Morton Buildings, Inc. Employee Reviews

You do not want to work here
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Atkinson, ILJune 19, 2017
I worked out of the Atkinson, IL office. It was not a good environment. I worked with mostly felons that constantly made me feel uncomfortable. However, that has nothing to do with the worst part of it all. The management is terrible. It feels like the management doesn't care about you at all. The turnover rate is awful because the foremans belittle you for not knowing everything on your first day. I got let go from the company because I couldn't travel for one week. They wanted me to travel away from my family every single week and one week I couldn't do it so they let me go.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, hard work, terrible management
Got to travel for work
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJune 7, 2017
Great experience building buildings. Learn using different tools and machinery. Got to travel different states and work for other Morton offices. You were paid hourly and were paid bonuses on buildings, also had profit sharing and bad weather pay.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
A young mans job, very physical
Cut-throat and high stress
Building Crew (Former Employee) –  Litchfield, ILJune 1, 2017
If your looking for a job in construction look somewhere else, unless you like to be worked like a dog every single day and talked to like an idiot. I'm not just a disgruntled former employee i have been working a different job for over a year now and i love it (the pay is way better too). The environment at Morton was hostile to say the least. Dehydration and heat stress is a laughing matter to management and if you get the same supervisor i got then you would be working for a downright a-hole with a god complex. On a typical day you show up and start loading the truck, then on the ride to the jobsite you are to sit quietly and not have your cell phone out for any reason (emergency or not) but you are to study prints, or whatever else the boss wants you to do. Then when you reach the jobsite you have until the boss puts on his tool belt to have everything set up for the day then haul his tools to his work area. When you are done setting up then you must quickly get yourself ready and start work immediately. You do not talk to co-workers or stop to think about what you are doing or you will be scolded. You get one break and that is at lunch and you can sit in the backseat of a hot truck or out in the sun. Then after that you get back to work. You never know what time you will be done for the day because it is up to the boss to determine if you got enough done to be able to go home. I once carried a water bottle in my nail pouch when it was 103 degrees outside and my boss threatened to write me up and called me a pu**y. The whole business module is to build a building with four  more... guys in less time than it takes a crew of ten to build the same building. It really is a cut-throat environment. If the building isnt built in allotted time then the whole crew is written up and evaluated. If you think im just being dramatic the crew i was assigned to went through 23 guys in 6 months. Try it out though maybe you'll like it.  less
Pros
Cons
Bully-ish management, poor business module, hostile work environment, no employee appreciation.
Skilled Carpentry Apprentice/ Laborer (Former Employee) –  Wanatah, INMay 23, 2017
MBI was by far the most enjoyable job I've had so far. The work is very physical but if you are a person of grit you will love it. My favorite part about MBI was the management and how respectful they are and how they pushed employees to do their best.
Pros
Having the feeling of accomplishment
Good job long hours good money
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 22, 2017
This is a good place to work long hours but thats how you make good money along with monthly bonuses and a end of the year profit sharing check. the people that work there are good people lots of physical work but i liked that. You do have to deal with the weather conditions it is nice during the wormer weather but kinda sucks in the winter.
Helpful and open to change
Senior Design Project (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILMay 15, 2017
Good overall experience

Willing to quickly cooperate

Set reasonable goals and was flexible with scope

Helpful employees willing to take time to explain things
Good job, decent pay
Crew Foreman (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ILApril 20, 2017
This is a young mans job, I'm not getting any younger. Hard physical work in long hot summer days and cold during the winter. Management expects you to work everyday, bad weather or not.
Benefits
Cons
Micro managing
Very long hours but friendly employees
Wood Worker (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILApril 17, 2017
The hours were very long but the pay was very amazing , the drive was not too bad , but the morning start time to closing time was very
early i didnt mind it as much as much as the closing time.
Great company
Construction/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, OHApril 4, 2017
One of the best companies to work for, wish I never left but family situation dictated the decision at the time. The best products in the industry, Morton has no real competitors only companies that want to be like them. Family owned environment with the backing and financial strength of a national company. Construction crews are the best in the industry with high safety standards. You will not find a company that cares for their staff and customers as much as Morton Buildings does. I was always amazed at the way they took care of customers. If you have the opportunity to work for them take it!
Pros
They are Morton Buildings
Cons
No openings in my area
Management is not all there
Construction Center Administrator (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMarch 21, 2017
The company was family owned, not anymore, they pushed everyone out that had any stock options. The salary is very low and the responsibility is high. New Management is someone in the company with no management experience beforehand. HR is not there for anyone but herself, becareful.
Pros
Some good sales people
Cons
Hr, Management & low wages
Overall Good experience, hard work
Experienced framer/carpenter (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NEFebruary 28, 2017
Working here was a good experience. You get out of it what you put in. It can be tough working here with a family as you might have to work out of town or out of state.
Good people to be around and very professional
Framer (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDFebruary 13, 2017
I loved working for this company. Great learning experience and they train well. The next chance I get I am going back to work for them.
Excellent company to work for
Morton, Il Traffic Manager Admin Asst (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILDecember 5, 2016
Very rewarding job and excellent benefits. Loved my co-workers and the casual laid back atmosphere at the same time as being very busy and working hard. Only left this job to be home with disabled child or would still be there.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Productive crew and very enjoyable workplace
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDDecember 2, 2016
I love waking up and going to work everyday I love what I do here and enjoy the atmosphere at work everyday. Building new and complicated things is what I like to do. The hardest part of the job is how your body feels everyday after work
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Na
Not the greatest
Welder (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILNovember 30, 2016
Not the best experience here. Very culturally unacceptable people. Was lied to about income if tests were passed but didn't happen.
I love my job. There is just no where to advance to from where I am at without relocating.
Construction Center Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSSeptember 26, 2016
I love my job and most of the time the people I work with. The pay scale here is not up to par with the expectations of placed on CCA's.
morton buildings
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Kenton, OHSeptember 19, 2016
Get to work at whenever we go told to then get off when we were done for the day. I learned a lot about building Morton buildings. Management was great. Co-workers were great with helping. Hardest part was trying to keep up.Most enjoyable was seeing all the different buildings.
Pros
work truck
Cons
not enough training
Productive Workplace
Production Manager/ Plant Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hanceville, ALSeptember 15, 2016
Good company, good retention rate, good pay scale and safe work environment. Not a long process to get on officially with them, training process fairly easy
Great Product
Regional Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILSeptember 1, 2016
Morton Buildings has a product that sells itself due to it's reputation. A typical day included communicating with many different departments to ensure that our customer's buildings were manufactured, shipped, and built according to promises made based on daily analysis and communication of such information. Recent management changes have been critical for survival of the company and while I don't work there anymore, I am aware that the work environment is very positive. Morton has very very good employees that are great to work with. It's a great company.
Pros
Great product
Cons
ebbs and flows with economy
Was an enjoyable place to work
Senior Drafting Technician (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILAugust 25, 2016
I enjoyed working at Morton Buildings inc. after all I was there for almost a 28 total years. Yes there were times that I should have left; but things happening within my family made that move to hard to make.
Pros
Free coffee and hot chocolate as well as teas
Cons
Expected to be like a robot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morton Buildings, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9