Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

A good Finacial firm to work for
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Multiple OfficesNovember 5, 2017
Goof name recognition firm. Learned some decent sales skills. Management was OK but catered to the top producers of course. Very competitive, sink or swim culture, but that par for the course in this industry.
On your own.
Financial Advisor Training Program (Former Employee) –  Washington StateNovember 3, 2017
Bring over a book, buy a book, or work for a relative. 9 out of 10 won't make it past a year without a built-in client base. Little choice in product/solutions for clients with <$250,000. Management still thinks cold-calling can built a book cause it worked for them 15-20 years ago. Little to no web presence for advisors. Good investment research and banking departments. Very little support for new advisors.
Pros
Good name
Cons
No support for new advisors.
Not a good place to be
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2017
Lots of selfish people especially management who is extremely political and self interested. Constant cliques and dirty politics. Factory style desks. No privacy. Huge turnover which is fully acknowledged and supported by upper management. Uneven workload. You could have nothing to do for a month then work 4 weekends in a row. Sterile workplace, people are very fake. Typical culture is for upper management to blast an email congratulating their department on completion of a project. Lots of smart people. Great junior people.
Pros
The name
Cons
Poor work life balance, stuffy and sterile, high turnover
not a good place to work
Datacenter Manager - Hardware (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2017
only there for a year and went to Citigroup, would not want to work there again. I have nothing more to say on the subject,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Exciting place to work
Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2017
Excellent promotion opportunities, full of very capable people. Great growth prospects.Technology is not as cutting edge as one expects from an investment bank, specifically on the infrastructure side.
Tough way to start from scratch
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Florence, ALOctober 31, 2017
Too much reliance on friends and family for success. Limited by market that I worked in. Unless you have access to high-net worth prospects going in, it is very difficult to earn enough income when starting without any book of business.
good lace to work. N
Senior Client Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2017
Overall, a very nice place to work.The FA's are all very friendly.
Some of the back office employees were not helpful.I would, though, go back to work for them. A dayn at work starts off with a meeting with my FA. We strategize for the day, what we intend to do.
I check the calendar to see if any of the clients need attention.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the telephone call, they are constant. The best part of the day is 4:00 PM, when the market closes and we can relax.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
New employees were very uppity
Dead end workplace
Private Wealth Management Client Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 31, 2017
They promote opportunities for advancement with the company bit only hire contractors initially. After 1-3 years working with the company they may offer you a position or they may have a mass layoff before it is time to promote and increase your pay.
Horrendous Culture
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 31, 2017
A daily soul sucking grind which I will never be able to truly describe. Meetings which accomplished absolutely nothing and out of touch corporate hierarchy that only cared about meeting numbers and targets.
Pros
Free coasters for drinks on your table
Cons
Very expensive benefit options
Working with good people and learning a lot
Senior Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 28, 2017
Morgan Stanley is a place where you can learn a lot and work with good people who genuinely care about you. I would like to see more of the New York type job opportunities in smaller cities to help with further advancement.
Morgan Stanley
Director of Firmwide Operations (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 28, 2017
Morgan Stanley has been a great place to work but the lack of work life balance has created a negative work environment. You have to be able to have a life out of work and as a person with a young family, this has become more and more of a challenge. I absolutely love working hard but the pendulum has swung too far to that side and there is no balance.

A typical work day is at least 10 hours, which is very much in line with the industry and most people seem to be very fine with this. I manage a team in Baltimore and also a vendor team in India. A 10 hour work day is an extremely good day. However, typically the average is 11-12 if not more and currently the hours worked by the team over the course of a month is more in line with working 5-6 weeks worth of hours over the month. There is very little work/life balance which is the stressor for most of my team and the department currently. The problem with this is that it is not just a peak over an end of month period of the end of quarter, it has been this way for a year so most people across the department are at breaking point which is what is driving our attrition.

Workload is partially driven by the product you are supporting and also the location, which as a whole is going through a very tough time as there is direct competition and viable options for other employment which is contributing to the attrition. The problem is, it has continue to go through a tough time for a year and despite the Directors being very vocal and active in playing a part to provide options, ideas and plans of how to proceed there is very little
  more... coming back down the pipeline from senior management.

There has been extremely high turn over across the Director and Officer population and the management is very clearly struggling with the impacts of that. Key person dependency which we have trying to avoid is becoming almost impossible to address. The direct impact on myself has meant that there is very little support from senior management for and across the entire Director population. The analyst and associate population are also being severely pressed due to the continued turn-over at that level as well. Workloads continue to increase because the Firm is very successful and business will naturally increase off the back of that. However, with the turn over happening below and above the Directors the role is increasingly challenging across the board feeding into the above points and statements made.

At the point now where I have to find balance and I cannot find that where I am.
Pros
Vacation benefits are high. 4 weeks paid vacation.
Cons
Work/life balance
Energetic and intense work place.
Registered Assistant Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 26, 2017
I learned to trade options which helped to solidify my position within my team.

It provided plenty of opportunities to learn about financial products.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction and rush of energy that one gets when a large trade goes as planned.

I loved the energy.
Pros
Paid for my MBA
Cons
Bonuses were not consistent.
Top flight global financial services company
Executive Director/Fixed Income (Former Employee) –  West Conshohocken, PAOctober 26, 2017
A wonderful team-oriented culture. Strong people across the firm. Has the people and the products to compete with anyone. Strong balance sheet and earnings.
Great Place to Work
Vice President, Complex Risk Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
A typical day is fast paced and you need to be able to change gears at any moment. Culture was family oriented and included many opportunities to collaborate with your colleagues
Great workplace, great people
Investment Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 25, 2017
Working private wealth management is not for everyone, but if you're one of them, there is nothing to dislike about this office. The people are great - extremely friendly and helpful - and the view is unbelievable.
Pros
Great people
Optics more important than work
Analyst III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2017
A good place to be if you like the stock market and meeting people. Demanding culture but rewards those that work hard. Lot of smart and hard working people.
terrible company
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 25, 2017
they pay for you to study for your series 7/66
no training
you will be laid off after 1 year if you fail to acquire $3M in assets under management
you should only work here if you think you can acquire $30M in assets under management
Pros
free education
Cons
everything else
Na
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  South Florida, FLOctober 25, 2017
Morgan Stanley is a great brand name. I enjoyed the position and the environment. My work life balance was great. If you're a new person, I recommend that you work with a team.
Financial Assistant to the Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLOctober 23, 2017
Was a very hectic place to work but the people were very nice and my VP was excellent. They also did many things for the community and were alsways helpful
Great Culture
Wealth Advisor Associate (Current Employee) –  Stuart, FLOctober 23, 2017
Great culture within this company. They give you all the necessary tools to succeed. You have to be sure you're dedicated and focused as this is an extremely competitive environment.
Pros
Cons
Stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morgan Stanley. Our community is ready to answer.