Mountain States Health Alliance

Mountain States Health Alliance Employee Reviews in United States

Great Coworkers
Generalist, Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 7, 2016
People are great to work with. Very helpful and become like second family. Good company to work for, they just need to catch up on matching employee pay to other establishments in the area
Positive Leadership
RN, Float Nurse, PCU and Medical Surgical (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 3, 2016
This company is fair and ethical to both clients and employees. Good overall morale. Pleasant and supportive co-workers, Shifts are long (12 hours) in nursing, but workloads are reasonable. Premium shifts (I-Choice) are available, allowing employees to increase income if needed.
Pros
Local discounts available, managers work with most legitimate requests for time off.
Cons
12 hour shifts are mostly spent standing/walking.
It's a paycheck
Recovery Representative (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNApril 18, 2016
Very very very low pay, no opportunity for increases based on your performance. Yearly pay increase only happens in very limited situations. They promise incentives but there are so many things that can disqualify you so that the majority of people do not get it no matter how hard they work. They demand super high performance, and focus on the negative and what you did wrong. But you never hear from them if you did well. Coworkers are nice, but you have to be careful who you are friends with. Also, you can bring issues/concerns/ideas to management repeatedly but rarely do they listen.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
Pay, broken promises, no advancement
Chaotic
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAApril 11, 2016
Layoffs every year. Walked on egg shells after every staff meeting! Secretive about what would be happening. Manager did not back the direct supervisor.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Trust issues with Sr. Mgt
Great
Internship (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMarch 28, 2016
Mountain States Health Alliance is a wonderful place to allow your healthcare knowledge base to grow. They are a wonderful teaching hospital with so much to learn.
Patient Focused
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMarch 17, 2016
MSHA taught me from an entry level about the value of Patient-Centered Care. I have not worked for the organization since 2011, but still remember their mission statement.
Good place to work.
Clinical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAMarch 14, 2016
Learned many new skills with this job. Gave me opportunities in different job departments. I believe the most enjoyable part was the people I worked with.
The pay stinks.
worker (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMarch 1, 2016
I think that the pay is too low for all positions in the facility. This is the lowest paying health care company within 150 miles. Benefits are through its own insurance company, and they have a very high deductible.
Challenging and Fulfilling
Radiologic Technologist Mammography (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at my job started with happy "Good Mornings," from the staff and a wonderful patient environment. I learned so much about being a team player, more than anything else, and that we all needed each other to create a successful and upbeat work atmosphere. Management supported our needs regardless of the challenges that we presented. My co-workers were truly go-getters, even when it was difficult to get up and get going. The hardest part of my job was in the technical positioning for patients that had difficulty complying or had limited range of motion physically. The most enjoyable part of my job was the community events and fundraisers that we attended.
Pros
Holidays off, daytime hours
Cons
It was farther to travel than what I wanted
A very productive and nice place to work to expand and use my skills.
Behavioral Health Tech III (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNFebruary 1, 2016
I always enjoyed working here. The coworkers and doctors at this facility were great to work with. I learned alot at this job and enjoyed interacting with my patients. I would say the hardest part of this job was seeing my patients come back weeks later so sick and feeling miserable. I enjoyed helping them the best way I could and they enjoyed me. I am a good listener and always did what I could to make them feel comfortable.
Pros
Expanding skills
Cons
Sometimes a shortage of help
Good short term job
Behavioral Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJanuary 13, 2016
As a tech under previous management the job was enjoyable, good hours, easy to obtain overtime, good staff, zero complaints. Under new management, none of that can be said. Staff is generally great to work with, though staff that is not compliant, does not follow policy, and are generally bad workers seem to get little to no corrective action. All-in-all, a decent company to work for if you get lucky enough to have great management in your department.
Pros
12hr shifts mean less work days but same hours
Cons
High turnover, management rarely listens to staff complaints
Different pace of nursing
Charge Nurse Gero/Psych Unit (Current Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNDecember 2, 2015
The Gero/Psych unit is unique. I felt that I would not like the work, and then I fell in love with how we help people. This unit is unlike a regular hospital unit, as patients wear their own clothing and encouraged to walk the hall for exercise, attend group sessions and talk openly about feelings. It is a lock unit, therefore no one leaves until discharged, which does make it difficult at times. Team nursing is utilized on the unit, therefore we get report together. Nurses are assigned patients, but all the patients are every staff members responsibility. We all give showers, change beds, do patient laundry, assist in meals...etc.
Pros
Lunch most of the time off the unit
Cons
short/no breaks/lunches at times
Not a good place to work
Trauma Registrar (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNOctober 30, 2015
Management doesn't know what anyone does there. Pay is painfully low. Everyone that works there is in the trenches, except Management that does not have a clue what anyone does there.
Cons
great work/life balance....but that's it
registered nurse (Former Employee) –  JCMCOctober 16, 2015
Too much favoritism, no advancement for ppl w experience and ppl who deserved it. Lowest pay I've ever seen, no opportunity for advancement , poor quality of management
Pros
work/life balance
Patient centered care in a team approach at Level 1 Trauma Center
Speech Pathologist, PRN (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNOctober 5, 2015
Challenging, supportive, patient centered care work place. the best part of this job is working along side of a dynamic group of individuals. All departments offer each other team support and guidance. The facility is challenging and supports an autonomous environment.
Pros
Support, coworkers, team
Cons
dynamic healthcare environment
I enjoy my job but not so much may employeer.
employee (Current Employee) –  VASeptember 29, 2015
I have been employed at Mountain States Health Alliance for a number of years. A typical day at work consist of addressing task assigned by supervisors and employees from various departments throughout the hospital. I have mixed feelings concerning management and feel that they do not take the needs of employees into consideration. They consistently take away benefits while raising the cost of health insurance, co-pays and prescriptions cost. I have a great amount of respect for my fellow co worker and the jobs that they do. I love the job that I do but at times have difficulty continuing to respect the co. when it appears that they are not employ centered. The most enjoyable part of my job is the relationships that I have established with co-worker and the hands on work that I do.
Pros
four day work week, friendly co-workers
Cons
health insurance cost, non competive pay, little or no pay increase
Not too bad
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Abingdon, VASeptember 16, 2015
For the most part I have enjoyed working for MSHA. They have their quirks like every place but overall I think it is a good place to work.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short staffed, low pay
Management was very supportive and had a open door policy
NURSING ASSISTANCE/ STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNSeptember 9, 2015
Worked as a Pysch tech while attending nursing school then worked for 6 months as RN after obtaining licenses. Worked night shift.
Great company
Navigator receptionist (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNAugust 27, 2015
Great company. Management in my particular position was not great. Communication was not great either. Co-workers were very nice. Expectations were obtainable.
Pros
company is great
Cons
communication
Very knowledgeable staff, fun environments, willingness to help others.
Medical Assistant Internship (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNAugust 8, 2015
I had the pleasure of doing my externship with MSHA. I went to five different facilities and everyone at each of them were professional and very helpful. I learned the work setting outside of the classroom and it's much different. I absolutely loved it. The management was well respected and appreciated their employees. All of the staff were friendly to one another and very helpful. The hardest part of the job was to not let things bother you. I could see that these employees actually cared about their patients and wanted the very best for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was when patients would leave the office happy. They left knowing they were taken care of by people that cared for them, honestly.
Pros
Free lunches, wonderful staff
Cons
Patients with little to no patience for the healthcare employees