Morton Salt Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Rittman, OHFebruary 8, 2017
No training or help from upper management, upper management looks down on people below them.
Union Workforce trades are lazy, complainers, giving all their hard jobs to on-site outside contractors, Trades folks are unskilled and you wonder how they got their position. Maintenance Foremen and planners have a clique and are untouchable, yet do nothing of value to make work or production better.
Environment is unhealthy, safety is pushed yet not enforced. Equipment is old and deteriorating causing many batches of salt to be rejected.
Why anyone stays there is question you will ask other than uppity front office folks.
Pros
Cant think of any
Cons
Unhealthy, long hours
Fun but difficult refinery type environment. EXTREMELY safety conscious
Power and Production Superintendent (Salt) (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAJanuary 9, 2017
No typical day at work, challenges daily. Learned what pipes pumped what and went to where. Also learned about the three ways to harvest salt and the numerous types of salt and what they were used for. Had a positive rapor with both unions. At first there was a lot of shift work, but after being promoted, it was a day job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the name recognition and the employer's positive phobia about work safety.
Pros
Safety Safety Job Security Benefits
Cons
Fun and productive workplace, and very safe company when it comes to its employees health and safety.
Forklift Operator/Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Newark, CAJanuary 24, 2017
This is the best company i have worked for. They care about their employees. They take care of their employees with fantastic benefits, a great hourly wage, and provide us with all the safety equipment we need to our job completed in a safe and productive manner.
Pros
Great co -workers and upper management
Cons
Great place to work, except for the temp service
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Rittman, OHSeptember 25, 2016
Nice people with great safety procedures. You get to learn every part of your work station from helpful co-workers. Management tried to really understand and help you find where you'd work best.
Pros
Good work enviroment and co-workers.
Cons
Going through a temp service.
Pays the bills but will run you into the ground
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rittman, OHAugust 6, 2015
Was treated like a 3rd class citizen in a union environment while hourly employees were rarely disciplined effectively. Complete disrespect for education. Management purposely scheduled maintenance outages over weekends and company/federal holidays and specialized in public humiliation tactics. Management either rescheduled or cancelled vacations at will. 60 hour work weeks were expected with no additional compensation. Raises and bonuses were nearly non existent. Raises were barely cost of living which in turn were negated by the increases in health care cost that were passed on to salary employees. Unhealthy environment.
Pros
Safety incentive program
Cons
On call 24/7 no matter what.
Day at work
Customer Supply Chain Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJanuary 18, 2017
Reviewed open Accounts receivable for companies. Called customers to go over issues and help resolve so they can make payments. Forecast what invoices would clear on a monthly basis
tough work environment
Electro-mechanical technician (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJDecember 13, 2016
worked as a electromechanical technician in the salt environment. Cold and hot climates ...warehouse open to outside climates. Steel, moisture, + salt = rust.
Ok
Business Analyst - Brand Finance (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2016
Ok company. Some departments are very sharp others not so much. Not much room for growth or promotion. Moving into a new office is a nice perk.
Friendly, laid back work enviroment, yet productive.
Former Deduction Analyst (no longer employed) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2013
Excellent Company to work for. Friendly, caring co-workers, as well as Management. A typical work day, would start with a cup of coffee from the small dining / fax/copying space, along with toaster & Fridge. Where co-workers chated about upcoming events,new employees, what was to be accomplished that day, or what you hoped to accomplish before the end of the work day.

I would say the hardest part would be when the day ended,and you weren't able to complete all task on your agenda for that day.

The most enjoyable part was the activities lined up for the employees,such as "Secret Santa, and the Christmas parties,as well as outdoor events, such as pinics, and baseball games,as well as meeting your co-workers children and their spouses. A Chance to mingle and talk about each other lives outside of Morton.

Morton was brought out by K+S Group of which I give A Five Star Rating in Compensation / Benefits,culture/values, Job security / advancement,management, and work / Life Balance.

Thanks for the opportunity.
Great Experience
Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  New Iberia, LAFebruary 7, 2016
Great treatment of new employee. Safety is a huge part of the culture. great place to develop career. would work there again for sure
Overall a good place to gain experience
Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Silver Springs, NYMay 2, 2016
During my time at Morton Salt I was able to gain experience in several different fields including: fluid dynamics, HVAC, and project management.
Good
Deduction Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2013
I arrived at 7:00 am, and would turn on computer, organize my desk for the work for the day that I would prepare the night before as my starting point of the day, sign in to all work sites, print necessary invoices and backup detail from emails. I learned a new software SAP as well as the different aspects of the company in order to perfect my job performance. I had no problems with management or my co-workers, the hardest part of the job was not really hard but just dealing with sales and marketing when information was needed from there department, the most enjoyable part was the work, I love challenges and staying busy as well as the contact with others,
Pros
great opportunity
Cons
not to much room for advancement
A great place to work.
Dock Foreman (Current Employee) –  Grantsville, UTMarch 20, 2014
I am responsible to set up my crew each night when I come into work, I assign operators to load trucks and rail cars with product for shipment to our customers. I have learned patience in this, sometimes we run out of product for shipments, we have to reprioritize shipments on a daily basis. Some of the upper management try to help me get the job done by setting up the production plan to include product I need more than other. I supervise a very safe and productive crew, encouraging each worker to submit near misses and to document incidents that they have. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the morale of the workers when certain occasions get taken away, or when we have to force a lot of overtime. The most enjoyable part is knowing I am shipping quality product to our customers.
Pros
Great crew
Cons
Working straight nights
Excellent people to work with, high regard for employees.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Hutchinson, KSDecember 19, 2013
7-1/2 hour days, Monday through Friday. Daily reports, inventory receiving and working with accounts payable to resolve issues and forward invoices for payment. Team work was crucial between departments as all were involved in final product. Management at the plant was organized and supportive of changes to increase job efficiency. Co-workers were cordial and sincere. The hardest part of the job was to resolve AP issues that were years old and kept getting put on a back burner because of time restrictions. The best part of the job was their emphasis on the safety of each employee and how they included us in improvements and rewards.
too many personality issues
general labor, mill operator (Current Employee) –  OhioAugust 12, 2012
long hours, hot work, dark, it is a mine after all
topside work in all weather conditions
no room for advancement
Pros
decent wages
Cons
insurance cost too high, no room for advancement
Horrible experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2015
Worst company culture ever experienced. SAP was introduced and this company could not handle it. Old fashioned management style
Mining
Hvy equip, construction, Journeyman electricia (Current Employee) –  Fairport Hbr, OHJanuary 24, 2015
A typical day is fast paced covering nearly 7 square miles of underground mine. I currently work on anything from 12 volt automotive systems to 13.2kva cable splicing.

Management at this facility is horrible and without focus. They cannot tackle one problem and move on instead they junp from one to another and accomplish nothing. The hourly workers there are great but feel stuck because of the poor management.
Working as a contractor. Good company to work for but they are going under a strict downsizing.
Distribution Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILFebruary 6, 2014
I handle the US and Canada Ice Melt supply replenishment. Learned new shipping methods for ice melt products. Management is ver knowledgeable as they have ben there for years. Hardest part of the job at the current time is not having enough salt supply to meet demand. Most enjoyable part of the job is that it jeeps snowing, which is great for business.
Management is a joke.
Mine Laborer (Former Employee) –  New Iberia, LADecember 22, 2015
Everything is done backwards. Equipment is always down. Very hot underground. Managment team is inexperienced and are hipocrits. You WILL be set up for failure.
Pros
Decent pay and all the hours you want.
Cons
No direction or proper training to be successful.
Most well managed project
OCM Communications/Sr. Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2013
This was one of the most well run SAP Implementations that I have consulted. It was definitely a pleasure working with a team that has implemented Change Management and focused on the stakeholders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morton Salt. Our community is ready to answer.