Moreno Valley Unified School District Employee Reviews

Every day was a day of discovery. No two days were alike.
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 16, 2013
The day began with gathering the students from their buses and escorting them to their classrooms or multi-purpose room for breakfast. After breakfast, instruction began based on grade levels and student abilities. I was charged with individual and small group instruction in academic and non-academic subjects and activities: language arts, math, science, social studies, art, occupational therapy and APE (Adaptive Physical Education). I also helped maintain student records and reports and oversaw free-time and recess activities.

I learned that each child has a special gift and to look beyond the documented limitations and to celebrate and applaud each success and triumph, no matter how small.

Classroom management was key to maintaining an orderly classroom. Having consistent daily schedules with work stations and work centers prepared before each teaching session was instrumental in keeping order and easing student transition from one area to another. These along with a fair and just system (created by the classroom teacher) for dealing with inappropriate and disruptive behavior made for optimal classroom functioning.

I got along well with most of my co-workers and many of them as well as the teachers with whom I worked requested time and again for me to return to their classrooms.

The hardest part of my job was seeing children who, for no fault of their own, were poorly cared for. Special needs children are especially vulnerable to ostracism and ridicule. For them to be suffer from poor hygiene, to be inappropriately and inadequately dressed leaves them open to greater negative
  more... scrutiny.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the look of triumph on the face of a child who had succeeded in overcoming a difficulty or obstacle he/she had struggled with.
Pros
no long commute, food fridays, 1 hour lunches(at some school sites)
Cons
seeing the neglect that some children suffered.
Stressful, micromanaged. excessive ridiculous expectations,
Fifth Grade Teacher/Reading intervention teacher (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAOctober 13, 2012
I have loved my job for all of my career until the last 3 years. I work at a school that has always had quality teaching, extended families coming through, and support from colleagues and management. The direction the district is moving, however, is having less to do with the interpersonal aspect of education and more to do with data, upon data, upon data. One of the things I and many of my colleagues enjoyed about teaching was the autonomy in running our classrooms. We taught the way that worked best for us and what we knew worked well with children. Currently we spend so much time testing and analyzing that education has become a "fill in the correct bubble" format. We spend hours analyzing data and jumping through hoops dictated by the district and the state. I understand that we have to have accountability, but we've gone overboard to where that is all we do is test, analyze and document. I'm all for change and trying new things, but the current trend has little to do with learning theory.
I'm still here because I love teaching and working with children. But it has come to fact that I am biding my time and I don't like that feeling.
Pros
working with children and supportive coworkers.
Cons
new management, new hoops to jump through, loss of creativity
A fun and rewarding experience
AVID Tutor / Mentor (Former Employee) –  Moreno ValleyFebruary 10, 2014
A typical day at work consists of working with high schoolers ranging from grades 9-12 in AVID courses. There would be group tutoring sessions, binder grading, and the occasional group meetings with faculty. I learned that high schoolers are amazing to work with and that consistency is so important for them to excel and appreciate the help they receive. Management is very friendly and flexible with student employees. They are willing to work around student school schedules and appreciate all of their tutors very much. The co-workers are a group of intelligent individuals who are passionate about teaching and the well being of their students as well as their peers. You learn from them as well as your students and they make the job that much easier. The hardest part of the job is following strict guidelines according to AVID. There are training sessions before you get hired but there are strict grading criteria that must be followed in order to properly tutor students. With practice and feedback from management and supervisors it becomes much easier over time. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping students active their goals throughout their high school experience and their journey onward.
Pros
long lunch breaks, summer vacation, winter break, spring break
Cons
healthcare
mvusd experience
Substitute Custodian (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMay 14, 2012
been a custodian is not that bad people seem is the worst job to have but its not its really easy and simple to do and you work alone in your own route one of the things that i love about this job i dont have to worry about anyone else but my on section of the school the co workers are nice and some are jerks that dont do anything hardest part of the job is when the kids are on vacations thats when we do triple the amount of work and have the school ready and clean for the kids when they return i enjoy working nights and by my self no stress from anyone your only allow to work 195 days of the school year which kind of sucks
Pros
all holidays off, all saturday and sunday off
Cons
night time, rainy days, hot days, no pay vacation, no sick days
Enjoyed working for Moreno Valley Unified School District
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAOctober 30, 2012
A typical day at work would be to answer phones, greet parents/students that entered the front office. Filing of student records and emergency cards, working on mail distribution.

I really can't think of any hard parts of the job. It was a easy job and I enjoyed working with all of the teachers and the office staff, we all got along well and that was very enjoyable. It is nice and important when everyone can get along with each other.
Pros
having the same time off as my kids, winter break, spring break, summer break
Cons
health benefits, and good people
MVUSD = Excellance on purpose
Secretary III (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 1, 2014
A few years ago our Superintendent decided that our schools caption is Excellance on purpose. I work in the Information Systems department at the District office, changes happen daily in IT. Throughout the years I have learn to have the ability to just roll with the technology changes in a positive way so that are staff stays positive. Due to individuals being adverse to change at times it is crucial to be able to keep a positive attitude, ensuring that they will fill good the changes and not let it affect their ability to continue to teach our students.
The school district continues to improve through experience.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 24, 2014
The day brings different events every day. There are no typical days with 31 students and all they bring to the classroom. There are wonderful days when all students come to class with enthusiasm and the love of learning. But, that doesn't always happen as often as would like..
The hardest part is the interruptions, inconsistent schedules and frequent curriculum changes. The most enjoyable part is the students themselves. They come with the most interesting and enjoyable personalities.
My colleagues are exceptional and very professional and a pleasure to work with each and everyday.
Cons
lack of supplies
A sense of fullfillment and a reward in itself
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAApril 18, 2013
A typical day at work consists of assisting teachers and students on class assignments and projects. keeping students on task and assisting with clarifing assignments. I learned that this postion takes lots of patients and varies techniques to keeps students motivated to complete assignments. The hardest part of the job is being able to deal with different attitudes and subjects. the most enjoyable part of my job is helping and seeing students accomplish things that they normally struggle with. seeing the light bulb light up in their heads when they understand a concept that is being taught.
A+
Certificated Substitute (Current Employee) –  All Schools in MVNovember 21, 2013
Work is routine. I learn how people enjoy learning at School. I manage the class in a conclusive setting with 100% participation at all times. Co-Workers are supportive and reachable.
The most difficult part of the job being a substitute teacher is mapping the route to a new location when it's a school I haven't visited for work previously. The most enjoyable part of the job is implementing the attendance and conversing with the students about the salient events of the day.
Pros
ample restrooms
Cons
not being able to follow up on the students completed work.
Day and life of a subsititue instructinal aid
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMarch 30, 2014
Typical day is going to different class rooms with a student of either special needs or aid. Learned school work and how to work with disabled children. There is really not a chance to move up. Co-workers ... you work by yourself. Hardest part is learning how to work with some of these children who have disabilities. Most enjoyable is working with children who have a disability because they have their own personalities.
Pros
open shedule
Cons
no benefits if your a sub instructional aid

Want to know more about Moreno Valley Unified School District?

Ask a question
School district, tough in a tough economy!
bus driver (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CANovember 7, 2012
I think at one time school bus driving was a nice job . It has suffered many set backs due to cuts. However, it does provide an opportunity to interact with many people. Everyday is different and the kids can be challenging. I like to try and be a positive example in their lives and encourage them to be their best.
Pros
its a good mom job because it allows a person time .
Cons
sometimes the kids are difficult and school cuts.
awesome high school summer job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 14, 2014
nothing but good times. helping people is what its all about. if you want to learn first aid and get the chance to save a life do it. management is good. co-workers were all sweet. must have ability to multi task and asess potential life endangering risks. customer service and patience is a must.
Pros
great summer job
Cons
not year around
A passionate place to work for.
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAAugust 12, 2013
Everyday come to work and assisting in the learning of students. Whether it was reading or making sure they stayed on track or helping by grading and assisting with days activities.
The teachers I worked with were awesome. They appreciatedd the help and were very organized.
Pros
schedule, advancement in the company, benefits, understanding managers.
Cons
paarents that would not listen.
Productive place to work.
Chapter President (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAAugust 5, 2014
Enjoyed working for Moreno Valley Unified School District. Very challenging yet rewarding. Learned something new every day. Co-workers were interesting! The hardest part of the job was making sure everything and everyone was accounted for and treated fairly. The most enjoyable part of the job was when everything came together and benefited all.
Pros
educational
Cons
making everybody happy.
Friendly, fun
Substitute Bilingual Categorical Clerk (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMay 15, 2015
I am happy with Moreno Valley Unified, I have met and became friends with lots of lovely and caring people. My only reason of transferring is out is the commuting. I live in Temecula since 2011 and the drive is not fun.
Pros
get lots of time off, holidays...
Cons
pay a high cost on insurance
Great Experience!
Campus Supervision (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 8, 2013
My experience at the Moreno Valley Unified School District has been invaluable. My work is with juveniles, this experience has taught me that as an adult, strong character and having a strong belief in something is very important for shaping the minds and dealing with juveniles.
Pros
rewarding when good happens
Cons
they are not my friends
Excellent Place to be employed
IA Sub (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAFebruary 28, 2014
District has many opportunities working as Substitute in many classroom with different age children assistant many teachers.
Helping student with daily studies.
Coworkers are helpful.
Most enjoyable part of the job is see the result in student faces,
of accomplishments.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
fun
Noon Duty (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJuly 16, 2013
every day was different and exciting, the best part was seeing the children and when they would come up to me and tell mje what they did in class and how great the did or how the spent their weekend with their family.
Pros
childrens stories
Cons
not enough hours
Overall Good Place to Work
English Literature/ Journalism Teacher (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJuly 16, 2013
I really enjoyed working with this district. I found that everyone was very supportive and enjoyed collaborating with one another. It was challenging to work with at-risk youth but it was worth the outcome of watching many graduate.
Productive and Great People
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJuly 8, 2015
Open the work order website and print out work order for certain sites
finished work orders as fast as possible
maintained end user satisfaction
contacted customer service for third party software
Pros
Fun fast pace working evirionment
Cons
Low pay

4.4