Morris Furniture Co., Inc. Employee Reviews

Great culture, great people
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Harshman RdJuly 28, 2017
At my location, Morris has a very positive culture that bleeds over into the customer experience, which is great. Customers have been shopping here for many years and are a pleasure to deal with. The leadership team cares about the associates and the customers. The pay is based largely on effort and people with a great work ethic and high character are rewarded the most. It is truly a team effort and the customers enjoy witnessing that rare collaboration.
Pros
Great culture, fun work experience.
Cons
Leadership training could use more structure
Toxic environment
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHJune 29, 2017
Good pay. Long hours, especially if you have a long-haul route. Some teams will average 12-14 hours a day especially during busy times. Your pay is base rate plus commission. If you have refusals and/or damages it affects your pay. If you have a home damage it is only base rate for that day.
Management is horrible. It always has been. Some managers are constantly undermined by someone with higher authority and belittled in front of their workers they are supposed to be in charge of. Certain people in upper management play favorites and that undermines the delivery managers authority. Communication is horrendous and you will be talked about behind your back. If you try to speak up you will be alienated and forced out. They do not value your home/life balance. You're not valued and you are just a number.
Pros
Good pay. Co-workers
Cons
Hours, Management
Productive and fun workplace
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYApril 11, 2017
Great company. Basic office duties including phone orders, running daily reports and filing. Friendly staff. Training including printout reference binder.
morris
Recieving Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHApril 5, 2017
Worked hard, always on time, stayed late, learned everything i could. Promised job promotion and pay increase. Received job but no wage increase. worked more positions and hours but without compensation per hour that i was promised
Pros
nice hours, fun work enviorment
Cons
very few benefits, management lies
didn't treat employees very well
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHMarch 31, 2017
rewrapping returned furniture moving furniture to proper locations started returns move to swat after a couple of months returned furniture would be placed on pallets
Pros
healthcare
Cons
short breaks
Don't waste your time
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJanuary 24, 2017
If you just want to be a number, not appreciated, worked like a dog this is the place for you. Customer service is horrible so plan on losing your sales. They can't keep managers. Every year the commission rate changes and keeps getting worse and worse. They have a very high turnover. When they do get good employees they don't appreciate them and take advantage of them.
Lots of disgruntled employees here! Don't waste your time!
Cons
Constant change no stability
Terrible
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHNovember 5, 2016
Communication in the guest services is terrible. They switch everything without telling anybody. Training doesn't exist you get thrown to the wolves. I stayed thinking it'll get better only to get worse. Don't waste your time applying.
Pros
Cons
Connunication, training, leadership, no follow threw, playing favorites
Awesome Work Envioronment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 14, 2016
The product is beautiful and the employees are very nice. Great place to work!
I received great training and it continues throughout my tenure. I feel appreciated and the leadership is great.
Pros
great people, hours, pay
Cons
weekends
Great place to work if you have ambition
Furniture Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington pikeOctober 12, 2016
I have worked at this company for 7 months now, and it has been a great experience. Everybody that I have met from the president down to my coworkers on the sales floor have been incredible. There is ample training, and opportunities to make this a viable place for long term employment. I plan on continuing to learn and grow with the company.
Pros
ample opportunity to make great money
Cons
weekend work
Lots of changes in the last year
Corporate Employee (Current Employee) –  Fairborn, OhioOctober 10, 2016
I have worked for this company on two different occasions. There are good days and there are stressful days but I believe that this would be the case at any employer. There have definitely been more good days than bad days and the company is constantly trying to change and improve. I think that a good attitude is key to making your work environment bearable. I see a lot of old reviews on here that I can verify are no longer applicable just from 2014 and 2015 especially when related to the HR Department that has been totally revamped. The culture is changing and slowly but surely the changes are becoming evident. We have a lot of great people working here who have been here for a very long time and who keep coming back when other jobs don't work out. That in itself tells me that Morris is just as good a place to work as the next company.
Pros
great co-workers, excellent HR team, flexible office schedules
Good Company to Work For
Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 10, 2016
Good company that is experiencing growth in Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati. Building a winning culture that takes time. Co-workers are great and friendly.
Pros
Good team;
Cons
Retail hours
Growing company where there are some growing pains AND they have a great driver/asst pay plan and new warehouse progressive pay
Sr Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairborn, OHOctober 10, 2016
The day goes quickly, you come in do your job, have some fun and go home.
There are extended hours - and you are expected to step up and help out.
All in all - I have a good time.
Pros
The leaders are nice and care about their associates
Cons
busy season is very busy! if you like OT they have plenty for Thanksgiving deliveries
Growing company with a lot of opportunity for growth!!!!
N/A (Current Employee) –  Fairborn, OHOctober 10, 2016
Morris Furniture is a company that is growing and providing more and more opportunity for their employees by the day. When I started the culture wasn't the best, but in the last year has really made huge strives on caring for their employees and making sure growth is something that is cared about with each employee.

Morris has many different opportunities to thrive in, including Sales, Guest Services, Operations, Delivery, Corporate, and many more. I've seen a large amount of employees promoted in the year and a half that I've been employed. This is a very positive thing to me that they want to see their internal employees thrive before giving opportunity to outside employees.
Pros
Sales=Great comp plan, fun competitions, fast paced environment. Other=opportunity for advancement
Cons
As with most companies, changes are being made within. Change can be scary to some.
Toxic
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fairborn, OHSeptember 4, 2016
Stay away from this place. Very toxic, stressful no home life. Your body will breakdown faster than you know & you'll still be expected to do the job or quit. You're just a number at this place. They run their trucks & drivers illegal against DOT regulations.
Pros
Meeting new ppl
Cons
Everything you did inside that building before making deliveries
Great place to work would work there again great staff had fun working there
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHJanuary 19, 2016
One of the greatest jobs I ever had wish I could return I recommend anybody looking for a great place to work then apply at Morris everything you would want out of a job would love if they hired me as an associate again
Pros
Great Job
Cons
There is none
Work Harder... NOT smarter here
confidential (Current Employee) –  Fairborn, OHJanuary 1, 2016
In the beginning, I was very excited to start my career here, but quickly came to realize there was a reason why they can't retain talented people.

In my observation, the reason for such high turnover and disgruntled employees is the direct affect of HOW the place is managed. They have created a culture in which employees are not trusted to make decisions (even menial tasks) without first discussing with or involving a manager. Not only does this deflate any sense of ownership or pride in doing a job, but also leads to a lack of productivity when managers are absent. It is embarrassing when vendors take notice, but they [vendors] often are empathetic to the situation.

Don't be fooled; there is no such thing as an "open-door" policy here. If you express your opinion, and it differs from those in management, you become a target and will quickly be ostracized. I learned the hard way and was excluded from discussions/meetings on projects that I was directly involved with. I was never given the courtesy of an explanation- was just no longer involved.

There is a culture of "on a need-to-know basis" and ZERO transparency which leads to a cesspool of gossip. With so many talented people that have left, you'd think the executive "leadership" would get a clue...but it is NEVER their fault, and they will never take accountability. They play the blame game all too well.

In just one year, I have witnessed approx. 15 seasoned employees leave (this is just at corporate). There are many others that have confided that they are also looking elsewhere and will accept the first job
  more... offered to them just to get out. This should raise a red flag to the lack of leadership and toxic culture at Morris.

On a side-note: There is an unofficial rule that employees are not allowed to park in the space closest to the entrance, as this is unofficially reserved for the CEO. However, there is no sign or nothing in the policy manual. If you park in his unofficial spot, you will be asked to move.

If you are looking for a forward-thinking, innovative company to grow with, Morris is not for you.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, bathrooms, water fountains, coffee makers
Cons
Management style, lack of leadership, low salary, outdated computers and software, restrictive internet, lack of trust, condescension, narcissism
Terrible company
Hourly worker (Former Employee) –  fairbornSeptember 22, 2015
Was with them now for a couple years. They have fired key people and the new management is a wreck. The new operations manager is a total nightmare. Don't work here unless you like being pushed around and no communication.
Pros
Non
Cons
everything under the sun
Terrible company to work for
Management (Current Employee) –  fairbornSeptember 10, 2015
Morris Home Furnishings is a terrible company to work for . They treat people terrible. The HR department is in its own SILO and no one can talk to them.
They pay terrible, they treat people terrible and the culture of the company is in question as well as ethics.

I believe they are working on getting a UNION in there and good for them as they will protect some people.

Key people that have been there for years even has left
Pros
Cons
listed
Company has Changed.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 6, 2015
When I first started, I LOVED my job and the company.. as the months went by and they started to fire people for no reason, I was scared to walk into work each day with the fear of being let go for no reason.. HR is not helpful at all when you need something. All the company is worried about is making money for them!! I can't say the whole company is bad, just certain individuals. When I was let go they refused to give me my commission check which was close to 5,000 which is money that I worked hard for. Its a sales job so you have to have thick skin or else you will not survive. They do not play fair when it comes to the rules. They will favor people and let them get away with anything but you do the same thing those people do and you are gone. If I were you I would not apply for this job until things change.

What I have learned from my time there was that you can't trust anyone and always have a back up plan. All this company talks about is teamwork, but not once did I see it there.
Terrible company with no moral compass
Showroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 17, 2015
This company recently fired about 30 individuals without warning and refused to provide any reasons or pay the commissions that those individuals had earned the month before. I know multiple people who where cheated out of at least $1000 each.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Upper management will take from your family and put the money in their pockets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morris Furniture Co., Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8