Motorola Mobility Employee Reviews

Great while it lasted !
Sr. Manager, Mobile Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 6, 2017
It has been while with Mobile Pioneer company. I started my career at Motorola when it was huge conglomerate - had network division, automotive and semi-conductor division. I worked in Mobile - called PCS division in HQ in Chicago and had tons of opportunities to shift internally. It offered great training programs - unheard of in today's environment. I practically did my another master in Telecommunications, and then additionally, Green Belt Six Sigma (in product development - which Motorola invented). Motorola also invested my continuing education - Program Management Masters in my MBA so I owe it them to where I am today as a professional.

Though, it has lots of flaws. Couldn't decide on focusing on what product lines to invest in, what chips, what OS - and while it tried to prune those, it again mushroomed back to huge portfolios - credit to old boy's club who ran the organization and were into empire building. Another mistake was that they couldn't reinvent themselves, software was considered after-thought most of the time until Android Strategy was adopted in 2009. Post Google acquisition in 2011, no clear strategy on how these assets would converge. It was the 2nd class citizen to Google, as most of the manager's from Motorola were replaced by their own. Eventually, leading to mass-layoff in my organization and then selling off MMI to Lenovo in 2013 (I wasn't part of it then). Though, if I were to start again, I would choose to do with them again (in that period).
Pros
Innovative Products, Good Brand, Internal Opportunities, Mature Processes and Good training programs
Cons
Layoffs continually, throughout most of my time there, Company not in its prime.
Productive and challenging work place
Tableau Developer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 6, 2017
Motorola Mobility Inc was a very Productive and challenging environment. We had everyday challenges to face with the work. Our team was very supportive and my manager as well.
Great people to work with but
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2017
after a couple a rounds of layoffs, many have been let go and not sure about what will happen the Mot Mob in the years ahead.
Motorola Mobility is a great company
Senior Staff SWE (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMarch 1, 2017
Motorola Mobility is my first company and I leaned much and very happy worked with lot's of talent colleagues, and I got much from Motorola.
Motorola Mobility was a great place to work
Platform Integration Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2017
Motorola Mobility was a great place to work, but with the company has had problems being profitable and as such has continued to reduce it's work force.
Pros
salary
Cons
job security, work life balance
lots of changes
Executive Administrative Assistant- Law Department (Current Employee) –  Libertyville, ILFebruary 10, 2017
lots of changes - moving management all the time and no room for any advancement. Good benefits and flexible work life. Nice work environment and good people
Good place but too much layoff
Software Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2017
Located in Chicago downtown
Nice working environment
Easygoing atmosphere
But too much layoff
Large groups and slow response
Not good for promotion
Was a great company ....
Senior Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2017
Motorola Mobility was purchased from Google by Lenovo. Lenovo's leadership did not handle the integration of Motorola Mobility very well, sorry to say.
Pros
Greaty technology and challenges.
Cons
Poor company leadership
Innovative
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2017
Motorola Mobility is now owned by Lenovo. Motorola Mobility was an innovative company but did not adapt quickly enough to market needs or market changes.
Productive and Fun Work Place
Sr. Workday Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2017
Explored and learnt New Areas of Work and I'm able to develop couple of new Skills. Management is really supportive and productive
Engineering Valued
Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2017
Engineering culture is very good, and engineering Skill and Ouput Recognized. Work & Life Balance is very good.

High management is not good at long term strategy and making profits.
Pros
Good Engineering Culture
Cons
Not good at long term strategy and making profits.
Technical and highly commited people
Engineering IT Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILJanuary 9, 2017
Motorola Mobility is struggling in today's cellphone market. Currently owned by Lenovo, the cellphone is being transferred over to the Motorola Mobility operations in China.

The people that work at Motorola Mobility are very technical and highly motivated to make a high quality product for the consumer. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the individuals over the course of my career.

The work environment has been very challenging over the past three (3) years due to the completion in the market and all of the cost cutting that the company has had to do.
Employees are hard working and helpful
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2017
Pros
Great people

Cons

Unclear future, many good engineers have left.

Advice to Management
Need direction for technology.
Great engineering talent with excellent products
Senior National B2B and Retail Channel Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2016
Motorola is a brand with a heritage built on quality and innovation. They have the best engineers in the world who are the heart and soul of the products they build and deliver to users.

As part of Lenovo family, there is huge opportunity for a business turn-around. However its entirely dependent on the leadership across organizations to make that happen.
Pros
Great work location, smart, hard working people, innovative products
Cons
Poor management, layoffs driving core talent away
Continuous restructuring
Principal Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2016
Large and constant organization change. Tons of projects got cancelled. Don't think senior management has a clue what tomorrow looks like for Motorola.
Pros
Got to play with new electronic devices
Cons
Long commute
High Energy Workplace with great Tech capabilities
Senior Engineering Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 11, 2016
Motorola Mobility is a high energy, fast paced work place striving to bring the best product to Android users worldwide. A typical workday includes driving to meet aggressive product schedules while always asking "Does this product meet a users needs?".
Motorola Mobility has some of the smartest engineers in the industry.
Pros
High Tech, Fast Paced, Great learning opportunity, Excellent Benefits
Cons
Limited Financially
Dedicated and talented people driving innovation
PRINCIPAL STAFF SYSTEMS ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2016
An iconic American name, Motorola Mobility is the spinoff of the consumer cellular division of Motorola. The people who work there are talented, innovative, and share knowledge freely. The culture is inclusive and supportive.
Pros
Good people, good benefits, competitive salaries
Brining in innovative products to the market
SW Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 28, 2016
It is a good Hi Tech company to work for. Always bringing in something new, innovative products to the market. However, it struggles to sell those and make money. As a result the company is shrinking and getting vanished.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Lays off frequently.
you get to work with very smart people
Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2016
senior leadership and public relations has weaknesses.
the engineers are some of the best in the world.
slow to make decisions, possibly out of touch with the needs of the market.
Open mind and good supporting
Principal Staff Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 20, 2016
Most of employee have a free phone which is test phone and payed by employer. My co-work had an open mind with his/her skill and knowledge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Motorola Mobility. Our community is ready to answer.