Mount Holyoke College Employee Reviews

Slow paced job
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MANovember 4, 2017
This job had very limited tasks, and involved you to be able to work at a slow pace in order for the tasks to last all day. The hardest part of the job was finding where the janitor closets were, and figuring out which chemicals to use to clean.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
slow shifts
Fun place to work.
Staff Sergeant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAOctober 18, 2017
Beautiful environment with many good people who work well together. Inclusive environment with many opportunities to network and engage with peers and students.
Pros
Wonderful environment
Cons
Limited opportunities to advancement.
A lot of fun being a TA
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MAOctober 16, 2017
I've definitely found a lot of joy in being a TA. It's very rewarding to hold office hours and explain theoretical concepts to students. I'd definitely recommend!
ARC Van Driver (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 27, 2017
New challenges available on a daily basis. When not driving I work in the office sorting mail, processing packages, taking photo ID's and waiting on students
Pros
friendly enviroment
Wonderful team and colleagues
Head Coach (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 16, 2017
Was able to further develop my coaching skills. Enjoyed coaching those who ran for me. My colleagues were wonderful and always willing to help one another.
Great work enviroment
ARC Van Driver (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MAMay 15, 2017
The position I hold is academic year. I drive the students with accessibility issues. It is a wonderful place to work and I have learned a lot. When it is slow I work in the Office checking in packages from US Mail, UPS, FEDEX and DHL. I also check packages and mail out as students come in to pick them up.

There is no hard part of this Job. I enjoy meeting and speaking to the students from all walks of life and different countries.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
Terrific place to work - diversity and multiculture
SQL Developer (contract) (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAMarch 16, 2017
It was a pleasure to work at Mount Holyoke College - great environment, beautiful college and landscape. You can take a walk during the lunch or attend the gym.
The college is located close to UMASS, Amherst and Smith,
you can attend many cultural events and meetings.
Superb undergraduate education at a historically all women's college
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MADecember 1, 2016
I am a language student in my final year of undergraduate education.
I work as a tour guide for the Office of Admission. I also work as an Italian language tutor. These are excellent positions that have helped me learn many things about leadership and communication.
Worked as a custodian
Lead Custodian (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAAugust 22, 2016
My family went through a terrible time, I took some time off during the summer to spend with them. They fired me. If they want you gone they'll find a reason
Pros
Great pay
Cons
They could care less about you
Good place to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 1, 2016
I worked for my academic advisor in her linguistics lab. I would run subjects for various experiments including my own which I designed as a part of an independent study project. Through this experience I was able to hone my customer service skills, as well as my critical thinking and research abilities. My advisor helped me to develop my research skills and was an inspiration to work under. My co-workers were other students who were in the same lab. I enjoyed working with them because I was in a different major than the majority of them so it was always interesting to talk about what they were learning. The hardest part of my job was the downtime that I had between subjects. I usually used this time to work on my own projects or homework but it could be a bit boring sometimes. I'm really good at entertaining myself though so it was not too bad at all. The best part of my job was the satisfaction that I got out of seeing the results of my experiment and talking to my advisor about what I had learned. Even if the results meant that I needed to tweak the design of the study, seeing that I had made something was really rewarding for me.
Pros
Able to design and run my own experiment
Cons
Lots of downtime
Lab Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MADecember 3, 2015
Working in the lab was helpful as provided experience and left me with a sense of confidence. The lab was very interesting and I enjoyed learning how it functioned.
productive and fun
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAAugust 23, 2015
I assisted with cleaning dishes and silverware. I stocked the food items. I cleaned the kitchen and dining room.I enjoyed my day. I assisted the cooks.
Depends Greatly on Manager
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJuly 27, 2015
Your experience at MHC will depend greatly on which program you work for and who your immediate supervisor is. I was not a member of the faculty.
Looking forward to going to work.
On call van driver (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJanuary 28, 2015
An extremely enjoyable place to work. I learned some of the customs of several countries from the students. My department was very well managed. Most co-workers were team players. The best part of working at MHC were the fellow employees and students. Most difficult was having to leave.
Pros
Very well paid for being part time.
Cons
Saying goodby, to friends I had made, on graduation day.
Flexible work schedule, good vacation and sick time.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJanuary 11, 2015
Great benefits if your daughter goes to college there. Beautiful campus, free fitness center with indoor swimming pool, tennis courts, and trails on campus. Health insurance including dental and vision benefits, life insurance options. On campus technology training available.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Promotion
Challenging with an opportunity to learn and grow.
Fleet Driver (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MASeptember 19, 2014
One of the best places to work. The work did not seem like work but an opportunity to grow and develop skills while helping others.
Pros
The community and the people that I interacted with.
Was like being part of a family
Singer, Chorale Alto Secretary (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 17, 2014
I was elected to be the Alto Secretary of my college's Chorale. I was required to take attendance at each rehearsal, share board meeting minute taking responsibilities, and general duties to make the year go smoothly.
productive, creative and supportive and very diverse.
French Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAApril 25, 2014
If you really want to work and study in a challenging environment, Mount Holyoke College is the best place to be. I am writing about MHC in two perspectives: a teacher and a student.

Teaching at MHC was the best experience in my life. lt was a personal and professional growth. A typical day will be getting up early, reviewing your class preparation and materials, going to class and make sure you give the most of the day"s lesson and really interacting well with the students along with seeing the big signs of understanding on their classroom activities. After class you might be doing extra activities to help the students improve like my colleagues and l used to do every Tuesday called The French Table. You will find very studious students who love challenge and excellence.

The hardest part of it was being a teacher and a full time student. l barely had free time for myself but it was such a great learning process as a learned to be multi-task.

It was very enjoyable to have a opportunity to be part of the many cultural activities organized on campus,
Pros
always enough food available for all students.
Cons
very busy life.
exciting campus to work on lots going on
Executive Line Cook (Former Employee) –  every doom on campusMarch 31, 2014
Set-up work station
Wash and unwrap fresh fruits and vegetables
Weigh, evaluate, and mix ingredients
Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food
Prepare and cook food in keeping with recipes, quality standards and presentation standards
Operate stoves, grills, fryers, ovens and microwaves
Test foods to verify if they have been cooked adequately
Monitor food quality while preparing food.
Serve food in appropriate portions onto suitable receptacles
Wash and sanitize tools, knives, kitchen area, tables, and utensils
In depth knowledge of hygiene, hand washing and safety codes.
Pros
staff and studen life
Cons
magement and how dinning services is ran
Perfect job for learning and a balance between work and school.
Information Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  South Hadley, MAJune 10, 2013
This job was a perfect fit for me because I was a student athlete at Mount Holyoke College so scheduling work into my life was made easier by the job being flexible and at athletics complex. I learned how to schedule events, maintain equipment and to protect the space and patrons of the complex. My supervisors were exceptional, always understanding and approachable. The hardest part of my job was having to disappoint patrons when there were scheduling or payment discrepancies, but it also taught me how to be polite and tactful when dealing with difficult customer service situations. The most enjoyable part of my job was greeting individuals and helping prospective families and students navigate the space and program. I was most happy about the level of respect and trust that I received from my supervisors.
Pros
Flexible and supportive schedule and supervisors.
Cons
Early and late shifts.