Morningstar

Morningstar Employee Reviews

Its great
Design Intern (Former Employee), ChicagoApril 28, 2015
Being an intern at Morningstar is great! The people are nice, the work is fun and the perks are great. The connections I made helped me with some personal projects I was working on.
Director of Human Resources East Coast (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 7, 2015
Morningstar is a well known brand in the financial services industry. Talented group of people and dynamic environment.
Great work/life balance
Intern (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2015
Morningstar has a great atmosphere, as well as incredibly hard working, nice people. I wholeheartedly believe the company strives to accomplish their six ideals: Investors First, Great Products, Great People, Uncompromising Ethics, Entrepreneurial Spirit, Financial Success.
Good work environment
Electrician Helper (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCDecember 19, 2014
Pros: 1099
Cons: 1099
A typical day at work generally is non stop fast pace but relaxed atmosphere. I learned how to install wires and other electrical equipment as well as electrical codes. Management is not the best but always around for help when needed. All co workers are one man teams that are good at whatever the job detail entails. A very diverse group. The hardest part of the job is trenching by far.The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things everyday and applying it.
Great environment and benefits
Senior Web Marketing Manager - Morningstar.com (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2014
Pros: environment, benefits
Very nice environment and benefits. It would be hard to find a better place to work in the Chicago area.
Awesome place to work but they closed and moved out of state
Landman (Former Employee), Azle, TXOctober 17, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: not knowing how long you would have a job
It was a fun place to work everyone got along. We went to lunch together most of the time. Part of the work week was at the work week was at the courthouse and we finished up at the office.
A great place to work
Head of Global Asset Management Sales (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2014
One of Chicago's Top Employers. Bright people, great thought leadership, global opportunites and interesting work. Morningstar's broad global base of clients and focus on investors is rewarding.
Good company, but going through a lot of fundamental changes
Project Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2014
It's a great company, very open minded. It encourages the entrepreneur spirit. Have great work and life balance. But the compensation is not competitive in the industry.
Good Place to Work
Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: benifits
Cons: rare opportunities to move up.
Solid place to work, moving up is difficult. Good smart people work here.
Company with a mission and strong sense of values
Product Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2013
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: opportunities of advancement
Morningstar’s mission is to create great products that help investors reach their financial goals. Morningstar has a set of six core values that guide us in everything we do. We use these core values to formulate our strategies and direct our business decisions, and we expect every employee to embrace and embody these values throughout the course of business every day.

Investors First
Putting investors’ interests above all else is the foundation of our company. We believe that our strength comes largely from the faith that investors have in us. Whether we’re reaching investors directly or through advisors and institutions, our ultimate goal is to help the individual investor.

Great Products
We don’t settle for good. By excelling in research, design, and technology, we strive to create industry-defining products that delight our clients and eclipse the competition. Our products must be insightful, innovative, beautiful, and useful, and the service we provide should be as great as the products we create.

Great People
We want people who are smart, hard-working, curious, creative, and passionate about their work. We encourage employees to learn and grow throughout their careers. Every person here matters and contributes to our success. We go out of our way to attract, retain, challenge, and reward great people.
Uncompromising Ethics
Morningstar is successful because investors trust us. We must always approach our work with absolute integrity and independence. We expect all employees to adhere to the highest ethical standards at all times, even if it costs us business.

Entrepreneurial – more... Spirit
We believe that companies should grow, but never grow old. Our entrepreneurial roots continue to inspire and guide us as our business expands and matures. We value independent thinking, nimble decision-making, and creative, unconventional solutions.

Financial Success
We believe that when we pursue our mission of creating great products that help investors, financial success will follow. This allows us to reinvest in our business, build long-term shareholder value, and further our work of helping investors. – less
Morning star is very helpful,
House Keeping (Former Employee), Brunswick, GAAugust 9, 2013
Pros: 15 minute breaks
Cons: small to no lunch
Morning star has helped my with all my job experience. They have helped me grow tremendously.
Terrible
Tech sector (Former Employee), Chicago,ILJuly 5, 2013
Pros: very lazy environment
Cons: unstable
Very unstable organization. Only good for college graduates and pre-retirement ages
Morningstar: Rude, overworked, and undepaid situation
unusual situation (Former Employee), Chicago,ILJune 27, 2013
Cons: no privacy, people clustered in teams at the plain tables, open floor plan (there are no even cubicles) causes a lot of sick people been in the flu season.
If you are an experienced, qualified, and educated professional do not go there. They base their workforce on inexperienced college graduates who grow with a low salary and expectations. They give perks which people cannot use because of tons of work and no resources. Therefore people mostly forced to skip their time off plus work overtime because of the understaffed situation. Other unpleasant nuances are: no privacy, people clustered in teams at the plain tables; open floor plan (there are no even cubicles) causes a lot of sick people been in a flu season.
Young culture, knowledgable leadership, below average compensation
Project Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 5, 2013
Overall an average to good place to work.

Below average compensation in known throughout the company.
Good work life balance, but productivity leaves much to be desired
Fund Analyst (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 3, 2013
If you want a good work-life balance, Morningstar is a great company to work for. If you want to make a lot of money and achieve a high degree of professional competency, look elsewhere.
Not very enjoyable
Line Monitor (Current Employee), Sulphur Springs, TXMay 27, 2013
I go into work and have a shift meeting. I find out what is going on in the plant. I check for quality samples and bring them into the lab for the lab techs to test them to make sure we are running good product.
Great work/life balance and good people
Client Solutions Consultant - Morningstar Office (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2013
Pros: great benefits, unlimited vacation, great work/life balance
Cons: compensation is below average
A typical day at work consists of working with clients to help them better implement our products into their daily lives. It involves a lot of creative problem-solving and client management skills

-Management is generally transparent about what they are trying to accomplish, but do not micromanage your day

-co-workers are generally young, friendly, and easy to work with

-The hardest part of the job is managing delicate client situations

-The most enjoyable part of the job is solving those client problems and improving their daily lives
Great Benefits, Terrible Middle/Lower Management
Former Employee (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2012
Pros: bagel day, benefits
Cons: poor middle/lower management, poor checks and balances in infrastructure.
It's a very nice place if you're into modernist furnitures, and bagel Wednesdays. The company provides great benefits, although the hiring/and promotion practice is confusing. The political atmosphere in the middle/lower management use their leverage to take advantage of employees. HR will tries but most to little to settle a conflict between worker and management, and has a track record of siding with the latter. It's a cosmetically beautiful environment, but beneath the surface is no different than most other corrupt institutions.
very good working place
International Business Analyst Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2012
Nice working environment
flexable schedule
nice people there
Great place to work and great people!
Warehouse and forklift worker (Former Employee), Sulphur Springs, TXJune 8, 2012
Pros: 40 degress year round
Cons: none!!!!
I learned alot about warehouse work includung inventory management, forklift operation, and picking orders.

About Morningstar

Morningstar offers a smorgasbord of financial information to individual, professional, and institutional investors via Internet, – Read more