Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Wealth Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 9, 2017
As an intern, I was able to learn not only about the wonderful investment opportunities, I was able to establish real working relationships with clients.
Fast Paced and Good Mentorship
Wealth Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2017
Morgan Stanley was a fun and intense internship. I got to work alongside the financial advisors of the Stanek Group and aid their clients in whatever they might need. I learned more in this internship than I did in many of my classes in University. The real life application of my finance and accounting knowledge allowed me to see the practical uses of many of my learned skills. My manager was very generous and fair - he was a wonderful mentor to me and treated me as one of the team members rather than simply an intern. The team did not ask me to run coffee for them or just copy papers - instead, I was able to work with clients, create portfolios, screen stocks, help with investment planning, and even work on trusts and funds with the advisors. I deeply enjoyed working with the Stanek Group at Morgan Stanley and I would highly recommend the Chicago location to anyone else.
Work Life Balance, Volunteering events strongly encourages
Director, Legal and Compliance (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 9, 2017
Great place to work.

Looking for a new opportunity closer to home due to the commute and expense of commuting

Lead and Manage the Registration Forms Filing and International Sales Group teams to ensure Registered individuals are properly Registered to conduct business, with current regulatory guidance. Significantly reduced backlog within 2 months and working current cases. Onboarded and trained a new team in Mumbai. Implemented process and metrics efficiencies and peer to peer review. Work with Global counterparts for consistency, assist FA Compensation with account swings, branch opening and closings onboarding of Recruits and responsible for Trainee Programs and Summer Intern Programs.
Cons
Commute
One of the largest brokerage firms.
Financial Advisor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 8, 2017
I gave it a shot but you have to love and live the stock market and that wasn't me. It's cut throat with everyone after your customers and you going after someone elses. Again not for me.
Pros
I learned a lot about investing.
Cons
cut throat
not able to answer
Broker 7 & 63 (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYOctober 6, 2017
days very busy, sometimes go into office before my original start time just to catch up, most enjoyable, speaking to clients
hardest is dealing with incompetent management
good place to land
Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 5, 2017
It was a great company to start up a career in financial advising. I would recommend them to anybody. Very nice support staff and beautiful office space!
Productive and fun
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTOctober 4, 2017
Fast-pased, exacting, met great people. Company supports and pays for licensing education. Management is great, compassionate.
Busy phones. Catered lunches, nice associates.
Pros
Free lunches, great people, easy access to managers
Cons
Busy
Innovative environment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2017
Trying to be efficient and effective in use of technology and operational processes. Great infrastructure, good working space and very nice and helpful people.
Work Place Summary
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2017
Lot of good folks still exist here but lately the culture has changed to one of talkers than doers. However i still contend this is one of the good companies to work for
Financial Advisor Associate
Financial Advisor Associate Program (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2017
The commission payout is very low and in favor of the firm compared to other firms on the street. The turnover rate of financial advisor associates is even higher.
Great Environment
Wealth Management Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Florham Park, NJOctober 2, 2017
A great place to work with extremely intelligent people. I would highly recommend this company to anyone interested in the financial services industry.
Cons
No Cons
Productive and fun workplace
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2017
It is refreshing to work with so many smart and productive people. Really great culture. Would love to go back there some day. Definitely recommend Morgan Stanley as a company to work for.
A very professional and fun place to work
UAT Lead (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 2, 2017
Located in one of the most beautiful cities in the United States, Morgan Stanley's Salt Lake city branch offers an excellent workplace culture to excel your career in finance and learn from one of the most talented people in the finance industry. I had an amazing experience working with UAT team at Morgan Stanley.
Stressful and highly competitive
Project Coordinator/Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2017
Very stressful environment and cut throat. No room for advancement and management wasn't very friendly. Compensation was good and my co workers were good people.
Pros
Great co workers.
Cons
Management, work culture.
A great work environment
Senior Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 29, 2017
Loved working with some of the nicest people in SC.
Work day was 8am to 5 pm Monday through Friday.

Various work duties made the days move by quickly.

Clients were incredible people; very understanding and very friendly.

Managers were great people.

I learned a great deal in my 10 years with this company, and endured many owner changes. Started as Robinson Humphry / Smith Barney and evolved into finally Morgan Stanley.
Pros
Wonderful work hours and pay
Cons
Company valued orginal Morgan Stanley employees, over those it inherited when purchasing Smith Barney.
Balanced work life in productive enviornment
Sr. Software Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2017
Worked with highly professional people and enjoyed part of the job. Would love to go back if i get a chance. Great company to work for where you have proper work life balance.
Dull and Dry Workplace
Capital Markets Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 29, 2017
Entered the company through their operations analyst program. Minimal training to do full-time functions. Pay is not competitive within the market. Work is either super busy or not busy at all with minimal learning/growth opportunities.
Lots of opportunity, little flexibility
Director, Securities Lending (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 29, 2017
Meritocracy, where the truly talented can find a way to succeed, even if it requires changing jobs internally. Management is hit-or-miss, but there is a strong culture of internal job mobility. There is routine, stress-free work, but the truest "career" jobs will generally be immensely time-consuming, and probably stressful. A lot of fulfillment to be had for those wanting to achieve, but I'd suggest the company primarily for "live to work" types who won't burn out after 11 hour days, missing project deadlines, etc.
Pros
Challenge, some cultural aspects
Cons
Work-life balance
Cut-throat
Consultant - Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2017
Very difficult to move anywhere, no work-life balance unless you are at least executive director. Primarily consulting work and low budgets mean that you will eventually be handed additional job duties. Work twice as hard for half the reward.
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
Everything else.
very busy
Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 28, 2017
not enough reps to handle call volume. lots of overtime due to this. not good training. each person fills several roles. seems to be a job not a career

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morgan Stanley. Our community is ready to answer.