Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

All Star Team
SR BUSINESS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2018
I loved working for Morgan Stanley, it is a very fast paced environment. You work hard, with some of the most brilliant minds in the business. Very rewarding job for over achievers.
Good benefit and well structured organization
Operations and Technology Internal Audit Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2018
Generally a great place to work. It can get political and you need to be able to navigate through and be vocal about your career advancement. It depends a lot on who is your manager.
Pros
Great gym
Good firm and culture
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 19, 2018
Good firm and culture; enjoyed working with different teams globally. Management plays a good role in communicating strategy, building effective teams and developing people
The culture is not for everyone
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 19, 2018
I had a terrible manager. She monitored how long I was offline even bathroom breaks. Sucks because it was a great place but some managers needed additional training. The culture is very young and diverse. I was laid off after they had a bad year. Last in first out. The sick and vacation benefits were amazing. The pay was not great considering I am highly educated.
Pros
month of fully paid vacay/ unlimited sick days
Cons
poor culture
Poor Management
Senior Registered Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 19, 2018
Management is not knowledgable of any employees position, there is no career advancement and no culture, management does not support associates and will not pay attention to your needs
Retail Trader
Trader (Former Employee) –  New YorkJanuary 18, 2018
I enjoyed my tenure at MS. My coworkers were capable and management was engaged but not overbearing. This was in keeping with the corporate culture that demanded excellence, but supported the workers.
Empty promises; stilled hard workers are rewarded with extra tedious workload rather than with advancement.
Senior Registered Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
You’re mislead and filled with empty promises. The firm is penny smart/ pound foolish. The better and more experienced an employee is, he/she is spread out horizontally to do more tedious tasks for more people rather that being rewarded with advancement vertically as discussed when hired. It is also very chauvinistic.
Pros
Free coffee and birthday cake
Cons
Soul crushing suppression
Work at Morgan Stanley
Real Estate Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILJanuary 17, 2018
Morgan Stanley sold its lending division and people were laid off. Some were given the chance to go to the new company but many were not. We had no work for the last 6 months of employment.
Pros
My co-workers were nice and hard working
Cons
They did not adhere to their lending procesures
Fine if you want to be an advisor
Administrative Support / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 17, 2018
I wanted to work in the back office. There was no way to get to the back office from the front...it wasn't for me at all. Beware, at any time the lowest producers are let go!
Goals, Goals, Goals
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 16, 2018
Learned a lot but it was really due to self initiative and desire to succeed. Hard to be truly objective because I was there just following the dotcom meltdown of 2001. Having expanded greatly during the tech boom MS was now shuttering offices daily. The environment proved too difficult in which to achieve the lofty goals.
Great company to be with
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
Excellent job enjoyed working at the world trade center.
Thankful the company gave opportunity to enjoy learning how the
business world operate. Opportunity to work with dedicated
professionals
Highly Competitive and demanding
Commodities Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Purchase, NYJanuary 16, 2018
I loved my job because it was challenging. However, the job was very demaning as is the culture at Morgan Stanley. I spent a lot of hours at work and rarely saw my friends and family. Management did not promote work life balance. However, the compensation is good, the company provides great benefits and they are several perks & discounts.
Pros
Great benefits & compensation
Cons
lack of work life balance
Compartmentalized Organization
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
Be careful not to get silo'd into a group / division. Keep your options open and network between units. Manage up as much as they manage down. Good luck!
Cut throat environment
Vice President Weath Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
Manager was a liar and completely inept at his job. I was promised that I would be the recipient of a certain budget and it was misrepresented. I was also promised that I would get uncovered households to help build my practice. Also a lie
Pros
Flexibility
Inclusive company with advancement opportunities
Employee (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJanuary 16, 2018
This company had an inclusive, encouraging environment. It was a fast- paced career but the company also provided great benefits. It encouraged community involvement through volunteering.
Pros
Inclusive environment, great benefits
Cons
Large corporate structure
great company. one of last real brokerage firms left
Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJJanuary 15, 2018
went through financial crisis while at MS in 2008-2010, we made it out alive but it scared the heck out of me. It is a true brokerage company, but they got rid of MS asset management which i thought was a mistake.
Good Culture-Tough to get Promoted
Executive Assistant to the Global Head (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2018
Morgan Stanley has a great culture and provides outlets for collaboration. Tools for that collaboration need work. Administrative Staff has very little chance for advancement.
Supportive Management & Clear Firm Values
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 15, 2018
In general, managers are supportive of working staff and do well at backing up their teams. Strong culture which is being periodically reinforced. Big emphasis on doing the right thing.
Morgan Stanley
Executive Director, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2018
Morgan Stanley is a great firm, but tends to lag in compensation. I work with smart people and it is very collegial. But there is also a cement ceiling in terms of opportunity. There are lots of people at the top that are not going anywhere. And so when you are at a senior level, it's hard to see the opportunity when you know there is this brick wall that exists.
Pros
Great brand name
Cons
Compensation is not competitive
This was a contract position
Technology learning consultant for large (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2018
This was a contract position. I worked all over the country. Some offices were more stressful than others. It was during system conversion. They appear to have great benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morgan Stanley. Our community is ready to answer.