Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

Found 1,321 reviews matching the search
Great culture - excellent work life balance
Fixed Income Derivative Client Processing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 3, 2016
Morgan Stanley is a very great place to start out of college. You delve into the financial industry and gain exposure with different lines of business, asset classes, and people. The learning curve in the beginning is steep while you learn about the process, product, and systems but quickly adapt by the 6 month mark. There are plenty of sessions to interact with senior management and gain a higher level understanding of the firm. Once you familiarize yourself with your role, the day-to-day becomes very simple. The hardest part of the job is trying to look for ways to bring valuable change because the organization is so large.
Pros
PTO, work life balance, culture
Cons
Monotonous work
Overall a negative environment
Client Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 10, 2016
They really work hard to shove their "culture" down your throat. Some of the financial advisors treat their support staff well, but most are arrogant pricks who could not care less about how they treat you. Management is no better. They are either so burned out on the job that they go out of their way to be unhelpful in difficult situations, or they are totally drinking the MS cool-aid and the Firm can do no wrong.
Pros
Learned about investing, some of the other support staff are fun to work with
Cons
Limited choices of expensive benefits, arrogant financial advisors
Good Company, a few bad people...
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
Awesome training and development sessions. Strong work ethic. Very good pay and health benefits, including perks. After the several reorgs, some people became bitter, selfish, and vicious. Volunteer opportunities were the best.
Pros
Salary, work/life balance
Cons
No advancement. Juvenile staff. Discrimination. Ignorant educated fools!
Awesome Place to Grow
Several (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 13, 2015
I left MS in 2014 due to relocation, but I loved working at MS overall. The work life balance is the best out of any company I've ever worked for...hands down! MS really cares that you're able to have a life outside of work. I really love how active they are in philanthropic acts...everyone is encouraged to participate and it really makes working there worth while even more! The compensation was okay, but the benefits were great! There is plenty room for advancement. I began as a temp, then was hired permanent less than a month out of training. I had several lateral promotions and even crossed over into a branch. Management in the call center was good management has an open door policy and they take great pride in that. Management in the branch was impeccable! They always encouraged me to seek advancement. The job culture was wonderful and diverse...leaving so many people to learn from.
Pros
The greatest environment to learn in.
State of firm
AVP-Regional Diversity Officer (Current Employee) –  125 High Street Boston, MA 02110March 31, 2016
Constant change, with opportunity for advancement. Corporate culture is intense and has no room for doing what is morally correct.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Difficult Culture
nice place to work
Wealth Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2016
great place to start my career... learned alot from the advisors i worked with. work life balance and pay were very fair culture was nice and competitive
Still a great place ...
Summer Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2016
I still recall the time I was an intern. This was a great opportunity and my entry into the corporate world. The manager was great, the opportunity not so much because it was still in production. But it gave me an idea of what the corporate world was about. The intern program was great. The resources were awesome. And with many giving headaches about their experiences, versus what I saw, I still recommend it!
Pros
Management, work offices, benefits, elegance
Cons
Opportunity
Great Experiance
Wealth Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYMarch 20, 2016
Great Experiance all around! This is an Ace of an Experience and the knollage I have learded during my time there was undeniable some of the most aplicable knowledge I use in my every day life. I could not have had a better Mentor/ Co worker and happy to call friend at Morgan Stanley.
Pros
Structure, Co workers, Offices, Location, Mentor, Benefits
Great Culture, Supportive Management
UNIT HEAD-EARLY DISPUTE RESOLUTION GROUP (EDR) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2016
Great place to work. Employees are encouraged to grow and have full management support. Work life balance is a plus. Surrounded by smart, driven colleagues.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Compensation
Typcail workday
Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 1, 2016
The typical work day began at 9 AM and ended at 5:30. Hours were very flexible which provided a great work life balance. Compensation was fair for the value added in specific positions.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
ability to add value is limited
Good place to work for, Clean, Efficient, Ergonomic.
CAFIM-Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
Company allows you to be creative. Work space is adequate for team building group. Management door is always open for assistance. Co workers are well picked very knowledgeable for the type of work which makes a typical day at work fairly easy. you will learn what needed to get your work done. I don't believe if qualify for a job, there is a hardest part of it it's a job and it has to get done, usually the dead lines are challenging because of time constraint. The most enjoyable part of it is the job is the efficiency of the numbers and the time saving we can provide to others with the data collected.
Pros
Great outside spakers dealing with diffent subjects. Health Concient Free GYM
Cons
no complains
An ok company to work
VP, Quantitative Research (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2016
Good work life balance. But management needs to improve on advance careers for workers. It'll be better if there is bigger room to grow careers.
Strong Management, Great Coworkers, yet left things to be desired
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2016
Typical Day of Work is quite intense. Requires you to use your intellectual abilities and most roles require you to work in collaboration with others.

I've learned many different things but due to the focused nature of each role at such a large firm it is probably less than you would encounter at a smaller financial firm.

Management is very focused and goal oriented. Generally a good amount of focus is placed on leadership.

Coworkers are intelligent and personable. Occasionally, some make it into the firm due to relations with management, however those are fewer now then before.

Pay was reasonable, however for such a large firm that has had continued success due to it's people, not enough is paid in comparison to other firms.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Pay is somewhere in the middle of the rest of the street
Medical Billing Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2016
I really loved working at Pediatric Surgery-Children's Hospital of New York Presbyterian. I learned so much during all the years there. The Pediatric Surgeons are great to work with. Management is superb! My co-workers were awesome. We worked as a team all the time. Helped one another, because at the end of the day it was all about making sure the Patient was taken care of. Patients come first.
The hardest part of the job was every end of the month. I had to make sure all the billing was entered. Making sure the Physicians gave me all of the charges for that particular month. That meant working longer hours. Which was perfectly fine as long as all the billing was entered.
The most enjoyable part of the job was every Thursday when the department provided lunch for all the employees. It's a great place to work at:)
Pros
Team work, free lunch on Thursdays
Productive with a variety of projects.
SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 20, 2016
Start with checking inbox for orders to process first thing in the morning. Pull and sort Wire transfers to appropriate Financial Advisors. Then pulling faxes and sorting to appropriate employees. Getting mail, sorting correspondence, making copies, and slotting to employees mailbox. Back up assistance to Receptionist, Funds Received Clerk, and New Accounts Clerk. Responsible for all client files. Assisted Compliance Manager with his filing and other projects as needed.
Got along with my manager.
Enjoyed my co-workers.
The hardest part of the job, was time sensitive on paperwork and orders.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you completed all your work on a daily basis.
Pros
During Broker meeting, we had free lunches too.
Cons
Always feeling rushed and not having enough time.
Somewhat quiet floor but interesting work - Purchase
Consultant Regulatory Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Purchase, NYMarch 9, 2016
Great colleagues and interesting work were the best parts of this job, along with the compensation. The hardest part of this job for me was the commute as it was located in Purchase NY and the campus is far away from any thing that you might need to pick up during the day.
Pros
Bright and clean, good compensation
Cons
A bit quiet on the floor, no ability to take a call or eat lunch at your desk and relax.
Great
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2016
Morgan Stanley, one of the largest full-service brokerage companies in the U.S., took full control of Smith Barney. In 2012 Morgan Stanley announced that its U.S. wealth management business, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, has been renamed Morgan Stanley Wealth Management (MSWM).

Morgan Stanley Private Wealth Advisors address our clients’ most important concerns and aspirations, from coordinating investment strategy and managing risk in multiple portfolios and entities worldwide, to aligning family governance structures and estate plans with their values and hopes for future generations, to connecting them with our investment bankers and capital markets specialists. We begin with gaining an in-depth understanding of every client’s specific needs and objectives. Then we tailor a wealth management approach that considers all of their goals—for their investments, and for their lives.
Pros
Morgan Stanley
Cons
Morgan Stanley
Good Place
Web Application Developer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2016
Good Company to work with,
Provides Nice work culture with no worries about your salary,
Good management
nice ambience
Typical corporate environment
Risk & Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 28, 2016
There is nothing special about this company, it's the same as every other big financial company. Too many managers, many of whom have no clue what they're doing, so they cover for it by micro managing.

If you are a temp, they don't care about you, you will have very low pay, long hours for no reason (the work load doesn't require it). When you first interview they will tell you that it's a temp to perm position, but that doesn't happen. The limit for temps is 2 years and then they get rid of you.

Emails will get sent about job fairs, and presentations about other departments, but temps aren't allowed to go to those.
Pros
It's inside
Cons
Micro managing, no opportunities, low pay, long hours
Client focused
Business Service Manager Vice President (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJFebruary 20, 2016
Work in large office with 65 financial advisors and 22 person staff. Supervise support staff and assist financial advisors with trades, expenses, and banking and lending.
Pros
Competitive benefits
Cons
Demanding schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morgan Stanley. Our community is ready to answer.