Mount Carmel Health

Mount Carmel Health Employee Reviews

Poor work life culture and toxic work environment.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 2, 2016
Management was sometimes toxic and hostile. They tried to discriminate against me for my health conditions. They are not flexible but will change your schedule on a whim. I barely received any feedback and if I did it was usually negative. The case management department is poorly run and under staffed. They don't seem to keep any statistics about patient flow, work burden, and don't attempt to improve working conditions. After I put in my notice my boss was petty and retalitory. I would never work here again.
Pros
Decent benefits.
Cons
Poor work life balance and management.
The Worst! Try another hospital in the area
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 8, 2016
Bad company to work for. Have not received a raise in 3 years and they stop matching 401k. Good people but very bad management. Find another hospital in the area that treats its wotkers right!
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Bad management and no raises or lunch breaks.
Worst
Diet Clerk (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 6, 2016
This has by far been the worst Job experience ive ever had. The management team are terrible. They gossip about there employees and problems instead of fixing them. They over work employees without raises. Every other day there is a new rule that doesn't even apply to being in a hospital. The have a huge nat problem where nats or hair come up in the food. They do not work with you what so ever as far as you mixing your home schedule and work schedule. One of the supervisor reaks of alcohol everyday. If you ask for help they make it a big deal and talk behind your back. Overall a vzery unorganized and messy establishment. I don't recommend this kitchen to anyone. Food is under cook and they laugh it off instead of apologizing
Pros
You paid for your lunch and the food is terrible
Cons
Bad management
Great place to work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 9, 2016
I worked Full Time 3-11 for over a year then Part Time, then Per Diem at this facility. I learned to be organized, to prioritize duties, to delegate tasks and to perfect my documentation. The staff are great although a few bad apples come through now and again. Upper Management has been excellent, The DON is amazing and always is there to listen to you and help you improve. The hardest part of the job for me was having to float between the floors without notice. I like to stay to a strict routine and when floated am always feeling unprepared and nervous. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the staff. I love the LNA's at this facility and if you do you part and help them when needed they are a great bunch to work with.
Pros
Beautiful facility, great training program for new hires, helpful management.
Cons
floating employees frequently
Productive and Fun
Operating Room Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 22, 2016
As an ORA I enjoy my job/work life balance the most. I work with a great team of people who make work enjoyable. I've learned the importance and proper techniques of opening sterile equipment and sterile processing. Management at Mount Carmel needs some improving. There is a lack of compassion for employee concerns. A day at Mount Carmel as an ORA is very easy going. I enjoy working along such a wonderful staff of people.
Pros
Employee card can be used for lunches, pay and health insurance are good
Cons
Short breaks, lots of construction
Good place to work. People are friendly but the enviroment in healthcare as a whole is hectic. This is not a place for the person who is lazy.
System Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 6, 2017
Mission focused Catholic Healthcare provider that offers opportunities in a wide range of areas. Due to expansion of facilities and growth in marketplace it is a place for those who are able to work without a lot of direction.
Pros
Mission focused
Management Rocked
Telemetry Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 2, 2017
Manager had an open door policy, whether you told her what she was doing wrong or if you told her what you would like to change she never let it bother her and she would do whatever she could to help us.
The typical day was pretty monotonous but not horrible, the room tends to be a bit dark and you are side by side with each other but not horrible.
We always had "tests" to check our knowledge monthly. It wasn't graded but lets them know what needs to be addressed.
Co-workers meshed well.
The hardest part of the job is getting the nurses to answer phones and take what we said as knowledgable.
The best part of the job was knowing we were actually helping patients even though no one saw us.
Hospital
PCT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 2, 2016
Overall everyone is very nice, however there are a few people that are rude and nasty with pretty much everyone who works there. Upper Management is very personable and you can go them with any problems that you have. If you have medical problems or personal situations, I would suggest that you ask about them during an interview because they have a "no fault policy" which means Doctors excuses, etc count against you. Also if you are a minute passed shift start, its an automatic point against your attendance.
Pros
Cheap Insurance, Great Benefits
Cons
No Fault Policy, Rude People
Not A Career Move
Telemetry Technician (Current Employee) –  CSC, OhioNovember 24, 2015
I worked as a Telemetry Technician there and management was absolutely horrible. They told us from the gate that this was not a career, there is no room for advancements and you don't get raises outside of the tax increase. Wage is all over the board depending on "experience" but it's still below the average telemetry tech salary. The turnover rate is worse than a call center. Some of the other techs are very catty, petty and immature. You can't transfer within the company until after a year in your current position. You can't transfer ever if you have a write up for anything. You can get wrote up for anything! Being even 1 minute late is considered an absence whether you come in or not. Policies suck! They will hire just about anyone so if you need a quick job, apply but don't plan to stay.
Pros
more than minimum wage, higher weekend and holiday pay
Cons
less than average salary, terrible management, work every other weekend and every other holiday
Love co workers
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 7, 2016
This place is horrible Mount Carmel Neurology West. Do not waste your time. Management is horrible, and they talk to you like your kids
Pros
Use badge for lunch, gift shop etc. Nice co workers
Cons
Bad management. Not a good job for an MA
Great clients
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2017
Greet and register people then Order the labs needed, draw their blood or get them the necessary containers and directions for the test being done.
Process the specimen and get it ready for transport to the core lab. Check
orders to make sure everything was ordered correctly. Complete wait time
and submit it to my supervisor. Make sure nothing is expired in the lab.
Centric Leadership Style that does not Adapt
Billing Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 14, 2015
The company lacks innovation and incentive to maintain, retain, and recruit talented healthcare professionals. Additionally, the lack of using technology and educated personnel to advance the non-clinical operations assets of business is very apparent.
Pros
Cons
Leadership, culture, compensation
Fast Advancement
Supervisor of Outreach Registration (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 1, 2017
Before my 90 day probation was completed I was promoted to supervisor. My typical day at work consists of managing the work flow. I have learned about their systems.
I like my job expectations meaning I like doing my job
Medical Practice Rep (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 9, 2016
I loved my job at the doctor office I worked for and I got along with my fellow employees. I caught on really fast I worked there for 11 months then we got a new manager and she really didn't bring to much to the table she actually lost 6 people including a Doctor in the short 3 months she started there.
Pros
Working until 12 on Wednesday
Cons
Manager
Caring and supportive management, wonderful coworkers
Patient Financial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 17, 2015
I worked at St. Ann's for 6 years and Mount Carmel East for 4 years. I loved both places and only left because I moved 2 hours away. Both places I felt like family, and always had a caring and supportive management and coworkers. The pay is competitive and the benefits are excellent. I highly recommend working there.
Pros
401k matching, discounts for Verizon, discounted insurance premium
Poor Place to Work- Poor Management-Poor training
patient financial specialist-2 (Former Employee) –  east-corporate centerDecember 26, 2015
pre-planned services and central scheduling.
They (Mount Carmel) utilize 5 different systems to complete the patient registration process. A new hire has a grand total of 2 weeks training on these systems- before being placed on the phones. A seasoned employee will tell you they had 3 months training when they started. Yet a new employee is put out on the floor to ask questions of the "leadership team" Who frequently reply "I will get back to you on that" and it never happens. You are expected to flip between these systems, and manage the patient needs, while on the phone with them, and often you make mistakes (trial and error)
Their expectations of reaching out to patients (8-10 an hour) is unrealistic- recently this was increased to 13 an hour. You have little or no management support, but all of the accountability. Employees are reduced to keeping their own records of "transactions" due to the mistakes made by the supervisor; which by the way does not mean anything to management, when they plead their case.-The supervisor is always right?
Currently, employees refer to this high turn over rate as "the revolving door policy" indicating they too have doubts of job security.
Mount Carmel says they are all about the patient, however when quality care has to take a back seat to the "numbers game" One questions the validity of the sentiment.
A cut throat environment from the very people who were there to "help" you make it at Mount Carmel.
Pros
Potential Great Place to Work- if it had better management- great benefits pkg
Cons
no job security- ineffective management-maybe they need better training
Mount Carmel
Patient Financial Services Trainer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 12, 2015
I have worked at Mount Carmel for 16 years and there is little chance for advancement, they usually hire outside of MCHS.
benefits
Cons
no advancement unless you are friends with a manager
It not what i expected. They treat u wrong
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 7, 2016
The place is awful. It shouldnt not b call st anns. They treat u like ur on the streets. It's dirty. The restroom have paper all over the floor. Very dirty. People r so fake. Housekeeping manager r all fake. They talk be hide ur back. Don't help out. Need knew housekeeping managers.
Pros
Food is not free.
Cons
You get 2 breaks. A 30 min break. And a 15min break
Great
Patient Financial Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 18, 2016
Great place to work for and pay. I love the atmosphere. Nice to work with people willing to communicate and help.Good work life balance.
Good
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJune 29, 2016
a peaceful place with amazing staff members you'll have hands on experience with a lot medical equipment. There is away opportunities to move up
Pros
good people
Cons
sad moments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mount Carmel Health. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8