Mott Community College Employee Reviews

Fast learning team workplace
Student Supervision (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIOctober 15, 2014
A typical day at work would start early in the morning with all of the students and the agenda for that day with our supervisor. Then we would split up in smaller groups and attend to daily tasks we set in the meeting. I learned to do a lot of different landscaping work throughout the neighborhood we we're assigned to, new things I hadn't done seriously before such as painting homes and planting gardens in vacant lots and at the nearby park. The management for this job was firm but efficient. My supervisor would be hard on us at times but it was only because he wanted us to do our very bast while at work and utilize our time effectively. All my co-workers were peers close to my age but no one older than 19, we all got along from having so much in common. The hardest part about the job was working outside in the sun all day on long summer days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the praise we would get from the neighborhood residents for making the community a nicer place.
Pros
a lot of guaranteed hours
Cons
dangerous workplace, frequent on site accidents
An excellent place to work and grow.
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Flint, MI CampusApril 24, 2014
I was hired as an accounting clerk through a work study program. I have great experiences here. I work directly with the accounts payable department. I process all the mail, then check all purchase orders and requisitions for approval. I then process all blanket purchase orders, and file them or begin to alphabetize for the run of checks. I also verified all checks which were written for that day. My co-workers are a group of intelligent, hard working, dependable people that always get whatever task needed complete. I have been able to gain experience well beyond my level of education from this job. I would have to say the hardest part of the job was going to school and trying to work. But in being the hardest part, it was also the most enjoyable part as well.
Pros
gained experience in accounts payable and office procedures.
Cons
it was a student job, and when i graduate, i cannot stay.
People orriented community
Office Aide (Current Employee) –  Flint, MichiganMay 28, 2015
On a typical work day I file folders, meet and greet students or past students of Mott Community College, answer phones and enter data into Microsoft Word and Excel. We also have a data entry application by the name of SARS. I learned more about computers and the different sites and how to use the desktop all in one. The environment is gentle and smooth for the most part, then we also have days where its fast paced and we have to move quickly. My co-workers are mature and we work together to help our company grow. The hardest part of the job is when the semester is about to end when a lot of students comes in to schedules appointments and get new referrals. I enjoy meeting new people and learning more about the students at Mott and in my community.
Student success
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 10, 2015
A typical work day was working with students meeting the class objectives resulting in student employment. I learned that most students were registered for the class to learn. Management empowered me to meet the student objectives. Instructors concentrating on their work assignments with very little time for team (together everyone achieves more) work. The maximum number of students in each class was twenty five. The hardest part of the job was helping the slow learners to keep up with the rest of the class. Assistant Instructors were assigned on a volunteer basis to help others. The most enjoyable part of the job was to let the students know on a regular basis that if they are having a little bit of fun in class they will learn more.
I have met some very good people working at Mott. It was a very positive experience in my life
Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 26, 2014
I started the day by turning on all computers and making sure all the equipment was functional and working. I learned about the nursing degree while learning and completing my own degree. I have met some of the most passionate people in my life working at the Lab and come away with lifetime friendships. The hardest part of the job was learning the medical terminology to be able to hand out the right equipment which was also the most enjoyable part of the job because of the faculty and students were as willing to teach me about nursing as I was willing to teach them how to utilise the computer equipment.
Great Place To Work
(College Work Study Student) (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 17, 2014
I am a college workstudy student working at Mott Community College. I work at an extension center in lapeer, michigan for the college. I am the Building and Groundsworker here. I do keep the grounds looking nice and clean for students and faculty for a professional appearance. Also i work indoors helping whatever is needed. I have a good work ethic and always busy at the job. The management at the Lapeer Extension Center is great the best staff around so is my co-workers. The hardest part is that i am ready to graduate in May and i have to leave the job.
Pros
great place to work for, great people, friendly
Cons
part time
A good first job experience
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 11, 2013
There was no typical day at work because you never knew what to expect. Being placed in an office setting helped me learn that working in a professional business setting can be very challenging. Since I was also placed at a park I learned that work can be hard but you have to persevere to the end. The overall experience taught me to take initiative. My management was the best and so were my co-workers. The hardest part about the job was enduring the heat when working outside the most enjoyable part was working.
Pros
having lunch provided and working everyday.
Cons
the summer heat
Community Service and Outreach goes above and beyond expectations
Recruitment and Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 15, 2013
A typical work day would generally consist of organized chaos.

I learned that you always had to be prepared fr anything a routine was never really an option.

The hardest part of the job was knowing that even though you put forth all of your effort you still can't help everyone.

I enjoyed the community outreach aspect of the job, it gave me opportunities to connect with the public which in turn allowed me to help serve our students better.
Pros
diversity in the workplace
Cons
lack of structure
Fun workplace, Nice and respectful staff
Michigan Works (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 3, 2015
Café for breakfast, lunch and snacks whenever you please. Work on the floor and stand by the sides of ones in need. If someone needed you assistance they can raise their hand and you assist them no matter their gender, what they look like, or what type of assistance they needed. You could choose you lunch time and take lunch and a break during the day with vending and other options available. You could also work behind the desk gathering together paperwork most customers are in need of.
Pros
Helping others in need
Cons
Becoming frustrated
Sit Down Doing Data Entry
Data Entry/ LandScape (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJanuary 24, 2013
A typical day at work would be to enter data entry that comes in either through the day or week. What i learned is that i increased my typing skills and can get done with my task very quickly. The management was okay. My co-workers were very fun and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job i have to say it really wasn't one for me. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and being, and getting to learn new things.
Pros
long lunch breaks, sit down job.
Cons
rude people, sometimes boring
Mott Community College
associate professor (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 14, 2014
Everyday was a new experience. Even though I had the same students during the semester, they each had different problems and challenges that made the day very different. For example, on a day that I would introduce a new assignment I would set aside the entire class period to discuss the assignment. One class would not have any conversation about said assignment while the other class would run out of time talking about it.
Very social environment in an office setting.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJanuary 23, 2013
This work-study job was a great setting for students who needed work while attending school. Deliveries were made across campus, homework was logged in Microsoft Excel for the distance learning students, and flyers where mailed out to all students monthly.
Pros
being able to schedule work hours around school hours.
Cons
low income received and job security was dependent on financial aid disbursed.
Highly professional atmosphere
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 13, 2013
I totally enjoyed working in an educational institution with such high commitments to excellence.

The staff was very helpful and wanted to assist me in my endeavors. The hardest part of the job was having to leave.

The most enjoyable was that periodic off-site staff meetings
Pros
excellent values and professional atmosphere
Cons
not a lot of advancement opportunity; people were generally pleased with their jobs
A nice job for a college student.
Clerical Aide (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 18, 2014
I learned how to do data entry and about customer service. The supervisor is great, very understanding. My co-workers are enjoyable people who are fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude people, but this didn't happen very often. The most enjoyable part was helping people. Loved it here!
Pros
homework could be done in free time.
Cons
only allowed to work a max. of 25 hours a week.
Professional work environment. management was exceptional and respectdful
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 20, 2013
A typical day at work would be always dealing with customers. Answering phones and questions from anyone interested or curious in student employment at Mott. Making copies and updating information in the on/off campus job book. Updating spreadsheets into the computer system. Preparing folders for upcoming student orientations.
Wonderful place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MIOctober 30, 2012
Working for Mott Community College was rewarding and fulfilling. This position allowed me to utilize my knowledge in Microsoft Programs, experience a fast paced office setting, and caused me to realize just how much I enjoy an office setting. Working with great people, giving top notch customer service was key to moving forward in my career.
Pros
paid holidays and sick days.
Productive and fun place to work
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 5, 2012
I just typically waited on students to come in when I was doing group sessions and one on ones I waited also. I learned how to deal with the many learning styles and different people in the world today. My co workers were great. I enjoyed the meeting where we had the food and talked about the things that we could do to get the tutoring program better.
Some of the Nursing instructors need to go
Nursing Student Clinical Rotation (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 19, 2015
The program is good but some of the instructors are ridiculous with not giving the info needed and poor attitudes. Very controlling women. I refer students to a different school. Even the credits are low for all the hours required. Not enough credits to even quality for financial aide. Hardship in many areas
My time @ Mott Community College was truly exciting and very happy.
Welding Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 30, 2015
My day would as necessary and accommodate my class schedule. I would assist the Regional Technology Centers Technician with maintenance and repair of the sophisticated equipment in all the labs.
Pros
Extremely valuable experience in maintenance of many types of complcated equipment.
Rude People
Clerk Aid (Current Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 15, 2013
A consumer was upset about not be able to registered for class, I said in a calm voice polity talking to them I'm sorry. If you would I can go grab my supervisor and she can help you with your situation. I enjoy doing my job I'm a people person and me and my coworkers work as a team to get everything done.
Pros
nice people to work with, nice break and lunch very organize

4.5