Morningstar Employee Reviews

A Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2017
I love the company because everyone is so welcoming, friendly, and willing to help you. I learned the importance of data and data plays a big part at the company.
Family Oriented Nice Place to work
OPERATIONS/SITE RELIABILITY ENGINEER MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2017
Morningstar is a good company to be an employee. I have worked here for numerous years. The company has provided me with great opportunities that has allowed me to grow as an individual.
Fun place to work, good hours.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYJune 4, 2017
Learned a lot of new skills at this job, learned how to work as a team with a lot of new friends/coworkers. Balance with my personal life was a little hard, but hours were good, had a decent paycheck.
Team enviornment
Warehouse Worker/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Sulphur Springs, TXJune 1, 2017
Morning star is a competitive company focused on production. The atmosphere is decent depending on the shift you work other than that its a steady paycheck
On the "Best Places to Work" list but lacking as of late
OPERATIONS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 30, 2017
Morningstar offers a lot in the way of benefits but it balances that out by not providing competitive salaries.

The work/life balance is very important and the company seriously aspires to make sure that employees have the opportunity to grow personally and professionally.

Benefits in addition to the typical healthcare and 401k include:

- unlimited vacation days
- flex time
- 6 week paid sabbatical every four years
- education stipend

Again, the benefits are great and the culture is laid-back and low stress. However, compensation take a back seat to this.
Pros
Flex time, competitive benefits package
Cons
Compensation is on the low end across all roles
Interesting place to work
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Moravian Falls, NCApril 20, 2017
Was a great place to worship but a very difficult place to work. There is a breakdown in the communication and the expectations are unclear. The work environment was fun most of the time.
Fun and Social Workplace with Great Work-Life Balance
Marketing Associate, Investment Management (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2017
Morningstar has a lot of opportunities to learn and grow within the company. It has a footprint in a lot of different parts of the financial services and investments industry, and gives you a great ability to move around the company into new roles if you so choose.

The culture is very casual and laid back for a company in the financial services industry, almost feeling like a tech start-up at times with the amount of collaboration, usage of technology, and relaxed work environment.
Intern
EQUITY RESEARCH INTERN, INDUSTRIALS SECTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2017
Great place to learn. Great people, solid fundamental values and expectations. Good opportunity for growth. Highly laid back environment, good work life balance.
Falls short of being a great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakland, MDJanuary 20, 2017
Seems good when you start but falls short after your there awhile. Management is either short-sighted or autocratic, but the company otherwise is a good place to work.
Very enjoyable work space with good colleagues.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2017
There I would help file, scan, and review documents for my colleagues. I learned so much there because at the same time I was in high school. The school provided this student intern job to help pay for our tuition for school. hardest part of the job was being to learn all these new things for me but not impossible because I am a fast learner. Most enjoyable part of this job was being able to get treated like a grown up and not a child for working in such an important company.
Pros
We had we bagels on Wednesdays and got taken out to eat once in a while.
Cons
The internship ended due to school ending for the year.
Productive and laziness
CNA (Current Employee) –  Parker, CODecember 29, 2016
I could go on and on about morning star it has its pros and con's.. Constantly changing management and rules that must be followed, the lack of caring for residents.. But developing bonds with residents I'd truly amazing.. I'm a hard worker I don't like laziness.
Pros
Values and developing amazing relationships with elderly
Cons
Constant lack of shifts, employees, laziness, management is awful
Knowledge is Key
Filed Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Williams, CADecember 7, 2016
I like to learn and stay on my toes, a safe but fast paste in the work industry, anything new i can get me hands on, i enjoy doing. field coordinating, always meeting new people, great group of people to work with, showing respect to one and another.
Pros
Fast paste
Cons
weather in fields
Laid back, relaxed but hard working, client centric
Vice President - Head of East Coast Biz Dev (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2016
Very comfortable laid back atmosphere but young, vibrant company that is not only client centric but also employee focused. It takes a long term approach to building a company which I think is healthy and clients appreciate it.
Pros
bagel day, casual dress, unlimited vacation
Cons
compensation, sometimes too laid back
Cleaning Data
Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  ShenzhenOctober 11, 2016
I learnt to work as a team. Do my part of work best or it will bring inconveniences to others. Even a small work is important in a large company.
Pros
Staff activity
Cons
Long commuting
short staffed, Co-workers work hard
QMAP/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Parker, COSeptember 27, 2016
Typical day involves caring and getting meals for residents in your designated area. Management has a high turn over so it is disorganized at times. Co-workers always work hard with you and you truly work as a team.
Pros
energetic environment
Nice workplace
Product Owner (SCRUM) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2016
• Created a product strategy for revenue growth by evaluating the business needs of global advisors and asset management firms; achieved $3M revenue target for the first year.
Progressive company in the investment research industry
Director of IT Planning and Program Management (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2016
Progressive company with top-of-the-line benefits - very entrepreneurial company with good products and good people. Good place to work and learn tons of things.
Good benefits
Senior Production Artist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Morningstar. I felt it was a fair work environment with good benefits. I was able to manage several projects from concept to completion.
Good seasonal job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Banos, CAJuly 10, 2016
See the previous post for a good overview of the type of company your dealing with. Just filling up space to have enough to get out of this required review.
Excellent culture with limited growth opportunities
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2016
Though I have had the same job title for a number of years the position has been a constant evolution but as I sought growth opportunities they have been tough to find internally.