Morehead State University Employee Reviews

Good Co-workers and a decent workplace.
Building Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYDecember 18, 2014
A typical day at work starts with ensuring that the dorm area I am responsible for is clean and tidy so that the students have a clean place to study and relieve the stress they deal with everyday. After my time doing that, I then go and make sure that the campus looks clean by removing the recyclable materials from their bins and depositing them at the local recycling center, and delivering any supply orders that are made. The members of Management that I work for make the job enjoyable as they treat me more like a friend rather than a simple worker. The co-workers that I work with are some of the friendliest and most helpful people on campus, with a willingness to help complete tasks or lend cleaning supplies as needed, and during breaks, provide some interesting and entertaining conversations. The most enjoyable part of the job is hearing the students, professors, and staff compliment on the job done cleaning and maintaining the buildings. The main problems that occur usually happen because the different departments on campus want to believe that their jobs should come before any other jobs that need to be done, and this leads to a congestion of work and sometimes some angry people that feel they are being ignored.
Pros
good health coverage
Cons
poor interaction between departments
Positive learning experience
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYOctober 29, 2013
This job was essentially assisting a professor with the research topic that both of us agreed was interesting for a year. I gathered information, collated what was most interesting, reported it, wrote a paper, edited the paper and presented it at Academic conferences. I learned how to most effectively manage time required to use a search engine. The downsides of the job were mainly that the pay and hours were fairly low, the upsides were that it definitely applied to my interests and mostly independent work. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the research itself. The hardest part was the actual presentation of the papers. Since the job was through the university I was enrolled at they were willing to work to balance out the workload with my classes. Unfortunately the job was one that always had an expiration date
Pros
learn a tremendous amount about a subject, gain experience writing and researching.
Cons
no opportunities for advancement, low pay, job had a definite end date
Productive and Educational
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYApril 20, 2015
I worked as par of an undergraduate research fellowship. A typical day at work involved taking measurements of sky brightness at night and then recording an plotting the data.

I learned how to manage and maintain large amounts of data, produce legible plots that provide useful information, and how to present the data in an orderly way such that it is easy to comprehend. I also learned how to give public presentations at competitions.

The professor and students that I worked with were very valuable and provided help whenever possible.

The hardest part of the job was the late night hours which was required to obtain night sky measurements.

The most enjoyable part of the job was presenting at competitions and actually placing second place at a competition with ten other competitors.
Pros
Great Learning Experience, Great Professors
Cons
Part Time, No Advancement
Academic environment learning, researching, analyzing, and discussing findings
Undergraduate Research Fellowship (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYOctober 19, 2014
7 hours per week maximum, meet with mentor once per week, research different topics related to sky brightness, use an SQM in different locations, import, organize, and analyze data using excel, gather information for presentations, and give presentations to groups of students, teachers, and physicists. Mentored by a professor with a doctorate degree, and occasionally collaborated with another student researcher with a similar topic. The hardest part of this job was first understanding difficult topics and then explaining them to groups of people without experience in those topics. The most enjoyable part of the job was successfully presenting the information to groups and being rewarded with positive feedback and interest in my project.
Responsibility, integrity, and reliability
Student Work Study (Former Employee) –  Prestonsburg, KYAugust 16, 2013
My employment during this time frame was a beneficial experience. I displayed integrity,reliability,and my employer entrusted me with the following responsibilities, opening and closing the office and computer lab, proctoring exams, answering phones, transferring calls, faxing documents , filing concurrent and student graduation applications, assisting students with enrollment and transfer applications and assisting professors with technological equipment. I enjoyed this job and appreciate the opportunity my former employer gave me. She allowed me to learn new skills and helped me to gain confidence in my existing skills. She encouraged me to pursue my degree and to move to Richmond.
Pros
assisting employer, professors, and students
Cons
unsteady hours, no benefits
Down-to-Earth community and home-like learning and work environment.
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYMarch 28, 2013
Morehead State University was my home during my undergraduate experience. Since my first visit to the campus, I knew this was the school I wanted to enroll in. After a couple years, I joined the MSU Housing Team and it was nothing short of a blessing for myself as an individual. Housing allowed me to advance from an RA to a Marketing Intern, which further provided opportunity after opportunity in refining my graphic design and marketing skills. Apart from my student status and thus my position being part time, my experience at MSU was nothing but positive.
I enjoyed working with the students at the University.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYJune 2, 2014
My job would begin by preparation for opening the building for students to use the building. This was a recreation facility located on campus for the students. My responsibilities included supervising student workers and maintaining an environment that offered a service for the students. The hardest part of my job was handing conflicts from the students that came in to use the facility. There was times that I had to call the University police to get involved if necessary.
Pros
the atmosphere was laid back.
Cons
dealing with professors could be difficult at times.
Great work environment with a very outgoing staff
Event Manager Intern (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYJuly 23, 2013
While working at Morehead State University I am exposed to a very outgoing and friendly work staff every time I walk through the doors. Nobody acts as though they are above you and everyone is created equally. The best part to me is the variety of work I am able to perform everyday, it seems as through I learn something new every time I attend work and I am very grateful for that.
Pros
laid back work environment, friendly staff
Cons
not the best compentsation
Great Environment with Cooperative efforts
Fitness Attendant, Member Services, Instructor (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYJanuary 9, 2013
A typical day is pretty smooth sailing nothing difficult or stressful
I have learned how to communicate and cooperate with my Co-workers at a professional level. This job is not very intense it is a position that is getting me through college. The most important part being able to collaborate with new people, cultures and styles.
Computer lab assistant and Tutor
Computer Lab Attendant (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYDecember 27, 2014
I opened the lab at 2:00pm and closed the lab at 11:00pm every Sunday. As a student worker, I was given my own computer station where I was allowed to work on homework assignments while at work as long I was not scheduled to tutor that day. Working on Sundays allowed me more time during the week to be apart of school groups and art competitions.
Pros
own desk and computer
Cons
short breaks
Productive workplace
Police Telecommunicator (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYJune 7, 2015
A typical day at work for me is recording a daily log of each officer on duty. Receiving and sending information through a police radio. I've learned how to condense large amounts of information into readable, sensibly typed remarks in a timely manner and have the ability to recall numerous acronyms and codes essential to appropriate call processing.
Great work study
IT Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYAugust 22, 2012
Worked in class rooms for most part of the day, Learned the ins and outs IT department. Had great co-workers I worked with and the hardest part in the work was making sure the correct pieces were with each system. I enjoyed being around everyone I worked with had a great staff.
Pros
always can get ahold of someone if needed
Cons
crazy hours
Excellent workplace with the opportunity to develop personal skills.
Athletic Business Manager, Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYNovember 4, 2015
Was given the opportunity to develop programs for the university that would enhance the overall operations of the workplace. Was able to make suggestions to improve productivity and the suggestions were "heard" by management.
Pros
Freedom to plan and try new things.
Cons
Cannot think of one negative comment.
Fun place where make new friends.
Bookstore Associate (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYAugust 26, 2015
I had a great time getting to know my associates and students who came to the bookstore. I learned a lot of different skills in different areas of the bookstore. My coworkers did an excellent job training me and helping when it was needed.
Great hours, terrible management
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYJanuary 20, 2015
Worked as a professor there for 12 years. A couple of my coworkers did not have the same teaching philosophy as I did and they leveraged their pull with the Provost and President to have me released. Black-balling is very common practice there.
Pros
hours
Cons
coworkers
Fun and great place to work!!
Clinical Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYAugust 25, 2015
Was able to share my knowledge with new and upcoming radiologic technologist. Working as a clinical Lab instructor also helped to keep my skills in tact. Working with vibrant students made the teaching fun and I looked forward to it weekly.
Productive and fun place to work. Creativity is encouraged and supported.
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYOctober 15, 2012
Work can change from day to day. Some days will be meeting heavy, while other days can be full of smiling students needing assistance or just someone to talk to.
Fun Work Environment
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYNovember 17, 2013
This was a fun work environment. I was able to complete homework assignments. I would post "Stall Notes" in various restrooms on Campus, Mail confidential paperwork, and run errands for co-workers.
Like a Family
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYMarch 31, 2014
You can joke a round or have a serious conversation and it never leaves the office, they make you feel at home, I love them
Pros
fun, easy going, friendly
Great People
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYMay 23, 2013
I love the people I work with. They are great fun people to be around for 8hrs of your day. They are great friends. They work well with my school schedule.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
i'm not full time.

4.4