Mount Sinai Medical Center Employee Reviews

Productive place.
Business Associate. (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2014
A typical day at work can be very productive. I have learned some Inpatient billing, which I did not know before. Management is very professional and they expect the best of their employees. My co-workers are also very professional and helpful, we all get along and respect each other. The most hardest part of the job is to try to accomplish all the assigned work right on time, and the most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to clear all the cases successfully.
Pros
good company
Cons
the commute is not convinience.
Productive, fast paced, friendly enviornment
Medical Records Associate / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2013
Receptionist: Retrieval of records for clinics and hospital personnel’s. Assist patients with release of medical records within their hospital stay. Interact with several applications to perform my daily duties. Applications such a as Soft med, Cerner, On base, EDR and Epic. Assist insurance companies with inquiries on patients and the reason for their billing. Answering of the telephones to assist callers with what is being requested, transfer calls if necessary.
Pros
healthcare, lunch-ins
Cons
short breaks, bias union representatives
Productive workplace
Insurance Administrator, Risk Mgmt Dept (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at work for me is very busy. I usually communicate with the Hospital Administrators on a daily basis as well as the physicians who are in need of renewing their insurance coverage.

I have learned a lot while walking here at Mt. Sinai Hospital.

The hardest part of the job is getting everything done by the end of the day.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with my co-workers regularly.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
commute
wonderful place to work
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 7, 2014
Working in an ER definitely has it's challenges. I learned patience and how to handle patients with needs and urgency. Lovely medical staff. The hardest part of the job is not being able to do more for the patients while they are waiting for medical treatment. The best part of the job is interacting with people from all walks of life.
Pros
4 days off a week and benefits
Cons
long 16 hour shifts
Steady job with good work/life balance
IRB Analyst I (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2012
An extremely busy work place with a team oriented environment. Mostly independent work but there is always someone to answer questions which taught me how to be well organized with my work. However, at times management of the team was at times very erratic and not all the teams were not in sync which caused some tension between colleagues.
Pros
set work hours
Cons
lack of proper management
I've worked with Mt SinaI Medical Center since 2013. Patient centered and excellence are the values on this hospital.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLJanuary 10, 2016
exposure to complex conditions. working in a teaching facility, a doctor is always there 24/7. Good clinical staff; pro-employee administration; good benefits; friendly and helpful co-workers.
Pros
Great people to work with. Family environment
Cons
limited staffing. some times short on cna, nurses, therapists.
productive teaching medical center
Surgical Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami beach,FlFebruary 2, 2015
As an employer at mount siani medical center for 8 years i experince alot hands on training different things, patient care, inventory, filing, dealing with different cultures background understanding how too relate to their needs. the company carries life supplemental insurance, 401k, health insurance etc.
Pros
discounted lunch rates, medcines, health services as an employee
Cons
7minutes grace period before clocking in
fun place to work
Physician Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2015
typical day was scheduling, answering phones, assisting doctors with various needs, assisting patients with various needs.

i learned patience. my co workers were a true example of team work. we all cross covered for each other. we all helped each other.

the hardest part was authorizations for services needed. working with medical insurance companies can present a true challenge.
Pros
free lunches from drug rep companies.
Cons
short breaks, demanding atmosphere
Opportunities are limited...
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2014
Mount Sinai is a great place to build your portfolio! They offer job placement for all walks of life and everyone is treated like equals, partners and friends.

The biggest challenge posed for employees is monetary compensation, their salaries are low incomparison to other institutions.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of gratitude I feel each time I help a patient.
Pros
opportunity for advancement
Cons
lower competitive salaries for current employees
Very Busy environment
TELEPHONE OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2012
It is a very busy call center where I can easily take over a hundred calls on a day to day basis. It is a very fast paced, hectic environment where you have to be able to make quick and accurate decisions when emergencies present itself. I am also dealing with hospital staff on a day to day basis which can include from logging them in to our records to giving them new pagers.
Pros
great union
Cons
no permanent schedule
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Billing Coordinator, FPA Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2013
Mount Sinai Medical Center, like many hospitals, contain many different departments and profit centers, each of which is run almost as a separate business or entity within the facility. Each department provides many hospital job opportunities in a variety of interesting roles. This is an establishment that reward hard working and dedicated employees.
Pros
on the job training.
Cons
choice of health coverage limited
I enjoyed working at this hospital the culture was good and my boss was fair.
Customer Service/ Billing Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2016
Worked with 15 employee under my supervision.
Started early finished late after everyone was gone.
Help with checking in and out patients.
worked with many issued in the hospital and with insurance companies, ex Health-first, Medicaid etc.
hardest part of the job was working with difficult employee
However did enjoyed working with patients.
Pros
Worked with a great boss
Cons
very large organization, and very political
Working with Mount Sinai was a great experience great doctors and staff.
Nurse Aux 1 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2012
Overall I loved working with Mount Sinai because of all the people that come in and out of the hospital. Famous actors, etc. My position was an important one so its always good to feel needed and to work with a team of people that want the same thing and that's save the patient.
Pros
benefits and job security.
Cons
co-workers, older equipment and politics.
Not a good place
wont say (Current Employee) –  wont sayFebruary 11, 2013
Not the best place to work. If you are clinician, get ready to be overworked b/c very understaffed. Respiratory Department one of the worst, therapist sleep include supervisors. Code not answered. Some workers given excess work while other watch tv and mangement does nothing about it. plain Lousy!!
Pros
fully equipped, have all the mordern equipment
Cons
hostile work environment

Comment – March 16, 2013

I worked there for a long, long, time. I tried to leave but.... well, I had bills. There is a race to the bottom going on. Managers in my dept. don't last long. Less than 2 years on the avg. whether they are competent or not. Then management of some depts. including mine were sub-contracted out. Comment about Resp. Care is spot on. Constant battle between 1199 union and management. This was especially true of Medical Records and of the Kitchen as far as I knew. Definately a caste system with black & brown at the bottom everywhere and the lone former black athlete in upper management is very quick on the trigger discipline -wise. you will not last very long if this guy is your boss. A lot of negative energy there.Oh yeah, a lone female too. Now the good: docs and interns are treated well and nurses too. Filipina nurses everywhere --ie.--lower pay, but boy they r pretty. Manager, doctors, and nurses generally are motivated but not the hourly workers. Due process is available if you are in the union but write-ups are frequent. Pay and benefits are good. Lots of famous patients come to this hospital. Cardiac surgery is one of the best but the star of that dept. has left for India. Finally if you are middle-aged or in the union, watch your back! They are trying to cut costs and if that weak union, 1199, tries to get in their way, it quickly folds. One day, out of the abyss, they got rid of the entire engineering staff. and subcontracted that dept. out. The same for Bldg Services. If you want to survive there and you are not a doc bringing in new patients or research $$, don't make  more... waves, make alliances, and fly under the radar. The arrogant dudes at the top have figured it all out. I really wish the health care business in NY was competitive.  less

Being a TSA you gain wealth of knowledge
Senior Technical Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLAugust 18, 2015
great place to learn about new technology. also a fast paced environment where the position has great value as the organization and patient lives rely on clinical and non clinical equipment . quick resolution and response is needed in this fast paced environment where there are potential for growth
Pros
learn a little of everything from all aspects
Productive and Educational work environment
Pediatric Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2012
A typical day at work will include a high volume of phone call minimum of 200 calls, scheduling appointment in the pediatric department adn sending messages as well as prescription request to the doctors. My managaer is a very reasonable person who I enjoy working with and so are my co-workers.
Pros
full time employment
Cons
non 1199
Wonderful and very productive workplace
Senior Billing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2012
Working at Mount Sinai has been a great experience for me. I've learned so much while working here. I've learned payment posting, collections, refunds, accounts receivable, scheduling, and insurance verification. My co-workers are very helpful, productive, and assertive. There isn't anything hard about my job. I like what I do and I do it well.
Pros
awesome coworkers & great doctors.
productive and challenging work
Assistant Administrative (Current Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLJuly 21, 2015
I complete a lot of task, challenging people.I have learned to deal with situations quickly and gaining vocabulary. My coworkers are great . They are very efficient and teamwork is excellent. Its demand a lot of my time but i love at the end of the day know that i have a great customer service
Pros
free lunches, good bonuses and personal growth
Cons
short breaks, healthcare
Hard to get a job
No title yet (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2013
I've been applying since 2008 and haven't heard nothing back from anyone as of yet. I really wish they would give other people a chance and not just hire people that knows someone that works there. My dream job always has been mount Sanai hospital and they aren't even giving me the chance to make it reality.
A well oiled machine
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2013
Mount Sinai is a huge hospital. It deal with all kinds of cases. Therefore, one can gain a virility of experiences in this place. The workload is very heavy, so there are many opportunities for over time. However, it is a very in-personal place to work in. If you can work like a robot, then this place is perfect for you.
Pros
very productive, wide range of cases.
Cons
heavy work load, in-personal enviorment.