Montgomery County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Okay to start career in public transportation
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJanuary 17, 2017
Okay to start career in public transportation. Learned how to operate buses, and deal with children and adults from all walks of life. Management was okay, co-workers were okay. Hardest part of job was the communication. Enjoyable part of job: not working on weekends.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Communications issues.
It varies
IT Systems Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 6, 2017
Montgomery County Public Schools is the nation's 17th largest school district. The working environment can vary as there are hundreds of elementary, middle and high schools. In addition, there are multiple non-school based offices.
Security Assistant (Current Employee) –  northwest hsJanuary 5, 2017
great place to work, chance for advancement, great people, great pay, training available, good benefits, good retirement, chance to change locations and work within the same system
n/a
Automotive Mechanic (Current Employee) –  n/aJanuary 4, 2017
Working with the Montgomery County Public School has been a very challenging experience and rewarding experience. I truly value my years of employment.
Academic English teaching
ESOL Teacher grades Pre-K - 5, (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MD Rosemont ES Gaithersburg MDJanuary 4, 2017
I designed and implemented Language and content based lessons for children learning English. The focus is on academic achievement .I learned how to be patient, respectful and kind to children and adults, I did both plug-in and pull-out teaching. Plug-in is where I go into the classroom and co-teach with the classroom teacher and focus on the objectives of the English Language Learners. My principals always complemented me on my ability to empathize with students and adults. Rosemont ES has wonderfully supportive administrators and easy to get along with teachers. My biggest challenge is that now so much is online. I work better with the structure provided with a hard copy curriculum in a binder. I find that structure enables me to be creative and know what is expected of me. Everything was enjoyable, The administrators and teachers were supportive and kind. I especially enjoyed working with the Pre-K children. They are so excited to learn and really full of positive energy.
Pros
Wonderful environment with always something new to do
Cons
The totally online, data-driven focus made the job anxiety producing.
what i learned
Building Service Technician/Food Service (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 4, 2017
working in the food service part of the school system i learned alot dealing with the different types if children that come through the lunch line you learn what they want and what they do not want verily quickly
Productive and fun workplace
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Montgomery County, MDDecember 30, 2016
Great Public School County in Maryland, High expectations for both teachers and students, supportive and collaborative work environment, clean and healthy workplace
Productive workplace
Instructional Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDDecember 28, 2016
Great for growth as a teacher however, it's very difficult to grow as a support staff employee who may not want to teach. However, it is easy to collaborate with fellow staff members to establish new ideas, strategies, and programs to promote student growth.
Good pay and good benefits
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 22, 2016
Highly specialized job
Requires ability to deal well with very organized system
Staff treated like professionals and well compensated
Work load is less than some other school psychology jobs because it is so specialized and the special education staff take care of many of the organizational tasks
Must work well with parents and school staff and be able to attend and contribute to numerous meetings
Given leeway in writing reports and treated like experts in field
Productive Work sites with a fun yet working atmosphere
Electrician Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 16, 2016
Typical day on the job is like any other, waking up in the early morning, greeting everyone as you clock in, traveling to the job site and right away we start working, communication between the whole crew to avoid problems was essential and even worked very well for us. I was one of the Leaders in our Crew as i was head of electrical.
Hard work but worth every bit
BUILDING SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 13, 2016
The hardest part of the job is when one of the staff called out from work, then that work is added on to your own work. On the other hand I enjoyed my co-workers and learned a lot about the reaping the benefits.
Pros
free lunches, healthcare
Cons
Hard work
Volunteer
Building Services (Current Employee) –  Montgomery County, MDDecember 3, 2016
I was just a volunteer, my father is really the one who works for MCPS but it's the only work experience i have. The staff are very friendly and helpful
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
rude students
The first day of school
Full Time School Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDOctober 23, 2016
Every first day of school is a fan.
It is a fan because it is also the day we school bus drivers come back to work after a two-month vacation of no-pay.
Everyone is happy and excited to have the paycheck resumed, to meet friends and co-workers back, and of course, meet back our students that we always love.

But the hard part of it is the road and traffic, the timeliness,the focus and attention, and safety concerns on the road as the driver.
Pros
You have good benefits. Two months to enjoy yourself each year. Tuition reimbursement available.
Cons
Early morning wake up. Very challenging work in terms of safety. Daily hours less than 8 hours.
Productive.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Kensington, MDOctober 20, 2016
love this place and would definitely do it again without hesitation. anyone going there would enjoy all of it. cant wait to go learn everyday. learned
Special Education Teacher Giving Students Tools to Succeed in Life.
Special Education Resource Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cresthaven Elementary SchoolSeptember 25, 2016
I support students with different types of learning disabilities. I am very patient and I enjoy working with them.My job is very rewarding. It gives me a great satisfaction to witness my students' success. I am also in constant contact with the parents, I inform them about their children progress and I frequently request their collaboration and input and I encourage them to be active participants is their childrens' progress.
I have a great relationship with my colleagues. I get along well with them and over the years I have been working at Cresthaven I developed many close relationships. My work place is the place where I spent the majority of my day. I truely enjoy my work and the environment of my work place.
Pros
the ability to empower my students and give the strategies to manage every day life..
Cons
I put in long hours.
Montgomery county public schools Md
Substitute Teacher, Home& Hospital teacher (Former Employee) –  Silver Soring MD and vicinitySeptember 23, 2016
I have worked as a substitute teacher and Home and hospital teacher during the years 1996 to 2013.
I have taught in all grades from K12, teaching all subject
Especially Math and science in various schools in MCPS.
It has been an amazing teaching experience during that long time living in Silver Spring Md.
Now I live in Huntington Beach CA and looking for words to contributing from my experience and skills to
Students in Huntington CA.
Great!
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 14, 2016
Awesome job experience...Excited each year to volunteer and meet new people. The management is approachable and everyone there is there to help others in any way.
productive fun environment with great coworkers
Bus Attendant, Special Education (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 8, 2016
Overall good company to work for with excellent hrs that tend to be spilt, very good pay and all coworkers are great.Its a very rewarding position working with children/students with any and all types of disabilities.
Pros
split schedule, early morning start, off summers and off when kids arent in school, great insurance and paid holidays
Cons
working without ac for hours in extreme temps
Great schools
Para educator in the Emotionally Disturbed Cluster (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDAugust 16, 2016
A great organization with some of the best public schools in America.I had a difficult time separating personal life and work life because of the emotional struggle I faced with the kids I worked with.
Fair
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJuly 18, 2016
I met extraordinary people while working for this educational setting. Giving back to the community of Montgomery County after having graduated from Montgomery Blair High School was absolutely gratifying.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Montgomery County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3