Morningstar

Morningstar Employer Reviews

Good Place to Work
Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: benifits
Cons: rare opportunities to move up.
Solid place to work, moving up is difficult. Good smart people work here.
Company with a mission and strong sense of values
Product Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2013
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: opportunities of advancement
Morningstar’s mission is to create great products that help investors reach their financial goals. Morningstar has a set of six core values that guide us in everything we do. We use these core values to formulate our strategies and direct our business decisions, and we expect every employee to embrace and embody these values throughout the course of – more... business every day.

Investors First
Putting investors’ interests above all else is the foundation of our company. We believe that our strength comes largely from the faith that investors have in us. Whether we’re reaching investors directly or through advisors and institutions, our ultimate goal is to help the individual investor.

Great Products
We don’t settle for good. By excelling in research, design, and technology, we strive to create industry-defining products that delight our clients and eclipse the competition. Our products must be insightful, innovative, beautiful, and useful, and the service we provide should be as great as the products we create.

Great People
We want people who are smart, hard-working, curious, creative, and passionate about their work. We encourage employees to learn and grow throughout their careers. Every person here matters and contributes to our success. We go out of our way to attract, retain, challenge, and reward great people.
Uncompromising Ethics
Morningstar is successful because investors trust us. We must always approach our work with absolute integrity and independence. We expect all employees to adhere to the highest ethical standards at all times, even if it costs us business.

Entrepreneurial Spirit
We believe that companies should grow, but never grow old. Our entrepreneurial roots continue to inspire and guide us as our business expands and matures. We value independent thinking, nimble decision-making, and creative, unconventional solutions.

Financial Success
We believe that when we pursue our mission of creating great products that help investors, financial success will follow. This allows us to reinvest in our business, build long-term shareholder value, and further our work of helping investors. – less
Morning star is very helpful,
House Keeping (Former Employee), Brunswick, GAAugust 9, 2013
Pros: 15 minute breaks
Cons: small to no lunch
Morning star has helped my with all my job experience. They have helped me grow tremendously.
Terrible
Tech sector (Former Employee), Chicago,ILJuly 5, 2013
Pros: very lazy environment
Cons: unstable
Very unstable organization. Only good for college graduates and pre-retirement ages
Morningstar: Rude, overworked, and undepaid situation
unusual situation (Former Employee), Chicago,ILJune 27, 2013
Cons: no privacy, people clustered in teams at the plain tables, open floor plan (there are no even cubicles) causes a lot of sick people been in the flu season.
If you are an experienced, qualified, and educated professional do not go there. They base their workforce on inexperienced college graduates who grow with a low salary and expectations. They give perks which people cannot use because of tons of work and no resources. Therefore people mostly forced to skip their time off plus work overtime because of – more... the understaffed situation. Other unpleasant nuances are: no privacy, people clustered in teams at the plain tables; open floor plan (there are no even cubicles) causes a lot of sick people been in a flu season. – less
Young culture, knowledgable leadership, below average compensation
Project Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 5, 2013
Overall an average to good place to work.

Below average compensation in known throughout the company.
Good work life balance, but productivity leaves much to be desired
Fund Analyst (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 3, 2013
If you want a good work-life balance, Morningstar is a great company to work for. If you want to make a lot of money and achieve a high degree of professional competency, look elsewhere.
Not very enjoyable
Line Monitor (Current Employee), Sulphur Springs, TXMay 27, 2013
I go into work and have a shift meeting. I find out what is going on in the plant. I check for quality samples and bring them into the lab for the lab techs to test them to make sure we are running good product.
Great work/life balance and good people
Client Solutions Consultant - Morningstar Office (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: great benefits, unlimited vacation, great work/life balance
Cons: compensation is below average
A typical day at work consists of working with clients to help them better implement our products into their daily lives. It involves a lot of creative problem-solving and client management skills

-Management is generally transparent about what they are trying to accomplish, but do not micromanage your day

-co-workers are generally young, friendly, – more... and easy to work with

-The hardest part of the job is managing delicate client situations

-The most enjoyable part of the job is solving those client problems and improving their daily lives – less
Great Benefits, Terrible Middle/Lower Management
Former Employee (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2012
Pros: bagel day, benefits
Cons: poor middle/lower management, poor checks and balances in infrastructure.
It's a very nice place if you're into modernist furnitures, and bagel Wednesdays. The company provides great benefits, although the hiring/and promotion practice is confusing. The political atmosphere in the middle/lower management use their leverage to take advantage of employees. HR will tries but most to little to settle a conflict between worker – more... and management, and has a track record of siding with the latter. It's a cosmetically beautiful environment, but beneath the surface is no different than most other corrupt institutions. – less
very good working place
International Business Analyst Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2012
Nice working environment
flexable schedule
nice people there
Great place to work and great people!
Warehouse and forklift worker (Former Employee), Sulphur Springs, TXJune 8, 2012
Pros: 40 degress year round
Cons: none!!!!
I learned alot about warehouse work includung inventory management, forklift operation, and picking orders.
Good culture, Low compensation
Mutual Fund Data Analyst (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 16, 2012
Morningstar has a good work-life balance and people are nice to work with. The organization structure is flat which contributes to a non-hierarchical work environment but also provides less promotion opportunities compare to traditional financial companies. The compensation is lower than the industry level. Otherwise, Morningstar is a not bad starting – more... point to launch a career. – less
Office Manager (Former Employee), Riverside, CAMay 7, 2012
Pros: virtual office, some flexibility in schedule
Cons: long hours, high stress/fast pace
Morningstar is a fast-paced background investigation company. Even with our small staff, we were a viable competitor in the marketplace. A typical day involved getting all of our client requests entered into our database, routing names out to the field staff, taking researcher results, and returing the results to our clients. I oversaw all office and – more... field staff. We had a terrific staff of dedicated workers for the most part. I loved every day working for MSI. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with court parameters and schedules. The most enjoyable was working with clients and staff. – less
productive and fun work place
Sr.Software Engineer (Former Employee), Mumbai, MHMay 1, 2014
typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Challenging work
Bilingual Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 17, 2014
Typical day - ensure information on websites is up to date and accurate

Learned how to perfect quality assurance

Management is nice and understanding

Co-workers are helpful

Hardest part of the job last minute long hours

Enjoyable part was casual wear
fun and international workplace
Client support consultant - Sales support (Current Employee), Milano, LOMJuly 2, 2013
This is a very challenging and international place to work.
People are great and the various teams are very well organized.
Salaries are a bit below the avarage
Dans l'ensemble positif!
Responsable Evénements et Marketing (Current Employee), ParisApril 3, 2014
Beaucoup d'avantage et très bonne ambiance.
Enormément de travail, de challenge.
Rencontre multi-culturelle.
Beaucoup d'ouverture

About Morningstar

Morningstar offers a smorgasbord of financial information to individual, professional, and institutional investors via Internet, – Read more