Montgomery County Public Schools Employee Reviews

great hours
RN (Current Employee) –  Riner, VA 24149November 13, 2017
excellent schedule for families
lower pay than working in hospital and no retirement offered but it is nice to be able to work Monday through Friday and not have to worry about working on the weekends.
Great Place to Sub
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYNovember 4, 2017
I only spent a year and a half at Montgomery County as a Substitute Teacher, but it was time well spent. I worked with some terrific people in a well-managed school system.

My biggest complaint, and I was not alone in this, was that the school system could not seem to keep a Superintendent for long, an turnover at the top was very high.
Pros
HIgh level of professionalism
Cons
Too much turnover in administration
Educational and enlightening
Substitute teacher/aide (Current Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 3, 2017
It was never a dull moment to work as a teacher's aide/substitute for the Montgomery County Public school system. Often I had to rotate to different classrooms to assist various students throughout the day, especially if I worked with Special Education students.
Pros
Variety, day usually goes by quickly, working ith children, working with teachers, free lunch if working in the cafeteria
Cons
Not knowing your assignment in advance sometimes
Enjoyed working with the special needs students.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Damascus, MDNovember 1, 2017
I enjoyed working with the special needs students. Assisting them in the classrooms and accomodating their work schedule. At time it was extremely physical needing to lift students in wheelchairs .
Hearing Officer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 21, 2017
I enjoyed my 27 to 28 years as a teacher, school-based administrator and hearing officer. The work was fast paced and the environment was highly diverse student centered and provided and opportunity to adults, parents and community partners to collaborate in the best interest for increased student achievement.
Pros
Opportunity to teach, lead, learn, and grow professionally.
Cons
Commute and traffic in the DC metro area.
productive place to work
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 18, 2017
i like the school board system because the benefits were good and the pay was consistent i really didnt have any problems here and everyone was very polite
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 11, 2017
Montgomery County Public Schools is a great place to work, learn and grow. There is opportunity to increase your knowledge and skills through an abundant of training and learning opportunities.
Great place to work but...
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  MarylandOctober 4, 2017
I just wish they allowed part time/substitute employees to obtain benefits. The flexibility/hours are great for those with children and it is wonderful to watch other people's children learn.
Industry and Employer are problems
ESOL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 2, 2017
MCPS talks a big game, but it doesn't support teachers. It supports affluent parents who complain the loudest. Working here doesn't inspire innovation. Benefits continue to be stripped. More work is lumped on you. Sadly, its not just MCPS, it is the industry and this country, but MCPS used to be the best county in the country. It is no longer and that is a direct result of the changes that have occurred in the last 5 years.
Montgomery Public school is an above average middle school to work for.
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALSeptember 26, 2017
I have a passion for teaching middle school math. It is both exciting and personally rewarding to me. Middle school students have a unique perspective that make teaching both challenging and entertaining.

As a math teacher it is often necessary to establish additional tutoring for remediation/enrichment. Soliciting parents, community and other stakeholders to support and engage in this process is often challenging. However, the rewards that come from a confident student is the "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow".
Pros
Teacher autonomy
its great
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 26, 2017
Depends on the supervisor you are under if you're comfortable at your work place or not, so managers can utilize their authority for there own personal gain that if you don't know the policies and regulations
Pros
breaks
Cons
healthcare
/overworked/Underpaid
TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 22, 2017
Simply because we're teachers. But if you're going to overwork you might as well work here - MCPS pays more than any neighboring county. ...................
Pros
benefits, advancement
Cons
work life balance, unpaid overtime
Poor management
staff meetings (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDSeptember 14, 2017
The job is very political, favoritism, discrimination toward staff and student's. When interviewed for a job, administration is very dishonest about what job duties are.
Pros
Union, Summers off, receive Christmas and Spring break
Cons
Dishonest staff administration
productive
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 9, 2017
A typical day was filled with learning activities for students and teachers alike.
Going to different schools helped me learn about various management methods teachers use for their students.
Pros
lunch
Cons
no benefits as sub
I love ❤️ this school
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duck Hill, MSSeptember 5, 2017
Montgomery County School is a great school to attend. My entire family has attended this school as well as i . My oldest daughter graduated from here and now next year my baby girl will be graduating too.
Pros
I liked it.
Cons
Not any
A Great Place for Educators
Consulting Teacher - (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 26, 2017
MCPS is an outstanding school system that strives to provide all students with the best education possible to prepare them for higher education or the work force. Great support for new teachers.
Good
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 14, 2017
Nice good job work with adolescents . Producing members for the future. Learning methods and techniques designed to shape lives of our children in the 21st century
Pros
Security
Job description
Building Service Worker/Night Leader (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 13, 2017
The job was a very great job to have I enjoyed working with them. The work schedule was excellant. The workers all worked as a team to get the job completed
It was an extreme workload and no time for family.
Foreign Language and ESOL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 13, 2017
It was a lot of work and very little opportunity to be creative with ideas or methods. MCPS was a good financial support. It helped me be collaborative and with other staff members. It was a great place because I was focused on teaching and helping students be successful.
Pros
Health Insurance and a good salary
Cons
Extreme work load and time.
Great place to work, awesome environment, ability to advance
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 6, 2017
Affable, professional, and fun environment to learn in
Awesome supervisor and have learned much per the 2.0 Curriculum.

Great place to retire from and awesome students and staff. Much much room for advancement and career enhancement.
Pros
Great Learning Environment