Moorehead Communications DBA, The Cellular Connection

Moorehead Communications DBA, The Cellular Connection Employee Reviews

Dead end sales job.
Sales Representative/Temporary Management (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, ILSeptember 20, 2014
A typical day at work at The Cellular Connection in Lincoln Illinois consisted of sitting around and waiting for customers to walk through the door so that there was actually something to do. This is a salary plus commission job, however the profit goal for the store was so high for the given area that commission pay came as often as Christmas. I have never worked at a job where I witnessed worse micromanagement, at least for the region that I worked in. Employees and managers were constantly switching between stores due to personal conflicts within the stores with other employees.
As far as regional and store management was concerned, it was a total revolving door system. There was barely any sort of opportunity to advance, especially for anyone working at the Lincoln location because it was so far away from any other store in the region. As an employee, you were required to work 50+ hours a week, but you would only be paid for 40. The hardest part of this job was almost always having absolutely nothing to do without a customer in the store. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to help people with their cell phones and cell phone service because cell phones have become such a vital part of everyone's life in this day and age.
Pros
Discounts on cell phone service and equipment, good health benefits
Cons
Very long work weeks, long periods of time with nothing to do while on the clock, virtually no opportunities to advance, not enough pay for the hours that were required. The list goes on...
You get out what you put in!
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Central, PASeptember 10, 2014
I was with Moorehead for over 4 years and only left because I relocated to an area where TCC didn't do business. In my time there I saw many, many changes and for the most part all were positive. This was easily the best time in my career.

Mistakes are always going to be made, however, this is a company that owns its mistakes and allows a ton of decisions to be made through employee interaction and feedback. The corporate culture is amazing. When executives would visit, the point was made to go to the frontline and get their feedback. As a Regional Manager, this was always a talking point to my team. That doesn't happen everywhere.

The hardest part of the job can be the constantly changing wireless environment. That's not for everyone, however, the company recognizes the changes and tries to put efforts into providing support tools, etc.

A family-owned company, that's growing, secure, and at the forefront of its industry...that always make the effort to keep its family-feel. Great organization, great corporate support, great product and partner w/ Verizon.

Every place will have it's cons. It's what you can handle that determines how good of a fit it is for you.
Pros
Comp structure change, Aggressive effort to become #1 VZ partner, Benefits package, Corporate support, Autonomy in the field
Cons
Change in initiatives sometimes cause field confusion, company-driven tools cannot be found in one place which turns into an email search for documents, consistent streamlined communications
No Work Life Balance
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  New England RegionAugust 29, 2014
The Culture is great, which drew me to Moorehead. I saw much success there and my year over year numbers were outstanding.

I chose to resign because I was required to be available 24/7 unless I was on formal PTO and upper-management was selective about who was given the opportunity for advancement.

It was not uncommon to get phone calls well after the store had closed or on my days off about things that could have waited.

I had no work-life balance whatsoever. Even with PTO being allowed after one year of employment, I could not truly schedule PTO and was called when I was sick, and was expected to monitor postings to social media sites to be sure my team was talking about their successes instead of asking questions.

As an example of unrealistic expectations, my team was required to spend 6 hours in the car each way with a day's notice to go to a training three states away. They were not provided a hotel and were expected to work the following day.

Unfortunately. the company has gotten too big too fast and overlooks who they place in upper management, which has caused a lot of managers there to leave, specifically female employees.

It might be different in other parts of the country, but in New England, it is not an idea workplace and does not pay what people are worth.

The company leases locations without consideration to demographics and sight unseen. so it is very common that a rep who "clerks" at a busy location might make 4x the amount of a sales manager who works non-stop at a slower store.

This is not an organization I would recommend to cohorts,
  more... friends, or family.  less
Pros
Great reps and manager, Large compay with decent benefits.
Cons
Required to be available 24/7, Upper management apathetic, Much travel required which you aren't compensated for according to IRS standards of 51 cents / mile
Working at Moorehead was a relaxed enviornment.
Home Solutions Operation Specialist (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Marion, INAugust 23, 2014
I enjoyed working with the people there. Some days it was fast paced, and others it was medium. Either way, I enjoyed it. I was able to learn about satellite TV and how it works. All in all, the management was tollerable, but on the outside, it seemed as they were just in it for themselves and not to help guide others. My coworkers were fun. They had a diverse sense of life and it was great to learn different sides of people. It was difficult learning a new aspect of my job, but once I learned it, it was good to know it. The most enjoyable part was everyone pitching in to help others, especially those in the community that were in need. There were Christmas families that we were able to buy presents for because they either fell on hard times or they lost jobs or homes. It's gratifying to see everyone pull together to help others.
Pros
Paid holidays that we didn't have to work, I had a set schedule that worked wonderful for my family, the healthcare was amazing.
Cons
I did have to work late a few nights a month due to the need of paying stores for their sales, and inventory for my techs at the end of every month.
Fun place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCAugust 18, 2014
Typical day at work was helping Verizon customers with any needs they may have. Managment def needed some work but coworkers were great people.
Fun rewarding job.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INJuly 30, 2014
A typical day at TCC is honestly quite fun. Who wouldn't love to see the new technology before the rest of the public?! The job is mainly customer service and making lifelong friends(customers). If you dont take care of them correctly or in a timely manner they have other places to go to get what they need. You have to sell yourself and sometimes go a little beyond to totally meet the customers needs and keep them loyal. After all, word of mouth is the best advertisement.

Just like any other retail company, you have to answer phones, open close procedures, bank deposits, filing, process credit applications and above all customer service..
Pros
working with public and playing with all the new technoloy
Cons
retail hours, and sometimes too busy to take a 5 minute break
A company with a future if you work hard
Lead Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Anoka, MNJuly 13, 2014
The typical day would be like any other cellular job but with great help from the corporate offices you never feel like you can't get a answer. Great job, management lacks from time to time.
Fun place to work...
Wireless Consultant (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCMay 21, 2014
Company closed in Nov 2011. So there in no need for a review because the company in no longer.
Good Company to work for
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, PennslyvaniaMay 16, 2014
I enjoyed my time with company. Enjoyed traveling, helping others to find their potential.
Good but...
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 12, 2014
Use to be a better place, great trainers but management is very poor.
Pros
Sales process, customers
Cons
Pay, management likes to fire for no reason, upper management doesn't care about employees
Culture of Good
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 6, 2014
Great company to work for. Definitely a work hard, play hard environment.
A Good starter job to see if you can sell.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 17, 2014
Selling the hottest cell phones on the market with the best coverage map. The phones pretty much sell themselves! I got to meet a lot of nice interesting people. Management was amazing, and were more than willing to help anytime.
Pros
Flexible hours, awesome smart phones, latest technology.
Cons
Comission based pay, money was in accessories sales.
Great place to work and a great team
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Clair, PAFebruary 5, 2014
I honestly wish I had never left the job, It was the best job I could have hoped for. The training we receive is amazing, the pay was really good, BUT you had to work to receive anything great (commissioned based)
Pros
good hours and fun group
Cons
none.
New Company with Advancement Potential
Retail Sales Manager (Corp.) (Current Employee) –  ConfidentialJanuary 29, 2014
Good Culture but a few bumps in growth...Company has moved forward with updating and getting a feel of where they are going.
Pros
Cons
Growing Pains
Every employee has a voice
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittston, PAJanuary 10, 2014
Working for Moorehead Communications has most ceratinly aided to my professional growth. Every day we are encouraged to run our retail location like it were our own business. I continually monitor proper staffing levels and maximize our profit/loss report. Throughout the entire organization fresh ideas are encouraged and regularly considered. We recognize that our front line employees are our most valuable asset to our organization and look to them on a regular basis to keep the creative energy a constant. This mentality makes me proud to be a part of this organization.
Started off good, but losing concern for their own employees.
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 1, 2014
Moorehead Communications started off as a great place to work and overall things could definitely be a lot worse. They have a great CEO and seem to have a good grasp on innovation in the wireless industry. Lately however, they are trying to do more in communities (which is great) but at the cost of employee wages. Sadly, the people that took the main hit were those working in the stores and generating the money for the company to begin with. If they get it straightened back out, they will definitely be a company to work for.
Pros
Working with customers, helping in the community, the people you work with.
Cons
Pay cuts, lack of availability to move up.
Used to be a great place to work
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  USANovember 12, 2013
Used to be a great place to work. Pay has decreased year after year. Not much room for advancement.

Verizon Wireless is a great product and sells itself. Plenty of areas to make commission.

Long hours!!!
Pros
Commission, People
Cons
No Advancement Opportunities, Long Hours
Job seeker beware
Wireless Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 27, 2013
The sell you this wonderful pitch about being a rockstar and making lots of money-let me tell you it is a load of crock. They have high turnover because they work their employees to the point of being burnt out. There is no work, life balance as an employee of The Cellular Connection. Save yourself the headache and work for Verizon directly, not this indirect agent/"premium retailer." The benefits are better and there is room for advance with Verizon Wireless.
Pros
My current and former store mangers willingness to work with you
Cons
The REGIONAL MANAGER is never available although he/she claims to have an open door policy, pips, they have recently changed the pay scale which benefits the company not the employees
Family Business
Rep (Current Employee) –  hummlestownJuly 3, 2013
Overall TCC is a great place to work. There is a lot of fun inside the stores that creates a great work atmosphere.
Cell phone retailer
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Ephrata, PAJune 13, 2013
Up-selling
Managed day to day employee operations
Work with vendors for store needs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Moorehead Communications DBA, The Cellular Connection. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6