Morgan Borszcz Consulting Employee Reviews

Revolving door, bleh culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2018
Odd culture. Nobody is proud of working at MBC. At other small companies, employees are proud of the cutting-edge things the company is doing. At bigger companies like booz, there's pride in working for such a historic company doing such innovative, massive work. But at MBC, people are just ashamed. They are only there to do the bare minimum, get a paycheck and go home.

People come and go like clockwork. A revolving door of people who accept an offer because they really need a job, and then see how terrible it is so they leave as quickly as possible, and on and on the cycle continues. The people who do stay are the absolute worst. Incompetent, slow, nepotic and unethical.
Cons
The culture is horrible, and directly enabled by MBC leadership
Offbeat culture
FMS Case Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 13, 2018
Weird environment. Hostility from your own managers from the first day. Weird emphasis of wanting employees to "take responsibility for their own actions" which is insane a company would push that sentiment. It makes the company hyper-individualistic and is the root of the offbeat culture.

It doesn't help that MBC's management very openly does not care about their employees. And they make that very clear that you are on your own, and they will never support you.
Pros
Nobody cares about you or your career. You might as well be a 1099-contractor to them.
Cons
No support or management, no training, career advancement or opportunities. Dead end job.
Frustrating, unresponsive company
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 13, 2018
Completely backwards understanding of the client- support relationship. They take such a stiff, unimaginative approach to contracting. They really don't understand that govies are people too, and don't want to be treated like strangers. They also don't like watching contracting companies treat their employees poorly. So when MBC does something messed up in the name of "client delivery" they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Pros
self-destructive tactics, poor understanding of government contracting
Cons
self-destructive tactics, poor understanding of government contracting
Cowardly Management
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 13, 2018
Weak management that uses juvenile tactics to get things done. There is no semblance of professionalism. They don't even attempt to train their employees or help build their careers.

For instance, my current company pays $1,000 to any employee who completes a certain amount of the training they provide. Things like this are the norm at most companies: they care about their employees and pour into them. They communicate clearly with them, support them and give them what they need to excel not just at the company, but for their career. Long-term, this builds an "external network" of people who remain an asset to the company even when they've moved on in their careers.

MBC on the other hand is the opposite of this. They have a network of angry ex-workers. Even current junior employees hate the company and are trying to leave as soon as they are able to. Worst company culture I've ever seen.
Pros
None I can think of. They are as bad as they get
Cons
To many to list. Just don't work for them. Just don't.
Horrendous Place to Work – psycho company culture
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2018
The managers are to busy trying to bid on new contracts to keep the company afloat to actually manage their client delivery. So juniors/ client support are left in the dark and blamed for everything. But they can't hire a contracts team, because they pay managers to much so they don't leave and pay the owners/ executive board (who literally do nothing) handsome salaries and don't have anything left over to invest back in the company. So this circle-jerk of incompetence, arrogance and ignorance continues on and on and on, and genuinely harms everyone who comes in contact with MBC. Competent people cannot do their jobs when their managers refuse to actively support them. Do everyone a favor and don't give this company any business and don't accept any of their desperate job offers.
Pros
If you play the political games and sell your soul for a salary, things are generally fine.
Cons
Culture is nuts, people are tense and passive aggressive.
Impossible Place to work
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2017
Your own managers will not support you, check in on you, care about you, respond to your requests for training or provide you with what you need. They will actively work against you to make themselves look better and are about as pro-active as a sea slug. They use employees as scapegoats for when the government inevitably becomes upset with client delivery. It's truly amazing that this company manages to keep hobbling along, given they have burned every bridge in the entire industry.

I've never had seniors and managers actively try to undermine me and my work. That was a first for me. And it will be a last, because I will never accept a position at such a disreputable contractor again just because I like the client work. Lesson learned. I thought that MBC's obvious flaws would not influence my work, but it did in a major way. It was impossible to get work done the right way, and to be a professional in such a pedantic environment.
Pros
Little oversight, normal hours, below average pay
Cons
No ethics, no values, no leadership or communication
Immoral management
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 21, 2017
Manipulative tactics, dishonesty, unprofessional. Most negative culture I've ever seen in my life.

Highly elitist with extreme favoritism. If you are not in the "club" you are disposable. You never really feel like you are actually a part of a company.
Pros
If you can deal with the politics here, you can deal with anything
Cons
Power politics, blaming juniors for management failures, lying about their employees and situations.
Small company, but no family feel to it at all
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 16, 2017
Zero communication between employees and management. No mentorship, career development or training opportunities. Crazy, unprofessional hostility between managers and more junior employees. Weird personality conflicts. Offbeat and negative culture.
Pros
With a lack of management, you could come to work late or leave early usually
Cons
Weird personality conflicts. Offbeat and negative culture.
Good work-life balance, but no support and no training on the job
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2017
In every contracting company, there are "external" positions where the company manages and performs process improvements with the employees on task. MBC does not- and this is a major and critical difference between them and other companies. There are no employees dedicated to training or configuration management, which maximizes profits for MBC because they don't have to pay anyone on overhead. This allows slightly higher salaries, but creates the horrible, unprofessional and incompetent culture that everyone is talking about on here.

Managers and seniors would rather fire employees than provide them with basic resources.
Pros
Descent benefits and pay. There's no profit sharing, the benefits are average but they try to pay well since it's the only way to reduce turnover.
Cons
terrible culture, no teamwork, no collaboration, manipulative managers
No HR department or middle management
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2017
No HR (they outsource it) so that's a huge pain. There's no recruiting team so it takes months to fill positions, if at all. The teams are lopsided and always incomplete, which enables finger pointing. There's always extra work piled on to you because of unfilled positions on the team. Everyone's on edge and agitated. Everyone's always looking to leave. Gestapo-style management techniques.
Pros
descent work-life balance, average pay
Cons
Management, zero concern for employees, no social responsibility
Catch-22 Management
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 30, 2017
You are instructed to ask questions if you need help, but if you do ask a question, you get your head bitten off and reported on to the higher-ups. If you cause a senior to do any kind of work themselves, you get let go. It's a hostile, blame-shifting, greedy cesspool of incompetence. The point they keep drilling in is "take personal responsibility" which is code for "make us money and don't bother us".
Pros
short interview process, no extra training
Cons
no teamwork, individualistic culture
Bad Culture
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2017
MBC lowballs the government to gain contracts, so they don't have the financial bandwidth to do the job well.

There's no HR department, which makes hiring a mess.

The culture is all about "individual responsibility" not teamwork. So, if you ask for training or any form of support, you'll be fired.
Pros
Good location, normal salary
Cons
favoritism, political games
Jr Consultant
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2017
The company generally hires only people who have direct experience in the field of work, so there are some competent people at the company.

But elitist culture forms where new ideas are punished. The company plays political games in order to placate clients instead of practicing sound business policies.

Nobody has your back, and they will fire anyone who asks for training or anything from the seniors.
Pros
flexible hours, Rdo
Cons
total absence of communication, no teambuilding and no support from management
Systematic Mismanagement
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  San DiegoOctober 11, 2017
Poor treatment of employees, completely incompetent management and hostile work environment.

Blame -shifting of seniors to juniors, scapegoating in order to avoid corporate responsibility for mismanagement of government contracts
Pros
Normal salary and benefits
Cons
backstabbing, no management
Good Job, Salary on the lower end of the spectrum for consulting
IT Requirements Lead (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2015
I had a great time at MBC, however I felt that leadership was greatly lacking and that my salary was much lower than my peers

Comment – July 12, 2017

I agree with this. When you are brought on you will be much higher than your competitors, but after a few promotions and tenure at the company you will be making considerably less than your peers who joined later, at the same career level.

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  WPAFB, OHMay 15, 2015
Co-workers were great, although the team spirit was a little off kilter. Management didn't have our backs.
Benefits were expensive, but it's expensive everywhere
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Management didn't have our backs.
Loved working there.
Senior Analyst, Configuration Management (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 27, 2014
A typical day at work was never typical, That is why I liked it. I learned a lot about missiles. My job got stressful at times but I always enjoyed what I was doing. The most enjoyable part of my job was/were the people I worked with.
Pros
Good Money, My Consulting company treated me very well.
Cons
That the contract I was working on ended.
A good consulting company
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 28, 2013
MBC is a good place to work. You can learn a huge amount about the industry by working with very very smart colleagues and managers, but the relatively small size of the company can impede career development due to less internal opportunities.

Most enjoyable part of the job: Because the company is small and flexible, its easy to get involved in business development and add value outside of your contract. You can have a very measurable impact on anything you participate in, and this place is a great way to cut your teeth on higher level aspects of consulting.
Pros
Flexible, casual, but very competent culture.
Great Place to Work!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 3, 2012
MBC is a small business which allows for the opportunity to grow with the company. It also allows you to wear multiple hats and obtain training/experience in a variety of areas within your field of interest. Good company values, teamwork and genuine care make the culture fun and welcoming. Advancement opportunities are given based on performance and track record; those who are doing a good job are recognized and rewarded. The compensation that is offered is competitive with the market and the benefits are top notch. The opportunity to work from home and have a flexible schedule make maintaining a work-life balance easy. Definitely a company I would recommend to anyone considering a career move.
Pros
growth opportunity, recognition, work-life balance, compensation and benefits.
Great work environment with great people.
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Crystal City, Va.June 12, 2012
MBC is a great company with great benifits. The people here know how to make you feel welcome and as a whole, part of the team.