trip Driver (Current Employee), christiansburg, vaDecember 23, 2014
Great staff, supporting supervisors, amazing workplace.
MCPS works diligently to ensure the education of the whole child
Substitute Teacher/Media Assistant/Paraeducator (Current Employee), Rockville, MarylandNovember 24, 2014
Pros: i am kept busy the entire academic year.
Cons: no work opportunities with mcps in the summer
Montgomery County Public School System is the sought-after
employer in Maryland for new and experienced teachers and educational administrators. The county's amenities offer a wonderful life with a solid county leadership; an educated population takes interest in the school system and environment.

I enjoy the collegiality of my coworkers.
fun place to work
Transliterator / site CST scheduler (Former Employee), Rockville, MDNovember 21, 2014
Pros: to know that i made the difference in the lives of children daily
Cons: 10 month position
great school, fantastic community involvement, surrounded by children
Interesting and occasionally rewarding
Special Education Paraeducator (Current Employee), Rockville, MDOctober 22, 2014
Pros: early start of the day so that you get off by 3pm
Cons: not many substitutes will work for paraeducators therefore we take very few days off.
A typical day as a Special Ed Para will include some thrilling moments and some moments that force you to see the glass as half full. The team effort helps you to try new approaches to the same old challenges because everybody brings something to the table. The hardest part of the job is when students turn down common sense approaches to the difficult aspects of the curriculum----do the homework and come to class with questions. Therefore the most enjoyable part of my job is when they will just do it.
Execution of a multiculltual curriculum for measurable student excellence
LONG-TERM SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee), Rockville, MDOctober 22, 2014
Pros: constructive educator evaluation and encouragement for creativity positivity of educators and staff.
Cons: high stakes testing designed to reflect execution of learing goals
Honorable work defined through the existence of a partnership through devoted, cohesive staff, achieved by administrative efforts and the execution of a multicultural curriculum designed to uphold the integrity of the educational objectives while expressing an ongoing desire to proliferate the highest standards for teaching excellence.
Managerial, organizational, and professional attributes essential for the success of any learning environment must be demonstrated and monitored as are student achievement.
Excellent mission and opportunities to grow within the organization
Communications Specialist (Current Employee), Rockville, MDSeptember 19, 2014
The employee is given the chance to take on more responsibility, work independently, and provide input. Co-workers play a big part in this, and are always in the best interest of the organization. The hardest part of the job is understanding the bureaucracy and nature of working for a public school system, may take more time to implement new changes that one would hope. Having a positive impact on the students and families is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee), Rockville MDSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: staff and children
Teacher duties
Worked with an initiative Principal in an Autism Center for children grades K-5
Wonderful work environment with supportive administration who understood the difficulties working with children with Autism and additional multiple disorders
Most enjoyable was getting to work with the children and celebrate the smallest of academic or social gains
A fun staff
Teacher of Analog and Digital Photography (Former Employee), Montgomery County,MarylandJuly 30, 2014
Pros: planning periods, lunch break
Cons: some times a very large class size.
I arrived at work everyday at 5:30 am, 2 hours before my start time, after commuting for 45 miles. I taught 5 class periods a day with the class size on an average of 35 - 37 students. In the spring semester, I also coached varsity softball. I coached for 20 years. My co-workers were great and supportive. The hardest part of my job was my commute to and from work. My commute was 90 miles a day for 33 yearsThe most enjoyable part of my job was watching the students learn a new photographic process.
Not much to do
Substitute ASL and English Language Teacher (Former Employee), Rockville, MDJuly 17, 2014
Unless you're an Educator and want to strive for the best then aim for the sky!
MCPS
Teacher (Former Employee), Meadow Hall ESJuly 8, 2014
I worked for MCPS for about 25 years and enjoyed every minute of my job.
Teaching students is enjoyable and challenging.
Kindergarten teacher for 18 students (Former Employee), Rockville, MDJune 9, 2014
Pros: free lunches, free parking and training teachers and educators.
A typical day at work allowed me to collaborate with other teaching professionals under a common goal of meting educational goals.

I was allowed to create an expository reading and writing program that was used on all levels-Kindergarten through sixth grade. In this environment it allowed me to grow as part of a team.

The principal was able to get results from us as educators and we annually exceeded teaching and learning capabilities.
Special educator in variety of different settings with MCPS
Special Ed Teacher, Carl Sandburg Learning Center (Current Employee), Special Ed Teacher, Redland Middle School,May 8, 2014
Pros: interactions with students, job- salary and benefits
Cons: need for materials to constantly be created, always need new and challenging materials to teach
Most recently I teach 3 classes in the School Community Based program at a Middle School with Montgomery County Public Schools. I have learned to adapt a general education curriculum to meet the needs of students with Intellectual Disabilities. I have learned to create material that can be used in that instruction. Meeting the individual needs of the students in my class is a constant challenge as the subject and complexity of the curriculum changes is probably the most challenging part of my job. I enjoy relating to the individual students and rejoicing when they have mastered a concept or skill.
I also teach a reading intervention class to under performing 8th grade students in the special education program as well as coteach a 6th grade on level English class.
Working with children there was no typical day.
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee), Elliston-Lafayette, VAApril 25, 2014
The best part of the job was working with the students. Never having the same day twice. Great co-workers.

1 2 3 4